• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This script stuff is nonsense. Warren is my preferred candidate, but I don't find those critiques either malicious or unfair.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sanders: does something that no one sane gives a fuck about.

Libs: IT'S THE APOCALYPSE!

Yes, please point out where people are flipping their shit over the fact that they lied about talking points?

It's ok to just say "they did a bad", but like we've seen that seems to be impossible for some people.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He aides never denied the veracity of the documents, and nothing they said was anything damming either so idk why you would worry about this.

Jun 20, 2019
"The campaign didn't issue these talking points."
"I think this is a little bit of a media blow-up that kind of wants conflict," Sanders said. "Elizabeth Warren is a very good friend of mine. We have worked together in the Senate for years. Elizabeth Warren and I will continue to work together and we'll debate the issues. No one is gonna trash Elizabeth Warren."

"We have hundreds of employees. Elizabeth Warren has hundreds of employees, and people sometimes say things that they shouldn't," he continued. "You have heard me give many speeches. Have I ever said one negative word about Elizabeth Warren? OK?"

Asked if he personally approved of such talking points, Sanders gave a straightforward answer."

"No, of course I did not," the senator said.
Highlight the lie, if you please.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Bernie wins Iowa. Even with this story, it would be revolutionary for Sanders to win. Really excited to see what happens.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty clear pattern of the first story out of the Bernie campaign usually being a lie and then needing to be walked back a few days later.

This is absolute bullshit. The campaign itself as quoted in news stories never said it wasn't real. It was volunteers who legitimately hadn't seen it saying it wasn't real.

I was paying very close attention to how this played out and the real surrogates for the campaign took an angle of "these are mild factual criticisms and this is a primary, have you seen what Obama and Clinton ads were like in 2008?"

Oct 28, 2017
This script stuff is nonsense. Warren is my preferred candidate, but I don't find those critiques either malicious or unfair.

They literally just looked at the demographics from actual polling and tried to use it to differentiate the two. You can say that then saying she can't "expand the base" is speculative but the other parts of the script are truths.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I'm confused too. Why are people so up in arms about this?
The fact he apparently lied about it, though having now seen his statement about it, it doesn't appear that he did
Lol read the article and the timeline of events.

I'm not playing this game with you :)
When I skimmed the first few posts of this thread before reading the article I assumed he lied but after reading the article and also what his response at the time was in full, I'm not sure I see a lie, since you won't "play this game" with them, could you in a non playful but civil manner, explain it to me? Cause I'm open to the possibility, even if I would be very disappointed

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They literally just looked at the demographics from actual polling and tried to use it to differentiate the two. You can say that then saying she can't "expand the base" is speculative but the other parts of the script are truths.
drawing any distinction between them is unfair and actually a violent attack on warren and all her supporters

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
This is absolute bullshit. The campaign itself as quoted in news stories never said it wasn't real. It was volunteers who legitimately hadn't seen it saying it wasn't real.

I was paying very close attention to how this played out and the real surrogates for the campaign took an angle of "these are mild factual criticisms and this is a primary, have you seen what Obama and Clinton ads were like in 2008?"

Ohh sorry, they just waited multiple days to confirm it. So much better.

Deleted member 2426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even think it's about lying. It's ineptitude and lack of actual organization. Which feels even worse.

Damn Bernard, you always find a way to disappoint at the most crucial moment.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Attributing a script to "people saying things they shouldn't" is literally lying by omission when the people saying the things they shouldn't are reading scrips.

Again, not a big deal, in fact I would say it's usual fair game politics but in the face of everyone trying to pretend they are "buddy buddy" it just makes it all the more funny when actual friction happens and people either pretend it doesn't exist or the defense force outright makes it a non-existent thing.

But this defense force thing some folks have going on for when he spews casual sexism and now this "lol it's nothing omg stop overreacting" to people commenting pretty chill in a thread is just embarrassing, and pretty annoying since you're doing a little routine and trying to act coy.

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
This is such a fucking shit show. I am so pissed right now. As someone who was happily backing Sanders as my first pick and Warren as my second, they BOTH should know better than to pull this kind of shit at such a crucial point in the primaries, given that one of them is gonna need the voters/delegates of the other if they want to stop Biden.

I don't even care whether or not Bernie actually lied. Him and Liz should still be on good terms on the whole, not at each other's throats. This kind of strategy was a bad call from the outset. As equally a bad call as Liz's campaign pulling out the sexism card just as Bernie started soaring in the straw polls.

If Biden slides right into the nomination because of this shit, this is on BOTH of them.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Why even lie about this?
The very low level staff and volunteers were recounting their own experiences and probably didn't know it differed from other parts of the campaign.

I'm pretty sure high level officials always claimed it was a mistake of a few employees out of hundreds, unless someone can point to something which says otherwise.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

If the people surrounding Warren think that the truth that Warren's support skews whiter and richer, and that she's the second choice of many Sanders' supporters is something to throw a huge fit about, I really don't like Warren's chances in the general election.

