• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I think the argument that "we shouldn't pursue this because it doesn't go far enough!!" is dishonest argument. You can't be criticizing the proposal and then arguing "I'm against it because it only protects children and not adults!"

But that said, the proposal doesn't ban microtransactions. FIrst, let's be clear, it doesn't ban anything. But, second, it limits the sale of microtransactions that are "pay to win" or "loot boxes" to minors. I think that's a reasonable proposal, and if a videogame company is making their income off of selling manipulative products -- loot boxes or pay to win schemes -- to minors, then I think they should come up with another revenue stream. They can still manipulate adults.

I'd imagine it'd be up to the game developer to make their case that a mechanic is not a pay-to-win mechanic. I'm fine with that. If you're a game developer and you want to make money selling a game that potentially manipulates minors into spending money on the game, and your game comes under scrutiny for that, prove that it doesn't, and then you don't get fined.

Beyond that, I don't think you can really say "The bill is too broad," because ... the bill doesn't exist. It's a proposal that hasn't been written yet.

I support regulation, especially a ban on loot boxes, i'm just telling you that this bill isn't what we need.

I listened to a lawyer break down all the issues with this bills language for 50 minutes, he just dismantles it's arguments brick by brick.

They need to toss the language about children, it's pointless and distracts from the real issues with blind purchases. There's already protections in place, it's not the publishers, the developers, or the platform holders fault that parents aren't paying attention to their children. Stories like these are what they should be focused on https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/12/14...0-on-final-fantasy-and-nearly-lost-his-family

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Seeing the announcement that Fire Emblem Heroes would be shutting down in Belgium did make me wonder if it was a canary in the coal mine kind of moment.

But the mobile gaming industry absolutely rakes in cash, one has to think they'd lobby the hell out of congress so this doesn't happen, right?

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
I'd take it a step further and ban premium currencies whose only purpose is to obfuscate how much the things you're buying in game actually cost.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the announcement that Fire Emblem Heroes would be shutting down in Belgium did make me wonder if it was a canary in the coal mine kind of moment.

But the mobile gaming industry absolutely rakes in cash, one has to think they'd lobby the hell out of congress so this doesn't happen, right?

It won't just be the mobile industry, companies like EA and Activision make shit tons of money from MTX. I don't know that EA would even be profitable without Fifa UT.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I remember reading this story and it makes me cry. I too, fucked up and spent a few thousand dollars on Exvius. Due to a terrible gambling problem and major nostalgia for the final fantasy series, I was a lost cause when it came to pulling for certain characters. I completely relate to everyone who thinks, " just one more pull and I'll get what I desire, it HAS to happen if I keep trying". Then the feeling of investment sets in and before you know it you feel stuck where the only ounce of satisfaction you can possibly obtain is if you see that disgusting little sprite pop up on your screen. It's a stupid, stupid thought process and I feel like an idiot for behaving that way. I was able to get away from it all but every game with a loot box/gatcha is looking to prey on people like myself and that person in the article. Despite the wording of this bill, loot boxes need to be regulated because not every consumer has the will power to know when to quit. The sooner they go away the better.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Again, that being a response to me, the person just skipped a few spaces on their "jump to conclusions" mat. I said "all DLC being bad is a dumb view", nothing about loot boxes in particular.

So let's talk about skipping spaces and jumping to wrong conclusions: this all started with a claim that this bill could kill all pay-to-win DLC, to which Linkura said "if we have to choose between both, I'd rather have no lootboxes and no DLC than having both". Somehow from that you've misrepresented them as saying "all DLC is bad, no exceptions".

"The existence of DLC, good and bad, on aggregate, is a worse situation than when we didn't have DLC" =/= "All individual DLC is a bad thing". You cannot cherry pick the actually good examples of DLC like Dark Souls' or Bloodborne's to justify the entirety of DLC as a concept, any more than I can cherry pick, well, lootboxes, or any game cut and sold piecemeal like Mass Effect 3, to justify the exact opposite.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
This is a nightmare. Can't wait to see video games' first amendment protections once again put before the Supreme Court.

Y'all know, these people could very easily alter the definitions of legal and illegal gambling with regards to modern digital changes. They aren't. They're targeting video game first amendment protections specifically. What is and isn't video game content. How that content affects children. This has nothing to do with loot boxes. These people don't even know what loot boxes really are.
I've been reading a lot of your posts over the last few weeks and I've come to the conclusion that you are batshit crazy. But also highly entertaining. So keep 'em coming.

