• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
When reached for comment, an Activision spokesperson said, "We don't comment on rumor and speculation. We look forward to revealing Black Ops 4 on May 17th."

The sources, who asked for anonymity, said that as Black Ops 4's release date approached, it became evident that development on the single-player campaign wouldn't be completed. One source said Treyarch has since focused Black Ops 4's development on expanding multiplayer and the series' popular Zombies mode. The source described an emphasis on cooperative modes as a potential stand-in for the typical single-player campaign experience.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/17/1...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Acti what is you doing

Mod Edit UPDATE:

Last edited:

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I still don't get why it's not Black Ops IV instead of IIII.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
What the fuck... aside from BOIII, Black Ops' strongest thing is the campaign. I buy CoD for campaign, stay for multiplayer.

I hope this doesn't end up true.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Treyarch? The developer known for stuffing CoD balls deep with content? Not finishing a campaign.

Saiy it ain't so.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
And thus officially ends any interest I had left in Call of Duty.

This is dumb.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love an option to just purchase the MP portion on console, but I know that's not what this is about.

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
Won't buy if it doesn't have a single player campaign.

Which is weird, because weren't the Black Ops games the ones that had a really strong single player component? Maybe I'm just thinking of the first one and how it tied into CoD: WaW.

Oct 27, 2017
Without SP I won't be buying. I'm one of those strange people that buys COD for the SP. I don't really mind though, as the fall is packed and this would help save money.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
That would be surprising given COD's usual development time and the number of studios that work on the series, why wouldn't Activision bring in another studio to help? Especially Treyarch having these issues is weird.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, no buy for me.

I must be the weird guy that plays CODs for the campaign mainly. I already hated BO3, its a shame, Treyarch did awesome campaigns.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well damn... I'm one of the weird folks that only buys CoD games for the campaign. Seems like I won't be buying BLOPS this year then. Not really feeling too bad about that though.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
The average COD buyer, buys COD for the multiplayer and some people just skip the campaign and they don't care at all.

COD nowadays is Zombies and MP, sad but what can you do?

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
This is the same studio that successfully implemented branching storytelling and narrative choice in a first-person shooter. I didn't play Blops 3, although I understand it was a bit of a misfire. Black Ops IIII seemed like a great opportunity to reassert themselves as bold storytellers in the FPS space.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Well that helps me not buy this years installment. Too bad because I really like experiments with branching narrative they did in Black Ops 2

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
They're been given more time with SHG now in the development loop, so I don't have an idea how they would be struggling with time.
Given how many people work on these things, how they're split up, it makes zero sense. I love playing CoD campaigns every year, they're like really cool summer blockbusters that I can invest myself in. I seriously hope this doesn't become a trend for the series.

I don't see why they don't have time. They could have hired outside writers like they have in the past with David S. Goyer (The Dark Knight) to work on it WHILE they were still developing BO3. That way, they're ready with a story when they get to work on BO4. Then, they have about three years to make the actual game.

These things always sell so it's not like they have to "wait and see" to make sure they don't invest in something that's not worth it.

I'm incredibly frustrated by this news.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I find this not only hard to believe, but actually almost impossible. Activision must know that the CoD games attract people for a variety of reasons: single player campaign, competitive MP and co-op zombies/horde style. Making the choice to cut out one of those would, in effect, be saying 'fuck a third of our target audience'.

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
I play Call of Duty for the campaigns, if there is no single player campaign I am probably not going to buy it. I wonder if future Call of Duty games will not feature a traditional campaign mode.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

What a joke, MP and Zombies better be packed like never before. Especially with the countess support studios Activision has you'd think they coy just have brought one of those on.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
That will ensure I never buy it at any point in time.

Same here. IMO CoD's campaigns are the main draw (I don't really enjoy playing MP) and they're pretty consistently "not bad" to "really good" - ie, they're usually worth (and sometimes well worth) a playthrough. Without SP there's nothing to draw me in and no reason to buy. Hoping this is an incorrect story, but I guess we'll have to see.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Considering I always buy CoD games digitally after some major price drop for their campaigns [yeah, weird, I know] this is pretty bad news for me.