• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Heartimecia

Oct 27, 2017
I just got finished reading this actually, and it's really comprehensive. Brilliant, arguably required reading for this thread.

/Definitely/ required reading imo. I won't make the mistake of discounting dissenting trans voices/opinions as a cis person, and it isn't my place to dictate whether the issue at hand is fine or not, but I do really agree with her. I recommend following her work if you don't already--she's incredible.

There's one thing she missed, and frankly, that I missed as well until I read this article. And frankly, once I made the realization, the in-game ad only became worse.

The drink isn't "ChromantiCure", it's "ChroManticore", as in, "chromosomes" (a favorite argument of biotruthers) and "manticore". You know, the mythological monster that's a whole bunch of different animals collected into one abominable creature.

In other words, the drink is likening gender-non-conforming people to manticores, and directly acknowledges the concept of chromosomes.

Oh, now that you point it out, I can see you're right. BIG YIKES. I'll DM her about this right now.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
But that's exactly her point. She says that it's meant to be sexually exploitative and that it's meant to be viewed critically. Of course, it's impossible for us to say at this point whether the game will actually succeed at presenting it in a critical light (and after the tweets and stuff, I don't blame anyone for thinking it won't, I've got my doubts about it, too) but if we take her at her word, then at least the intention here is to criticise the very thing you're disgusted by.
I advise you read all my other posts in this thread, because I already addressed that PR excuse earlier, and I'm not keen on repeating myself for yet another person who wants to brush my grievances away.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It genuinely isn't a space for prolonged exploration of these themes more than any other single art asset in the game regardless of who it features. It's a part of a world, and one which clearly views trans people differently on some level than out own as per the latter part of the same post this is something that wouldn't happen in our current world for actually and blatantly homophobic reasons.
I edited my post afterward to address the world, not in time to catch the reply though!
Whether it does lead into a wider nuanced theme and includes well written trans and non-binary characters is left to be seen, but there's nothing to suggest that's the case at the moment and they've earned the critical eye of the community over these issues.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see one tweet and they apologized for it. Its really hard to navigate this space correctly, mistakes get made, but I wont vilify a developer just because they made one mistake before when handling a complex issue like this in a game where its really easy to pull things out of context. Its a brave thing to tackle these subjects and I think they deserve some slack, especially when positioning them in complex narrative political situations they are building in this world
It would be great if you could put the same energy your using to defend a transphobic company into defending trans people.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I am genuinely not lying, I don't follow every developer to the teeth or envelop my life following 100% of all game news. I only know about that one tweet, but cool to attack me personally assuming my intelligence.
The article Heartimecia posted is pretty thorough and includes both of their transphobic tweets. What it doesn't include is their refusal to publicly apologize for the second second one (which, considering the context behind that tweet, was especially cruel). The did (quietly) fire the asshole behind the tweets, however.

I'd recommend you read the entire article.

A friend and one of the most prominent trans voices in journalism (especially games journalism) just posted this piece, and it's a highly recommended read because she is super fab at dissecting these kinds of issues, exploring their nuances, and just generally at her job as a writer:

Some great quotes from the article are:
-"In other words, the ad isn't jarring because of its capitalist ideals. It's because of its trans model's penis."
-"So for players who read the model as a trans woman, it's as if she's visibly thrusting one of her most stigmatized body parts onto others, like she wants the viewer to recognize her penis in its entire length and girth. It makes the model, not the society they live in, seem predatory."
-"Even if the ad is supposed to depict a trans woman or a trans femme in good faith, it's terribly inaccurate in a way that furthers harmful stereotypes already existing in our society."
"But it's unlikely that Cyberpunk 2077 will bring about the change Cole or Baker-Whitelaw want, because its own creator seems happy with capitalism as it stands today."
-"So before CD Projekt starts playing with gender in hamfisted ways, perhaps the company should look to itself, and question whether it's perpetuating the very same capitalist dystopian fantasy Cyberpunk 2077 is, on the surface, trying to critique."

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The article Heartimecia posted is pretty thorough and includes both of their transphobic tweets. What it doesn't include is their refusal to publicly apologize for the second second one (which, considering the context behind that tweet, was especially cruel). The did (quietly) fire the asshole behind the tweets, however.