Nov 2, 2017
Now that we have the bill text, my quick and dirty non-lawyer read would indicate that, on the Fortnite example, the bill doesn't seem like it would impact their Battle Pass, but it sounds like the microtransaction to purchase levels of the Battle Pass would be prohibited.

Also there's a carveout to protect DLC, with the caveats that it'd be prohibited if if the DLC gave access to items that impact multiplayer balance or if the DLC includes content that makes it easier to unlock achievements.

EDIT: Also significant, one of the types of microtransactions that gets called out significantly is mobile game energy mechanics, where gameplay is limited to a certain pace for free and then purchases can be used to eliminate or shorten timers.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I'm ok with this. If video game companies need these whale's money to stay afloat than bye. Companies need to start focusing on making good games again and not trying to nickel and dime their customers. You can also make good video games without insane budgets and marketing.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now that we have the bill text, my quick and dirty non-lawyer read would indicate that, on the Fortnite example, the bill doesn't seem like it would impact their Battle Pass, but it sounds like the microtransaction to purchase levels of the Battle Pass would be prohibited.

Also there's a carveout to protect DLC, with the caveats that it'd be prohibited if if the DLC gave access to items that impact multiplayer balance or if the DLC includes content that makes it easier to unlock achievements.

Yeah, the bill itself seems pretty reasonable and focused on pay2win (in multiplayer) and timers/pay2continue.

Here's the link again if OP or mods want to add it: https://www.hawley.senate.gov/sites/default/files/2019-05/Loot-Box-Bill-Text.pdf

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I'd take it a step further and ban premium currencies whose only purpose is to obfuscate how much the things you're buying in game actually cost.

This should also be a thing. You can really ban one or the other independently, but yeah, fuck this, especially when it's entirely purpose is strictly predatory.

Absolutely ban these straight to hell. They serve literally no purpose outside of exploitative mechanisms aimed at increasing spending.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Torn on this issue. I'm afraid this is gonna have a negative effect on small, indie mobile games just trying to get by.

I'm a small, indie developer and I simply refuse to make a game that exploits gambling addictions; I literally would rather go back to office dev jobs. I'd say empathy towards the portion of developers, no matter how small and indie, that are perfectly OK with predatory practices, is very much misplaced; all you're doing is rewarding them, and you cannot reward them without punishing the devs who would rather make non-exploitative games.

The thing all of you seem to forget is that regulations that impact a business strategy negatively will almost always impact competing strategies positively. The market is finite and so is customers' money: banning predatory microtransaction games makes the mobile arena much more viable for non-predatory games. The entire reason customers are used not to pay for mobile games is because "free with predatory microtransactions" has become the norm. Remove the actual legality of these games and games need to follow a traditional business model again to make any money. And they will make money, because there won't be any freemium games to compete with them, and this will become the new normal. The only thing you have to decide is if you like this better or worse than the current ecosystem.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Don't exploit your underage customers, is that too much to ask?

I hate legislation because the people that will make it really know nothing about video games, but the industry has shown that they don't care to self regulating on this issue.

Last edited:

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
it would be interesting if this actually took off, and instead of giving up on it, everyone just started focusing on japan

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This will all be on the ESA and the publishers hands. ESA never moved a finger and publishers get what was always coming for them. I would say Karma's a bitch, but I fear we are going to suffer from this bs the most.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

I think this section is the bit I was most interested in seeing:
(2) DIGITAL GAME DISTRIBUTORS.—It is unlawful for a digital game distributor to distribute an interactive digital entertainment product that is not a minor-oriented game (or an update to such a product) if— (A) such product or update contains pay-to-win microtransactions or loot boxes; and (B) the distributor has constructive knowledge that any of its users are under the age of 18.

They elsewhere suggest that "minor-oriented game" is a definition based on subject matter, content, specifically characters or activities meant to appeal to those <18, the use of celebrities who are or appeal to those <18, and where it's advertised. Nothing really surprising here or particularly controversial as such (though quite open to interpretation), but nothing that strictly prohibits microtransactions from appearing in games.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I originally surmised, the pay to win piece, which would include things like time savers, seem unconstitutional.

The lootbox piece definitely has room to be litigated on its status as gambling, but a dev choosing to include time savers would most likely fall under first amendment rights.

Nov 2, 2017
An interesting bit of the bill is that it doesn't just draw it's prohibitions against the game's publisher, but also against digital game distributors.

So imagine EA looked at this bill and went "Fuck it, we're just gonna release our game anyway" and attempted to publish a game with forbidden microtransactions on PS4, Xbox One, and Origin on PC. If Sony and Microsoft went along with it and distributed the game with those banned microtransactions in place, Sony and MS would be breaking the law to do so in addition to EA.

