• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I really hope Fallout 76 wasn't BGS's big project for the last few years, making their next game 3+ years away.

Fallout 76 always felt like a side project to me, like a prototype they spun up into a real game before they should have.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Good riddance to bad rubbish. May this games failure lead to better practices on future titles.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I'd still like to try this game just to say I did. I checked my local Mom n' Pop game stores for a used copy on the cheap this weekend, just so I had minimal investment, but there were none. I assume since nobody bought it new to begin with, there aren't many used copies floating around. I didn't check Gamestop but that's because they'd still charge too much for it.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Fallout 76 wasn't BGS's big project for the last few years, making their next game 3+ years away.

Fallout 76 always felt like a side project to me, like a prototype they spun up into a real game before they should have.
BGS takes a long time to make games (and even with that time they produce a lot of dross). This is primarily because their studio was tiny in comparison to the games they tried to make.

I think they saw this as an opportunity to change that gap.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd still like to try this game just to say I did. I checked my local Mom n' Pop game stores for a used copy on the cheap this weekend, just so I had minimal investment, but there were none. I assume since nobody bought it new to begin with, there aren't many used copies floating around. I didn't check Gamestop but that's because they'd still charge too much for it.

Ours in Germany gave it out for free :D

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Look at the developer updates for this thing. It's being patched by a skeleton crew.

It's likely that Bethesda gave up on it and moved everyone over to Starfield back in November.

Fans might be holding out hope for it to become a good game, but Bethesda is dragging it behind the barn as we speak. But we can't let them pretend this never happened. This E3, take them to task instead of clapping at their self-decremental jokes and rewarding them for withholding key information even after preorders launch.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda should just open the floodgates and let the players do their thing with the assets. I can imagine some talented modders take the map and the idea and create an offline story mode with it.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Its not as bad as peolle are making it. However it does have a lot of problems that stick out like a sore thumb especially given how crazy the quality and frequency of games has been over the past two years

At best you may or may not enjoy it more than Fallout 4 which and it honestly should have been a cheap experimental expansion to that game

It cant hang in 2019 but if you have some friends and some time to burn youll find plenty to enjoy

I enjoyed my time with it but its clear that they dont have the resources to fix the fundamentals of this game or push it to be anything resembling a AAA title in quality

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
Just seeing Bethesda patch their game is incredible. There are bugs that have been in Skyrim since launch they didn't even bother to fix in their "Special Edition". Mind-blowing stuff, like someone told them they can fix their games after launch for the first time ever. Nuts. Bonkers.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was an "empty canvas" game of sorts based on a game, Fallout 4, that never had good gameplay to begin with. Games like No Man's Sky or Sea Of Thieves could be redeemed from the lukewarm reception because the content was repetitive but there were good elements. Here there's an even jankier, less fun, and well, downright broken at times version of something that really wasn't even that good of an idea all along. I think a lot of people would have appreciated an actual Fallout game you can play in co-op, with occasional PvP moments. But a Fallout game where there's basically no story and it all goes down to a Battle Royale-esque (sic) "let's fight and loot each other"... I don't think there's enough content updates or stability fixes that could make this concept worthwile.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the failure of this game doesn't completely kill the chance of a co-op Fallout in the future. I'd love to play through a traditional Fallout with a friend or two.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I think they need to continue to try to fix it and make it better for a certain period of time or else the backlash might be even worse. That being said I always struggled to understand the appeal of the idealistic version of Fallout 76, so it's no surprise that practically it might not be salvageable.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the failure of this game doesn't completely kill the chance of a co-op Fallout in the future. I'd love to play through a traditional Fallout with a friend or two.

Same

The real problems with the game are more technical and clearly people hated the complete scrapping of story and NPCs which was really unnecessary given how it was built

Co Op, character building, and the map were great

But .. Fallout really needs a massive reimagining. From top to bottom. Im talking New engine, UI, Combat etc.

They need to let the skeleton of Fallout 3 go and start from scratch again

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
You mean all the people telling us to "stop hating" and they are "having fun with it and that's all that matters" are not enough to save this game? Step your game up FO76 defenders, time to buy more custom paint jobs #savefo76.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
ps_messages_20190126_19j73.jpg

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
If FFXIV can be saved, anything can be. Saying otherwise is complete bullshit. The real question is will they put in the effort the fans deserve for putting up with their shit the past few month to fixing the game, and the answer is likely no because Bethesda has no integrity at all. Keep in mind that most of their games ship broken and stay that way until modders fix it.

