• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

In that scenario, would you stop buying their consoles?

• Yes, I wouldn´t see the point of having a Playstation console then.

Votes: 1,718 52.9%
  • No, I still appreciate the advantages of consoles (regardless of having a capable PC or not).

Votes: 1,295 39.8%
  • I have to think about this for a while...

Votes: 237 7.3%

• Total voters

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
We all know this is not happening any time soon. If Sony releases their games on PC, it will probably be PS4 games for now or older games to make the most out of them. They surely reckon how much benefit they obtain from the classic model of generational jumps with consoles and exclusive games with them. However, I think it would be interesting to discuss this possibility and see what folks have to say about it.

26206421086_43576a3861_k_thumb800.jpg

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I would still buy the consoles simply because their console games go down to $20 within a year.

I dont think their PC versions of their games will go down in price that quick.

So I'll end up double dipping

(Kinda like what I am doing now with third parties)

I bought Horizon Complete on PS4 for $10 and gonna wait till its close to that much for the PC ver.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Might need to narrow it down a bit. Are they releasing these games on Steam? Are the pc ports up to the standard of polish we'd expect on day one?

Jun 14, 2018
Yeah, absolutely. I'm a fan of PlayStation Studios, not the actual console itself, so if all of their games went to PC on day one I'd just be a PC + Switch gamer.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I've been been meaning to for some time now. Sure, you can't build a PC for the same price as a console but it would be the only platform where you can get 90% of games at

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I mean, if it start now with PS5. I'll probably stick to PS5 for a while because my gaming pc is years old by now, and to make a new gaming PC with PS5 spec or more will probably end up more expensive.

if the question is maybe 2 or 3 years from now, then I'll probably answer PC since I hopefully have gaming PC more powerful than PS5 by then.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Maybe. Would console exclusive games still be a thing in this hypothetical scenario? Games that released on both consoles like but not on PC - like Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV or Red Dead - could make me keep a console.

If everything released on PC, however, I wouldn't get a PlayStation. I'm already a PC gamer and only use my PS4 Pro for games I can't play on it.

Oct 27, 2017
I buy a console primary because it is cheap and has exclusives. If the exclusive part stopped being true and I could get everything day one on pc then why would I buy a console? I would rather save up more money and get a PC that can play everything.

So yeah I wouldn't get a PS5 then.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I would not buy it. Just like Xbox now.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
No I would Not
I still have a pc and buy Xbox as well
Console experience is different and games are usually way more optimized for console than pc and takes a lot less work to get going I have a rtx 2070 super but I love sitting back and playing on my oled 4k on my PS4 so I'm sure it'll be the same on ps5

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If they did that I'd have zero need for a Playstation console.

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Might need to narrow it down a bit. Are they releasing these games on Steam? Are the pc ports up to the standard of polish we'd expect on day one?
Let´s say whichever option suits you better, Steam, specific launcher or whatever. Expect high quality versions of the games with all the advantages of settings and such that PC games have.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I mean considering that's the main reason I buy their consoles, absolutely. Hell, that would probably shift all my priorities to where instead of forgoing PC this gen, I would just go PC + Switch/Nintendo

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
TBH the PS4 usually remains off until an exclusive I want to play comes out. So with more titles coming to pc, I may not feel the need to get a PS5. But we will see.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
I allready stopped buying consoles on launch since the lineup is usually pretty meh and just wait until a blockbuster release.

If they released the first party title on PC day1 i would probably never buy a playstation again.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
While I appreciate the ease of using a console, being able to play the same game with higher settings wins it for me, so yeah, I'd probably not buy any PS consoles anymore.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
You know how much it would cost to build a PC that outperforms the PS5? Also, i prefer to play multiplayer games on console as well to have a better chance at avoiding cheaters.

LardHomers

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never buy a third party game on consoles anyway so for Sony/MS it would make zero difference if I bought their consoles or not as long as I buy their games/services.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I would need to think if it was worth for me buying a powerful PC or a console. Depending on the prices and the quality of ports, I would choose one or another.

I prefer playing with consoles in my TV, but I'm open to new horizons.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
Loyal Playstation consumer. If this would happen, I would simply stop buying Playstation.

I stopped buying Xbox since it's useless in my mind, now if PS were to follow suit I'll just stick with Nintendo consoles and build a PC.

But im quite sure PS will never bring their exclusives D1 on PC.

Apr 25, 2020
This question has an easy answer only for those with a legit gaming PC, and of course you have to wonder what features Sony would keep exclusive to the console version.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Consoles is the premium way to play games in my opinion. I do play an occasional indie on my PC which is mostly for work but I don't like the experience.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
People on this website and elsewhere keep on forgetting that Sony or Microsoft do not care if you won't buy their systems because all of the sudden 80% of you guys have a PC. The common consumer will continue to buy consoles no matter what.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a console guy no matter what. I don't even own a gaming PC. I own a $300 budget laptop that surfs the internet and my work laptop (that I don't own) for working purposes. I see no purpose in spending a fuck ton of money to own a gaming PC when I can just spend $300-$500 to own a gaming console.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Depends how powerful it is. Consoles are my living room entertainment, so until I set up a gaming PC in the living room I'll never stop buying the most powerful console.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, no question about it.

i would probably buy something like x series S instead to put in under the big living room TV just incase people that come over want to play something.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
I've had my pc for awhile and only bought a PS4 for the exclusives really so Sony releasing them on PC would certainly keep me from buying a console

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i switched from PC to PS because i just don't want to deal with windows anymore despite being an Enterprise IT myself and enough disposible income to build a nuclear PC x10...(i am using a Chromebook to type this.)

So....most probably not.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
No. Even though I have a PC I would say it's always been mid-range in each console cycle. Would probably just rather play it on the console.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I will stick with the console.

When a new generation begins the minimum spec on PC also jumps. I would need to rebuild the PC and the graphics card alone will cost more than a PS5 if you want to future proof it.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I won't buy the PS5 anyway most likely given how little I used my PS4, so it wouldn't change anything for me (but Sony could make a few bucks). A few exclusives I might like don't justify the cost and inconvenience.

Deleted member 4874

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only game I play on my MacBook is whenever Civilization comes out with a new release, so I'm a no on that.

Oct 27, 2017
With Steam Big Picture mode you can pretty much turn your PC into a controller friendly platform that you can connect to you TV and play just like a console would.
Only difference would be money and the occasional tinkering with some games here and there.

Only thing that would really matter is the price for the PC which isn't an issue if you are fine with games not playing perfectly or waiting for cheaper prices.