• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you a Collector or Trader?

• I love my stuff and will never give it away (collector)

Votes: 311 72.2%
  • Don't get attached to things and sell the old for the new (trader)

Votes: 102 23.7%
  • I don't know... i either break or lose my stuff (cursed)

Votes: 18 4.2%

• Total voters

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Collector. If I had a time machine I'd go back and do this to myself.

3p7xqe.gif

Solary

Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Trader / collector. Got a nice collection of PS1 games that I see as an investment at this point as price is only going up.

Anything mint I keep and store, otherwise sell or flip.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I used to have to sell everything and I regret it. Now I horde it all like Smaug, even though I will likely die without touching some of my games ever again. I love having a big digital collection in particular because my tastes have changed as I got older and I no longer want shelves of plastic dominating my room.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i'm 100% digital on PC + PS4 so can't really trade those in. only for Switch do i buy physical but depends on the game if i keep or sell it.

Kept:

BOTW, Odyssey, NSMBUD, Mario Maker 2

Sold:

Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Astral Chain, Link's Awakening, Let's Go Pikachu

Basically, I just keep my favourite games and sell ones when I get bored of them or think I'll never play them again.

I guess I could do the same for PS4 but i can't be bothered. I don't really play on PS4 much and Nintendo games tend to hold their value much better. For example:

Let's Go Pikachu - ~60% back
Astral Chain - actually made a profit. paid £19 for the game and sold it for £25. i got it bundled with my Switch and the game was 45% discounted.
Link's Awakening - ~65% back.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Was a collector for long time, then in the PS2/3 days I became a trader, but now I am 99% digital.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
I have never traded a game. So collector I guess.
Im 99.9% digital these days though.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Hoarder more than collector. In theory. These days many physical games are coasters without an internet connection so they could go but the resale value is usually too low to bother.

I did trade most of my Gameboy collection, won't be making that mistake again.

Velguarder

Jan 10, 2020
Collector first and foremost. Retired trader. I spent about 5 years and way too much money frequenting Nintendo Age, GameTZ, etc. and local pawn shops and such trying to fulfill two goals:
- Own every game from my childhood CIB
- Own every Mega Man game ever released in the US CIB

I accomplished those and then stopped. I occasionally trade in stuff from the current gen, but not nearly as often as I used to.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Maybe like more of a low key hoarder? I haven't really sold much but also I don't really "collect" either. All of my games and old consoles just go into a box that I probably won't ever open unless I am looking for something else and I go "oh hey, I forgot I had this here" and then close that box back up.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Somewhere in between. I keep the stuff I like, I sell the stuff I don't.

Recently sold off my Dreamcast, Xbox 360, GBA, and PSP collections because honestly they were just collecting dust in the closet.

I was never particularly attached to my Xbox 360 or PSP and I didn't want to invest in the proper hardware to make my Dreamcast look good on my HDTV.

I'll probably miss my GBA library, but it's just something I didn't play particularly often.

What I'll probably regret is spending that money on other frivolities and not just putting it in my bank account.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I sold a lot of my stuff years ago when things weren't going so well and I've regretted it ever since. Now I'm mostly digital for convenience and the ability to go back to older stuff quickly.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a collector at heart, but my s/o is really pushing me to downsize. It's tough but I'm trying to slim down my collection.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pure collector here.

I think I dispatched 4 games in the last decade and those were all double or extremely subpar games.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a recovering Collector, becoming a Trader. I have a whole room in my house that is a dedicated music/game library... It's feeling really good to start clearing those shelves and converting old games into money.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
90% collector, 10% trader. I keep most of the games I've bought, but will get rid of some.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Used to be a collector, now I'm all about that minimalist lifestyle which (for me) includes only keeping what you really want to keep and not because of collecting.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Usually trader. Most games I only play through once anymore and if it's a physical copy then I sell it and make 2/3 of my money back. If we're ever able to sell our digital licenses on the secondhand market, I'd sell almost all of the digital stuff too. I already collect action figures that I have a specific room for, and other than that I try to keep from accumulating things, especially physical media.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Collector. If I had a time machine I'd go back and do this to myself.

