• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WTF?
Fifa always sold better on Playstation,even last Gen & always will cause of Europe and this is their biggest Franchise.
This has nothing to do with how many consoles there are sold.
Playstation is a Worldwide product while the Xbox is mainly a platform only actually doing something in 2 markets.

This is true. Growing up the people who played lots of FIFA tended to have PlayStations.

Bax

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
WTF?
Fifa always sold better on Playstation,even last Gen & always will cause of Europe and this is their biggest Franchise.
PlayStation is a Worldwide product while the Xbox is mainly a platform only actually doing something in 2 markets.

EDIT: I just now noticed how he worded his claim. You're right regarding FIFA.

Last edited:

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
I'd be happy with Microsoft buying EA. We would get better games with less EAzation.

X Wi77iaM X

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
No idea what it has to do with the thread but since you asked, only top 10 but this is what google told me

2017's Best-Selling PS4 Games On PSN In The US
  1. Call of Duty: WWII
  2. Destiny 2
  3. Friday the 13th
  4. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. NBA 2K18
  7. Rocket League
  8. Minecraft
  9. Madden NFL 18
  10. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
2017's Best-Selling PS4 Games On PSN In Europe
  1. FIFA 2018
  2. Call of Duty: WWII
  3. Rocket League
  4. Grand Theft Auto V
  5. Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy
  6. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  7. ARK: Survival Evolved
  8. FIFA 2017
  9. EA Sports UFC 2
  10. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege

thx, curiously on 2016 they presented one top 20 and in this year EA had more strong presence

1 Rocket League
2 Battlefield 1
3 Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
4 Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
5 Tom Clancy's The Division
6 Grand Theft Auto V
7 Overwatch: Origins Edition
8 Battlefield 4
9 No Man's Sky
10 EA SPORTS FIFA 17
11 NBA 2K17
12 Need for Speed
13 Star Wars Battlefront
14 TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX SIEGE
15 Battlefield Hardline
16 Madden NFL 17
17 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
18 UNCHARTED 4: A Thief's End
19 The Last Of Us Remastered
20 FINAL FANTASY XV

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/01/06/playstation-stores-top-downloads-of-2016/

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
This was the post I was quoting:

That post implies nothing more than Microsoft increasing it's exclusive library, so yeah, nothing good for consumers comes out of that scenario
I was never speaking about the consumer.

I was speaking about the issues MS has had with lack of games and I was speaking about the recent perception of EA. Both would be resolved by this move.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
WTF?
Playstation is a Worldwide product while the Xbox is mainly a platform only actually doing something in 2 markets.
He said EA Games not just FIFA. Madden sold more on 360 last gen for example. FIFA is obviously skewed towards Europe in sales due to the popularity of football here (soccer), and last gen PS3 also enjoyed a stronger install base in Europe than 360. Then there's Sony's sponsorships too.

Edit: Sorry just went back further to see how that conversation started and looks like someone trolling about Xbox and EA gamers.

Last edited:

Bax

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
He said EA Games not just FIFA. Madden sold more on 360 last gen for example. FIFA is obviously skewed towards Europe in sales due to the popularity of football here (soccer), and last gen PS3 also enjoyed a stronger install base in Europe than 360. Then there's Sony's sponsorships too.
Damn you're through.

Takes notes.

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just look at EA and EA Access and the vision they have, how it's the same as Games Pass, and I do think MS acquire EA at some point.

Going forward, both companies have shared goals.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
How could you have possibly already forgotten about the $30+ billion they spent on Nokia and LinkedIn? Them buying a stable company with a ton of potential is nothing compared to buying overly mature companies who lost their place in the market.

You do know Nokia buyout was to get their engineers and patents right? And not to run Nokia as a mobile company?

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I just look at EA and EA Access and the vision they have, how it's the same as Games Pass, and I do think MS acquire EA at some point.

Going forward, both companies have shared goals.

Can you play Battlefront 2 or FIFA/MADDEN/... 2018 via EA Access? Nope, you can't. Well, you will at some point of course, once the respective sucessors arrive... It's basically EA's one-dollar store / bargain corner, nothing more, nothing less. EA has no intention to waste their new titles on that store, they know for now much more money can be made by classic distribution channels.

I am aware that you still believe - or better: hope - that EA is bought by MS at some point. It's good to have some nice dreams. But if you have visions you might want to see a doctor at some point.

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can you play Battlefront 2 or FIFA/MADDEN/... 2018 via EA Access? Nope, you can't. Well, you will at some point of course, once the respective sucessors arrive... It's basically EA's one-dollar store / bargain corner, nothing more, nothing less. EA has no intention to waste their new titles on that store, they know for now much more money can be made by classic distribution channels.

