• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Boarding Gate is the first to come to mind. It's one of those movies that would seem like the worst, trashiest thing ever unless you're 100% on the same wavelength as it. If you are, though, it's absolutely fantastic.

OP
OP
CassCade

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Very related: I enjoyed Only God Forgives a great deal. In my personal opinion, not a weak film in Refn's filmography.
If it wasn't so gorgeous, I never would have finished it.
Sucker Punch. I've had people getting very angry at me for even saying I like it. I enjoyed the whole thing.
I like Sucker Punch too and it's the only Snyder film I'll ever defend.
I was going to say

mother!, Spring Breakers, and Neon Demon.

OP you are a person of great taste.
Thank you, always nice to meet like minded people.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Hunchback of Notre Dame is a very flawed Disney movie...

...it might be my favorite.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Witch is my favorite horror film of all time. Loved by critics, but polarizing amongst viewers.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it counts but I know loads of people that hated it, but The Tree of Life is one of my favorite movies of all time

Tree of Life sorta feels like Under Skin where it gets its due from critics (increasingly so as the decade has gone on) but by and large fans seem to dislike it. I agree though, it's up there for me as well.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc

I think Under The Skin is one of the best films ever made.

these are both universally beloved by anyone who isn't insane.

Anyway, this is more "polarizing among likely ERA members" because a lot of these are mostly beloved by film nerds but:

- any Paul WS Anderson movies especially the later Resident Evil stuff
- Clint Eastwood movies in general, especially recent output like The Mule and The 15:17 to Paris
- Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (still baffling that this movie gets dumped on all the time when if you know anything about Neveldine/Taylor you INSTANTLY get what it's going for
- basically anything Mann that isn't HEAT at this point lmao

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody wants to admit that the best script James Cameron wrote wasn't Terminator.

6e194e3efa1f9f583d8024a5911275b8--oscar-winning-movies-angela-bassett.jpg

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Divisive on Era, right?

The only film that comes to mind is Jurassic World. I've never met anyone IRL who had the complaints I've read on GAF/Era about the movie.

Age of Ultron would be another, but more specifically the Banner & Natasha scene at the farm house. I'm also "meh" on the movie itself, but don't agree with the complaints for that scene.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mother!
Annihilation
Neon Demon
Lars Von Trier's Melancholia
Midsommar
Last Jedi, my fav Star Wars
Frozen 2 to a lesser extent where it's been called unnecessary or worse than the first, which I vehemently disagree, and it's in fact my fav non-Midsommar film of the year, maybe even decade

A lot of my fav films get shit talked evidently but I'll continue to love what I love regardless 😊

annihilation is really well liked critically and the lukewarm viewer score is about what you always get for any unexpectedly brainy film.

I'm shocked that The Fountain has way higher user score than critical. Although it just gives me faith in people.

I love

Valhalla Rising.
Return of the Jedi
Dune
Highlander

I "hate"*

bTTF3
Indy Last Crusade
Irreversible
Ghostbusters 2

* or dislike for specific aspects

Last edited:

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I don't think this counts as polarizing since only like 5 people on the planet enjoyed it, but Terminator Salvation, it's better than Terminator 3, Better than Genysis, Better than Dark Fate in a lot of respects. The only major floor is that John Connor is a main character, I would have preferred less John Connor.

And again not polarizing but I feel Equilibrium is a fantastic film and was misrepresented as a Matrix rip-off which it's not, minus one scene. A lot of people had a load of premature hate for that film.

chaostrophy

Oct 27, 2017
images

I loved this movie, thought it was an affecting, memorable film. Really drew you into its world. Critics hated it though.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
- basically anything Mann that isn't HEAT at this point lmao
I'm not familiar with most of Mann's work but this reminded me of Blackhat which would be my pick for the thread. Saw it in theatres and it was a magical experience. Found out that everyone hates it I guess (except for cool film nerd people on the forum I was on at the time). All I remember in the general discourse was a lot of disdain for Hemsworth because he was buff. I don't remember what people didn't like about the movie itself now.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I'm not familiar with most of Mann's work but this reminded me of Blackhat which would be my pick for the thread. Saw it in theatres and it was a magical experience. Found out that everyone hates it I guess (except for cool film nerd people on the forum I was on at the time). All I remember in the general discourse was a lot of disdain for Hemsworth because he was buff. I don't remember what people didn't like about the movie itself now.

People don't like it because any "hacking" movie that isn't 1:1 accurate is slammed by nerds. Also people don't like romance that isn't 1000% overly sappy and sentimental. Blackhat fuckin rocks.

