• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a hot take that might get me banned and I think I should say this.
Where the heck are the people who are outraged here never in threads of PoC threads when this happens to them but the moment it happens to a white person its finally a time where something is bad. You show up for threads like this but never comment in other threads.

This is exactly like the thread where a black man slapped a white woman for calling him a N word. People were more mad at the black man than the white woman.
Do you really think those of us who are anti-police violence aren't outraged by violence against PoC? Of course we are.

The solution isn't to treat poor white people with violence or to turn a blind eye to it just because she was 'privileged'. Police violence needs to end, period. Of course PoC are more vulnerable to it than whites and are disproportionally affected.

The thing is, I don't see anyone in this forum celebrating violence against PoC the way they are celebrating violence against the woman in this video. People need to wake up and re-think how they view police activity broadly.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Where the heck are the people who are outraged here never in threads of PoC threads when this happens to them but the moment it happens to a white person its finally a time where something is bad. You show up for threads like this but never comment in other threads.

This is exactly like the thread where a black man slapped a white woman for calling him a N word. People were more mad at the black man than the white woman.
I'm probably the most quoted person here that is "outraged" so I take it you can back it up that I avoid threads where cops harass/arrest/assault/murder people of color but only show up when it happens to white people (which is almost never does). Everything is on record on this site, my post history shows I've been way more outraged at this happening to people like me than white people. So where is your evidence to back up such a claim?

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland

if you're that concerned, you can check my post history and you'll see i'm in plenty of those... i understand your frustration, considering how minorities are treated by the police in the US... but that's not a reason for wanting the same to happen to everyone, no, police should just act decently toward anyone, that's all

i'll continue criticizing police escalation, regardless of who they target

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Do you really think those of us who are anti-police violence aren't outraged by violence against PoC? Of course we are.

The solution isn't to treat poor white people with violence or to turn a blind eye to it just because she was 'privileged'. Police violence needs to end, period. Of course PoC are more vulnerable to it than whites and are disproportionally affected.

The thing is, I don't see anyone in this forum celebrating violence against PoC the way they are celebrating violence against the woman in this video. People need to wake up and re-think how they view police activity broadly.
This so much. And it seems to be my disconnect from a lot of the people here. I don't think we should get of white privilege by treating white people worse, I think we should get rid of it by treating everyone else normally so that it's no longer a privilege to not be assaulted and murdered by the police. I'd not celebrate a video like this regardless of who it happens to, and I'd be even more angry if it happened to a minority because I know that's pretty much business as usual for the cops.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
This woman felt she could determine the outcome of whatever law she broke.

She turned this into exactly what it was. Hell, when she rolled up her window she very easily could have been pointing a gun at him as it is hard to see through the glass. So yea... Take the fukin ticket lady like a normal part of society. Laws aren't just for PoC to follow. The whole incident to me reeked of flashing her white badge and shock in finding it didn't make her problem go away.

And to me tasing, while it can be dangerous, is far less risky to someone being harmed more seriously than any other method. We live in a world of rules and laws. Her blatant disregard brought on the consequences. Just the fact that she fled was enough right there to call in two other officers and take her physically out of the vehicle but evidently he did not have back up and as mentioned had no idea if she may have been armed (yea America)

Simple solution for Martha here would have been to just take her medicine for what she did and sign receipt of the ticket and take it up with the judge.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand it's somewhat satisfying to see privileged white person on the receiving end of some unnecessary police escalation, but it's still unnecessary police escalation.
Yeah pretty much, looking at some of the responses here you get the feeling that people's issue with police brutality is that the police don't brutalize white people enough, not that police using unnecessary force is bad in and of itself.

Like yeah this lady was being a fucking dumbass, but being a dumbass shouldn't be cause for the police to use unnecessary force on a person. Even the people arguing the cop was justified are not arguing that he needed to taze her to subdue her, they are saying she deserved it for being an asshole. Sorry but I'm not a fan of that justification of police violence.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why the heck are the people who are outraged here never in threads of PoC threads when this happens to them but the moment it happens to a white person its finally a time where something is bad. You show up for threads like this but never comment in other threads.

How many post histories did you go through before you came up with that hot take?

