• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
You think MOBAs are dead?

???

There was a period of time like 5 years ago when tons of developers were trying to get some of the League of Legends/Dota 2 pie by making their own MOBAs.

Needless to say, none of them succeeded anywhere close to level that those two have, not even Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm.

I believe this is what he means by the "MOBA fad".

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Finally someone is reporting it.
Finished the battle pass yesterday and now there is nothing to look forward to. Not even a pack. Nothing to keep me around.

What am I supposed to do? Pay 20 dollars for one skin? Nuh uh.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There was a period of time like 5 years ago when tons of developers were trying to get some of the League of Legends/Dota 2 pie by making their own MOBAs.

Needless to say, none of them succeeded anywhere close to level that those two have, not even Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm.

I believe this is what he means by the "MOBA fad".
And tons of battle royale games are failing too. It's just another genre. If you make a good game for it, it'll be popular. If you don't, it won't. It just so happens that battle royale is a genre that's enjoyable to watch, as are hero shooters and MOBAs.

Fortnite is too strong with kids.
Fortnite is unrivaled when it comes to post-launch support.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
It's an FPS game, and not a difficult one either. It lacks the depth of PUBG's gunplay.

Fortnite has wider appeal, tons of support by the week with massive map changes, and far more attractive customization.

Apex is only disappointing if you expected it to topple Fortnite

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah one of the many reasons why Fortnite retains its audience is Epic's rapid cadence of updates. It's kinda crazy that huge companies like Activision and EA can't seem to get that right.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think one of the bigger factors might have actually been the launch of Sekiro. Apex seems like it drew a lot of players who weren't exclusively online FPS fans, but rather just fans of great/'prestige' games. Apex held their attention for awhile, then eventually a new thing came along to draw focus.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
EA and Respawn weren't ready for this to be a megahit.

Hopefully we'll see a more solid roadmap this fall when Respawn's plate is empty

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I think one of the bigger factors might have actually been the launch of Sekiro. Apex seems like it drew a lot of players who weren't exclusively online FPS fans, but rather just fans of great/'prestige' games. Apex held their attention for awhile, then eventually a new thing came along to draw focus.

Has From set a new standard in stealing other games' momentum?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
You think MOBAs are dead?

???

I sort of agree. A few years ago everyone and their mom was trying to hop on the MOBA train, now it seems like the only relevant one is League of Legends and DOTA during the International. I remember a time when LoL, HoN, and DOTA were all fairly relevant, and then there was stuff like Smite, that DC MOBA that didn't last too long, and numerous other MOBAs that have been swept under the rug or didn't make it past Alpha or Beta.

I don't think MOBAs are dead since League, DOTA, Aeon of Strife, and maybe Smite (I've never followed it, so no clue what it's population currently looks like. I know it recently got a switch port though), but I do agree that MOBAs are, at the very least, on life support in terms of new competitors to the market.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, I guess I believed all the hype. I didn't keep up with Apex, but from what I played, it seemed fun but more... simplistic? / straightforward than Fortnite without the building and weekly changes. I have some friends that played Apex solidly for a while too. That MJ Charmander is awesome haha.

I think it's less about the hype though and more about the kind of game and culture surrounding it. Apex and Fortnight are "Battle Royale" games, but Apex steers much closer to the likes of PUBG, Blackout, and Firestorm in being an objective-first design model. They're more, I don't know how to put it, traditional I guess? The only reason to play is to master the game systems and conquer your opponents. The skill ceiling is high enough that the gameplay loop and hook revolves around just immersing yourself in the combat in of itself.

Fortnight really is much more than a Battle Royale game. It's heavily driven by a social, communal aspects in the same way Minecraft was, and Epic knows how to play to that market with its various seasonal themes, items, and other gimmicks that aren't really added as a means to expand and balance the game in the framework of its core design, so much as give the social aspect more fluff to talk about, stream, and engage in with friends.

Until a game comes out that can capture the same essence that Minecraft and Fortnight have, the latter will stay on top.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
Glad Fortnite is rewarded for its fast updates. I really want other GAAS developers to clue in on this kind of post-launch support.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season pass killed it for my friends, bad rewards and nothing really interesting... or so they tell me. As for me, I was not going to get it, and 40ish hours is more than I was ever going to get out of a battle royale game. Maybe with a content update I might try it again.

