• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
An optional mode in Assassin's Creed Odyssey makes the daunting journey of Ubisoft's latest open-world adventure markedly more accessible for folks like me who can't sink 15 hours into a game before it really gets good. It allows the player to quickly experience the game's novel and inventive upgrades, while doing away with the grind that even the most enthusiastic critics have cited as an irritating blight.

Unfortunately, Odyssey's creators have burdened the mode with a price tag — and the stigma that comes with it.

Named "Permanent XP Boost," the option is purchasable through Odyssey's in-game digital storefront. It's found under the Time Savers tab — a winking label that, read cynically, all but concedes that the vanilla game doesn't value your time as best it could.

For 1,000 Helix Credits ($9.99), the Permanent XP Boost gives the player 50 percent extra experience points for the remainder of the campaign. Accumulated XP raises the hero's level and, with each level, they receive ability points that can be spent to unlock not just the best combat moves that Odyssey has to offer, but a number of quality-of-life settings that make for a more enjoyable experience.

For example, the series is known for stealthy assassinations (it's called Assassin's Creed!). But in Odyssey, you can't insta-assassinate a character if they're too far above your level. Say your character is level 8 and the enemy is level 11. You can barely scratch them; your dagger lands with the impact of a soggy toothpick.

Permanent XP Boost changes that. Not only does your level rise faster, you also unlock dramatically more powerful assassination moves earlier in the campaign. Which is to say, using the $10 option makes Alexios or Kassandra more likely to be the same level as their target, and gives your character stronger moves to deal a lethal blow rather than a torpid poke. You're paying for Ubisoft to make you feel like the hero you should be in this sort of game.

This gets at a frustrating point: Odyssey feels more like an Assassin's Creed game with this option purchased than it does without. The mode doesn't just make Odyssey more accessible; it makes it altogether more enjoyable.

Permanent XP Boost isn't only meant for busy teenagers and overworked adults; it's the right option for anybody who wants to avoid Odyssey's nastiest flaw: the need to grind through repetitive fights in order to accumulate XP that unlocks the best stuff the game has to offer, or even just to see the ending. I wish every oversized video game had a similar option.

But charging players more to enjoy the game at their own pace is shameful and backward. As games strive to retain players for hundreds of hours in order to increase in-app purchases and decrease trade-ins, it's disappointing that those of us who want to experience a game at a reasonable pace have to foot the bill. It's not that paying the $10 fee makes Odyssey a bit quicker; it's that the game's pace suddenly feels respectful, exhilarating and right once you do. The choice isn't between standard and faster — it's between worse and better.

Ubisoft could make the mode free with a patch, or tweak the base game to be more generous with its XP and upgrades, but it has a financial incentive not to do so. Until the publisher makes a change, the best way to play Assassin's Creed Odyssey costs extra. And paying the toll only encourages the publisher to continue hawking Time Savers rather than respect every player's time.

More: https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/4/17936292/assassins-creed-odyssey-xp-boost-price

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Agreed.

I feel as though leveling up takes a bit too long, but so far I've been doing ok because I've actually been doing side quests and a bit of grinding .... But I'd honestly love the option NOT TO. Witcher 3 was great in that way, I never felt like I was having to grind.

Not to mention everything costs time and resources for this and you never seem to get enough of it to make it all worthwhile so you end up having to grind even more. It's a bit riddiculous.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
how is a permanent XP boost a feature? or is this just polygon and their usual AC hate boner?

before people get pissy with me, i'm not defending the game at all, infact i haven't bothered buying it this year because of the stupid XP shit from Origins last year

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Is the grind worse than in Origins? If it's the same I don't mind enduring it, it was not that horrible.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I really really hate premium games with F2P microtransactions.
That's just a scummy practice, I'll forever regret the days of cheat codes.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Weird that this has become acceptable.

I swear we allow more and more every year

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is really just going to boil down to the same discussion people were having in the other thread. That being said, the xp gain in the game is perfectly fine from my experience so far. Level 16 with 13 hours clocked.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Polygon is really milking this subject

I wouldn't be surprised if one day Polygon went the way of YongYea and tried to just milk gamer outrage under the guise of being a watch dog. I hope that never happens.

On topic this article has one of the words paragraphs I've ever had the displeasure of reading:

Permanent XP Boost changes that. Not only does your level rise faster, you also unlock dramatically more powerful assassination moves earlier in the campaign. Which is to say, using the $10 option makes Alexios or Kassandra more likely to be the same level as their target, and gives your character stronger moves to deal a lethal blow rather than a torpid poke. You're paying for Ubisoft to make you feel like the hero you should be in this sort of game.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Odyssey and not once have I thought "you know what would make this game a lot better? Buying the permanent XP boost."

I haven't been grinding repetitive fights, like the article says. You explore the world, you complete quests, you clear enemies out of a location, and you get a lot of experience for it. I have no idea why the people who write these articles are just grinding in repetitive fights.

