• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Truth be told, the problem is more the supporters than the candidates. The attack is a little unfair, but the real firestorm around it supporters looking for something to rip into each other about.

Agreed. There's an ardent sub-sect of people in both progressive candidates' camps who are gleeful at the prospect of tearing into the other over trivialities, and it's tiresome.

Deleted member 6122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "anti-warren script" isn't even anti Warren. It pointed out that... her supporters are likely to support whoever the dem nominee is and she doesn't bring new people into the system??? This is the most softball type of shit imaginable. Anyone getting mad about this is pathetic

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me, the problem isn't with Sanders' quotes as they are and the intent behind them. Technically, I'm willing to give credence to the idea that he didn't lie, personally.

But that's an admitted technicality. The cult of personality surrounding him, whether on his staff or not, seems to get him in trouble every other week and he occasionally (and grumpily)acknowledges this, but doesn't really do much to curb it, or even apologize for it. In his world, it's just kind of part of the game and while I'm sure there's plenty of folks that find that response suffiencient, there's just as many others out there who think that particularly given that these little "miscommunications" happen so often, surely someone should be held accountable. If that's not going to be anyone around him that works for him or his more aggressive supporters online and on cable, or he himself, it all smacks of rampant unprofessionalism at best and disqualifying for choosing SCOTUS judges/operating the national security apparatus at worst.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
This whole drama is about nothing. Warren & Sanders need to dismiss these non-stories and attack Biden or they're both done.
yeah, just think how meaningless this looks next to any of Biden's biggest gaffes.

Like remember when biden tried to defend being for the Hyde amendment for days before he was pressured into completely flipping.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of world are yall living in where primary candidates dont have scripts for each other when door knocking?

Bernie's script for Warren is 1000% tamer then any city council race I've ever knocked on doors for.

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Truth be told, the problem is more the supporters than the candidates. The attack is a little unfair, but the real firestorm around it is supporters looking for something to rip into each other about.

There's always an ascending order of zeal in these things as you work your way down the campaign hierarchy. Staffers are more zealous than candidates, volunteers moreso than staffers, and people posting on forums got 'em all beat handily.

Indeed. Resetera's own survey showed that around 9 out of 10 members here are cool with both candidates. But you wouldn't guess that, given the extent to which the small minority of vehemently anti-Sanders and anti-Warren posters are dominating the conversation.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
They shouldn't have lied. The points aren't even remotely controversial they just knew it was time to go for Bernie.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
personally I think it's a moral outrage to erase dumb broke warren supporters like this and it should really be considered class warfare

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear from the article that the Sanders camp said one thing. That thing turned out to not be true. This is relevant to this particular story but it also potentially connects to the larger questions around honesty and trustworthiness with regard to the Sanders/ Warren he said/ she said back and forth.

It's clear from the article that the campaign itself didn't say it was fake and at worst a photographer is quoted as having tweeted that it was unapproved, probably working off the reports from volunteers who hadn't been given it.

So... a real mountain out of a molehill here. Remind yourself of what the 2008 primary was like and reflect on how mild "Warren voters are going to vote Dem no matter who wins" is compared to the absolute low blows Clinton and Obama were throwing back and forth at each other.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Agreed. There's an ardent sub-sect of people in both progressive candidates' camps who are gleeful at the prospect of tearing into the other over trivialities, and it's tiresome.

that's just how this part of the process always works. This shit is tame AF compared to what the Pubs we're doing this time 4 years ago.

The difference is libs end up with all kinds of hurt feelings and they take their ball and go home. While the Republicans rally around whoever comes out on top.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused too. Why are people so up in arms about this?

Clinton voters who can't stand Bernie and have no faith in Joe gotta do something with a 4th place Iowa finish looming. It's a weird strategy to try and get Sanders voters over to them as opposed to poaching from Biden but this has been a campaign full of questionable strategic moves so we'll see where this goes

OP
OP

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually confused now, too. Where's the new information that contradicts what Sanders or his campaign said "over the weekend"?

Politico says:

"The controversial talking points attacking Elizabeth Warren that Bernie Sanders' campaign deployed were given to teams in at least two early voting states on Friday, three Sanders campaign officials confirmed.