That means that Steam, EGS, Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, GOG, Humble, all of them are going to have to do something to implement this bill to avoid liability falling on them from publishers looking to still make use of the prohibited microtransactions.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Like I originally surmised, the pay to win piece, which would include things like time savers, seem unconstitutional.

The lootbox piece definitely has room to be litigated on its status as gambling, but a dev choosing to include time savers would most likely fall under first amendment rights.

... the fuck? :D

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

I'm not from the US so I might be bit out of the loop, but isn't first amendment about freedom of speech, press and religion? I don't see the connection.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Until the lobbyists $ start pouring in. Does the us government actually do things for the interest of the average person any more?

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Shououts to the pubs that pushed the envelope instead of course correction. Fucking idiots.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Can we go back to boxed expansions? Please and thank you.

My real concern is legislators instituting regulations regarding content. The industry would slow to crawl if there was a government-equivalent to the ESRB.

Nov 2, 2017
Video games get first amendment protections just like books, movies, tv shows etc.

It's like saying I couldn't write and publish and book and my profit model was:

1. Read ten pages a day for free
2. Read the whole book at once for $5

It seems like to me that wouldn't fly.

1st Amendment is a protection for content. The SCOTUS case that people like to cite that involved video games went down because the bill at question regulated games differently based on the content contained within the game.

This bill doesn't discriminate on content, and instead is just a regulation of commerce practices.

I'd say the strongest case for an argument about the law based on the 1st Amendment would probably be that the bill restricts games based on whether they are targeted at or market to kids, where the law would probably be on stronger ground if it just prohibited these practices across the board no matter who they're targeted at or marketed to.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Video games get first amendment protections just like books, movies, tv shows etc.

Yeah, i'm all for banning lootboxes because they're very obviously built to exploit, but F2P is a legitimate business model that billions of people really like.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

What the fuck does that have to do with the First Amendment of all things? How in the hell is your freedom of expression being vulnerated by the government telling you to fuck off with your predatory business model? :D

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the ESRB had a chance to address this two or so years ago and failed to do so. They should have known this would escalate to a civil / legal battle with the end goal targeting congressional laws.

The ESA has been very complacent with loot box and micro transactional 'gambling' mechanics, finding no need to implement a self-inforced age restriction. People who are parents have the right to be concerned with their children being introduced at an early age to gambling before they have a full grasp of what exactly they're doing. Parents also have the right to know when that type of content is in a game they want to buy for their child. The unwillingness of the ESA to add these to their ESRB rating system is a real joke, especially when simply enforcing a 'Chance Based Microtransactions = T+' would have simply made this problem go away.

When the industry fails to self regulate, it's only a matter of time before the government finds the need to step into the problem.

My biggest problem with this whole thing is the fact it's a Republican bill and, because of that, will likely have a whole load of pork shoved in there to appease other industries who see the gaming industry as a threat to their bottom line. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the ESRB had a chance to address this two or so years ago and failed to do so. They should have known this would escalate to a civil / legal battle with the end goal targeting congressional laws.

The ESA has been very complacent with loot box and micro transactional 'gambling' mechanics, finding no need to implement a self-inforced age restriction. People who are parents have the right to be concerned with their children being introduced at an early age to gambling before they have a full grasp of what exactly they're doing. Parents also have the right to know when that type of content is in a game they want to buy for their child. The unwillingness of the ESA to add these to their ESRB rating system is a real joke, especially when simply enforcing a 'Chance Based Microtransactions = T+' would have simply made this problem go away.

When the industry fails to self regulate, it's only a matter of time before the government finds the need to step into the problem.

My biggest problem with this whole thing is the fact it's a Republican bill and, because of that, will likely have a whole load of pork shoved in there to appease other industries who see the gaming industry as a threat to their bottom line. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

I want to make it clear that i'm absolutely in favor of regulations for MTX, and the outright banning of lootboxes. But children are not an issue here, every digital storefront has parental controls that block purchases. (doesn't matter if they steal a credit card or a PSN card, they can't use it with these features). This solves the children argument, there's no regulation because it's a problem that's already been solved.

This is the type of problem the industry should be focused on https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/12/14...0-on-final-fantasy-and-nearly-lost-his-family This person is not a child, this person very clearly has a form of addiction that the publisher is preying on, whenever you bring up children it distracts from stories like this and even implies that it's ok because he's not a child and adults can take care of themselves.