I am aware that you still believe - or better: hope - that EA is bought by MS at some point. It's good to have some nice dreams. But if you have visions you might want to see a doctor at some point.

No dreams at all. Not sure what that has to do with the subject really. And those games I expect on EA Access this year.

EA are still testing the water with Access, I think if Games Pass takes off, they will follow suit.

They have had a lot of success with the service so far and that's without going all in.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I'm sure the NFL and other sports organizations would much rather have their licenses handled by Microsoft than "little ol" EA.

Doesn't Microsoft already have a relationship with the NFL? I wonder if they somewhat went over EA's head for negotgations. Maybe EA is being put in a position to either forfeit their biggest cash cow, or be acquired by Microsoft?

But EA, Microsoft and the NFL all started this gen in bed together if anyone remembers.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure the NFL and other sports organizations would much rather have their licenses handled by Microsoft than "little ol" EA.

Doesn't Microsoft already have a relationship with the NFL? I wonder if they somewhat went over EA's head for negotgations. Maybe EA is being put in a position to either forfeit their biggest cash cow, or be acquired by Microsoft?

But EA, Microsoft and the NFL all started this gen in bed together if anyone remembers.
FIFA is their cashcow, not Madden. They'd drop NFL in a second if it affected FIFA, which a MS buyout probably would.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Can you play Battlefront 2 or FIFA/MADDEN/... 2018 via EA Access? Nope, you can't.

You can for 10hrs though.

EA Access not being exactly equivalent to XBGP doesn't mean they don't have similar/equivalent goals. As of a couple of weeks ago EA Access have greater access to content day 1 than Gamepass did. They're basically at different points on the same road. It's a little more complex for EA however, as making everything available day 1 doesn't have the other ecosystem benefits (XBL, 3rd party revenue, accessories, etc) to cushion the transition. Right now making that move would benefit MS more than it would EA.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Hardly just a bargain store. You will be able to play those games on EA Access in April of this year, not having to wait until their successors arrive. Not to mention the 10 hour trials are very generous.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
The only way I see them focusing so much on multiplat games (I know they already have Minecraft), is if they plan on getting out of the hardware business completely and just go third party. Which, tbf, I could see, though Game Pass might be a harder sell on other consoles, especially Sony.
You read something like this often, the question is why would they stop hardware in the near future?
The R&D cost for a "new" console is minuscule, because everything from the OS to the software to the hardware already exist.
At the same time consoles are no longer sold at a loss and they generate more money than ever through subscription services and mtx.
It's the place for their most loyal consumers.
Why kick them in the face and throw away "free" money (live gold)?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Fine. Their SECOND biggest. But everything else you said is kinda B.S., sorry. You honestly don't know what EA would or would not consider. Microsoft is a much bigger company.
You think EA would give up their billion (probably close to 2 billion with game sales) dollar a year franchise for Madden? FUT team alone made $800m a year, as of March last year. EA ain't risking that for anything.

borges

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Argentina
Its funny EA Games and Xbox users "are the perfect match". So it is with PC and PS users, I mean, FIFA sells even better there.
And Madden, and Battlefield, and anything that EA does.
Xbox, PS and PC users are much more similar of what people want to believe.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
who wants to do an avatar bet

if MS buys EA within the next 12 months I'll use an avatar of your choice for a year

if not you have to use an avatar of my choice for 12 months

who *clap* is *clap* in *clap*

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly think this acquisition would play into Microsoft's current angle perfectly.

Microsoft under Satya Nadella doesn't care about being the market leaders or "winning the console war", they just want their software and services running on as many platforms and pieces of hardware as physically possible. See the acquisition of Havok and Minecraft as examples of this. Having the leading 3D physics used by developers under your wing, ready to be leased out to multiple studios working on a variety of platforms. Minecraft, one of the biggest games of the last decade, running on multiple platforms and even requiring Xbox Live services on those that will allow it. This is MS' new bread and butter.

Now imagining MS acquiring EA and looking beyond the absurd thoughts of making FIFA and Madden exclusive, this will give Microsoft multiple yearly franchises that are released across nearly every gaming platform. They'll acquire the Frostbite Engine, which they can then offer to devs to use on their games, rather than being locked to just EA titles. They'll acquire all of EA's studios to give their own franchises and begin to make new IPs at a much faster rate. This totally fits into MS' current MO.

That said, I don't think it'll happen (see the discussion on this topic in Easy Allies latest podcast where they talk about the logistics of said takeover), but I would love to see it happen, just to see how everything would shake out. Day One FIFA/Madden/Battlefront/NFS on Gamepass? Phil's "Netflix for Games" dream would finally come into view.

