• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What are films with starkly polarizing reception from critics and audiences that you love.

mother! - I am a bigger Darren Afronsky fan since I saw Requiem for a Dream, only films of his I didn't enjoy was the fountain and Noah. Reviews and people's impressions of it kept from watching it until last week when I did and loved it very much.

The Neon Demon - after Only God Forgives, I was convinced that Refn was incapable of making another good film until I saw the Neon Demon, it was a fun ride.

Spring Breakers - from the posters and casting, I thought it was your typical teen spring break film, boy was I wrong and was pleasantly surprised.

Lars Von Tier - I feel like this thread applies to most of his filmograhy.

I feel like this goes without saying but the TLJ isn't polarizing no matter what it's very vocal minority thinks.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
It received mixed reviews at the time, but I think The Life Aquatic is an amazing movie and one of Wes Anderson's best.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Starship Troopers was a failure with critics at release but I love it.

Personal opinion here; RoboCop was loved because it mocked an obviously evil topic they could distance themselves from as the "other" (CEO's and unchecked capitalism) while Starship Troopers mocked the pro-fascist elements that pervade the majority of movies, hitting too close to home for said critics.

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
a whole bunch but two that come to mind right away are In the Mouth of Madness which is rotten on RT, but that's one of my favourite films, and everyone shit on Terry Gilliam's the Brothers Grimm but I enjoy it every time I watch it. Also, wouldn't say that I love it but some people call Exorcist II: The Heretic one of the worst movies ever made, imo that's a really interesting film.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
mother!
Annihilation
Neon Demon
Lars Von Trier's Melancholia
Midsommar
Last Jedi, my fav Star Wars
Frozen 2 to a lesser extent where it's been called unnecessary or worse than the first, which I vehemently disagree, and it's in fact my fav non-Midsommar film of the year, maybe even decade

A lot of my fav films get shit talked evidently but I'll continue to love what I love regardless šŸ˜Š

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty much all Haneke movies. Well, Ididn't like Funny Games, that was some lame ass preaching from Haneke.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I've seen mother! just yesterday and immediately that movie came to mind reading the thread title but OP already listed it. I've seen it twice actually and even though that movie is very difficult to watch, I somehow still like it. Can't really explain why.

Feb 1, 2018
Spring Breakers was shit on at release but over the years people realized how ahead of its time it was. So many music videos and such copied the style and it's on like every poser cinephile's list now

It was also the first A24 movie IIRC

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Your Highness.

Prime Danny McBride, DGG, and Ben Best was still involved. And they made a fantasy film that was a comedy not a comedy making fun of fantasy but people act like it's a bad parody movie when it's not, and it has some stuff that is brilliant in it plus an amazing performance from Justin Theroux as Lezar. But it was early in their journey (Kenny Powers wouldn't catch on with the mainstream for another few years) and I bet if it came out now, same general film but with where McBride, Green, and Hill are now it would be received quite differently than it was back then.

TO THE FUCKENING!!!

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
mother! and Only God Forgives.

I also think The Master is PTA's only truly great film. The rest are fine.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Fountain is unquestionably one of the greatest films ever made. I'm not one to usually say this because it sounds pretentious and snooty, but truly the majority of negative reviews (and many of the positive ones) simply didn't understand what was happening in the film.

OP
OP
CassCade

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Starship Troopers was a failure with critics at release but I love it.

Personal opinion here; RoboCop was loved because it mocked an obviously evil topic they could distance themselves from as the "other" (CEO's and unchecked capitalism) while Starship Troopers mocked the pro-fascist elements that pervade the majority of movies, hitting too close to home for said critics.
That's good one and now I want to rewatch it.
I was under the impression that it was universally well received unlike the series ending which I hated myself too.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say that I love any of these, but definitely like them:

The Neon Demon
Batman vs Superman
Sucker Punch
Iron Man 3
Solo
Friday the 13th Part 5
Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2
Showgirls
Silent Hill
Watchmen

I could've probably summed this all up by saying "almost everything Zack Snyder".

Last edited:

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Definitely agree on mother! The Fountain too.

Not sure if it counts but I know loads of people that hated it, but The Tree of Life is one of my favorite movies of all time

Lords of Salem is Rob Zombie's best movie

I really like most of Lars von Trier's stuff, especially Melancholia

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
American Psycho was ahead of its time and is one of the most subversive pro-feminism films of its decade.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Suspiria (2018) is my "Film of The Decade" and one of my all-time favorites, full-stop. While the first watch was like a religious experience, just how insanely dense & ambitious it is truly comes across with subsequent viewings. I've seen it SEVEN times just this year, and honestly can't recall developing such an intense, rapturous obsession with a film before ā€” certainly not as an adult.

It's definitely polarizing. 66% on RT last I checked, and most people either think it's a self indulgent slog, or a masterpiece.

It's a fucking masterpiece!

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Prometheus. I acknowledge all of the valid criticism for this movie damnit do I love it.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018

LOL not a movie I expected to see in this thread but I totally agree it would be received much differently now as opposed to when it was released. I don't think it is a great film but a solid 7/10 stoner flick. It is certainly better than the 27% RT score would lead you to believe.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
American Psycho was ahead of its time and is one of the most subversive pro-feminism films of its decade.
giphy.gif

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Watchmen

V for Vendetta

I guess people don't like them because they deviated from the source material, but I had never read either when I watched the movies and I enjoyed the hell out of them. I still do.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Watchmen (my favorite comicbook movie of all time)
Silent Hill
Interview with the Vampire
V for Vendetta
FFC's Dracula
Brotherhood of the Wolf

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Last Jedi, and having just watched it again on Netflix, I love it even more. It actually gets better the more times I watch it.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The Last Jedi. Like nearly every Star Wars film, it has problems, but nothing that ruins the experience for me.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
The Neon Demon - after Only God Forgives, I was convinced that Refn was incapable of making another good film until I saw the Neon Demon, it was a fun ride.
Very related: I enjoyed Only God Forgives a great deal. In my personal opinion, not a weak film in Refn's filmography.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The Fountain directed by Darren Aronofsky is what I like to call a marmite movie. It has a 51% RT rating, but I fucking love it. Possibly in my top five films of all time.

It received mixed reviews at the time, but I think The Life Aquatic is an amazing movie and one of Wes Anderson's best.

Finally! At last somebody else who agrees Life Aquatic is one of Anderson's best films. Very beautiful movie, both visually and emotionally. Still can't understand why people dislike it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Hudson Hawk, people say it is bad but I love that movie. Probably my favorite Bruce Willis movie, even counting Diehard

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Only God Forgives, but didn't much care for The Neon Demon.

Quite enjoyed that horror film Apostle on Netflix too.

Feb 18, 2018
Spider-Man 3.

Always defended it and still defend it to this day. It's got its problems, sure, but I still love it. Emo Peter Maguire is and always will be GOAT

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm generally an apologist for the second and third Matrix and Pirates movies.

I also love Scott Pilgrim which I guess is polarizing around here?

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say

mother!, Spring Breakers, and Neon Demon.

OP you are a person of great taste.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
The Village. Shyamalan's best movie.

The Lady in the Water is another great Shyamalan movie.