I'd recommend you read the entire article.
I'd classify calling the existance of trans people as "politics we shouldn't talk about because all we have to say are negative things" as a transphobic tweet too, and that was the supposed apology, so really there are three offending tweets, but now I'm being pedantic

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's some good shit right there

You're telling a trans woman to her face that she should just lie down and accept what this company is doing and I'm having none of it. No, I don't give a shit if you didn't know I was trans before. This site is supposed to be friendly to those issues as a default, and you are exceptionally unfriendly to them. I'm tried of people like you who think they've got it all figured out and are content to say "Hey, this is okay with me, therefore this should be okay for everybody".

Don't want to be caught out? Don't comment on shit you know nothing about as if you're an authority.

Dude is literally pulling the "I don't know much about this topic BUT ACTUALLY YOU GUYS ARE WRONG!" card. He thinks he's hot shit but he ain't.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most damning things from the article IMO is how it points out that the ad was almost immediately weaponized by the alt right. They're eating that shit up right now. So even if, somehow, the game ends up delivering the fabled context that makes this work, the fact that they didn't do so now has already given ammunition to the transphobic hate machine.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how to answer this given that life doesn't directly mirror of the blatant exaggerations things brands think we want or want to be now. I typically don't too closely follow games I'm interested in too closely because I want as much as possible to be revealed by the final product but in the reality portrayed by the game I'd expect that trans people don't just go around wearing bright neon badges advertizing anything more than anyone else.

Maybe that's an odd expectation on my part.
I imagine they wouldn't need to, but my point is more: if CDPR actually wanted to make transgender people commonly accepted in the game's world, they would have highlighted that. And considering that when asked about having more gender fluidity options in the character creator their answer was just that it's "something they looked at", I kinda doubt that they put that much thought into transgender people in their world.

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Dismissive drive-by in a sensitive subject thread
I feel like any game that attempts to approach something uncomfortable seems to inevitably get backlash these days even if it was the intended message. I don't know but it's starting to feel like every dev needs to put a disclaimer with these things which would be unfortunate.
Only on twitter...and resetera ofc.

Heartimecia

Oct 27, 2017
There's one thing she missed, and frankly, that I missed as well until I read this article. And frankly, once I made the realization, the in-game ad only became worse. On the drink in the ad, it's the first C and M that are larger than the rest of the logo, not both Cs. In other words, the drink isn't "ChromantiCure", it's "ChroManticore", as in, "chromosomes" (a favorite argument of biotruthers) and "manticore". You know, the mythological monster that's a whole bunch of different animals collected into one abominable creature.

In other words, the drink is likening gender-non-conforming people to manticores, and directly acknowledges the concept of chromosomes.

Update: she's updating the article. Linked her to your reply, as well. :) Thank you for that super eagle-eyed observation.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
I edited my post afterward to address the world, not in time to catch the reply though!

Eying them critically is fair given their past. At the same time it should be at least somewhat apparent why others are looking at the same thing and asking "is this actually an insult to trans people?" It's something that even in the isolation it was presented makes sense in a non-transphobic way. And it is clearly part of a larger theme of sexualization.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
A friend and one of the most prominent trans voices in journalism (especially games journalism) just posted this piece, and it's a highly recommended read because she is super fab at dissecting these kinds of issues, exploring their nuances, and just generally at her job as a writer:

-"In other words, the ad isn't jarring because of its capitalist ideals. It's because of its trans model's penis."
-"So for players who read the model as a trans woman, it's as if she's visibly thrusting one of her most stigmatized body parts onto others, like she wants the viewer to recognize her penis in its entire length and girth. It makes the model, not the society they live in, seem predatory."
-"Even if the ad is supposed to depict a trans woman or a trans femme in good faith, it's terribly inaccurate in a way that furthers harmful stereotypes already existing in our society."
"But it's unlikely that Cyberpunk 2077 will bring about the change Cole or Baker-Whitelaw want, because its own creator seems happy with capitalism as it stands today."
-"So before CD Projekt starts playing with gender in hamfisted ways, perhaps the company should look to itself, and question whether it's perpetuating the very same capitalist dystopian fantasy Cyberpunk 2077 is, on the surface, trying to critique."
Needs to be in the OP. Great article and can't wait to read the revision.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My trans friends and myself are disgusted with how it's fetishizing and sexually exploitative, in addition to how it generalizes trans people with phrases like "mix it up" and the fact that the drink is called "Chromanticore", alluding to chromosomes (which is a common argument made by biotruthers).