But yes, you're absolutely correct that we want the industry to regulate itself, rather than a bunch of people who don't know anything about video games doing it for them, who very likely have outside motivations for the bills they're passing. The industry isn't going to make any type of meaningful regulation for lootboxes/MTX though because it's a critical part of their business model, or soon will be. So we need to make sure we pass the right type of regulation, this bill is a decent step in the right direction, but it's not the bill we want or need.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
They need to toss the language about children, it's pointless and distracts from the real issues with blind purchases. There's already protections in place, it's not the publishers, the developers, or the platform holders fault that parents aren't paying attention to their children. Stories like these are what they should be focused on https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/12/14...0-on-final-fantasy-and-nearly-lost-his-family

Completely agree with this. Passing this through as "save the children" isn't helping much except absolving responsibility from parents (unless the kids are geniuses and crack their passwords or something, but that's probably indicative of other problems at home). But the addictive nature of these things is what needs to be looked at, and mainly for adults who can actually spend their own money on them.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any game with micro transaction loot being a automatic M rating sounds good to me.

But I ezoext any Gov regulation to be worse then that.

But the industry has really fucked up. But They have no one else to blame but themselves
And EA. Man. So many people in studios around the world must have really been pissed at EA huh.

This emend has the example of Candy Crush so no, it's not EA. lol

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In the case of japanese mobile games, if something indeed happens in US, they probably will shut down the games there and just leave all of them on Asia and Japan. It's where the majority of the revenue comes.

For western mobile games, the situation is very different as the majority of the revenue for them comes from the west.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
If this keeps devs/pubs from trying to sell me their stupid loot boxes and points while I'm trying to play games I'm all for it. Get your wannabe gambling garbage out of my face and shove it parasites.

I know, I know, broader repercussions and all but these shitheels brought it upon themselves.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
This emend has the example of Candy Crush so no, it's not EA. lol

Battlefront 2 put lootboxes and these types of business models into the mainstream press, they absolutely kickstarted these types of bills. Star Wars is the most popular IP in the world, if you say something like "Player spent a bunch of money trying to unlock a powerful sword/magic wielder in an FPS", parents and non-gamers don't know or care about what they're talking about.

But saying something like "Darth Vader is expensive to unlock even though he already spent $60 on the new star wars game" is pretty easy to understand.

It's hard to put into words how badly EA fucked up.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1st Amendment is a protection for content. The SCOTUS case that people like to cite that involved video games went down because the bill at question regulated games differently based on the content contained within the game.

This bill doesn't discriminate on content, and instead is just a regulation of commerce practices.

I'd say the strongest case for an argument about the law based on the 1st Amendment would probably be that the bill restricts games based on whether they are targeted at or market to kids, where the law would probably be on stronger ground if it just prohibited these practices across the board no matter who they're targeted at or marketed to.

From my interpretation regulating which pieces of your art you can sell will force the govt to prove that it has an interest in regulating it.

Minor oriented games does offer a protection for the bill because the govt has interest in protecting minors. What's missing from this here will be what's "minor oriented" and what's not. Things like Fortnite or FIFA or Rocket League are not minor oriented.

A good look at actual minor oriented games would be licensed games based on children's cartoons. And there's already a lot of self regulation that goes on there.

If whatever final form of this bill gets passed, when it gets to litigation it will be on the govt to defend its constitutionality.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This bill may destroy mobile gaming as we know it: no more apple/android store. In the end, we could see portable gaming like gameboy making a comeback... let's wait and see.

lol Maybe the western mobile industry. But that won't happen to the japanese and asian mobile industry which will go on normally as what is happening here on the west already happened there for ages and gacha was normally allowed as the only problem is kompu gacha. At best in that situation, all japanese companies will just stop to release their mobile games on the west and use them on Asia and Japan, which is where the majority of the money comes by far.

Battlefront 2 put lootboxes and these types of business models into the mainstream press, they absolutely kickstarted these types of bills. Star Wars is the most popular IP in the world, if you say something like "Player spent a bunch of money trying to unlock a powerful sword/magic wielder in an FPS", parents and non-gamers don't know or care about what they're talking about.

But saying something like "Darth Vader is expensive to unlock even though he already spent $60 on the new star wars game" is pretty easy to understand.

It's hard to put into words how badly EA fucked up.

I know all of that. I was talking about this very thing which cites Candy Crush but not EA.

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
The industry has had so many opportunities to rein this in, and refused to do so. A bill being bad or overreaching is kinda beside the point, you know that is how the government operates, so you apply some moderation yourself before it gets to that point. You don't need to be a Wharton alumnus to know that "gambling" and "children" getting thrown around in the same sentences was going to invite problems.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's missing here is that the vast majority of games which are plagued with lootboxes are not minor oriented. Fortnite, battlefront , rocket league would definitely not be considered minor oriented games.