• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From WaPo

The president's disapproval rating has reached 59 percent, with 50 percent saying they strongly disapprove of the job he is doing. While little changed since the summer, both represent the worst marks of his presidency.

2300-trumppoll1104-v7.jpg

He is the only president dating back to Harry S. Truman whose approval rating at this point in his presidency is net negative — by 22 points. The next worst recorded in that time was Bill Clinton, who had a net positive of 11 points by this time in his presidency.

Trump began his presidency with only modest expectations on the part of a public that was divided coming out of last year's contentious election. Roughly 100 days into his presidency, 42 percent said he had accomplished a great deal or a good amount while in office. Today, that has declined to 35 percent.

Meanwhile, 65 percent say he has accomplished "not much" or "little or nothing." This is up from 56 percent last spring. Forty-three percent of all Americans give him the lowest possible rating, saying he has accomplished "little or nothing."

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I ordered some temperament from one of those samurais the other day. Fake news.

[/trump]

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Good But then again Trump will probably tweet fake news and look at how many jobs I've created on Twitter

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, should have been known to anyone who paid even the slightest attention during the campaign.

My friend's dad is a retired carpenter. Worked on the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City. He can't stand Trump. He would see him on the floor occasionally, while the place was being constructed. He said that there were several times where he witnessed Trump throwing a tantrum, and literally throwing stuff around (papers, pens, etc). This is not the proper temperament for a person who has the nuclear codes.

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
Trump is doing record numbers. Even though its negative numbers, in his mind its a win because it's a record.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
How is it still so low

His disapproval rating? There are some people out there who do bad things. They are fine with one or more minorities living in hard mode and they like the dominant / submissive gender roles present in society. (Hi Weinstein)

They do not want to admit they are part of the problem and they will get mad if you tell them they need to suck less, no matter how politely you try to put it.

These people feel less shitty with Trump in power. He gives their bad actions legitimacy, he tells them they're innocent victims with a right to be angry at the mean/bad minorities and they eat it right up (build the wall!). These people, like everybody, are expert at making their own bubble and ignoring facts, reveling in conspiracy theories (fake news) and are therefore very vulnerable to propaganda (Hi Russia/infowars/fox/sinclair).

That's his base. This includes evangelicals, bikers, cops, military, farmers, blue collar workers, business owners, etc.

Notice how I didn't say any of those Trump supporters are bad people. They just do bad things. To their circle, they are also great parents, loving spouses, loyal friends, helpful coworkers, and so forth. We only see them as voters and strangers, so we have an easier time demonizing them.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
So low what the fuck?

Trump is literally an incompetent, bigoted, sociopath.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to me like this makes a Dem 2020 strategy easy. Not that it's unique or novel, but the "elect Democrats as a check on the President" strategy will probably pay dividends in an environment like this.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Yeah, but, Clinton wasn't either, in fact she was worse, I felt it in my gut...

Seriously, the 66% seems like a lot, but I would guess many of them if given a chance between the two would pick Trump again or at least that was their justification the first go around.

But I think it does show that if Democrats put out somebody that isn't hated, Trump will have a very hard time getting re elected.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Doesn't matter as long as people don't vote.

How many know there's an election next week? How many will show up?

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of person votes for Clinton and approves of Trump's job?
Yeah, there are always weird outliers. Wealthy centrists I guess?
Looking at the data from the article, there also must be people who think he's unpresidential and hasn't done anything but somehow approve of him.
Overall, the picture this paints is one where a rough third of the voting body got him in and approves of his action, while the rest of the world sees him as somewhere between simply unfit and utterly catastrophic.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yet, few of his voters seem to regret it:

2300-trumppoll1104-2.jpg

Yep. I just listened to another story yesterday about former Democrats who became Trump voters and how they felt about him and the republicans, comparing how they felt before he was elected and how they feel now. The poll you post lines up with how they felt. They acknowledged that Trump has pretty much failed completely to live up to their expectations but said they didn't regret their vote and would support him over the democratic alternative. These were voters who said they were mostly motivated by his immigration policies. While deportations have been lower than Obama Era levels, arrests are way up.There are other metrics suggesting he's stepped things up dramatically.

The racists who carried him through the primaries and put him into power don't really have any reason to stop supporting him, even while they can admit he's been lacking in other areas. We should be acknowledging that these National polls that take into account democrat and independent voters aren't painting the entire picture. We shouldn't forget that he had similar numbers before he was elected. Or that his average approval rating has still been flat for 3 months now,even among all of the latest Russia news. Russia news that has actually seen Dem's losing ground. Unless Trump is going to stop being a racist, Republican voters aren't going to break. And the only thing that party will have to worry about are a handful of purple seats that aren't enough to give Dems control in the house or senate.

With all that said I'm not saying we should give up, just that we should keep perspective of what reality truly is. Instead of rushing towards those who are still shouting about impeachment, we should be focusing on options that are actually possible and not politicizing our best shot at Trump (Mueller).

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how divided we are as a country. If there wasn't so many distractions for people, shit would pop off.

I suspect that media embracing biases to chase an audience and stand out in a crowded marketplace doesn't help in that regard. A Fox News watcher/Breitbart reader/Right-wing talk show listener lives in a very different world from someone that watches MSNBC, and reads Mother Jones. I'm not sure how to bridge that divide, which is massive.

Oct 25, 2017
NC
He wasn't fit from the moment he stepped into the ring. He wasn't for presidency when the news came out about his racist as fuck renting practices against black folks. He wasn't fit for presidency when people delved into his past and learned that he wanted five black kids to get the death penalty. Or when we learned his dad was arrested at a KKK meeting. Or how about when that tape released about how much of a predatory piece of shit he was. And that's just his past stuff.

How about his campaign when he was insulting any and all minorities, insulting gold star families and just being a disgraceful human being? Point is, he wasn't fit for the white house, was never fit for the white house and will never be fit for the white house.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Trump didn't have a fortune handed to him he wouldn't be able to hold down a job as a sign spinner. 100% he would get fired for harassing people.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
"but I still voted for him because I'm a dumb fuck/greedy bitch" or some variation thereof.