Great summary and fits Microsoft current trends of multiplatform support. Sql server runs on linux now, .net is platform agnostic and xbox live is open to other platforms (though noone but microsoft really use it)

Nadellas vision is clearly that of a software/cloud company independent of hardware

Therefore i could see this coming true - IF Nadella trusts Spencers division enough to invest this much in that area

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Let EA become EA Sports and buy everything else and make it console exclusive. Solves the problem.

Battlefield exclusive to Xbox would be huge.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I mean it happens within 3 years. A purchase of this size? No chance it can all be sorted with 1.
I think that's too long a timescale for a bet. No one will even remember it for that long.

But sure, I can make it about whether MS acquires EA within the next 36 months if we change the stakes to the winner choosing the loser's avatar for one month. Deal?

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Let EA become EA Sports and buy everything else and make it console exclusive. Solves the problem.

Battlefield exclusive to Xbox would be huge.

That doesn't really solve any problems. If you're going to leave EA Sports, then there are much better choices for simply bolstering exclusives imo. An exclusive FPS (Battlefield) and an exclusive racer (Need for Speed) to sit alongside Halo and Forza Horizon is hardly what the platform needs to expand its audience.

I think that's too long a timescale for a bet. No one will even remember it for that long.

But sure, I can make it about whether MS acquires EA within the next 36 months if we change the stakes to the winner choosing the loser's avatar for one month. Deal?

Ooooh, lowering it to one month if the duration is three years? That's suddenly not coming across all that confident. :P

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
They also earn money from Sony and Nintendo if they decide to leave those 3rd party.

Erm, technically it's the other way around,Sony would get money from MS - royalties and an additional share if the games are bought via PSN - and earn additional money from the PS+ subscriptions which is basically mandatory to enjoy EA's service games online. MS would earn money by selling games to customers on the competing platforms, of course.

Nov 12, 2017
WTF?
The attach rate of the game on the console is a thing ...the number of users and console is another thing there are countries that are completely influenced by the most famous console brand countries like mine (in this case PlayStation) so they buy this console..just for fifa or Gran Turismo and they will never buy something like persona 5 or the last guardian they don't care and don't know those games..they would do the same if xbox was the most famous console in the country .....also would be nice to see some stats about if most ppl who bought fifa17 bought also a game like Persona5

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh? it was you quoting the other poster who implied the same thing, remember? I'm only calling out that false equivalence you made about restricting vs actually making EA games exclusive

I just found it funny someone was talking about having less options if Microsoft was to purchase EA when Sony is not even giving it's customers a choice to use EA Access. I know it's not the same thing but it was ironic to say the least. Then assuming people were slobbering over the idea of wanting to put Sony out of business, which is not what I have seen. Of course many would have concerns if one of the biggest publishers in the world all of the sudden stopped supporting the Playstation. That would be even worse than the Dreamcast days.

JomanC137

Oct 27, 2017
Because by buying EA they can call those their own? So they basically buy a bunch of exclusives.

They also earn money from Sony and Nintendo if they decide to leave those 3rd party.

That fixes nothing, the problem is the lack of games only available to the platform and them not funding new IPs. Also, Minecraft is not an exclusive game

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
That fixes nothing, the problem is the lack of games only available to the platform and them not funding new IPs. Also, Minecraft is not an exclusive game
Exclusivity wise, EA have a wealth of IP's both living and dead that would probably be kept exclusive. It's also worth noting that games like The Sims have a hugely dedicated following on pc, so that alone would be a way to push people onto the windows 10 marketplace.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
That doesn't really solve any problems. If you're going to leave EA Sports, then there are much better choices for simply bolstering exclusives imo. An exclusive FPS (Battlefield) and an exclusive racer (Need for Speed) to sit alongside Halo and Forza Horizon is hardly what the platform needs to expand its audience.
You don't seriously think those are the only IP EA has that are worth mentioning, right?

Sims, Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge, Plants vs Zombies, Dragon Age, Command & Conquer (I think they own this still?), Burnout, SSX, Syndicate, I think they have Wing Commander IP as well. That's just top of my head. Road Rash?

EA Sports is the wing I wouldn't want, as MS. Those are the ones you can't make exclusive.

Aminga

Oct 27, 2017
You don't seriously think those are the only IP EA has that are worth mentioning, right?

Sims, Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge, Plants vs Zombies, Dragon Age, Command & Conquer (I think they own this still?), Burnout, SSX, Syndicate, I think they have Wing Commander IP as well. That's just top of my head. Road Rash?

EA Sports is the wing I wouldn't want, as MS. Those are the ones you can't make exclusive.

You really believe that Microsoft *if* they buy EA will make sports titles exclusive? What's the reason? When they bought mojang did they make Minecraft exclusive? What's the reasoning for them to do ?

EDIT:
I responded to a quote at least I thought I did but I stupidly quoted a poster that I agree with. I will leave this post as evidence of said stupidity, sorry!

Last edited: