• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
The White House is reaching out to political allies and conservative activist groups to prepare for an ailing Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's possible death or departure from the Supreme Court — an event that would trigger the second bitter confirmation battle of President Donald Trump's tenure.

The outreach began after Ginsburg, 85, on Monday missed oral arguments at the court for the first time in her 25 years on the bench. The justice, who was nominated to the court by President Bill Clinton in 1993, announced in late December that she underwent a surgical procedure to remove two cancerous growths from her lungs.

The White House "is taking the temperature on possible short-list candidates, reaching out to key stakeholders, and just making sure that people are informed on the process," said a source familiar with those conversations, who spoke on background given the delicate nature of the subject. "They're doing it very quietly, of course, because the idea is not to be opportunistic, but just to be prepared so we aren't caught flat-footed."

Ginsburg had a pulmonary lobectomy, the Supreme Court said in a statement, and her doctors said that post-surgery there was "no evidence of any remaining disease." She has also recovered from several past health scares. But her departure from the Court would allow Trump to nominate a third Supreme Court justice — the most in one presidential term since President Ronald Reagan placed three judges on the highest court during his second term.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019...to-prepare-for-possible-rbg-departure-1096102

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Don't die you selfish old lady, our country hangs on you living and doing nothing else because our system is dumb.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
It's just wishful thinking on the White House's part. RBG isn't going anywhere.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Odds Republicans will pull Garland out of moth balls to try to get a smooth nomination process?

Or they just gonna ram through an ultra conservative white woman since they know they can get away with whatever they want?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I hate this fucking country. Why did all of this shit have to happen now? I'm so tired.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
The GOP could lose the presidency for the next twenty years and it would have been all worth it precisely because of this.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I will gladly give 10 years of my life if RBG can stay on the SC for 2 more years

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Odds Republicans will pull Garland out of moth balls to try to get a smooth nomination process?

Or they just gonna ram through an ultra conservative white woman since they know they can get away with whatever they want?

They will put another archconservative piece of shit forward because they're all garbage. If he gets another undeserved SC pick, we should just end the Supreme Court. End the whole country. This orange tumor of a President is going to dictate our national future for the next fifty years.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's wishful thinking to think she lasts until after inauguration 2021. She should've stepped down early in Obama's second term, and now the seat is at risk.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
No, holding onto your lifetime supreme court appointment after you were diagnosed with pancreatic cancer is selfish.

And she did that 10 years ago.
Yeah, civil anger is warranted. It's a symptom of her own decisions 10 years ago regardless of her health. In this climate I cannot judge someone mad at this circumstance.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't Congress fuck over Trump now like Garland got fucked over?

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017

Zero. They have more seats now than when they rammed through Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. It's gonna be Amy Coney Barrett or someone similar.
It's not even 2 years, its 22 months til election day.
The new president doesn't get sworn in till Jan 20 and I wouldn't rule out Republicans confirming a new justice in the lame duck.
How the fuck did Obama only get get 2 (should be 3) picks in 8 years and Trump could possibly have 3 picks in less than 3 years? Fuck this timeline.
Republicans stole one seat and our old liberal justices didn't retire when they should have. Shit sucks.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not retiring when you're 81 sure is.
1110.jpg

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Sucks how this system works... trump takes credit for getting these judges "in" when he just happens to be the president when this shit happens. That is no accomplishment at all.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
If RBG is still serving on the SC in 2020, there is a 100% chance Donald Trump will make her dying and needing to be replaced a central part of his campaign.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Can't Congress fuck over Trump now like Garland got fucked over?
If RBG goes at the start of 2020, the Democrats in the House should absolutely block Trump's appointee. Fuck decorum, if the Repubs stole a seat, then the Dems should be allowed to steal a seat too if/when they win the presidency in 2020.

EDIT: IGNORE ME AND THIS POST, I apparently forgot how Supreme Court nominations work.

Last edited:

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
If RBG goes at the start of 2020, the Democrats in the House should absolutely block Trump's appointee. Fuck decorum, if the Repubs stole a seat, then the Dems should be allowed to steal a seat too if/when they win the presidency in 2020.

They have 0 power to do so. All they can do is make noise or threaten to shut the government down again.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The House does not confirm Supreme Court justices...

This is why the presidency and the Senate are so important

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
The House has no say in Judicary picks. And never has

smh people still dont know anything about how the government works