• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018

A liberal backlash against the news media's coverage of Donald Trump and the 2020 race was already brewing when the New York Times published a five-word headline Monday night summarizing the president's reaction to the mass shootings over the weekend: "Trump Urges Unity Vs. Racism."

Still, the furious response capped an outpouring of frustration lately from 2020 candidates, Democratic strategists and left-leaning columnists over everything from CNN's handling of last week's primary debate to coverage of race and white supremacists to the years-old gripe that news organizations are too willing to amplify Trump's words.

O'Rourke channeled that discontent best Sunday with an exasperated reaction to a reporter's question about what Trump could do in response to the deaths of 22 people in El Paso at the hands of a suspected white nationalist.

"He's been calling Mexican immigrants rapists and criminals," O'Rourke responded. "Members of the press, what the fuck?"

This has been an issue for a while and it's gotten to the point that even Democratic politicians are beginning to call out egregious questions.

Last edited:

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
if all dem politicans actually start calling out the news media for things, the corp media will not be able to just individually attack politicans who call them out as hostile to the free press like they do with the ones who have already been calling them out for a while now on a variety of issues.

It also gives more power to putting pressure on the media to not be such tools. I think its a good thing as long as what the media is being called out is something actually substantive and not hollow.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The CNN debate with Jake Tapper put everything out in the open. Most of these outlets that say they "Stand for truth" and "Democracy dies in darkness" absolutely have it in their best interests to protect Trump, protect the right-wing, and protect America's corporate oligarchy. The NY Times proves it every time they have some dipshit op-ed about how they detest Trump's tweets but hey, he just might have a point about all these immigrants coming in and Dems are going waaaaaaay too far left with all their "People shouldn't die because they couldn't afford healthcare" talk.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Trump: Publicly says/writes racist shit

The press to Beto:

tenor.gif

Oct 26, 2017
CNN during the debates: Candidate A why do you hate Candidate C?

CNN after the debates: Democrats fight against each other too much.

Seth Myers literally brought this point up in his interview with Chris Cuomo who you can tell was clearly taken aback by the question:

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
The mainstream media is no worse than the National Enquirer. They only care about ratings.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
GOP has been working the refs for decades. This is the inevitable, rational response.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
The CNN debate with Jake Tapper put everything out in the open. Most of these outlets that say they "Stand for truth" and "Democracy dies in darkness" absolutely have it in their best interests to protect Trump, protect the right-wing, and protect America's corporate oligarchy. The NY Times proves it every time they have some dipshit op-ed about how they detest Trump's tweets but hey, he just might have a point about all these immigrants coming in and Dems are going waaaaaaay too far left with all their "People shouldn't die because they couldn't afford healthcare" talk.

The debates were just question after question based on what Republicans want constituents to hear from their opponents. Almost every question was concocted to produce a soundbite that could be repeated ad nauseam on the airwaves to make Democrats come off as the enemy of the people. "Will you raise taxes for Medicare4All" "will you decriminalize illegal border crossings" etc.

CNN wasn't interested in the nuance of any of these issues, they just wanted convenient soundbites to give ammo to conservatives and moderates.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be blunt: The Democratic Party at large still embracing American centrist policies will be their continued downfall. Support Bernie or Warren, or prepare for the people turning their backs on moderates. Feel free to quote this and expressing disbelief. Society is hurting throughout the country, and the moderates aren't doing very much about it.

In respect to the news media, they are in league with the centrists/moderates. The Democratic establishment and the news media are synonymous with each other. It's the progressive left that are outliers, and you can see an othering effect occurring every time a debate is happening with centrists and people like Bernie and Warren.

Last edited:

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
About dam time that Democrats held their ground. They've allowed the news media to favor republicans in almost everything and let themselves get steamrolled so we seem to take a moral high ground or some bullshit. It's absolutely stunning how republicans have been able to craft a narrative that the media is left leaning which it's literally the opposite

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm conflicted.

On one hand, the media is absolutely a joke and has been for some time. They're culpable in the rise of Trump, and the continued success of the Republican party. This sentiment has been in need of a platform by the Democrats for a while now.

