• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
800.jpeg
Mod edit: can we not have pics of dead bears out in the open like that?

https://www.apnews.com/6e7900891c9b...lled-after-attack-on-Arctic-cruise-ship-guard
BERLIN (AP) — Norwegian authorities said a polar bear on Saturday attacked and injured a polar bear guard who was leading tourists off a cruise ship on an Arctic archipelago. The polar bear was shot dead by another employee, the cruise company said.

The Joint Rescue Coordination for Northern Norway tweeted that the attack occurred when the tourists from the MS Bremen cruise ship landed on the most northern island of the Svalbard archipelago, a region between mainland Norway and the North Pole that is known for its remote terrain, glaciers, reindeer and polar bears.

The German Hapag Lloyd Cruises company, which operates the MS Bremen, told The Associated Press that two polar bear guards from their ship went on the island and one of them "was attacked by a polar bear and injured on his head."

The polar bear was then shot dead "in an act of self-defense" by the second guard, spokeswoman Negar Etminan said.
She said all cruise ships traveling in the northern region are obliged to have polar bear guards aboard.

Arctic tourism to the region has risen sharply in the last few years and is now in high season. A Longyearbyen port schedule showed that 18 cruise ships will be docking at the Arctic port in the next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks awfully skinny. Was probably hungry as hell. He's in Polar Bear Valhalla now.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
How do you want me to react to this? Like why do I need to know about this random incident?

These attacks will probably become more common as the habitats and food supplies of polar bears become smaller and smaller and as tourism to the Arctic increases.

Probably good to get used to this shit now or possibly advocate for further protections for polar bears.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it sucks the bear died but its not like it was a random kill for sport. Judging by the title, i thought the guard shot the bear from the ship and claimed self defense.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
but the bear was probably going to kill multiple people if it didn't happen.

-Take tourists to a remote area known for polar bears
-Get too close to polar bear
-Polar bear acts like polar bear
-Kill polar bear "we had to do it to save the humans"

Exactly, bear vs people

Meanwhile polar bears are a threatened species, and the human population will be over 10 billion before 2050, meaning more humans to push into wild areas and have interactions with wild animals that create excuses to kill those wild animals for behaving like wild animals.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
I am glad people have the ability to get on over sized boats, gorging themselves into oblivion and be lead on scenic tours on land with the possibility of seeing a live animal shot. Because as humans, nothing here on this planet is not ours to take.

/s

I am dead inside. But mostly sad. Poor polar bear :(

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
How do you want me to react to this? Like why do I need to know about this random incident?

Maybe this forum doesn't exist to be tailor made to what you do or don't want to see.

You can discuss or question the value of tours like this if they inherently come with the risk of harming the very animals they're meant to be celebrating. Or we can explore if incidents like this are due to food scarcity/climate change.

It's up to us to decide how we want to utilize the topic as a jump off point.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
One day the last wild lion will be killed off when a drunk tourist gets too close and gets mauled, because the 10 billionth human is obviously infinitely more valuable to this planet than the last fucking lion...

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You don't? You chose to come in here?

Anyways this is sad and probably going to keep happening.
Maybe this forum doesn't exist to be tailor made to what you do or don't want to see.

You can discuss or question the value of tours like this if they inherently come with the risk of harming the very animals they're meant to be celebrating. Or we can explore if incidents like this are due to food scarcity/climate change.

It's up to us to decide how we want to utilize the topic as a jump off point.

Sure, I guess. It's just none of that is in the blurb except a dry incident that seemed "fair" and my area of expertise isn't polar bear conservation. The topic could prompt the discussion a bit.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tourists maybe should stop tromping all about in areas that Polar Bears can attack maybe.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad the polar bear died but I don't think the alternative of letting it feast on the polar bear guard is ok either. I'm fine with people killing an animal that is trying to kill them or another person and a polar bear is VERY capable of that.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel bad the polar bear died but I don't think the alternative of letting it feast on the polar bear guard is ok either. I'm fine with people killing an animal that is trying to kill them or another person and a polar bear is VERY capable of that.