3p7xqe.gif
CvztWvN.gif

Yeah, I mean the only thing I ever traded in for another thing was an original DS for a PSP, which I then traded in for a DS Lite. Then I ended up buying another PSP later on. Would've been better off just buying the PSP outright and a DS lite later on.

I do wish I kept all my Genesis and NES games from when I was a kid, and my case and manual for the Dreamcast version of Garou (still got the actual disc, though). I don't really have a clue what happened to the old carts. Maybe a garage sale?

I guess I'm a collector because I'm more of that than a trader, but if I wanted to get rid of something I'd more likely just give it away to someone. I don't like selling stuff for some reason.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I've got so many consoles and games going back to the NES that are just sitting in boxes in my office closet and bedroom closet. If it weren't a lot of trouble to do so, I'd simply sell it all off. At this point, I'm just tired of the junk.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Zero interest in collecting games. I'm in it for the experiences, and the only rarely is something so valuable an experience that I want to experience it multiple times.

Most of the time, holding onto these things is either a waste of money or space.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like to be a collector, but it's really difficult in Iran with these prices.
New games are 700000,800000 toman these days. They were 240000 toman two years ago and were 70000 toman ten years ago.
That means the price of a new game these days is more than 2 Xbox 360 in last generation.
So being a trader is more reasonable in this situation...

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I move around a lot so I am not a collector. I sell whatever I am not using. Since I have been gaming on PC mainly these days, all my games are digital. I do keep my console games though for a while.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Both? I sold games after I've finished them, but also kept some if I really like the games or if the game is so cheap that I don't bother to sell them.

Like, I still have Black Flag in my collection and I definitely don't have any attachment to the game. But, at most that I could get from selling it is 5€.
Might as well keep it in case I suddenly have the itch of a more traditional Assassin's Creed.

I don't collect consoles though, they take too much space.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I like to be a collector, but it's really difficult in Iran with these prices.
New games are 700000,800000 toman these days. They were 240000 toman two years ago and were 70000 toman ten years ago.
That means the price of a new game these days is more than 2 Xbox 360 in last generation.
So being a trader is more reasonable in this situation...
Jesus. Do you guys just buy games digitally?

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The first option just describes it so well. I never sell my gaming things. I get too attached to things and would never want to part with it. The potential money doesn't matter to me.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I don't trade but more because I can't be arsed to go through all the trouble for a pittance, than that I have an innate desire to collect. I hoard and then two gens later throw them in the trash or sell them as a bundle for a fiver on a yard sale. Went digital just because my cupboards are full.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Collector but I'll trade/sell old games when I need to. I'll buy lots with games I already have so I can sell them and make my money back. Only way I could afford this hobby

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I'm all digital across all platforms but not because I'm a collector it's just for the convenience and space.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I am a collector of only my absolute favorite stuff. So I guess a picky collector. And only because a lot of it isn't legally obtainable digitally. My "collection" stops at the Wii/360 era. Sold all my PS4 stuff (except the console) and bought it digitally, and I only buy digital Switch games. Also, I sell absolutely everything that ends up on PC.

Whatever I trade, it's not to make money off it. It's to reduce the clutter in my house. I don't like owning too many things.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Use to be a collector up until 2017, then I became a trader/seller. I sold all of my PS, PS2, PS3, Game Boy, GBA, and Game Cube games. Used to 150+ games, now I olny have about 15, mostly from PS4, Switch, and 2 3DS games (Kid Icarus Uprising and OOT remake). Oh, the only GameCube game I kept was Melee.

As soon as I finish a game, I sell it. I am also selling almost all of my toys. I feel like I'm too old for this shit.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Definitely a collector, though i've become a lot more picky on the stuff I buy than I used to.
Same. Used to be an insane collector but now it just hard to afford. Lol. So very picky... I am not even getting RE3 Collector's. But The Last Of Us II Collector's Edition, yes.

And when it comes to just games... never trade in and buy them now on sale.