It does seem to have fallen off, but I guess the crazy launch excitement was never going to last.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Battle Royale games always degrade quickly for me and my friends. There just comes a time when the players put more investment into the thing and there's no chance for us of winning (or even winning encounters) without very demanding practice. And then the pick up and play aspect is dead. Our nights end in nothing but frustration and exhaustion.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
I still love this game and it became my favorite battle royale game over pubg, but I just don't have any incentive to play much. I bought the battle pass and haven't unlocked everything because the contents are boring and there's nothing in it I'm looking forward to. I only bought it to support the developers since I had so much fun with the game before season 1 and the battle pass. I've also been having a lot of server and matchmaking issues. Lots of games where there's not a full game and you're playing solo or duos. I hope they're able to turn it around because it is IMO by far the best battle royale game...

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I fell off with the battle pass. The huge amount of exp to level up per level (I know it's supposed to last a few months or something) with no challenges or alternative ways (outside of the bonus for each character, but I wouldn't even cap per week for the characters I like playing as anyway) just made the thing seem pointless for me. Like, I didn't have the motivation to play for the battle pass stuff and then kind of lost motivation in the game.

didn't help that the friend/s I would like to play with kept making their own 3 person squad so I could never play with them and had to go solo all the time (no offence people here, but I want to play with my friends or alone) and the lack of a solo mode just made me fall off hard. Which is a shame because I really did like the game. The characters and abilities are fun, the guns are good (not you mozambique) and I liked the map.

Oh, and them weening you off getting a loot box every level, then every few levels, then every rare level sucked so much.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Worst cosmetics I've seen in a game in awhile and an awful battlepass made sure this game would never grip me like Fortnite did. I still prefer it to Fortnite between the two, and it's fun to play, but it does amaze me how much they dropped the ball from the initial surge they had.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Half of my friends stopped playing it because the forced head bob made them physically ill.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I genuinely cannot believe how dogshit the Battle Pass is, and how they refuse to do anything about the completely unbalanced crafting and crate aspects of progression. Pairing best of class shooting and gameplay with a worst of class content roadmap and player progression/unlock system is painful to watch in slow motion as they seemingly refuse to fold on any aspect of the Pass.

Apr 8, 2018
Yeah I definitely haven't been playing as much since Season 1 started. I impulse bought the Battle Pass on XB1 with Apex coins from EA Access and the Starter Pack and I think I'm only level 3. Just doesn't seem worth the grind for what's included tbh.

I still occasionally play with my cousin on PS4 though and I'm open to fully returning if future Battle Passes/additions/improvements/etc. catch my attention.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the battlepass fucked things up for me
im just playing to recoup my losses

i was actually fine with the offerings not being too hot because its the first pass, they just released the game and probably didnt have much time etc. it didn't matter too much because if i play and finish the pass, i get my money back and the next pass is free.

mood came crashing down when i finally bought it, played my first game, and the battlepass' xp bar barely moved. if i had known before i bought it that the xp requirements would be like that then i wouldn't have bought it at all. you get three months to complete it, which is absolutely fine, but you have to go pretty hard on it by maximizing your xp gain using the legend bonuses which is a complete pain in the ass. i like three or four of the legends, so the rest of the time involves me playing legends i absolutely do not like to keep pace.

its their first outing with the pass so i'm not necessarily angry about it. i usually get far enough into matches to be somewhat efficient and reduce my menu time. it's just a drag i guess. i hope in the future that they do something that's not tied to needing to play all the legends because i heavily dislike that mechanic.

also the XP booster doesn't even work for solo players. so thats 10 """""rewards""""" that dont provide me with anything. and this is ignoring the badge rewards that are just... your current BP level... thanks respawn

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The seasons pass they introduced was absolutely terrible. I definitely haven't been playing the game as much as I did.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Peak interest in Apex for my friends and I was before they revealed that battle pass. I was prepared to buy it then when it came out it was super underwhelming so I didn't bother. Hope they've got some big plans in the works to bring the excitement back again.

Deleted member 16849

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why everything needs to be a fucken Battle Royal or a big map multiple crap with more than 50 players, even Tetris 99 jumped on the bandwagon. Simple logic says too many of these games are not sustainable and there is a always a loser, if everyone is playing Fortnite then who is who is left playing the less popular games? Black Ops 4 Blackout is already dead in my country and as new games come out it just steals players from other games and it was bound to happen to Apex.

Couple that with the slow updates, no solo mode, bad Season pass then Apex was bound to lose a lot of steam. Diversify and add more modes like 6 v 6 with a slew of maps and offer the non-battle royale players like me something because 1 map games are going be the losers in the long run. LoL is king because i dont have to play the same shit all the time, I can go to 3v3 or Dominion etc.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Apex would be the BR for me. I found it boring.

I'm looking forward to the next big multiplayer fad, feels like we need one tbh.