Volunteers and staffers used the script on Saturday while canvassing for votes, meaning the talking points were more official than what Sanders previously suggested after POLITICO reported on the language."

What is actually new here?
The Sanders camp had said those weren't signed off on and/ or were "unapproved."

The new information in the article is that those talking points were in fact issued.

So I guess it's possible that the camp isn't lying but also doesn't have any control over the talking points that it's putting out. Either scenario is very problematic and even moreso in light of how the Sanders/ Warren feud has shaken out.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There's a large difference between acknowledging a fait divers that happened that ultimately has no interest whatsoever and making yet another thread on yet another flimsy excuse for yet another hollow controversy. This thread is not made in good faith in the slightest. The very article quoted belies the very silly and transparent OP.

And you had no quote for me :(
Yea, almost no thread is made in good faith since 95% of Political OT belong to two communities who keep trying to get pot shots at each other.
C'mon, now. This is new news, it gets a new thread. That people have existing political opinions doesn't mean that the thread has to exist in purgatory.
describe how it is unfair please
Yep. Her support skews white and well-off. I don't understand why Sanders campaign even bothered to issue a token denial.
So, it's a somewhat fine distinction, but saying that she only appeals to to whiter, more affluent people doesn't quite capture the full picture. She's broadly popular with most demos, it's just that other candidates are more popular. Thus, "a little unfair." Hardly the end of the world, but I can see why it might rankle some people.
the stuff in the script wasn't trashing her, but to try to convert supporters of hers to Bernie which was also done for the other candidates. Why is it suddenly not okay to try to convert voters to Bernie voters when its Warren but not to do so for the rest of the candidates
I figure both can be true at the same time, no? Trashing is a little hyperbolic for what was said, but it's definitely about attacking her electability as opposed to just boosting Sanders.

Oct 27, 2017
The issue is that they lied about some tame script? How much are we supposed to care about this? In what way should this impact someone's vote? It seems ridiculous.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
This fucking blows. It's gonna be a Biden or Trump presidency with all of this shit going on and how big of a deal everyone seems to keep making it.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
C'mon, now. This is new news, it gets a new thread. That people have existing political opinions doesn't mean that the thread has to exist in purgatory.

So, it's a somewhat fine distinction, but saying that she only appeals to to whiter, more affluent people doesn't quite capture the full picture. She's broadly popular with most demos, it's just that other candidates are more popular. Thus, "a little unfair." Hardly the end of the world, but I can see why it might rankle some people.

I figure both can be true at the same time, no? Trashing is a little hyperbolic for what was said, but it's definitely about attacking her electability as opposed to just boosting Sanders.
In Warren's case, they stated that the "people who support her are highly-educated, more affluent people who are going to show up and vote Democratic no matter what" and that "she's bringing no new bases into the Democratic Party."
this is true and taking it as a description of every individual warren supporter is ridiculous nonsense that absolutely nobody would do unless they're looking for a reason to fight

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
So... a real mountain out of a molehill here. Remind yourself of what the 2008 primary was like and reflect on how mild "Warren voters are going to vote Dem no matter who wins" is compared to the absolute low blows Clinton and Obama were throwing back and forth at each other.

Yeah, except you know what's different now? Citizens United opened the floodgates for corporations and rich people to hijack our country's politics with their money, to an extent we haven't ever seen before in modern day history. And they win if Biden gets the nomination. The last thing we need right now is for self-identified progressives to be fighting among each other, when the only way we even have a shot at achieving our goals is to stick together.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, almost no thread is made in good faith since 95% of Political OT belong to two communities who keep trying to get pot shots at each other.
It's not even remotely worth engaging this discussion, of course people that make negative threads about a candidate don't like them, why would you post it if you did, same reason we have no positive threads about Biden

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
FavoriteWeakCormorant-size_restricted.gif

Sanders = Wario
Warren = Peach
Yang = Mario
Biden = Luigi

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie fucked by not being informed / his campaign not communicating properly or lying.