Eh, I mean... we can replace polar bear guards. Would be wild if they didn't have any guns and just scarified themselves to save everyone else and also save polar bears. A true hero that'd be.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK

Meanwhile polar bears are a threatened species, and the human population will be over 10 billion before 2050, meaning more humans to push into wild areas and have interactions with wild animals that create excuses to kill those wild animals for behaving like wild animals.
That's not what I meant and I am pretty sure you know it.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Tourists maybe should stop tromping all about in areas that Polar Bears can attack maybe.

I know right. Couldn't just stay in their God damned boat. Gotta go walk on the stupid beach.

See folks at the top? There's a takeaway for you. Stay in your god damned boat so no animals need to be killed.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They could also not put themselves in a position to be within attacking distance of a Polar Bear.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I mean... we can replace polar bear guards. Would be wild if they didn't have any guns and just scarified themselves to save everyone else and also save polar bears. A true hero that'd be.
So you'd sit and watch another person get mauled and eaten by an endangered animal because "There's more people."?

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
It is kind of goofy that they were entering an area that is "known for its remote terrain, glaciers, reindeer and polar bears", and end up shooting a bear in self defense.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
They honestly shouldn't make landfall anywhere that is home to polar bears. I'm sure incidents like these are extremely rare, but it's still fucked up to go on a tour that's about observing these creatures only to end up killing one of them. I don't blame the guard for shooting in self-defense, but the tour should really re-evaluate their overall procedure.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really blame the guards, more the tour for deciding to go to an area with free-roaming polar bears with this being the apparent only precaution taken.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe you'd have a point if the story was about them antagonizing the polar bear. But simply being in a area where wild animals aren't should mean you deserve to die to them.

It's not like they were camping at Yellowstone. You go out to some remote polar bear infested glacier island what happens is on you.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
How dare they not lay down and let themselves get eaten. Look, yes they shouldn't have been there in the first place, but I for one cant blame them for defending themselves when attacked by a bear.
Arctic tourism to the region has risen sharply in the last few years
18 cruise ships will be docking at the Arctic port in the next week.
I think I identified the problem

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
How dare they not lay down and let themselves get eaten. Look, yes they shouldn't have been there in the first place, but I for one cant blame them for defending themselves when attacked by a bear.
They have the right to defend themselves but maybe these fuckers shouldn't be going there, Global Warming has affected these creatures usual pattern of feeding, that Polar Bear looks skinny, it's very hungry, Arctic tourism should be banned until a solution is found to help these creatures...

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like they were camping at Yellowstone. You go out to some remote polar bear infested glacier island what happens is on you.
I don't know if your own logic is working out here because Yellowstone is full of wild animals, some of which are endangered, and is effectively just as 'wild' as where that polar bear lived. So shouldn't hypothetical Yellowstone campers have it coming just as much as the tourists/polar bear guard?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering polar bears are an Endangered Species, I don't know that cruise ship tourists have to go to their home.

In this specific case, the guard had no choice but to shoot the bear unfortunately.

Polar Bear News: "Alien Invaders Kill Again!"

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Polar bear attacked and injured the guard so it ended up getting shot and killed. Uh I don't see the problem, did you expect them to just get eaten by a bear? Smh

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sadly you can get a warning or a ban for saying this because "human life trumps all".

How did they even get close enough for a guard to be injured. Why do you need to get so close to a polar bear. This is like these idiots in safaries that get out of the car and then cry when they get mauled by a wild animal.

Maybe you'd have a point if the story was about them antagonizing the polar bear. But simply being in a area where wild animals aren't should mean you deserve to die to them.
Just don't be close to a wild animal, easy to understand, right? You don't need to pet them if you are not trained or have the knowledge to handle such wild animals.

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Yeah, hopefully these cruises will learn from this situation and avoid letting people land too close to polar bears so this can be avoided in the future.

I don't blame people for wanting to see the arctic, but respect the land and the wildlife.

And c'mon, obviously you can just let someone die, and put more people at risk of death.

Nox Potens

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think I identified the problem

They have the right to defend themselves but maybe these fuckers shouldn't be going there, Global Warming has affected these creatures usual pattern of feeding, that Polar Bear looks skinny, it's very hungry, Arctic tourism should be banned until a solution is found to help these creatures...
I did say in my post that they shouldn't be there. No shit they shouldn't be there, but since they were, should they not have defended themselves from the attack?