• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Oh this should be interesting
We sat down with four key former developers and businessmen from Sony to reflect on the original PlayStation, its creation and launch, and how the video game industry has changed over the past 25 years.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
They had the Archipel folks who do fab work (and also did a similar mini-doc about the Dreamcast) help out (entirely do?) the video component:

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
The influence of PlayStation is undeniable. Thank you Sony, for an amazing 25 years. I can't wait to see what you do next.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Playstation 1 was a whole new world for me. So much variety of games, games that wasn't normal to see, and (clears throat to talk in batman like voice) Metal Gear Solid. The cutscenes in that game was all new to me.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Oh...this is a new thread...lol.

Well, I agree with this one alot more. 25 years? Damn...

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Still early on but they're talking about FF7. Apparently most of the programmers at Square wanted to go with Sega. Then the development manual came. It was loose pages in a binder. Which meant that things were subject to change. By comparison the PSone was bookbound.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
bzypso5.jpg

I believe there is a documentary about some of these events:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Still early on but they're talking about FF7. Apparently most of the programmers at Square wanted to go with Sega. Then the development manual game. It was loose pages in a binder. Which meant that things were subject to change. By comparison the PSone was bookbound.
oohh, I HAVE to look at this clip now, lol.

Can you imagine if Sega didnt fuck up so bad......

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Thank you Sony, for changing the games industry forever. Let's buckle up for 25 more!

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ken Kutaragi was batty but man you gotta appreciate the genius. Respect.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
OMFG. At 17:14 Iwai (???) says something that had been bothering me up until FF7 kind of blew the gates off of console gaming (compared to how it had been up to that point). Before FF7, not just gaming in general, but especially RPGs were seen only as a super niche for nerds. But after Sony made it "cool", a lot more people were engaging with them. It was good that more people finally stopped being so prejudice on the subject, but it was still kind of annoying that it took some bandwagon jumping to reach that point.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that was good! I loved how orginally Sony was going to be partnering with Nintendo but that didnt work and we got the playstation

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
There's been an f up here or there but it's undeniable Sony and PlayStation has been amazing and monumental to where we are today in the games industry. Thanks PlayStation thanks Kutaragi and everyone else whose played their role. Keep making excellent games and I'll keep supporting it.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Man this is so dope seeing this from another cultures perspective. Man i love PlayStation and i am so glad they have succeeded far better than any gaming company out here. The first PlayStation really turned me away from getting a n64 because of Metal Gear Solid. That game will live in my head forever!
here's to another 25 years of dominating again!

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
That was an enjoyable watch.

It's been a wild ride and I can't wait to see what's around the corner.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
Those last few lines at the end of the video hit hard.

And from a gamer's standpoint you can almost agree with them.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not a fan of Sony's approach to their mainstream stuff, but I do appreciate their support for artistic works like those of Team Ico. That to me is what positively differentiates Sony from Nintendo/Microsoft, the dedication to arthouse games. They play it safe in a lot of other areas, but if they keep using the money from those safe ventures to fund creative works they'll eventually find some sales from me.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
PlayStation one..
wow. So many unbelievable games. It was the greatest console of its time. I could list so many classic games. Here's to many more years Sony. Keep em coming.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Only 10 month to make classics like FF7...

Man, I wish we can go back to that times where developer can release amazing big budget jrpg every year. You know, last time I played ff7 on ps4, I genuinely have no problem with the visual. The art direction, music and overall presentation still hold up really well imo

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gave me some of the best experiences and memories in gaming. Thought the Super Nintendo was my first console, it was second hand and apart from mario kart, nhl, NBA jam etc I didn't really play many other games. It was playstation where I experienced I wider range of genres, from MGS to Destruction Derby and GTA. The console which truly kickstarter it all for me

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
It's been said before but PS1 was the point at which videogames became not just widely acceptible, but outright cool.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Can't argue with that. Changed the perception of gaming as a distraction for children or nerdy pursuit for adults into something that could be seen as cool.

Wipeout being a fixture in clubs in the mid-to-late 90s was a small but super clever move.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
It's been said before but PS1 was the point at which videogames became not just widely acceptible, but outright cool.

Yes, this was the turning point. Haven't watched the video, but I think Sony entering the console race "legitimized" games for many people since it was from an electronics company that was well known.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Very enjoyable conversations.

That last note... it's easy to feel very nostalgic about that time, but I can feel what he's saying.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018