• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
A new poll out this week from NPR finds that 60 percent of black Americans say they or a family member have been stopped or treated unfairly by police because they are black. In addition, 45 percent say they or a family member have been treated unfairly by the courts because they are black. The poll is a collaboration between NPR, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

screenshot2017-10-31ar1usl.png

The poll reveals the consequences of these stops for black Americans personally and across society — 31 percent of poll respondents say that fear of discrimination has led them to avoid calling the police when in need. And 61 percent say that where they live, police are more likely to use unnecessary force on a person who is black than on a white person in the same situation.

Previous polls have asked similar questions, but ours is unique in that it's the first to ask about lifetime experiences with policing.

Very disturbing (albeit unsurprising) findings. More information at the link:

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...ns-say-theyve-been-unfairly-stopped-by-police

The full polling data is here: http://www.npr.org/assets/img/2017/10/23/discriminationpoll-african-americans.pdf

Straight Edge

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there stats available for whites? As a teen I was stopped weekly for bullshit reasons. Eventually my dad was calling the chief daily to chew him out.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are other minorities treated the same way or is it only black people?

Mostly black people. As Michael Wood Jr, an ex marine and ex baltimore cop said, the black cops are actually harder on black civilians than white cops are because the black people feel like they're making them look bad

Oct 25, 2017
Them OR A RELATIVE kind of compounds the results.

That said, what a huge divide by age. 65+ Black Americans would have grown up during the civil rights era and aftermath. Why would their self-reported numbers be so different?

Zonar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona, USA
I'm black and I looked at those numbers and I thought sounds about right. It's so depressing I don't even like to talk about it.

It's like the president either hates you or (at the very best benefit of doubt I can give him) doesn't particularly care about black people. The cops don't feel the need to deescalate when interacting with black people for the most part, and on top of that I have to deal with the normal stresses that every other American has to. Sometimes it's just too much.

I respect the people that protest so much because my business is based a lot on connection and for that reason I'm afraid to be seen protesting for fear I will lose business. A lot of people I know are Trump supporters and people that think that the cops treat everyone fairly and pick yourself up off your bootstraps Etc.

Last edited:

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
The last cop that stopped me threw my license and registration at me after he ran it through the system or whatever.

I couldn't do anything but laugh right when he did it lol.