• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Telling people not to ask for explanations to things that concern us is a defense. Period.
I'm not saying not to ask for explanations - But that we should ask for them when we know what they are i.e what's the context they live in inside the greater narrative. Until then, in my opinion we should have a more mindful discussion - less demanding explanations and try having a more nuanced a conversation, because none of us have enough information to be sure of anything. If you see that as defense - Well, I guess we'll have to disagree.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Good response and what I was hoping the context was. It's so frustrating that we can't just assume they're handling these issues well because of their awful social media posts. I really hope they respond about the racial stereotypes too since those seem even more egregious and less likely to be more acceptable with the context. They still have a lot to prove before I can be fully comfortable being excited for the game.

Nov 2, 2017
They way I interpret the in game ad is that a trans model is being sexualised to sell something, and this could mean that a trans model is as common as a cis model.

You know what might send that message more strongly? Actually doing more to center trans and non-binary people in what they've shown of the game.

Because that's what the game is, supposedly, right? So is the lack of that in their messaging a "we suck at PR" thing, or is it a "we invented some bullshit because it turns out that people didnt like our 'she has a dick lol' joke" thing?

Oct 31, 2017
I think their response to it was succinct.
The in-game ad didn't resonate with me negatively, but I can see how CDPR's past actions would elicit such a strong reaction from many after it was shown off/discovered.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where is any of that happening in 2077? still i get the hyperbole example. But lets deal with the reality in relation to the topic, but i'd say caution is certainly warranted. In that case though people interpret things as they see fit.
A team composed of predomantly white cis people is making a game portraying black men as thugs and trans women as sex objects, going so far as to mock accents and show them as offensive stereotypes, but said that it is supposed to be a portrait of how society treats minorities and that it is a commentary on social issues. Would that be acceptable? Mind you, I'm not even talking about what they did in other instances.

Oct 29, 2017
Honest question for people of color in this thread:

It's not exactly the same as what you're proposing, but BioShock Infinite is an example of a game that was swimming in blatantly racist imagery.

You can decide for yourself how successfully the game executed its message, but at the very least, depicting racist imagery is not the same thing as endorsing racist imagery.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
How in the world are some of you accepting this response? It's spectacular how tone-dead and un-self-aware she comes off here.
If that really was their message, they should be fighting against their own game's existence. They are "the bad corporation doing bad things."
You can't expect to get a pass for claiming that you're trying to criticize something you consider to be harmful while indulging in and making money off of it.

The only difference between this fictional ad and their own marketing is that it portrays a trans person (or, to be more specific, that the fiction allows it to portray anyone but a cis-coded female character). There is nothing about it that would make it in any way more "dystopian" than the status quo CD Projekt helps perpetuate.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what might send that message more strongly? Actually doing more to center trans and non-binary people in what they've shown of the game.

Because that's what the game is, supposedly, right? So is the lack of that in their messaging a "we suck at PR" thing, or is it a "we invented some bullshit because it turns out that people didnt like our 'she has a dick lol' joke" thing?
Have you played the game?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy crap a proper response to an issue involving a trans topic from CDPR

Her explanation is about on par with my initial view of the ad

Oct 26, 2017
I got the sense that's what they're going for; I mean it's a dystopian hyper capitalist future, why wouldn't there be ads like that? It's satirical in the sense that it's an abusive depiction, and we see ads like that every day now but not nearly as extreme.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
this is the dystopian cyberpunk future. there's no need for professionalism from corporations.
Professionalism is what society will find acceptable. Seemingly in this case what other corporations deem acceptable. There will still be conservative norms, but where that line is will certainly be different to today.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nailed it.

I think the explanation is crap. For the message here to be "Wow, look how even when trans identity is publicly accepted, it gets commercialized!" you would expect ads glamorizing the bodies of trans people in a way suggesting fashionability. The "Mix it up" slogan and obvious visual punchline of the ad instead makes the subject of the ad into a joke. If anything the intended takeaway initially read to me as "Wow, a woman with a penis, watch out for the horrors of the world that's coming!"

