• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I said I would rather have the liberal judge. Not sure if you misunderstood my post.
The GOP has no reason to nominate a liberal judge in exchange for the wall. Its a situation that results in the GOP losing it would be a huge waste. The wall would at best be a strong but ineffective symbol for Trump while a Supreme Court Justice is a good 3+ decades of influence on nearly every facet of American Life.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I have no doubt that RBG is holding on as much as she can. She knows the stakes. Bless her.

We need to push for stacking the courts should the worse happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Whelp the country is fucked for a good 30 years on the low end. Don't worry though, we'll take 2 baby steps forward in the name of progressivism in the face of the 10 adult steps back in the name of conservatism!

Odds Republicans will pull Garland out of moth balls to try to get a smooth nomination process?

Higher chance they'll nominate Steve King than that happening.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I just want to laugh at this whole thing. I hope people who didn't vote in 2016 like a conservative leaning SCOTUS. God damn the US may be fucked for many years if RBG has to step down.

Oct 27, 2017
We need to push for stacking the courts should the worse happen.

Especially if the Mueller report ends up being damning for Trump. A perfect and entirely justifiable reason to essentially undo his nominees by adding the necessary seats. Indeed, even if she sees out the remainder of his tenure there would be an overwhelming case for an extra two and it wouldn't require much political savvy or the expenditure of a great deal of political capital under such circumstances.

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't take insider knowledge to see that she's very old and suffering a number of health problems.
But if you want insider knowledge, sometimes you can just ask:

On Rachel Maddow's show tonight she had on a doctor from Mt Sinai (9 years, previously with Sloan-Kettering for 10 years), who has worked with RBG's doctor. He said she is fine and recovering normally in the normal matter. He has done this surgery on a 102 year old successfully, and considering how much cancer RBG has had, had any of it been fast-moving it would have gotten her by now. So basically, she's fine according to the doctor.

dantevsninjas

Oct 27, 2017
Odds Republicans will pull Garland out of moth balls to try to get a smooth nomination process?

Or they just gonna ram through an ultra conservative white woman since they know they can get away with whatever they want?

They put a mentally unstable attempted rapist on the court. They can pretty much nominate whatever ultra conservative piece of shit they want and ram him through.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Omg please no. Someone said the left SC justices should have retired on Bams 2nd term. Why left/Dems constantly tripping themselves?

Best of luck to America and her health.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, we need to stop worrying about losing the supreme court. we have already lost it. it's 5-4 conservative already. what difference does it make if its 6-3.

We just need to wish her a full recovery and hope she gets some rest. Stress does not help with healing, and if shes stressed about coming back, it will not help her recovery.

Let's just let it go. We lost the biggest election of our lifetime. lets learn from it and move on.

6-3 is extremely different from 5-4 are you kidding?

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
giphy.gif

Giving RBG all my energy. Hopefully she sticks around another full decade or longer.

ALL for you Notorious RBG, please accept my humble life offering.

Or maybe there is some kind of Shinigami eyes-type of deal we can make and give her another quarter of a century. Share with me your wisdom RBG, and take half my life!

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure they'll block a liberal replacement for RBG though (under a Dem president), they already have a conservative majority. Be more worried when someone like Thomas steps down.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its now official what the dems have to do if RGB passes. If the dems get the sen and president in 2020 they must pack the court. Three conservative justices will literally destroy the country. Maybe Mueller can RICO the GOP dead before they can appoint.

Edit: Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The SC is already fucked for ages. It's already in republicans pocket. Adding more fuel to the idea of packing or stripping its power is probably a good thing. Let her leave, let another Kavenaugh be selected and the circus that insues. Let a big abortion battle commence. None of that will end well for republicans in the long term. It will just further galvanize the left to finally fucking give a shit. It'll be another Trump sized wake up call.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Its now official. If the dems get the sen and president in 2020 they must pack the court. Three conservative justices will literally destroy the country. Maybe Mueller can RICO the GOP dead before they can appoint.
It's not official at all, so don't scare people like that. By all accounts, she's recovering from her surgery just fine and even has an event scheduled in the near future. And she's still working.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Best solution when faced with a heavily politicised supreme court needs is to double its size and set term limits so we have more people coming and going, and know when they're due to leave. The nation needs RBG so much right now and it shouldn't have to, she shouldn't have that much pressure on her.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Its now official what the dems have to do if RGB passes. If the dems get the sen and president in 2020 they must pack the court. Three conservative justices will literally destroy the country. Maybe Mueller can RICO the GOP dead before they can appoint.

Edit: Edited for clarity
And when the GOP wins eventually again after that Democrat win,...what then? They pack the court even more?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And when the GOP wins eventually again after that Democrat win,...what then? They pack the court even more?