On the other hand, I can't help but think that this is just going to feed into the narrative of "Fake News." Having said that, that's probably going to happen regardless of the Democrats.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
It's amazing to think how at the start of the Trump administration and 2017 there was so much buzz about how journalism was saving us by exposing Flynn, all the Russia stuff, Trump putting children in cages, etc etc. There were a lot of people proudly saying they subscribed to WaPo and the NYT. Cable news ratings soared and had a renewed relevancy along with newspapers. I know I was watching cable news everyday, all the Sunday shows, and reading the paper more than I ever had.

Maybe a lot of us were just naive but it seems like as soon as we got a tiny bit closer to the next election it was just horse race politics again. The media really had a chance to cement itself as an important pillar of American life again and make the case for why it's more relevant than ever, instead they have continually embarrassed themselves and all the people like myself who proudly consumed it.

I used to think supporting journalism was really important, but maybe the NYT doesn't deserve to exist if they are going to be so useless and impotent. I'm not going to mourn the death of traditional news reporting when I can find better takes from random people on Twitter. Which is a trash can.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
About dam time that Democrats held their ground. They've allowed the news media to favor republicans in almost everything and let themselves get steamrolled so we seem to take a moral high ground or some bullshit. It's absolutely stunning how republicans have been able to craft a narrative that the media is left leaning which it's literally the opposite

Yep, and it allows far right media like Fox News to flourish under the cover of balancing coverage.

The lie that the mainstream media is liberal needs to be picked apart and destroyed.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I keep thinking I'd prefer a person of color as VP, but then I remember this is America and a woman will be president, so, White Male may be best for the ticket, even if it didn't work for Clinton.

God no we don't need Beto near the WH

Why exactly? Dude is sincere and passionate as fuck, plus he could flip Texas. What do you hate about him that you want him away from the White House? He's also stellar on race issues, calling out White privilege every chance he gets, even his own.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We didn't invent codeify freedom of press so the media could play politicians off one another for profit.

Last edited:

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be blunt: The Democratic Party at large still embracing American centrist policies will be their continued downfall. Support Bernie or Warren, or prepare for the people turning their backs on moderates. Feel free to quote this and expressing disbelief. Society is hurting throughout the country, and the moderates aren't doing very much about it.
I'm going to quote you because you're right. I genuinely think that if we nominate Biden we lose.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Good, the right throws unwarranted shit at journalists all the time. It has made some timid and to adopt the rights warped reality in fear of being called bias (Which they always are anyway).

The rights tactics of attacking the "referee" has been replicated all across the world especially in the UK and USA. It's pretty fucking successful too which is infuriating, even nominally left/liberal media sources get caught in this trap. People need to call this shit out.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Why exactly? Dude is sincere and passionate as fuck, plus he could flip Texas. What do you hate about him that you want him away from the White House? He's also stellar on race issues, calling out White privilege every chance he gets, even his own.

His voting record is to the right of the average House Democrat. He walks a fine line between the left and right. I don't want that for the next president.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If you look at it, the media has really let the Republican Party live for so long. Without the media (not just fox), the party would not have such national "success"

Which all makes sense considering the media makes its money on splitting the nation...

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Someone had the idea of having the DNC run the debates and then just stream it and let networks air it and honestly they should just do that. Pick reporters who don't care about ratings and will ask good questions.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
His voting record is to the right of the average House Democrat. He walks a fine line between the left and right. I don't want that for the next president.
Isn't he something like 8% voting difference from the farthest left people? He also supports pretty much all of the progressive policies the same as any other candidate running. The chances of him becoming President is extremely slim.

We'll just have to disagree, he'd make a fine President, and having two people on the "far left" as much of America would see them, on the same ticket doesn't seem like the best plan, and I doubt sincerely that either Bernie or Warren will go the route you want.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
I'm conflicted.

On one hand, the media is absolutely a joke and has been for some time. They're culpable in the rise of Trump, and the continued success of the Republican party. This sentiment has been in need of a platform by the Democrats for a while now.

On the other hand, I can't help but think that this is just going to feed into the narrative of "Fake News." Having said that, that's probably going to happen regardless of the Democrats.
I think Fox News was a growing problem. However, CNN's emergence and coverage in the early 00s really changed things for the worse. It should've been immediately obvious it was a problem when CNN was both siding the Obama Birther movement.

Bernie and Beto have taken pretty aggressive stances against the media which is why they get completely shafted and also get a lot of drive by hit pieces that dont accurately reflect what happened. Warren has resisted and opposed a lot of media but she has done it in a much less confrontational and overt way.