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
This so much. And it seems to be my disconnect from a lot of the people here. I don't think we should get of white privilege by treating white people worse, I think we should get rid of it by treating everyone else normally so that it's no longer a privilege to not be assaulted and murdered by the police. I'd not celebrate a video like this regardless of who it happens to, and I'd be even more angry if it happened to a minority because I know that's pretty much business as usual for the cops.
I'm all for holding police accountable but she literally fled the scene and kicked a police officer. I'm not exactly sure what else he could have done that wouldn't have been worse physically for her.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for holding police accountable but she literally fled the scene and kicked a police officer. I'm not exactly sure what else he could have done that wouldn't have been worse physically for her.
Obligatory "fuck cops".

Anyway, I agree with you.

When you refuse a ticket, speed off and then start kicking a cop and the only thing you get is tased so you stop kicking an officer then, I mean, what part of this situation am I supposed to feel bad for this lady?

Oct 29, 2017
American police are fucking awful, none of you should be celebrating this. Woman's a cunt and I'd bet my life savings that a POC in this situation would have ended up far, far worse but you should be holding the police to account for throwing people about like that and tasering them, their job is supposed to include de-escalation and management of these situations. Expect and demand better.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
She shouldn't have fled, but this is over a ticket. People drive away after getting tickets all the time. She wasn't a threat so I don't think she had to be chased.

More importantly, when she finally agreed to sign the ticket, the officer should have just let her do that, and they could both be on their way. I'm not of the opinion that people should be arrested nearly as often as they are in the US.

It's fine if you think the response was appropriate. What concerns me is people celebrating this. Then of course there is this small segment of people in this thread, who I'm guessing are white, claiming people are racist if they're not happy about this. Probably much easier to say that when you yourself don't have to worry about police brutality (and I don't mean you asmith)

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Lol

She had every opportunity to be reasonable and instead she chose to escalate the situation. She should have just signed the paper. She should have just got out of the car. She should have not kicked the officer. She should have done a lot of things.

I have no sympathy for an entitled dumbass.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Then of course there is this small segment of people in this thread, who I'm guessing are white, claiming people are racist if they're not happy about this. Probably much easier to say that when you yourself don't have to worry about police brutality (and I don't mean you asmith)
"People I disagree with are probably white so I can ignore them" is such a tired take.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
"People I disagree with are probably white so I can ignore them" is such a tired take.
"People are racist for not celebrating police brutality against a white person" is a worse take.

But this isn't about disagreeing, people are straight up accusing people of being racist for simply saying this video is disturbing. If you're going to make claims that I don't think the same about situations that involve people of color, then back up your claim. When you make an accusation against someone you should have some type of proof or evidence to back it up, if it's just a blanket statement with no basis, then I'll feel free to dismiss them for whatever reason I please.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for everyone involved in that video, but also fuck that white privilege thinking she can get away with it.

When she fled and kicked the police, there's no good outcome. Either she gets away and perpetuates privilege or she gets shot/tasered and that is a terrible outcome for a ticket.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Note , I'm not claiming people are racists.
I am saying its a tad suspect that this thread hit 4 pages in about 2 hours while the thread about Ahmaud Arbery took more than half a day to get 4 pages is telling.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah pretty much, looking at some of the responses here you get the feeling that people's issue with police brutality is that the police don't brutalize white people enough, not that police using unnecessary force is bad in and of itself.

Like yeah this lady was being a fucking dumbass, but being a dumbass shouldn't be cause for the police to use unnecessary force on a person. Even the people arguing the cop was justified are not arguing that he needed to taze her to subdue her, they are saying she deserved it for being an asshole. Sorry but I'm not a fan of that justification of police violence.
She attacked him, She deserved what she got plus she drove away. Anyone would be arrested for doing that.
"People are racist for not celebrating police brutality against a white person" is a worse take.

But this isn't about disagreeing, people are straight up accusing people of being racist for simply saying this video is disturbing. If you're going to make claims that I don't think the same about situations that involve people of color, then back up your claim. When you make an accusation against someone you should have some type of proof or evidence to back it up, if it's just a blanket statement with no basis, then I'll feel free to dismiss them for whatever reason I please.
people against her getting arrested are wrong. She got what she deserved that's the truth of the matter.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It's more amazing how many fucking chances she gets and how chummy it started. Any minority is looking at this and is in amazement.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I am saying its a tad suspect that this thread hit 4 pages in about 2 hours while the thread about Ahmaud Arbery took more than half a day to get 4 pages is telling.
You're not saying it, just heavily implying it. I've posted in many threads where this happens to people of color and I usually don't get quoted at all. I think everyone here agrees that it's horrible when police abuse people of color, so there is no debate to be had. No one is accused of being a racist and if anyone celebrated that they would be rightfully banned. I did the same thing here and was quoted about 10 times, so I replied to people, that makes the thread a lot more active.