Oct 30, 2017
It was a combination of not being able to compete with the hardcore teams and the really mediocre BP that caused me to lose interest.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Finally someone is reporting it.
Finished the battle pass yesterday and now there is nothing to look forward to. Not even a pack. Nothing to keep me around.

What am I supposed to do? Pay 20 dollars for one skin? Nuh uh.

I mean, if you are finished the BP already you have likely invested 100+ hours into the game since the BP's release....you mean to tell me the only reason your playing the game is to grind out BP levels? Cuz you can do that without actually playing... I think the more likely scenario is that you enjoy playing the game and are already lookin forward to new content.

I just don't understand the argument i see in most of these types of threads which usually boil down to "This free game ive played for hundreds of hours doesn't give me enough reasons to play it despite me already playing it for hundreds of hours!"...perhaps take a break for a few weeks and come back when the game has something new to offer... whether that be a legend or a map....id be burnt out on the game as well if i was playing 5+ hrs a day (as somebody who plays for atleast an hr a day and is only in the 40s on my BP, im confident your in the minority of players who have actually finished the BP already).

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
The Battle Pass is terrible. If anything it gives me a disincentive to play because I get stressed out thinking about that slow progression, the mediocre rewards that do pop up, and how there's no way I'll complete it unless I grind it hard.

I enjoyed the game more before I paid a cent into it and feel like I would be playing it more if I hadn't bothered buying in. And I know I'm not alone in feeling that way. The Battle Pass is a turd floating in the punch bowl right now.

And before anyone says it, yeah I know it's on me for buying it. But I still didn't realize just how slow it would be. I thought it would add a bit of extra fun to playing, when instead it did the opposite.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I was really in to Apex and looking forward to the battle pass, which came out much later than expected so hype was already deflated somewhat, and then it turned out to be a damp squib :(

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
-Season pass was meh.
-Map is getting really repetitive.
-Too much cheating was why a lot of streamers stopped playing it.
-They still haven't solved the issue of leavers.
+New character is interesting.

I will come back to play it when they solve the above.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if you are finished the BP already you have likely invested 100+ hours into the game since the BP's release....you mean to tell me the only reason your playing the game is to grind out BP levels? Cuz you can do that without actually playing... I think the more likely scenario is that you enjoy playing the game and are already lookin forward to new content.

I just don't understand the argument i see in most of these types of threads which usually boil down to "This free game ive played for hundreds of hours doesn't give me enough reasons to play it despite me already playing it for hundreds of hours!"...perhaps take a break for a few weeks and come back when the game has something new to offer... whether that be a legend or a map....id be burnt out on the game as well if i was playing 5+ hrs a day (as somebody who plays for atleast an hr a day and is only in the 40s on my BP, im confident your in the minority of players who have actually finished the BP already).

No no, I am enjoying the game and looking forward to new content. It's the only BR game that got me hooked.
I wasn't even grinding BP, just happened to finish it.

But given out packages or something to keep people hooked is a must. Or at least have the option to buy things with XP points which are unusable. Have it cost 50k or even 100.

On top of that the BP was a disappointment.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jumped in just before the Battle Pass dropped, so things are still a bit fresh. So yeah, I still love the game in many ways but each day there's just another thing that isn't meshing well. Main issues:
  • Double digit currency skin purchases. Not a pack of skins. A single skin. It's amazing that people actually go for it.
  • Apex packs being gated past lvl 100. Once you hit that, the only way you can get them, and thus any reasonable access to additional cosmetics, is to pay out.
  • Apex Tokens being generally useless once you buy the characters. There are skins that can be purchased, but you must first purchase with Apex Coins aka money the base skin before you can buy the Token exchangeable alt-skin.
  • Craft and Token drops are terrible. People can reach level 100 and still not be able to craft a Legendary Skin. Most can only do one, out of a game to where it would barely register as a drop in a pond. TBH this is on par if not worse than Battlefront 2, but it's F2P and you get no repeat drops.
  • Stability has been increasingly hit-and-miss
  • Audio since the Pass dropped has been awful.
  • The Battle Pass itself is insultingly awful. The weapon skins and banners are either ugly or bland, and the late drops seem to be worse than even the early ones.
They need to be more reasonable in their pricing model and allow Apex Packs to continue dropping if they're not going to increase mat and token (which again are mostly useless) drops. I wouldn't say no to additional modes despite liking the 3 person Squad, but another map to rotate between at least would help break things up.

It's mechanically a great game. But it has fundamental issues that will continue to turn the audience off without the influx Fortnite's massive marketing brings in for itself to fill the void.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
go play titanfall then you quitters

The lackluster pass is part of the problem, but everyone expects them get right out of the gate with all this awesome content, it took Fortnite months to do that.