Yeah this explanation is Bullshit. Now I got to deal with a bunch of people saying stupid shit like "Looks like outrage culture strikes again" and "you guys are overreacting" 😒

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I wish the designer was able to answer simply, "our intent that this be sympathetic to trans people comes across clearly in the rest of the game, but it's easy to see why it could be seen negatively when taken separately." Hearing them say they think the figure is attractive or other statements about intent that are totally divorced from the content itself aren't convincing, especially given the background radiation of the company's bigotry on this exact topic in the past.

I want to be understanding, because dystopian fiction can be a minefield if you're using a specific group as part of your symbol to convey social decay, but that's why you tread lightly when you use a specific, real-fucking-world marginalized group as your symbol of social decay.

The developers decided to showcase this specific footage and open themselves to criticism. If it requires context, supply the context. They have the opportunity.

Exactly.

Last edited:

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
Makes sense to me. It's what I already thought it meant. Very forward way of thinking.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Trying to their cake and eat it too.

Is there a graffiti minigame where you can deface these ads? How does your actions of the player counter this toxic advertisement that you are supposedly fighting against? Of course there isn't.

Such a ridiculou statement.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Honest question for people of color in this thread: if a team composed of white people made a game portraying black men as thugs with big cocks and black women as sex objects, going so far as to call them the N-word, but said that it is supposed to be a portrait of how society treats people of color and that it is a commentary on social issues, would that be acceptable? Would you trust them to do that in a sensible manner? Not considering anything of their past.
If you are, and correct me if I am wrong, trying to compare this hypothetical to the topic at hand, I think the major difference is that one is an ad in the game that is, by the artist's words, meant to portray a disgusting misuse of a minority group to sell product. Whether that ends up being the case remains to be seen in the final game, and arguably it already has offended people so could certainly be considered in bad taste. So far, the game itself has not had a negative representation of trans characters though (at least in what I have seen, I haven't been following too closely).

That said, the game already apparently has some troubling racial stuff to discuss so there is that to consider.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i get why people are upset but i also agree with him.

*Her

Shortly after the image showed up on my Twitter feed, I walked into CD Projekt's meeting space at E3 and asked the company about it. I sat down with the artist responsible for creating it, Kasia Redesiuk. She's one of the art directors working on Cyberpunk 2077.

Redesiuk joined CD Projekt Red years ago to create concept art for Cyberpunk 2077. She would eventually go on to become the art director for both Gwent: The Witcher Card Game and Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales. Today, she's responsible for all the in-fiction media in the environments of Cyberpunk 2077. That includes advertisements like this one, as well as branding for the game's many megacorporations.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I don't set any "rules" myself, it's simply my perspective on how throughout history however sexualised mainstream media has gotten, it's always lagged behind where independent creators, the people or smaller corporations go.

The mainstream tends to be the most risk-averse and feel more concerned about blowback/complaints.

It sounds like you just really want to see penis in the game, and don't worry, I'm sure that will be the case. Minus going soo far they skirt with Sony/MS wanting an AO rating. Unfortunately, you do need to keep that in mind, the ESRB and PEGI have to rate this game and the platform holders allow it.

if they care about authorial intent they could simply release it on GOG DRM free. but if they only care about profit perhaps we're already living in cyberpunk 2077

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nailed it.

I think the explanation is crap. For the message here to be "Wow, look how even when trans identity is publicly accepted, it gets commercialized!" you would expect ads glamorizing the bodies of trans people in a way suggesting fashionability. The "Mix it up" slogan and obvious visual punchline of the ad instead makes the subject of the ad into a joke. If anything the intended takeaway initially read to me as "Wow, a woman with a penis, watch out for the horrors of the world that's coming!"
Wait that's how you view this?

"Mix it up" is a joke punchline, okay. But how does that make it not commercialized? or reside within the context of a corporation co opting a stereotype in the form of a sexualized visual and suggesting certain elements to sell. Especially given the timeline.

Its like company still using obvious racist stereotype types as logo's. I highly doubt its about watching out for the horror of a woman with a penis.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
If this is the case then the game should not be toothless and not tackle this issue in any way. I think its a fine thing to have this kind of topic in this game especially, but it wont make anything better if it doesn't bear out in the game that a stance can be taken. So, I really look forward to how the events in the game can play out in regards to the issues it brings up.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to their cake and eat it too.