Warren's my second choice, btw, will be ecstatic if either win.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they figured this would be mentioned at the debate and wanted to get ahead of it

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Attributing a script to "people saying things they shouldn't" is literally lying by omission when the people saying the things they shouldn't are reading scrips.

Again, not a big deal, in fact I would say it's usual fair game politics but in the face of everyone trying to pretend they are "buddy buddy" it just makes it all the more funny when actual friction happens and people either pretend it doesn't exist or the defense force outright makes it a non-existent thing.

But this defense force thing some folks have going on for when he spews casual sexism and now this "lol it's nothing omg stop overreacting" to people commenting pretty chill in a thread is just embarrassing, and pretty annoying since you're doing a little routine and trying to act coy.
If he didn't personally approve the script he can absolutely think using the script is people saying things they shouldn't.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

So, having done that: I don't see where he lied?

If you wanna say his staffers/campaign were wrong about how it was used - maybe even that they lied - I guess? But he said he didn't approve it, and even the article says "His press aides never denied the veracity of the document.", so... am I missing something?

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So Warren was in the right when she said they were being urged to trash her, and so many people were using that as proof she was lying about being told a woman can't be president. Gross

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
This whole drama is about nothing. Warren & Sanders need to dismiss these non-stories and attack Biden or they're both done.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Ohh sorry, they just waited multiple days to confirm it. So much better.

It's a good sign that they didn't say it was real or fake until they knew for sure, unlike Warren responding off the cuff to a reporter's question about it not having seen the (mild!) script herself.

So Warren was in the right when she said they were being urged to trash her, and so many people were using that as proof she was lying about being told a woman can't be president. Gross

"Trash her"???

Deleted member 6122

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we close the thread then? The OP is almost devoid of content and you don't want to discuss anything with someone who doesn't actually agree with you. The thread seems designed to antagonize.
Agreed. What else is new with this poster though. Gleefully antagonistic and unwilling to engage with anything that contradicts their opinions.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a fucking shit show. I am so pissed right now. As someone who was happily backing Bernie as my first pick and Warren as my second, they BOTH should know better than to pull this kind of shit at such a crucial point in the primaries, given that one of them is gonna need the voters/delegates of the other if they want to stop Biden.
Truth be told, the problem is more the supporters than the candidates. The attack is a little unfair, but the real firestorm around it is supporters looking for something to rip into each other about.

There's always an ascending order of zeal in these things as you work your way down the campaign hierarchy. Staffers are more zealous than candidates, volunteers moreso than staffers, and people posting on forums got 'em all beat handily.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we close the thread then? The OP is almost devoid of content and you don't want to discuss anything with someone who doesn't actually agree with you. The thread seems designed to antagonize.
lol what?

I'm happy to discuss, but I'm not going to jump through hoops that you feel like dictating.

It's clear from the article that the Sanders camp said one thing. That thing turned out to not be true. This is relevant to this particular story but it also potentially connects to the larger questions around honesty and trustworthiness with regard to the Sanders/ Warren he said/ she said back and forth.

I'm not sure why you're suggesting that a legitimate thread that contains new information be shut down.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's a large difference between acknowledging a fait divers that happened that ultimately has no interest whatsoever and making yet another thread on yet another flimsy excuse for yet another hollow controversy. This thread is not made in good faith in the slightest. The very article quoted belies the very silly and transparent OP.

And you had no quote for me :(

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
the stuff in the script wasn't trashing her, but to try to convert supporters of hers to Bernie which was also done for the other candidates. Why is it suddenly not okay to try to convert voters to Bernie voters when its Warren but not to do so for the rest of the candidates
"I didn't see the script and we are going to be more carful in how we go forward so this doesn't happen again"

vs.

"People said things they shouldn't have"
You can argue his wording could have been better sure, but calling it a lie is being purposefully disingenous. This is the same level of mischaracterisation as those assuming Warren is straight up lying about the other situation.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm actually confused now, too. Where's the new information that contradicts what Sanders or his campaign said "over the weekend"?

Politico says:

"The controversial talking points attacking Elizabeth Warren that Bernie Sanders' campaign deployed were given to teams in at least two early voting states on Friday, three Sanders campaign officials confirmed.

Volunteers and staffers used the script on Saturday while canvassing for votes, meaning the talking points were more official than what Sanders previously suggested after POLITICO reported on the language."

What is actually new here?

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a large difference between acknowledging a fait divers that happened that ultimately has no interest whatsoever and making yet another thread on yet another flimsy excuse for yet another hollow controversy. This thread is not made in good faith in the slightest. The very article quoted belies the very silly and transparent OP.

Yea, almost no thread is made in good faith since 95% of Political OT belong to two communities who keep trying to get pot shots at each other.