Still the best gunplay in any MP shooter, which is why I still play it.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Apex was ever going to "dethrone" Fortnite in the long run - Fortnite just has that casual, mainstream appeal that a more realistic or serious game like Apex (or PUBG) can ever achieve. It's less a game at this point and more a social space for kids/teens/young adults to hang out on. You can't beat it through better gameplay becuase ultimately that's not really why most people play it - it's basically World of Warcraft or Runescape for the younger generation.

But why does it need to? I think that so long as they are able to properly maintain the game they'll sustain a large audience that simply want a polished, traditional FPS experience in the Battle Royale formula. It doesn't really need to be anything more then that. In fact trying to chase Fortnite is probably the wrong move anyway, the game has already established it's own niche in the market.

PUBG, despite being massively miss-managed, completely straining under it's own weight, and completely overshadowed by Fortnite and the entire genre it managed to create, still has a decently healthy peak of around a million players since late last year and it's still the 3rd most popular game on Steam - many games would kill to have even a fraction of that popularity. So long as Apex says the course it won't be going anywhere. Hell, TF2 is still the 4th most played game on Steam despite being more then a decade old, and despite some rather questionable updates and items that have made a lot of people loose interest over the years.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still having a ton of fun with it and playing almost every day. The netcode needs work and the season pass is a bummer, but I have hope they'll fix it now that they can ask for more budget.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Randoms no mic. I switch to Blackout everyone mic. They talk about my mom but at least is mic. I switch back to Apex and all of a sudden no mic again. Never any mic. Oh they've got ping alright. Don't talk to me about ping. Mic.

Last edited:

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Jumped in just before the Battle Pass dropped, so things are still a bit fresh. So yeah, I still love the game in many ways but each day there's just another thing that isn't meshing well. Main issues:
  • Double digit currency skin purchases. Not a pack of skins. A single skin. It's amazing that people actually go for it.
  • Apex packs being gated past lvl 100. Once you hit that, the only way you can get them, and thus any reasonable access to additional cosmetics, is to pay out.
  • Apex Tokens being generally useless once you buy the characters. There are skins that can be purchased, but you must first purchase with Apex Coins aka money the base skin before you can buy the Token exchangeable alt-skin.
  • Craft and Token drops are terrible. People can reach level 100 and still not be able to craft a Legendary Skin. Most can only do one, out of a game to where it would barely register as a drop in a pond. TBH this is on par if not worse than Battlefront 2, but it's F2P and you get no repeat drops.
  • Stability has been increasingly hit-and-miss
  • Audio since the Pass dropped has been awful.
  • The Battle Pass itself is insultingly awful. The weapon skins and banners are either ugly or bland, and the late drops seem to be worse than even the early ones.
They need to be more reasonable in their pricing model and allow Apex Packs to continue dropping if they're not going to increase mat and token (which again are mostly useless) drops. I wouldn't say no to additional modes despite liking the 3 person Squad, but another map to rotate between at least would help break things up.

It's mechanically a great game. But it has fundamental issues that will continue to turn the audience off without the influx Fortnite's massive marketing brings in for itself to fill the void.

I was saying this a few days after release but everyone kept telling me to wait for the battle pass. Still laugh about that one. Game is great fun to play but everything surrounding it is absolute trash.

Queue people telling me to stop being entitled.
go play titanfall then you quitters
Why are you so upset?

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
It's strange that these types of games thrive in what you can grind and get for your time. Old man rant here, back in my day I played unreal tournament on the PC for HOURS each day and never needed a skin to keep me playing. I played for fun. Weird....

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's less about the hype though and more about the kind of game and culture surrounding it. Apex and Fortnight are "Battle Royale" games, but Apex steers much closer to the likes of PUBG, Blackout, and Firestorm in being an objective-first design model. They're more, I don't know how to put it, traditional I guess? The only reason to play is to master the game systems and conquer your opponents. The skill ceiling is high enough that the gameplay loop and hook revolves around just immersing yourself in the combat in of itself.

Fortnight really is much more than a Battle Royale game. It's heavily driven by a social, communal aspects in the same way Minecraft was, and Epic knows how to play to that market with its various seasonal themes, items, and other gimmicks that aren't really added as a means to expand and balance the game in the framework of its core design, so much as give the social aspect more fluff to talk about, stream, and engage in with friends.

Until a game comes out that can capture the same essence that Minecraft and Fortnight have, the latter will stay on top.
So, to be the top game, you gotta' not be a game?

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
That Battle Pass is complete garbage. It will take me hundreds of hours to get to rank 99. If I have to play that much in the next 70 days, I'll be completely sick of the game and will probably never touch it again.