• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Fire Emblem Smash hero gains your allegiance?

• All Hail King Marth!

• Roy's my Boy!

• I like Ike!

• I love Lucina!

• Count me in for Chrom!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cut all of them because fuck Fire Emblem characters in Smash.

Add Sigurd who dies in one hit if struck by a fire move.

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Intended homosexuality is sometimes read as asexuality because writers won't or can't write explicitly homosexual pairings — especially for two men — due to censorship issues or potential backlash.

In reality, Ike has paired endings with two different men, one of whom he has a very emotionally-charged relationship with. If one of them were a woman, the implication of their pairing would never be questioned.

I'd really recommend that analysis I linked earlier; it goes into a lot of these issues and the original Japanese text as well.
Normally I'm ehhh about these kind of readings, but every other woman over the course of two games all but throw themselves at Ike and yet the only paired endings he has in RD are with male characters. Has to be either gay or Goku tier fightsexual at that point and considering how intelligent he is puts the latter in doubt.

At least he has good taste

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Marth is the OG and face of the series so has to goto him. Its a shame that the that because they are all protagonists and the trope is the hero always has a sword they all end up being to much alike to most people(blue hair doesn't help). Really wish we had lance and axe reps considering how important the triangle is to the FE series but alas the greater smash community will never know Ephariam's cockyness and Hector's glory.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Lucina is literally a Marth poser.

That's just how important Marth is. Like, 3 of the other 4 choices follow his design template.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Marth absolutely, from a Smasher only perspective.

Top/high tier in all games he appeared in
Ken Combo
Tipper adds a whole new level of depth to Marth's gameplay that the clones don't have
Tipper makes more sense for a sword fighter than Hilts for Roy - a sword gives you the ability to play safer at a distance, but Roy needs you to go in...?

Ike is second for being a beast, but I've never liked his playstyle for Smash.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Marth all the way, not including Ike the rest of the characters are all based one marth yet none of then are as fun to play as, marth tipper mechanic makes him really fun to play with

Ike is alright but i just like marth way more

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Roy is awesome in Ultimate. He's putting in work just because he knows everyone expects him to get the boot

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Ike and Marth are different enough that I wouldn't make them compete against each other. So I would pick Lucina and Ike over the rest, but to be honest I wouldn't bother cutting any of then just because they can't be all that hard to implement anyway. Marth looks and sounds like a dork, so Lucina all day for that spot.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Normally I'm ehhh about these kind of readings, but every other woman over the course of two games all but throw themselves at Ike and yet the only paired endings he has in RD are with male characters. Has to be either gay or Goku tier fightsexual at that point and considering how intelligent he is puts the latter in doubt.

At least he has good taste

I mean, Ike is the closest FE can get to a person who actively enjoys fights, though definitely unlike Goku he would avoid them where ever possible, and IS take every chance they get to call him the strongest hero that ever existed in all worlds.

I don't know is about the assumption that he's gay though, just because he wasn't interested in a getting married and settling down by age twenty (as he is by radiant dawn), just because he wasn't a horny boy like chrom. It feels a bit telling that in the very next game (that wasn't a remake) they gave Ike a descendant who clearly, uh, got a lot of his shared genetic material.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
It's obviously the Hero King.
HK_Marth.jpg

He's the OG, been in more entries of Smash AND FE than anyone else, and he'll kick your ass. Thread over, lol.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I really need to play the 3ds games. How cheap are they these days?

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
Chrom is actually the top tier sword boy this time, insanely. But he's still just a cheap knockoff of Marth and Roy with a little bit of Ike DNA at the end of the day.
In my heart and soul, Roy is the best lol. I haven't unlocked Chrom yet but jeeze, how many Fire Emblem characters that are almost the same do we need?

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I love Fire Emblem & aside from Fates the Marth games are my least favorite in the series. That said, he's way too iconic & important to Fire Emblem as a franchise to let any of those others usurp his place in Smash.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Ike is the closest FE can get to a person who actively enjoys fights, though definitely unlike Goku he would avoid them where ever possible, and IS take every chance they get to call him the strongest hero that ever existed in all worlds.

I don't know is about the assumption that he's gay though, just because he wasn't interested in a getting married and settling down by age twenty (as he is by radiant dawn), just because he wasn't a horny boy like chrom. It feels a bit telling that in the very next game (that wasn't a remake) they gave Ike a descendant who clearly, uh, got a lot of his shared genetic material.
The writers were different and honestly the nature of the outrealms could mean it was a different version of Ike anyways

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna get into the Ike debate as I hadn't played his games but how do you explain this guy?

Not trying to be smart I'm curious.
You've had a few answers, but I'll also point out that Ike's sister Mist exists and it's possible Priam descends from her. It's also possible that Priam isn't actually Ike's descendant.

Also who knows if he is even considered canon.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Legit surprised people like Chrom the least. I didn't pick him myself but that still seemed off because his design is overall better and he's in a more popular and more recent Fire Emblem game.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
Never even been in the same building as an FE game, but Marth has been my boy since Melee mostly because of the backflip. Love the backflip. Paused on the backflip a million times.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
You've had a few answers, but I'll also point out that Ike's sister Mist exists and it's possible Priam descends from her. It's also possible that Priam isn't actually Ike's descendant.