I summoned my horse and rode across 3km of land in game and had a lot of fun seeing the gorgeous landscapes and towns, talking to people and completing quests along the way.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
I swear this was the same thing in origins where if you were trying to assassinate someone too high level you give off a little damage only for him to repel you away

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

While not having the game, I heard from multiple trustworthy friends that this simply isn't an issue when you actually play the game, doing quests and sidequests, everthing gives you tons of XP. I have no idea why Polygon hates this so much.

If it would be true or similar to the bullshit that was Shadows of war, apparently, I'd buy it, but literally no one I know agrees with Polygon here. IIRC the Instant-Kill skill was literally the first thing they added to their character in the Quicklook at Giantbomb, and that was the beginning of the game.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
yeah they seem really stuck on this

I've been playing AC Odyssey like I would any open world RPG and been enjoying it just fine without any grind, I still genuinely can't see this issue cropping up unless you're rushing through it and avoiding all of the clearly labelled side-quests (some of which randomly generate and are incredibly quick and easy). I've had to run away from some outposts because they're filled with higher-level guards, but that's just how video games go, and I prefer that to the Elder Scrolls method of level scaling making exploration kinda boring

Granted I think the practice of selling this sort of thing is gross (why not just have an in-built "EXP Earned" slider?) but it's by no means essential and the game isn't bad without it

Also the implication that Alexios/Kassandra should be some OP hero when they're just a rando mercenary who hasn't left their home island in over a decade is... something else

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fuck off polygon your shit

Did Someone Say Cosmetics/Microtransactions?
Yes, Assassin's Creed Odyssey does have microtransactions in the premium store. These can be obtained via Helix Credits (bought with real cash) or Ubisoft Club points. A majority are fairly tame such as cosmetic changes to your horse or ship. Others award legendary gear which looks really stylish. Don't fret since it's a single-player game, you're only fighting the computer AI anyway. There's no pay-to-win competition among other players.

Other offerings include materials (time-savers) for those who dislike farming them. There are also EXP and Drachmae (in-game currency) bonus perks that transfer across multiple saves. For the latter, some players might be worried if leveling is stunted due to the existence of time-savers. This isn't the case as lots of quests still provide tons of experience points during your playthrough.

Nothing seems invasive or mandatory thus far and we hope Ubisoft keeps it that way.

https://www.pcinvasion.com/assassins-creed-odyssey-pc-review/

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
lol "pay to cheat your way through an unbalanced grind" isn't a feature.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear this was the same thing in origins where if you were trying to assassinate someone too high level you give off a little damage only for him to repel you away

It was. I mean that makes perfect sense though. If you're going to be an RPG you can't have it both ways and instantly one shot high level dudes.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
While not having the game, I heard from multiple trustworthy friends that this simply isn't an issue when you actually play the game, doing quests and sidequests, everthing gives you tons of XP. I have no idea why Polygon hates this so much.

If it would be true or similar to the bullshit that was Shadows of war, apparently, I'd buy it, but literally no one I know agrees with Polygon here.
I mean with this could I skip side quest pretty much all together?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
They're really riding this hard, huh?
Yerrrrppppppp. Inb4 the usual suspects who weren't gonna buy the game pop in to tell us that this is the nail in the coffin.
tumblr_pa6hs0osqZ1qf5hjqo4_400.gif

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's an action RPG, not an action adventure game like the older entries. There's a lot to nitpick about the game, but this?

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMO should be free, but why Kuchera is so obsessed with this?

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I'm having absolutely 0 issues so far keeping up with the main story. Hell if anything, I'm getting a bit overlevelled. And none of the side quests I've done so far would even come close to being considered "grinding". Fuck off Polygon, clickbaity piece of shit website.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I am baffled that people are actually defending this. Why people enjoy slogging through artificial level gating is beyond me. After I bought the Origins DLC and couldn't play unless I grinder for hours to get to the required level I was absolutely done with it till they drop the grind. If the grind wasn't bad there wouldn't be a "time saver" micro transaction, how insulting to your players time.

Oct 27, 2017
Same shit as that other thread. Leveling is not an issue if you do some (nowhere near all) side content, which apparently is a big ask for some people. The game offers a ton of ways to get experience. This is no different from something like the Witcher 3.

edit: Sidequests in the game are really good too.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Gamers definitely have this problem in general but I can't help but feel like Polygon is being disingenuous with this. They keep framing this as something that's nearly mandatory to use and without it the grind is on the level of a mobile F2P game when it's not. It may mean they have to do some side quests they may not have wanted to, but that's not "grinding" which a lot of people are bringing that word up lately with this game. Grinding is doing a repetitive task over and over again, like battling in jrpgs. It's not doing unique content that you didn't want to do.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Whilst selling what is basically a difficulty option is scummy as hell and all the people scrambling over themselves to defend it are kinda embarrassing, Polygon are the only people I've heard call this game grindy.

Is anyone else making that same complaint?

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
This is such a non-issue. The leveling system is fine.

Whilst selling what is basically a difficulty option is scummy as hell and all the people scrambling over themselves to defend it are kinda embarrassing, Polygon are the only people I've heard call this game grindy.

Is anyone else making that same complaint?

No. Polygon has an axe to grind it seems. It's really annoying and of course some people are gobbling it up.