Yeah.

Trans rights are a hot-button issue right now, and especially considering CDPR's past history with sensitive topics like this, I wouldn't allow it at all. This in-game ad doesn't need to exist.

Hey thanks for your response! On my last question, I would like to know if you believe there is any acceptable way to depict the intended message that the designer stated in her responses?

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Thanks for sharing, very well written article.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Hey thanks for your response! On my last question, I would like to know if you believe there is any acceptable way to depict the intended message that the designer stated in her responses?
I know I'm not the person you are asking but: better representation.

If we have seen several trans characters by this point (especially including positive depictions) then this wouldn't have the same negative impact.

But right now this is the only depiction we are aware of and it's harshly negative.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I only read the quotes in the OP so far but feel like I just got cisplained to in a damage-control capacity.

Wonder if she sorry, this "person", to use her apparently favorite word for fictional future trans folk who most likely, if we're being honest, identify as women, has many trans friends. She doesn't talk like she does, imo.

Polygon comment is on point:
Jigabachi @ Polygon said:
almost like this company has a shit rep with the trans community and has to earn their trust again to do nuanced shit like this

Edit: Oh, I hadn't even noticed the ad's chromosomes reference. That sucks.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I advise you read all my other posts in this thread, because I already addressed that PR excuse earlier, and I'm not keen on repeating myself for yet another person who wants to brush my grievances away.
Going back over your posts in this thread, it looks like your main grievance is the tweets? (But please correct me if I overlooked anything.) Which I've addressed in that post. I don't think that those tweets alone prove that this was done in bad faith. They definitely can and should cast doubt on the assertion that it wasn't but not more than that. I am certainly sceptical of their handling of LGBTQ issues (and racism, sexism, you name it) and one can, of course, find this ad offensive regardless of what its creators' intentions were but I disagree with the notion that we can know for a fact that it'll handle them badly based on the information we have at this point. And while I understand that this whole issue is a frustrating one, there's no need to get hostile with me.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The part where the writer stated that they are just using LGBT as set dressing... I had never even thought of it like that. Great article.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
There's one thing she missed, and frankly, that I missed as well until I read this article. And frankly, once I made the realization, the in-game ad only became worse. On the drink in the ad, it's the first C and M that are larger than the rest of the logo, not both Cs. In other words, the drink isn't "ChromantiCure", it's "ChroManticore", as in, "chromosomes" (a favorite argument of biotruthers) and "manticore". You know, the mythological monster that's a whole bunch of different animals collected into one abominable creature.

I wish the people willing to give CDPR their good faith despite their history of racist and LBGTQ+ issues would look at this in particular with the faith they've actually earned as a company.

About better communication/representation potential

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
One of the major problems with this kind of "intended message" is how CDPR hasn't made an effort to show us if this kind of social commentary is going to be a consistent theme of the game, or just edgy background dressing. If we had an idea about the kind of in-world advertisements could be seen in the game, I may sing a different tune, especially if the language of those ads aligns with the claims made by this artist. It feels like a shallow and undeserved piece of "commentary" (if that's their honest intent).

Additionally, the game really needs representation, and we need to see that in the marketing to know it's a matter they care about. Have characters directly discussing how gross and manipulative ads like this are. Even one dissenting voice goes a long way (as long as their existence in the game isn't another joke at the expense of others). That's not me saying "one token trans person is good enough", just "this is the bare minimum". As we've seen with reactions to this ad on Reddit and other awful forums, this kind of commentary has no meaning if people take it immediately at face value (and with alt-right jackasses, they love to mock trans people, so they're eating it up).

