• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.polygon.com/platform/am...legends-content-decline-update-patch-fortnite
Apex Legends had the smoothest and most successful launch of any battle royale game. While games like Fortnite took months to build up a player base and a Twitch presence, Apex shot to number one in its first day. But a lack of updates, a litany of bugs, and some fierce competition has destroyed Apex Legends' launch momentum.
Apex was smooth until the game's first patch went live. What was intended to be a simple bug-fixing update instead introduced a host of new glitches. These bugs introduced unintended abilities like player flight and malfunctioning guns. All these issues were sorted out over the course of a couple of days, but it set all the wrong precedents.

While minor bugs are part of any major video game patch, Apex Legends' issues recently crossed a line. Respawn's latest patch for the game, Update 1.1, reset players' account progress as soon as they logged in.

"Everything gone, Legends, Skin, Statistics and all Currency besides Apex coins I really hope they can fix this otherwise this will be really bad," said Reddit user P3RrYCH of their deleted account. A few hours after the patch went live, the developer shut down its servers and eventually issued a new patch that reverted the lost progress.
This may seem like Respawn trying to get the hang of updating a battle royale game, but the slow pace is intentional. According to a post that went out along with the game's first balance update, Respawn doesn't want to change Apex Legends often. "We make less frequent, better tested, higher impact balance changes in order to minimize the impacts on your time spent mastering the game," Respawn said. Rather than upsetting the meta by shifting around what's powerful and what isn't, the developer would prefer to release carefully balanced and tested patches. The result is very few balance changes, and some very buggy patches.
According to twitchmetrics.net, Apex Legends enjoyed an average of around 200,000 concurrent viewers for its first couple of weeks, but since has dropped to an average of around 50k. A few select streamers, like Shroud, can drag the game back up toward the top spots, but for the most part, the streaming community has moved back to old staples like League of Legends and Fortnite.

Epic updates Fortnite every week. A new weapon or item comes to the game at least every other patch, along with new game modes, and points of interest on the map. In patch v8.30, Epic added an entire respawn feature to the game, the new Fly Explosives game mode, and the Buccaneer Bounty event, all just a week after a new weapon was introduced. It's a breakneck pace, but it's designed to always give players something new to do in the game. Compared to Fortnite, Apex Legend's pace feels glacial.
Leave me with a Mozambique if old.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
While I do agree Apex could be updated more often, Fortnite's pace is unsustainable for most teams and are often just change for change's sake.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I said it in another thread it's mediocre first battle pass drove a lot of people away including me. It lacked everything that makes Fortnite's pass so good. But i think if they get the hang of it before the next pass and add a bunch of good daily challenges, lots of free and GOOD skins within it and more frequent updates with map changes and weapons it can easily catch it's momentum back up.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
After the battle pass reveal, I just dropped off. I'm starting to grow out of battle royale stuff, anyway.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
While Apex Legends isn't updated nearly as frequently as Fortnite, and the battle pass was incredibly underwhelming, I think one truth remains, and it's that it's still one of the best FPS BRs on the market. The game feels amazing to play and it feels like a triple A FPS. I think that alone will be enough for it to have a strong player base for a good while.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still enjoying it. I am quite disappointed with their MTX structure and lack of ability to continue to earn rewards as you progress. You stop getting Apex Packs at 100. Packs in the pass are very limited and Apex legends tokens are virtually useless unless you're willing to shell out $18 for the base skins.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
While I agree that Apex was faster, I feel like Fortnite's rise to fame also happened pretty fast too. Did it actually take "months" to gain a presence? I never played PUBG, but I feel like that was the hot ticket item for the longest time, then Epic announced Battle Royale, I blinked, and Fortnite was the biggest thing since Minecraft. When they say Fortnite took awhile to get big, is that also the save-the-world mode?

I might genuinally be missing something because my friends and I didn't touch Fortnite until May-ish. We were living in Korea and PUBG was still the go-to BR game as recently as September (when I moved back home). None of my students had a clue what Fortnite was.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Wait, they released a Battle Pass without challenges? how the hell do they expect people to rank up? Grinding like madmen? That would make people get bored of the game faster!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yea, I'm almost ready to bail on it. The Battlepass was terrible, and it really needs new meaningful content. The skins, rewards etc are all just a bit dull or meh, and then it's just the same map over and over again. Respawn have simply been too slow to react, especially disappointing given how wildly successful it was from the get go. Went from dozens on my friends list playing it constantly, to now me barely being able to find a friend to squad up with.