Is there a graffiti minigame where you can deface these ads? How does your actions of the player counter this toxic advertisement that you are supposedly fighting against? Of course there isn't.

Such a ridiculou statement.
when real life is more cyberpunk than your cyberpunk. it's such an easy fix too.

enhanced-buzz-7168-1365095540-11.jpg

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if they care about authorial intent they could simply release it on GOG DRM free. but if they only care about profit perhaps we're already living in cyberpunk 2077

What?

Sounds like you're under the impression the artist is feeling hard done by the ad wasn't nude. Unless you've read something wrong, just seems like you're trolling. So 🤷‍♂️

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Their explanation and alleged normalization of gender non-conformity in Cyberpunk 2077 rings hollow in a game that will only let you play as a male or female character.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly quite disgusted how easily people are handwaving the possibility that this has any negative connotations towards transgender people and saying everyone who had an issue with it was jumping to conclusions and looking for things to be bothered by. Trans fetishization is a real thing and without context, that's literally what it looked like. Satire requires it to be obvious enough that it's not being presented as something the writer/ creator believes, but something they're mocking. CDPR doesn't have a good history, with several "jokes" to the expense of the LGBT+ community and half-assed "apologies", and we're supposed to just believe this is in good faith from face value? Without context, it looks bad. With context, CDPR is horrible with representation. It's really not hard to see why people had a problem with it in the first place, and why people may still have problems.

Personally, I think "It's meant to be offensive" doesn't excuse why it's offensive. Are most people really gonna feel angry over the evil fictional company using fetishization of trans women to fuel their own sales, and not just like "eww woman with a giant dick"? This kind of satire requires our world to see transgender people in a good light BEFORE using them to satirize a fictional evil company, or else they fall into a situation where people actually think the same way as the "evil corporation" does.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Sounds reasonable. I hope the artists stick to their vision and offer context and explanation later on, if it's not already obvious in the game. You can't please everyone.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope this signifies a better level of nuance about these matters by CDPR, and that we haven't seen much of how the game tackles these issues because it's harder (I would presume) to establish context for that sort of thing compared to shootybang. Did we even get a lengthy segment of world building yet?

This explanation makes sense to me and I'm happy to hear that at least one developer wants to give genderqueer people a prominent place in the game world. I'm not LGBTQ though, and I think still feeling concerned is perfectly understandable and valid, CDPR needs more than one (contentious) ad to make up for their track record, I think.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not exactly the same as what you're proposing, but BioShock Infinite is an example of a game that was swimming in blatantly racist imagery.

You can decide for yourself how successfully the game executed its message, but at the very least, depicting racist imagery is not the same thing as endorsing racist imagery.
You are absolutely correct about Bioshock Infinite, even though it was way clearer about doing so because it was the entire theme of the game. Depicting racism is not the same as endorsing racism. What I am arguing, however, is the expectation that people should trust CDPR to do it.

Anyone can depict bigotry and criticize it. But when Charlie Hebdo depicts something offensive against christians is not the same as when it depicts something that offends muslims. There is an outsider element that makes satire way harder to do if you are not part of the oppressed group, and that makes it harder to trust the creation of said satire.

Such as:

Now, if someone from Eidos came up and said that it was intentional, maybe that would help. I have played the game, so I know it wouldn't because the rest of the game is not keen on those social issues. I have also not played Cyberpunk 2077, but I know CDPR, which is why it's so hard for me to trust them.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
One of the problems with Satire in video games is that you control a character. And if your character cannot express dismay at things like, in this case, transphobia, then the satire will fall flat. The developer can talk all day about intent, but as soon as you give control to the player you better make sure that it's obvious what is going on. And if you don't think you can hit that mark, don't do it or prepare to deal with the backlash.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest isn't that what a lot of companies are already doing, taking advantage of pride and queer people? We talk a lot about this hyper masculine portrayal in gay culture and how its driving the 'sexy' norm in it. A lot of companies are behind this drive. So I'm not surprised it'd be the same in the future for trans people.