If you haven't seen his Miami Vice adaptation, definitely watch that.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

I know Letterboxd definitely is it's own niche in a way, but Fire Walk With Me has the highest average rating of all time on the site. I think it was a little disliked at the time but almost everyone recognizes it as a classic now.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Your Highness.

Prime Danny McBride, DGG, and Ben Best was still involved. And they made a fantasy film that was a comedy not a comedy making fun of fantasy but people act like it's a bad parody movie when it's not, and it has some stuff that is brilliant in it plus an amazing performance from Justin Theroux as Lezar. But it was early in their journey (Kenny Powers wouldn't catch on with the mainstream for another few years) and I bet if it came out now, same general film but with where McBride, Green, and Hill are now it would be received quite differently than it was back then.

TO THE FUCKENING!!!

A9AmU53.gif

It's a ton of fun - the movie always reminded me of a bunch of guys getting together and goofing off in a game of D&D. I always wondered what other people expected of it, but I'll still watch it occasionally and get a kick out of everything.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Synecdoche, New York. Not sure if it still applies as it was polarizing at the time but I feel like its reception has become a lot warmer since then.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Freddy Got Fingered will be re-evaluated critically one of these days, I swear it. The movie is a masterpiece.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Batman Vs. Superman Director's Cut

This was a very stupid film to try and use to springboard the DCU but when treated like a standalone graphic novel type spin-off, it works really well, outside of the lame Doomsday inclusion. It's also a gorgeous movie and the Batman warehouse scene is one of the greatest comic book moments in all of film.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
The Lone Ranger is cinematic bliss. Verbinski is the greatest big budget action-spectacle filmmaker around and it is crazy that he made a movie about a wild west hero that has superior action to literally ever single superhero film ever made. Also the third Pirates of the Caribbean is easily the best of the lot.

And Jennifer's Body is a fantastic film, although it seems to be having something of a reappraisal these days so it might not count for much longer.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
Eyes Wide Shut is one of Kubrick's best movies (Barry Lyndon is its competition) and one of the best movies I have seen. People are coming around to it more, at least.

Oct 27, 2017
alien 3 is my favorite alien movie
last crusade is my favorite indiana jones movie
ROTJ is my favorite star wars movie

i know these aren't the "best" ones, but they're my favorites nonetheless

also, Crank 2 will be studied for decades as true avant-garde filmmaking

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It received mixed reviews at the time, but I think The Life Aquatic is an amazing movie and one of Wes Anderson's best.
I came to post this one. It's one of my favourites for sure.

Speaking of Bill Murray movies. A lot of people didn't like The Dead Don't Die earlier this year but it clicked with me.

Eyes Wide Shut is one of Kubrick's best movies (Barry Lyndon is its competition) and one of the best movies I have seen. People are coming around to it more, at least.
The board game adaptation is good too
pic4046205.jpg

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo

I liked how it was absolutely nothing like the anime.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
The Fountain
Cloud Atlas
MacGruber

All 3 of these films are among the apex of visual media. I won't have anyone tell me otherwise.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Essential Killing got panned and review bombed by Western viewers because it depicts, with empathy, a Muslim/Afghan soldier's view of the conflict, and shows him killing Americans. That, and the back half is this raw, visual, exhausting survival battle with mother nature that features little-to-no dialogue. I can see why some might have been bored, but I thought that entire sequence was fantastic. Vincent Gallo acts his ass off. Terrific film.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars prequels are the first to come to mind.
And Hook is in my top 3 Spielberg films.

And... Matrix Revolutions. Speed Racer.
Episodes 25 and 26 of Evangelion (yeah, not a movie, but good example).
Evangelion 3.33.

Twin Peaks - Fire Walks with Me.

Oct 27, 2017
Cloud Atlas is my favorite movie.

Pretty mixed reviews, and was caught up in some "problematic" controversy that I thought was overblown by people who didn't watch the movie.

I doubt it will ever be topped as the most ambitious thing I've ever seen a film attempt.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
People don't like Starship Troopers? Who?
It's legitimately great!

I also liked Cloud Atlas ok.
And Elysium, which is probably not a great movie but I liked it well enough. I even re-watched it.

It's not talked about much, and actually considered a straight-up bad movie so I guess it's not eligible for this topic, but I also really love the 80s disaster of a film Star Crystal.

Edit: Wait people don't like Jennifer's Body either? Next thing you'll tell me is Kung Pow was critically panned...

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I think Sunshine is one of the genre greatest and it absolutely doesn't have the change of tone many people accuse it for. It's a very cohesive film if you pay attention.