If there's one thing that's struck me about everything I've seen regarding Cyberpunk 2077, it's that CDPR's been showing off a lot more "cyber" than they have been "punk". I haven't exactly kept my eyes glued to every trickle of information about the game, but I have paid attention, and nothing's coming to my mind that immediately screams, "this game embodies the themes of cyberpunk", rather, it looks more like a surface-level, "wow, cool future!" reading of the genre. Tech-noir, if you will. They've showed body modification in the game, but the way marketing has pushed it, it seems to be more for "modifying your body to suit your interests is cool" than "the more you alter yourself, the more you distance yourself from your humanity".
0e79qtzua0d11.jpg

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Skimmed thread while formulating my response. It's been mentioned in this thread that the explanation, particularly the "there's a spectrum of people in this world" comment, rings really fuckin' hollow when there's a lack of genderfluidity in the character creator. And I agree. The fact there's significant noticeable sexual dimporhism on the gender select screen doesn't do favors either.

So, what, you can use trans people as objects for the sake of satire, but won't even let us play a nonbinary person or, presumably based on said dimorphism, someone who is gender non-conforming?

This is also notable wrt how this is the first definite LGBT character we've seen in game... A non-character. Lol

It's just... Disappointing.

If any trans person feels I'm off base here, say so, but it just feels so hollow.

You can't play as non binary?

Wow, I thought I would finally be able to do it.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the major problems with this kind of "intended message" is how CDPR hasn't made an effort to show us if this kind of social commentary is going to be a consistent theme of the game, or just edgy background dressing. If we had an idea about the kind of in-world advertisements could be seen in the game, I may sing a different tune, especially if the language of those ads aligns with the claims made by this artist. It feels like a shallow and undeserved piece of "commentary" (if that's their honest intent).

Additionally, the game really needs representation, and we need to see that in the marketing to know it's a matter they care about. Have characters directly discussing how gross and manipulative ads like this are. Even one dissenting voice goes a long way (as long as their existence in the game isn't another joke at the expense of others). That's not me saying "one token trans person is good enough", just "this is the bare minimum". As we've seen with reactions to this ad on Reddit and other awful forums, this kind of commentary has no meaning if people take it immediately at face value (and with alt-right jackasses, they love to mock trans people, so they're eating it up).

If there's one thing that's struck me about everything I've seen regarding Cyberpunk 2077, it's that CDPR's been showing off a lot more "cyber" than they have been "punk". I haven't exactly kept my eyes glued to every trickle of information about the game, but I have paid attention, and nothing's coming to my mind that immediately screams, "this game embodies the themes of cyberpunk", rather, it looks more like a surface-level, "wow, cool future!" reading of the genre. They've showed body modification in the game, but the way marketing has pushed it, it seems to be more for "modifying your body to suit your interests is cool" than "the more you alter yourself, the more you distance yourself from your humanity".
0e79qtzua0d11.jpg

Thank you for your response and POV, I have a lot of thinking to do regarding this.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017

This is a great article thank you for posting it here.

Last edited:

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): inflammatory drive-by
CDPR has all my support. Can't wait to play this and find more stuff like that.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting so to show how absurdly sexualized ads are they use an overly sexualized minority group to get the point across. Because this group is seen as a vile and disgusting group of people by most men in the world and what better way to depict it then to use this group of people.

Because it's hard to show a vile and disgusting depiction of an ad by using overly sexualised women to get the point across. Since most men would just find it socially acceptable and ok because it's a beautiful woman.

The irony in this is fucked up.

Yes. If they wanted to show off sexualised ads maybe make one that shows a white man with an average or small penis taking something to make it large.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That explanation, but unless this "hyper-sexualization" is presented as negative in the game or the game includes numerous examples of positive representation it's all just hot air... CDPR has a history of punching down. It's all reinforced for me by the fact that twitch gamers will happen across these ads and just laugh at the "tranny". No lessons are going to be taught or learned. This screams grossly ignorant at worst and a shallow attempt at sending a message at best. Just yikes.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm concerned as to whether or not they'll be able to successfully convey the fact that it's meant to be a contemptible ad within the game's narrative, and whether or not they'll have more positive trans representation to counterbalance it.