As one of the actual people that played and enjoyed Fallout 76 without being just another bandwagon hater, the game needs to straight up be nuked like FFXIV and started over. If Bethesda had any tact at all, they would refund people at least a portion of what they paid for the busted ass game. The sad fact is Bethesda will continue doing nothing, insulting the people that still play the game with their worthless, joke patches. The majority of the gaming media will mostly ignore the situation unless they can get easy clicks instead of putting pressure on them to set things right. Bethesda should he getting railed as hard as they were since day 1 instead of getting away with this like they did with Skyrim on the PS3, which wasn't even remotely as bad as this game.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Polygon is a joke.

They put this game on their top games of 2018 list and then publish an article like this.

There's a reason I never check their website.
The fuck, I really usually don't mind that people like different games than I do. But seeing Fallout 76 placed 42 and Frostpunk at 47, almost feels like personal insult to not just me but especially the devs at 11bit studios. What in the world.
More importantly, anything is possible in a virtual world, and Fallout 76 opens up the possibilities in a way few games do.
bcUPdcr.gif

"Anything" is possible, except saving the game.
Link to this article?
https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/29/17386324/best-games-2018-ps4-pc-xbox-one

Last edited:

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
And it's a shame because the game can be fun, but the post launch support is not being good.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a copy for 5 bucks from the local video rental place. They bought 4 copies and they just sit there so they slapped "buy it now" stickers with a 5$ price tag on all of them. Figured if they ever fixed the game I'll check it out, and if not its only a 5 spot.

I doubt Bethesda will fix this. They will blame the games failures on everyone and everything but themselves and move on. Has Todd Howard said anything at all regarding this mess?

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
The fuck, I really usually don't mind that people like different games than I do. But seeing Fallout 76 placed 42 and Frostpunk at 47, almost feels like personal insult to not just me but especially the devs at 11bit studios.
Eh, I feel it feels like an insult to all the other studios placed below it.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
You mean all the people telling us to "stop hating" and they are "having fun with it and that's all that matters" are not enough to save this game? Step your game up FO76 defenders, time to buy more custom paint jobs #savefo76.
But it's fun with friends.....People surprised Bethesda's post game support has been bad should not be.....This game needs a total rebuild to be fixed and that is not going to happen.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone involved with developing the game should be required to write an essay about how and why it turned out so poorly, along with an apology and promise not to do it again. That's how Bethesda rolls, isn't it?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, they can only really do three things to save the game. They all overlap, so I couldn't care less about the order of release.

- Allow mods en masse from the community. Modders frequently turn Bethesda games from dreadful into actually playable content, so its omission here is striking.
- Allow an offline version. So many of the issues are related to server load and the items on it, according to some reports. Having all of that with just one person might turn a game that barely works into a game that at least is more stable.
- Allow private servers. This way, the above can be mixed and matched and still allow multiplayer sessions.

So long as Bethesda cares about literally scamming people out of their money, both for this forced online venture and for that trash ass microtransaction store, I imagine they're just gonna let the game burn to ashes instead of actually try to leave it off in better conditions than it's in.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
An embarrassment of a game. I was cautious about Bethesda Game Studios before, but this whole fiasco is pretty damming.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely shouldn't drop it. That would make me doubt them and their support for games. Even if nobody comes back, they still have to give it at least a year of support.

And they need to learn how to do GAAS. They're still on an old school "drop the game, wait 6 months, then expansion" mentality (I'm sure being radio dark is them working on an expansion they don't wanna talk about while the game is a mess). That's not how good GAAS games do it. You need at least monthly content drops and a solid roadmap to say "hey players, this is the ride we're gonna take you on over the next few months, plus balance changes and bug fixes."

Whatever your opinion of them, I assure you EA has a map in place for Anthem that'll start right after launch.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
The concepts that he describes in the article sound really appealing.

Shame that's not the game they made.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Honestly, I'm just glad I stayed far away from this. There was nothing about it that interested me when I first heard about it.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Eh, I feel it feels like an insult to all the other studios placed below it.
Oh sure, just dont have a "personal" connection to those games like I do with Frostpunk (3rd on my Goty list). All the games below it are atleast functioning games to my knowledge. And I didn't check what games didn't even fit on the list, might be that my top 2 is considered worse than FO76 is by Polygon. At this point, I'm scared to even look.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The concepts that he describes in the article sound really appealing.

Shame that's not the game they made.

Yeah I really wish they had approached a Bethesda multiplayer game in a better way

Hopefully this isnt the end of them attempting an online co op experience but for now its looking like they are focusing the bulk of their resources on single player Starfield and Elder Scrolls

Huge bummer.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Anyone who played during the tests could have told you that Bethesda. Might be worth having actual tests and taking feedback before you release your game.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was tepid about Bethesda being the studio to attempt the "AAA" survival game (my favorite genre that sadly is slowly dying now) and it just killed off any other studios attempt at one when it really isn't fair because it's not a AAA game. It was thrown together by a mis-mash crew on a severely limited timetable on an engine that wasn't built to be used on an always online server side survival game.