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
Was obsessed with Apex, and then since they revealed the Battle Pass I haven't touched it and I'm back on Fortnite.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The battle pass was a real letdown for a lot of people, me included. I was so ready to give money to Respawn and they still managed to make something that was so unappealing that it actually drove me away from the game.
The foundation (gameplay and its mechanics) is amazing, they just need to make better skins and events

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I'm fine with their update methodology (not wanting to make drastic changes that upset balance for months), but they absolutely need to work on their content and live events.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I agree that Apex was faster, I feel like Fortnite's rise to fame also happened pretty fast too. Did it actually take "months" to gain a presence? I never played PUBG, but I feel like that was the hot ticket item for the longest time, then Epic announced Battle Royale, I blinked, and Fortnite was the biggest thing since Minecraft. When they say Fortnite took awhile to get big, is that also the save-the-world mode?

I might genuinally be missing something because my friends and I didn't touch Fortnite until May-ish. We were living in Korea and PUBG was still the go-to BR game as recently as September (when I moved back home). None of my students had a clue what Fortnite was.
No I remember it becoming quite big even a few weeks after launch.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I used to be on the "Epic should slow down with adding content and focus on fixing things" train, but I think I might be changing my mind now. It keeps the game more fresh than it otherwise would be, and especially welcome are the frequent balance changes.

Fortnite is just the better game, so it's unsurprising that Apex can't catch up.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Apex's rise was manufactured through $ for streamers and pulling in favours with the media. It wasn't organic at all. We'll see where the organic level is in a few more months.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
And I really thought that Apex would dethrone Fortnite...
uM2nrgZ.png

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The battle pass was so disappointing that I just stopped caring for the most part. If that's their idea of a rewarding grind.... nah.

If they want to salvage this, they need to get all hands on deck to get solos/duos out, as well as getting some better weapon skins into the game. If the next battle pass is as bad as this one, they may not be able to recover.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
No way that this would have killed Fortnite but its a shame how much momentum was squandered post Battle Pass.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Multiplayer games nowadays need regular updates.
It doesn't help that the Battle Pass feels like a mind numbing grind instead of rewarding.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

No I remember it becoming quite big even a few weeks after launch.

I remember Fortnite requiring a couple of months to become the snowball it became. As far I remember, Fortnite didn't really explode into popularity until the end of Season 2 (like 5 months after release); or at least, it was by then when I remember people started talking a lot about the game.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
The fad and focus sure. Will it go away? Absolutely not. It's a new paradigm and game mode much like Team Deathmatch was at it's time etc. It's part of the gaming mode structure now I think.
Maybe, but I don't know how well BR modes will work when offered as part of a suite of MP modes for a game. Part of the appeal seems to be the regular updates and changes, and I don't see traditional MP games supporting that well alongside their other MP offerings (BF Firestorm seems to be an example of this, though BO4 does offer a counter example, so who knows)

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Apex is still the best shooter on the market right now, but after playing with their season pass for however many weeks now, there's just nothing motivating about it. The content isn't very good, and the grind is very slow. I doubt if I'll hit level 40-50 by the time the season is over.

And as much as I've played it, and really enjoy it with friends still, when I'm not playing with friends, the bad grind has just led me to question whether I should play other games instead. If I can get more new experiences out of other games, I'm going to shift my time back to the mostly single player games I played in the past.

Maybe it's for the best. If I felt continuous motivated by Apex updates, (And I hadn't stopped enjoying Sekiro) I wouldn't be playing and really enjoying Vampyr right now!

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I don't think it will fade away, it will be like Overwatch and LoL in the sense that it's consistently "played" and that's it.

It's happening faster more recently than expected.

I figured at least a few more GAAS would be released before people started only having "fad bursts" of popularity through streaming and such, but it looks like we're getting there quicker with the "OMG THIS IS THE HOTTEST GAME" and quickly falling off.

Oct 31, 2017
It also didn't help the game's initial honeymoon that as soon as netcode tests started rolling out, the game turned out to have the worst performing netcode out of any battle royale on the market:

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
The game is good and dererves its success. But a big reason it's losijg momentum is their $5mm reveal and contract with streamers to play for a few months is all out now and many have just rolled back to their money maker games, taking their audiences

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I couldnt wait to give them $20 for that pass then I saw it and havent touched the game since.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Not surprised tbh. I dropped it pretty damn quick since there's only 3 man parties and sorry but playing a game like this with random people is awful. Not having a duos option is losing them players. But Respawn think they know best, so let them do their thing.

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
It was never going to happen.
only thing that will dethrone fornite is a game with another type of mode becoming massively popular like battle royale did.
Fortnight is a social game and a content delivery platform. Epic has worked into into a very particular market and form of content updates that the likes of PUBG, Apex, Blackout, and Firestorm could never directly compete with.
Unfortunately, I guess I believed all the hype. I didn't keep up with Apex, but from what I played, it seemed fun but more... simplistic? / straightforward than Fortnite without the building and weekly changes. I have some friends that played Apex solidly for a while too. That MJ Charmander is awesome haha.