Warren fucked up by overreacting and creating an avalanche out of nothing.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
this is true and taking it as a description of every individual warren supporter is ridiculous nonsense that absolutely nobody would do unless they're looking for a reason to fight
Like I said, it's only a little unfair. She does have appeal outside of the groups currently pledged to her, and it does erase them. It's also hard to argue on the merits when the only person currently drawing unusually high support in General polling as opposed to the Primary is... uh... Biden.

I would agree that most of the fuss on this has been from people spoiling for a fight, but that does cut both ways. Some people getting a little upset at perceived unfairness doesn't really merit the response it got from some pro-Bernie people. So now the two camps (the Very Online portions of them, anyway) are at each others' throats for... reasons?
while true, again this is apparently only an issue with Warren supporters when the other candidates were included as well?
Warren supporters are the only ones in the list with any reason to feel "betrayed," is I guess how I'd put it. Nobody's out there going "I can't believe Bernie slammed Pete!"

Well, somebody probably is.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Warren is despicably clever to have set up Bernie like this. Diabolical planning and sadistic execution.

Joke's on her though because not one single Bernie supporter frothingly denied the story yesterday or accused her of making it all up to undermine the agreement to not go negative. Everyone was rational and waited till today's honorable and frankly admirable admission a small paperwork error.

Meanwhile Biden gathers more dust, like a dessicated but friendly corpse in a Spielberg movie, sitting idly by till he says something crazy next about black people or breast feeding or something.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Warren would need Sanders supporters to overtake Biden.
Sanders would need Warren supporters to overtake Biden.

Now, both camps just did the opposite in mining their chances of growing.

Biden wins

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty much over I'd say barring something unexpected.
I'd say Obama supporting Warren or Sanders would tank Biden's chances. He's only being held up by black voters, many of who simply think he has the best shot of winning, or are most familiar with him from his long history, but I'd wager a portion because of his association with Obama as his VP

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Some of you didn't read the article and it shows. Politico actually takes the time to explain the origins of this controversy and who said (or didn't say) what. It's really goofy reading this article and then seeing the hot takes. Especially after how mundane the original news of this was.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
drawing any distinction between them is unfair and actually a violent attack on warren and all her supporters

A harmless 'distinction,' right.

the stuff in the script wasn't trashing her, but to try to convert supporters of hers to Bernie which was also done for the other candidates. Why is it suddenly not okay to try to convert voters to Bernie voters when its Warren but not to do so for the rest of the candidates

You can argue his wording could have been better sure, but calling it a lie is being purposefully disingenous. This is the same level of mischaracterisation as those assuming Warren is straight up lying about the other situation.

Omissions are lies.

If he didn't personally approve the script he can absolutely think using the script is people saying things they shouldn't.

Of course candidates wouldn't approve of everything like that, but this frame only works if nobody on his staff bought the script to him after it gained headlines to keep him out of the loop and Bernie isn't discliplining for keeping him in the dark.

What kind of world are yall living in where primary candidates dont have scripts for each other when door knocking?

Bernie's script for Warren is 1000% tamer then any city council race I've ever knocked on doors for.

*waits patiently for an identical script from Warren's campaign about Bernie*

Oct 28, 2017
Bernie does seem to live rent free in a lot of people's heads here. I just hope he wins and becomes president.

The ridiculous part is the subsection of the Warren crew saying "Bernie people can't take criticism" when he's accused of blatant sexism, meanwhile they are freaking out over something as benign as..."she doesn't expand the base and her supporters are wealthier"

The projection and lack of self awareness is just astonishing.

Last edited:

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Congrats Joe Biden and his running mate Mayor Pete.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Obama supporting Warren or Sanders would tank Biden's chances. He's only being held up by black voters, many of who simply think he has the best shot of winning, or are most familiar with him from his long history, but I'd wager a portion because of his association with Obama as his VP
Yeah, if Obama actually weighed in against Biden, all bets are off.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017

any candidate would have a good shot at winning if Obama endorsed them but for that very reason he's not going to do that, and he specifically is unlikely to endorse Warren or Sanders because, not to put too fine a point on it, he doesn't really like them or their policies

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't the first time the Sanders camp did this and why I was so against him in 2016.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If Biden's team wanted to score a few points now they would announce their VP pick immediately, neither of whom would be Warren or Sanders.