It's unlikely that there will be any direct narrative saying how awful stuff specifically like that ad is, if only because the PC and every other person in the world is affected by the deep normalization that the Megacorps have enacted over the years and not everyone realizes how fucked everything is because a lot of people don't really know anything better. That said kinda the point of Cyberpunk is that the entire world is so fucked from not just ads like that but basically everything the Megacorps has pushed society towards and it's more about the players recognizing and being able to experience first hand how deeply fucked everything is. It's an exceptionally anti-capitalism piece of work, that goes at length to showcase how the end point of an unchecked capitalism is one where every part of society is for better or worse exploited for capital gain mercilessly.

As far as the latter, that's a bit more likely alongside non-binary/genderfluid rep because both are very common in Cyberpunk (which is why I found it so easy to identify with while reading/playing it tbh, it's one of the few games where if you're not cis you can actually just be trans/gender queer without much fuss). Transitioning in the Cyberpunk world is so advanced that you can complete a full post op transition in less than 2 months and even have the ability to have kids without issues. (both sire & bear them) All for the cost of a mediocre pulse rifle.

Of course it's just that with people being able to fully actualize who they'd like to be so easily and that ideal becoming proper normal in society, it becomes another aspect that the Megacorps exploit for capital gain in their ads and businesses. One of the only good things that exists in Cyberpunk's society is ruthlessly abused for profit by the Megacorps at every turn.

I am an avid fan of the tabletop, and I think the responses in the thread are interesting to say the least. I find it interesting that people are getting hung up at the depiction of the trans person in the ad - which it's fine to be upset/disgusted over - simply because if you think about it the meat of the issue here is that anyone regardless of if they are cis/trans/non-binary would be an awful depiction. Corporations using people's sexuality for their own means and gains is abhorrent regardless of who it is. Using a cis person in the ad wouldn't very successfully convey that point because using cis people's sexuality in ad placements is normalized for most of the world and most people turn a blind eye to it, there wouldn't really be much of a discussion if the ad was a cis person almost assuredly simply because we've come to expect that as a people even though we shouldn't have to as people shouldn't have their sexuality abused for other people's profits in the first place.

Assuming the game is authentic to the tabletop's design, players should walk away with a disgust for everything related to the Megacorps - which includes the ads - though, and ideally with that comes a disgust towards already existing conventions that are only a couple of steps away from turning into the things Megacorps push in the game, like abusing a trans person's sexuality in advertisements coming from the already existing abuse of cis people's sexuality in advertisements as transsexualism becomes more normalized in the social consciousness.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most damning things from the article IMO is how it points out that the ad was almost immediately weaponized by the alt right. They're eating that shit up right now. So even if, somehow, the game ends up delivering the fabled context that makes this work, the fact that they didn't do so now has already given ammunition to the transphobic hate machine.
I don't think it's reasonable to demand that media should be designed around the possibility that unsavory people might take it out of context and weaponize it.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's reasonable to demand that media should be designed around the possibility that unsavory people might take it out of context and weaponize it.
When you're talking about a community that is as marginalized as trans people are, it's a fucking requirement. Put in the effort or GTFO, imo.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This is an inherent problem with cyberpunk as a genre: the second it moved from individual book writers to actual companies creating and selling cyberpunk-themed (and in this case, literally cyberpunk-branded) products, its anti-corporate messaging became quite suspect if not entirely hollow. "We're using sexualized advertising in the game to signal that sexualized advertising is bad" is a textbook case of this trope.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When you're talking about a community that is as marginalized as trans people are, it's a fucking requirement. Put in the effort or GTFO, imo.
Yep. If you're going to even consider tackling the subject, consult and constantly be checking yourself on the messaging. Otherwise fuck off with the half-baked shit.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

If there's one thing that's struck me about everything I've seen regarding Cyberpunk 2077, it's that CDPR's been showing off a lot more "cyber" than they have been "punk". I haven't exactly kept my eyes glued to every trickle of information about the game, but I have paid attention, and nothing's coming to my mind that immediately screams, "this game embodies the themes of cyberpunk", rather, it looks more like a surface-level, "wow, cool future!" reading of the genre. Tech-noir, if you will. They've showed body modification in the game, but the way marketing has pushed it, it seems to be more for "modifying your body to suit your interests is cool" than "the more you alter yourself, the more you distance yourself from your humanity".
0e79qtzua0d11.jpg

Thank you for this post; it's a very balanced, succint and still comprehensive summation of what's wrong with it. BAD, would you consider threadmarking it if Triscuitable doesn't mind?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I think it's entirely reasonable to demand that when you're making media depicting one of the most abused collectives in existence. I mean, if you make media without a care how it might be used against the very people you're depicting, it's hard to think you care much for them other than using them to window-dress your product.