It's depressing, but they absolutely can't fix it. The thing is held together by scotch tape as is, they cannot add more shit to it without breaking the whole thing apart at the seems. I think a game that wasn't so technically broken could easily have just had an "other vaults open, so now there are NPC's!" event or something and drip feed fixes about mass complaints. But they haven't even fixed PvP, something people said since they announced it WOULD NOT WORK as presented. Which doesn't even require a massive technical overhaul of the entire framework of the game to adjust and fix.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
They have been giving this game out hand over fist too. It's included in a lot of promotions as add ons. Saw on reddit some German company was including it with their sale of hard drives.
But I also read it did well sales wise and was in the top 15 of games sold last year. I guess reducing the price dramatically a week later will do it.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
If FFXIV could be saved, anything can. But I don't think bethesda really wants to save this.
If FFXIV can be saved, anything can be. Saying otherwise is complete bullshit.

Like, yeah, it's technically possible for Bethesda to spend three years on an all-new game with the same name and offer it for free to all FO76 buyers, which is what FFXIV Reborn was, but they likely don't have the resources to do so. Saying it "may not be possible" for Bethesda to save FO76 isn't inaccurate, since we're presumably keeping things like "cancel all their other games to work on this free one" or "sell a chunk of ZeniMax to Tencent to fund a new team to try to release a better FO76 in three years" off the table. Those things are practically not possible; the stakeholders involved would never agree to them.

It's easy to forget just how big of an impact FFXIV had on SE's output last gen. Square Enix perceived fixing a fundamentally broken FF as a do-or-die moment for their most valuable franchise and honestly they sort of bet the company on fixing it. Things could have ended up much differently for SE if FFXIV Reborn had been less well received.

Last edited:

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Same

The real problems with the game are more technical and clearly people hated the complete scrapping of story and NPCs which was really unnecessary given how it was built

Co Op, character building, and the map were great

But .. Fallout really needs a massive reimagining. From top to bottom. Im talking New engine, UI, Combat etc.

They need to let the skeleton of Fallout 3 go and start from scratch again

The did let go a bit with 4. The problem is aside from the gunplay it was in a way a lot of longtime fans didn't like.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I LOVE Fallout, have since the original. I bought the $200 helmet edition day one (at least it was $160 with GCU), played for about 3 hours on launch night, and never touched it again. Every new story tells me that is a wise choice.

I could have returned it, but I kept it on display to remind myself of man's hubris.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
This is one of those games I would pick up a year from now if it was a re-worked, becomes a free to play title and the people who stuck with it got properly rewarded in game.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, yeah, it's technically possible for Bethesda to spend three years on an all-new game with the same name and offer it for free to all FO76 buyers, which is what FFXIV Reborn was, but they likely don't have the resources to do so. Saying it "may not be possible" for Bethesda to save FO76 isn't inaccurate, since we're presumably keeping things like "cancel all their other games to work on this free one" or "sell a chunk of the company to Tencent to fund a new team to try to release a better FO76 in three years" off the table.

It's easy to forget just how big of an impact FFXIV had on SE's output last gen. Square Enix perceived fixing a fundamentally broken FF as a do-or-die moment for their most valuable franchise; it's unlikely Bethesda feels the same way about FO76.
People forget saving XIV was a necessity at Square, the project HAD to be a success because otherwise they were in a legitimate point where they might have had to shut down several divisions because the original was such a catastrophic failure. ARR was done because Square couldn't afford to have everything they poured into the game be a write-off. From what I understand, FO76 was done almost entirely on the cheap by a newly created studio manned by a skeleton crew. The financial incentives aren't nearly the same to save this as they were for Square.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Like, yeah, it's technically possible for Bethesda to spend three years on an all-new game with the same name and offer it for free to all FO76 buyers, which is what FFXIV Reborn was, but they likely don't have the resources to do so. Saying it "may not be possible" for Bethesda to save FO76 isn't inaccurate, since we're presumably keeping things like "cancel all their other games to work on this free one" or "sell a chunk of the company to Tencent to fund a new team to try to release a better FO76 in three years" off the table.

It's easy to forget just how big of an impact FFXIV had on SE's output last gen. Square Enix perceived fixing a fundamentally broken FF as a do-or-die moment for their most valuable franchise; it's unlikely Bethesda feels the same way about FO76.

It's a simple yes or no question, can they fix it? The answer is yes they can. If they gave any shit at all about their fans, they would. I don't give a shit about how Bethesda might feel about the cost just like how they didn't give a shit about releasing a broken product. I'm not arguing about this.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
The current game cannot be saved. It they wanted to salvage the Fallout 76 idea, they'd have to redo the game from the ground up A Realm Reborn style. And that doesn't seem to be the plan...