Also who knows if he is even considered canon.
And even with all that in consideration, it could also mean that Ike is bi instead.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Marth is the OG, so Marth

But the real answer is replace all of them with Lyn

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously you have to keep Marth, he's the original main character of the series.

That said, Ike, Robin, and Corrin have completely unique move sets, and Roy has a pretty distinct moveset as well. After that it's just Crom and Lucina, and they have just as much justification being in the game as any other echo fighter.

Just because you care about Fire Emblem doesn't invalidate the many people who do and enjoy the FE characters. There are over 70 characters, inevitably some of them are going to seem extraneous to someone.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's considerably more textual evidence for Ike than Raven — although I agree Raven/Lucius is subtextual representation.

This is actually a good read. I've heard the "gay Ike" talking point for years but never got a thorough take. I mean, that "crying shoulder" scene with is as gay as you can get in a mid-2000s Nintendo game - I'm definitely sold, in the text itself.

Do you know if there's any developer comments on the subject? "Death of the author" an all, and I think the existence of Priam says the people working on FE13 at least are assuming he's straight, but I'm curious if the people involved in the Tellius games have had any input.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously you have to keep Marth, he's the original main character of the series.

That said, Ike, Robin, and Corrin have completely unique move sets, and Roy has a pretty distinct moveset as well. After that it's just Crom and Lucina, and they have just as much justification being in the game as any other echo fighter.

Just because you care about Fire Emblem doesn't invalidate the many people who do and enjoy the FE characters. There are over 70 characters, inevitably some of them are going to seem extraneous to someone.

I'd just rather we see some representation of other character classes beyond sword lord. Put Ayra from FE4 in there. ANY myrmidon. An assassin. A full-on mage. An axe user. We didn't need five or six characters, all of whom use swords.

Just no pegasus knights. Keep them the hell out unless they're an assist trophy that dies in one hit from any bow-related attacks.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Ike's been my go-to fighter since the days of Brawl, I couldn't conceive Smash nowadays without him. BUT... I reckon Marth is the purest swordsman, and he is the original FE character in the series, after all, so (though I voted for Ike) I think Marth would be the one on top.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ike is my favourite character of the bunch, but I'd still cut him to keep Marth. Marth's moveset is way too fun and iconic to not be winning this poll.

On a related note - people whine about the Fire Emblem characters a lot, but the reality is that outside of maybe Corrin, none of them 'took a slot' away from anyone else. There are only four unique Fire Emblem movesets, with the rest being clones that didn't require much dev time. And the only iteration of Smash that introduced more than one unique characters came at the time the series was seeing a huge resurgence in popularity, so it made sense for it to happen.

I can't say I'm happy with most of the choices for reps, but they admittedly all make sense given the time of their selection. Marth fits as the original rep, and I suppose advertising the next game in the series with Roy would have made sense at the time, too. Ike was definitely the right choice at the time, being both relevant and popular. Robin also makes sense as the only other realistic choices for Awakening were more blue-haired swordsmen, which we eventually got anyway. And Corrin was another attempt at advertising the series.

In an ideal world, the Smash roster would consist of Marth, Ike, Lyn, Hector and Soren, but we don't live in an ideal world.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd just rather we see some representation of other character classes beyond sword lord. Put Ayra from FE4 in there. ANY myrmidon. An assassin. A full-on mage. An axe user. We didn't need five or six characters, all of whom use swords.

Just no pegasus knights. Keep them the hell out unless they're an assist trophy that dies in one hit from any bow-related attacks.
I agree with this, I'd rather have Hector or Ephraim or a mage or a mounted character of some kind instead of Crom, Lucina, or even Roy. The series has a lot more variety then you would know just from looking at the Smash reps.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ike is a type of meat, a blue haired tasty beef, I want to milk his teats, and I'll try to be discreet. Oh Please.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Intended homosexuality is sometimes read as asexuality because writers won't or can't write explicitly homosexual pairings — especially for two men — due to censorship issues or potential backlash.

In reality, Ike has paired endings with two different men, one of whom he has a very emotionally-charged relationship with. If one of them were a woman, the implication of their pairing would never be questioned.

I'd really recommend that analysis I linked earlier; it goes into a lot of these issues and the original Japanese text as well.
once again. fire emblem is not afraid of atypical sexual relationships. those existed in a much more explicit manner in past games and in case of ike i am not sure if the tidbits we got really lead us to that conclusion.
mean ike killed sorens father man... of course he would give him a hug after all that has happened.
Says "Fire Emblem" in the title. Not sure what more than that I need to call something a "Fire Emblem game". Also being a musou game and a Fire Emblem game aren't mutually exclusive. Case in point, that musou game with "Fire Emblem" in the title.
Weird post.
hyrule warriors isnt a zelda game either (its called zelda musou in japan)

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Marth is a staple of the Smash Bros. cast. You can't remove him! I'd miss Ike and he's actually my favourite character, but you can't cut Marth so he has to get my vote. I'm sorry Ike, I've betrayed you...

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
Chrom is easily one of, if not the most superfluous characters on the entire roster, but he's also the most fun (and the best), so he get's my vote.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's Roy.

1. Red Hair Hero
2. Only FE character who technically originates in Smash

Roy is our boy.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Marth's the one you can't cut. But that's boring in this hypothetical world where we just got a game with 70 characters and everyone returning, so my vote goes to Ike. The character everyone actually wants to play as and would if he was even just a bit better.