You have a four year window to fix shit so they can't get into power again. Shut down their propaganda machine, fix campaign finance, prosecute and imprison all the corrupt senators and house reps, bring back the voting rights act so they can win elections they have no business winning, fix gerrymandering. Demographically the GOP should have 0 power anymore, they get power from manipulating an outdated electoral system. Priority number one for any dem majority needs to be fix that system or this country collapses in the next 10 - 20 years.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Dems are going to have to add several Supreme Court seats to balance out the court out of necessity. Term limits need a constitutional amendment, and I don't see how you'd get 38 states to sign off on something like that as it would yank power away from the Republicans on a regular basis every few years. The Republican party would have to collapse in order for that to happen.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Omg please no. Someone said the left SC justices should have retired on Bams 2nd term. Why left/Dems constantly tripping themselves?

Best of luck to America and her health.

Most likely, many of them thought Hillary would be the president right now, so they were just waiting to help her out in any matters that arose.
With Trump in, some of them didn't really have much of a choice. I'm sure they wanted to retire anyways/were getting up there in age so they were already planning to leave, but Trump winning altered those plans a lot.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really wish she would've retired in 2012.

Sigh

She really should have. This was her arrogance in thinking that Clinton was a sure-fire win in 2016, and hanging on to allow Hillary to pick her replacement. That was a huge miscalculation. She should have stepped down during Obama's administration to allow him to find a suitably-left judge.

The consequences of RBG's mistake are just staggering, the impact on millions of American's over one person's fuck up. The impact on millions of American women in the possibility that the GOP can finally put enough conservative judges on the court to cripple or even overturn Roe v Wade...

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
She really should have. This was her arrogance in thinking that Clinton was a sure-fire win in 2016, and hanging on to allow Hillary to pick her replacement. That was a huge miscalculation. She should have stepped down during Obama's administration to allow him to find a suitably-left judge.

The consequences of RBG's mistake are just staggering, the impact on millions of American's over one person's fuck up. The impact on millions of American women in the possibility that the GOP can finally put enough conservative judges on the court to cripple or even overturn Roe v Wade...
I think it's hardly fair to blame an elderly woman for not retiring a decade early, instead of blaming that we live in such a broken country that a mid 80s sick old woman is the only thing stopping people from losing basic human rights.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's hardly fair to blame an elderly woman for not retiring a decade early, instead of blaming that we live in such a broken country that a mid 80s sick old woman is the only thing stopping people from losing basic human rights.
these aren't new rules. she knew the risks of staying in office

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not out of the question that Trump gets 4 SCOTUS picks by the end of his first term, if RGB dies/retires and Thomas retires as I've read is rumored he wants to. The second oldest justice is also a liberal and in his 80s. Things are looking extremely dire for the third branch of our federal government for decades to come and some people treat ideas like stacking the Supreme Court as ludicrous as though the court isn't already tainted with illegitimate appointments and possibly on its way to being ruled by right-wing whackjobs appointed by a criminal President. They're the ones who are going to be "legislating from the bench" every time the GOP moves an issue to the Supreme Court, and that'll be the final word on that without constitutional amendments.
yeah this is insane. Trump can have 4 Supreme Court justices, affecting the types of policies we can achieve in this country for decades, after most Americans voted against him. What a dumb fucking system.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It is absolutely fair. She gambled the rights of millions and she lost. Of course I blame the voters who put Trump in office first and foremost because they knew the stakes, or should have, but RBG fucked up big time.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
these aren't new rules. she knew the risks of staying in office
She didn't know what the court's makeup would look like 5 years later. Had Scalia been replaced by Garland, RBG dying wouldn't have mattered nearly as much. Had Kennedy not retired, RBG dying wouldn't have mattered as much.

Hindsight is 20/20.

In 2014, her last possible time to retire, there was no urgency to get her replaced.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
It's a pretty awful thought, both RBG dying and her seat flipping to conservative. A 6-3 court is a great opportunity to have all sorts of rights stripped away, and very few new rights granted. I'm a straight, white, relatively wealthy, highly-educated, male, citizen... and all I can say is that I feel extremely fortunate to have those qualities right now, and I wish minorities in the US could have the same sense of security. Don't get me wrong - I feel absolutely awful for a lot of people in this country and that way they're treated. I just recognize that I don't have to feel those feelings, and I'm thankful for that, and hope that others can be brought up to quality of life I have.

Let's get the Executive Branch and Senate in 2020, then add in two new seats. One to get back the one that was stolen (Garland), and another to counter that illegitimate Gorsuch appointment.