• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/11/17225834/playstation-5-next-generation-andrew-house

Vorhaus pressed House on the likely timing of a PlayStation 5, remarking that the machine is likely in an advanced state of design right now "in laboratories." House deflected "the specifics," but indicated a general view among hardware manufacturers, that hardware cycles can, and ought to be, a lot longer than they were in the past.

"I'm very bullish on longer life cycles for consoles," House said. "Consoles are so under-represented and under-penetrated in so many markets around the globe. There's so much potential. Let's not forget that China is still largely [untapped]."

2020 seems more likely every time we hear someone talk about next generation consoles and no surprise considering all the factors from how long and expensive AAA game development is to the fact PSN and other online services are raking in the cash.

Some other musings including your valuable personal info:

House touched on the ability to upgrade consoles inside generations, such as PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X, as reasons to believe PS4 will have a long life. He also spoke of the power of mass data collection, which hardware companies can leverage to extend the life of their products "in a safe and manageable way."

On future consoles using discs:

"I don't have any firm knowledge on this, but my sense is that you will see the disc around in the industry for a while," he said. "If you're going to tap into some of these [developing] markets, then allowing for that more traditional physical purchase model as an option is probably no bad thing."

Status
Not open for further replies.