Oct 29, 2017

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus fuck, you two. Do I ignore white people or not? I've been waiting for a resolution on this because I need to call my mom and apologize if Im not supposed to just ignore white people.
Ignore people that make baseless accusations. When it comes to issues of race, there is one particular group in the US that believes they are an authority on the matter, yet seem to be entirely clueless. Feel free to ignore them in that instance.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Amazing. She had every chance to just pay the damn ticket but for some reason felt like she had all the power, well that was until she got tased and squealed like a piglet.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
The cop did everything he could to avoid that situation. But yeah driving off and then punching/kicking a cop? Your ass is getting tasered.
No he didn't. He didn't want to spend any more time on that, and it showed immediately after she didn't agree with him.

Amazing. She had every chance to just pay the damn ticket but for some reason felt like she had all the power, well that was until she got tased and squealed like a piglet.
She wasn't even paying the ticket. She has to sign to acknowledge that she was instructed on what to do from now until the date for court.

Oct 25, 2017

That feeling is what we call confirmation bias. It's not that you are wrong per-se, but you emotionally want yourself to be right but likely didn't take into account things like day posted, time of day posted or click-baitness of title either.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
She attacked him, She deserved what she got plus she drove away. Anyone would be arrested for doing that.
people against her getting arrested are wrong. She got what she deserved that's the truth of the matter.
I'll disagree with you on that. But hey, I'm not a fan of cops being able to attack people. It's fine if you're cool with what happened though.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah did I say anything about her being arrested in my post? No, I said tazing her was unnecessary because he didn't need to do that to subdue her.

If you are just going to willfully ignore what my post says then don't bother responding to it.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll disagree with you on that. But hey, I'm not a fan of cops being able to attack people. It's fine if you're cool with what happened though.
so you are okay with her just leaving? Not any consequences for her actions? She attacked the cop and drove away just because she didn't want a ticket.

Yeah did I say anything about her being arrested in my post? No, I said tazing her was unnecessary because he didn't need to do that to subdue her.

If you are just going to willfully ignore what my post says then don't bother responding to it.
she attacked him, she deserved to be Tasered. I'm not a fan of how cops handle alot of situations but this one she deserved what she got because of her actions

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
She really didn't. I don't feel like I watched the same video as some of you. She very calmly explained why she didn't want to sign it and he immediately said "you're under arrest". When she offered to sign it the officer said no.

Cops shouldn't be overlords, you're allowed to talk to and make your case to a police officer. She definitely should not have fled, but prior to that, the cop could have easily handled that with no issues.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
People arguing is going to lead to a much bigger post count in a short period of time. It's not a reflection of how much people care what happened.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost positive that the majority of people commenting that this is excessive force also have posts in one of the various Ahmaud Arbery threads, mainly because I recognize most of these posters because they post in nearly every thread about police brutality because they care about police brutality.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
so you are okay with her just leaving? Not any consequences for her actions? She attacked the cop and drove away just because she didn't want a ticket.
No I'm not, but as I've been saying this entire thread, she calmly explained to the officer why she didn't think she deserved the ticket, he immediately placed her under arrest. I do not agree with the officers action here.

She then tells him she will sign it, and the officer determines it's too late, this is not an act of deescalation. This is an officer abusing their power. I do not agree with the officer here.

She did not attack the cop, she simply drove away at this point. I do not agree with her actions here.

The officer catches up and grabs her, they're both getting physical at this point. In this situation the officer had to subdue her, yes. I don't think it should have ever reached this point.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's not wrong though
yeah he is
She really didn't. I don't feel like I watched the same video as some of you. She very calmly explained why she didn't want to sign it and he immediately said "you're under arrest". When she offered to sign it the officer said no.

Cops shouldn't be overlords, you're allowed to talk to and make your case to a police officer. She definitely should not have fled, but prior to that, the cop could have easily handled that with no issues.
she just pretended that she didn't deserve anything than when she was threatened with arrest she fled and attacked him. That's escalation on her side more than anything.