And I mean, it's not even just the alt-right weaponizing them that shows it's problematic; it has been criticised nearly universally by transgender people. How many of them did they actually run the ad through before OKing it? It's kind of hard to imagine it's more than zero.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

In addition to what the others who've responded to this post already said, I'll add that this specific outcome could have been potentially avoided had they also chosen to show off some of the more positive trans representations in the game, that I guess we're just supposed to take their word for. Not doing so was an exceedingly irresponsible move on CDPR's. It was a careless deployment of trans imagery with little regard for the thoughts and feelings of trans people.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
[/URL]

I initially thought the artist's response was a good one, but I couldn't shake the feeling that there was a lot still wrong with it. After sitting with it and thinking about it more, this article reflects where I am now on the subject.

Thank you for sharing, and thank you for the perspective.

Dominuece

Oct 25, 2017

0e79qtzua0d11.jpg

This is incredibly written. Thank you so much for this intelligent and rational post that sees the isometrics of such a deep and personal issue.

I have to believe (for the sake of humanity) that we see the "punk" within a rich story that reveals full spectrum of what makes us human with a wide range of characters, even if past mouthpieces left a bad taste. I totally get what the ad is eliciting, we just have to see the other, real side of that. The non-ad depiction. The humanity.

Hopefully this game ends up delivering in so many ways that it makes the transphobic, racist, fucks completely flip out and start saying "CDPR put politicks in muh shoot bang game." I really, really hope they do.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for putting in an effort to understand and be respectful. I'm saying that I don't like the idea of demanding that a piece of content or media should be crafted and designed with the assumption that some alt right fuckers might take it out of context and misrepresent it to hurt people. I actually haven't seen whatever this thing is about so I'm not saying CDPR are without blame, if anything I think there's a good chance this is another fuckup on their part. I'm merely expressing that I don't think changing something - assuming it's well intended and well executed within the full context - just because it might be abused and taken out of context is the right way.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
I'm all for putting in an effort to understand and be respectful. I'm saying that I don't like the idea of demanding that a piece of content or media should be crafted and designed with the assumption that some alt right fuckers might take it out of context and misrepresent it to hurt people. I actually haven't seen whatever this thing is about so I'm not saying CDPR are without blame, if anything I think there's a good chance this is another fuckup on their part. I'm merely expressing that I don't think changing something - assuming it's well intended and well executed within the full context - just because it might be abused and taken out of context is the right way.

We're not talking about people taking it out of context, we're talking about people consuming the material that CDPR has put out in the context of everything they've released. If CDPR put this out but also included the sort of context that showed that trans and non-binary individuals are front and center and a normalized part of the Cyberpunk world, we're having a very different conversation here. Instead, we're having this discussion, where the only hint of trans people in the game is this fetishized bullshit. It's also worth mentioning that CDPR doesn't have anyone else to blame for this, since CDPR is their own publisher and they don't have a third party to blame for displaying their game in the wrong light like other developers utilizing third-party publishers might.

It's possible that in the context of the final game that this might be OK, but in order to pull that off they're going to have to go from not apologizing for transphobic tweets to putting out the single most trans-positive AAA video game ever produced by far in around a year's time. It's possible, but not very likely.

EDIT: Because it struck me after I posted this, "the single most trans-positive AAA video game ever produced" is still a pretty low bar, so I should note that it's entirely possible that they clear that and still miss the one where this ad is put into a context that makes the ad not wildly offensive.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Oh, now that you point it out, I can see you're right. BIG YIKES. I'll DM her about this right now.

So, this is where I think the conversation is actually interesting.

I think "ChroManticure" is infinitely more damaging and insulting. It's passing on the idea that being non-binary/trans is some sickness that can be "cured".

Where if it's "Chromanticore", that's using the concept of the Manticore, which is a mythological being that is made of all different animal parts. That easily symbolizes the world of Cyberpunk where a person can choose to craft their own self image using different "parts", both human and inhuman.