• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So Microsoft buys EA (which already has EA Access vault on Xbox) and offers up all its games plus its own first party games on a game pass subscription model, ala Netflix. I think that would be a serious threat to Sony.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fd9vVUd.gif

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like every mega corp is rumored to be in M&A mode due to the recent tax cuts.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
EA has a market capitalization of $36.26 billion. Microsoft's market capitalization is $726.17 billion.

There is no way in hell MS is going to spend 5% of its market capitalization to acquire EA.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
What would they even get from that? EA's most profitable games are the sports games and I can't see FIFA giving them the license if it's only out on one console.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I would not be surprised, to be honest. Buying up a big publisher like EA with a lot of studios and IPs would go a long way to expanding the Xbox exclusive library. Buying Valve would put Microsoft back in the #1 spot of PC gaming.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
What's EAs market cap? $30 billion?

This is an insane idea and polygon is not a reliable news source.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If MS were to buy EA I don't see them keeping all that software exclusive (ex: Minecraft) too much money to be made on multiple platforms.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I would not mind this. If EA were a Microsoft subsidiary and theoretically exclusive to them and PC, there is no way they could hold onto exclusive rights for franchises such as Star Wars, and there would be a huge opportunity for competition in the sports games zone.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Very, very, very doubtful. Microsoft is looking to downscale game projects, not go all in on an investment like this. I would be shocked if this were true.

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No chance, I don't think this will actually happen in the end and it would be pretty damn weird seeing EA exclusives for Xbox. Might do more harm or not.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sure...

EAs biggest Game Fifa sells 70+% of its units every year on Playstation and EA made even more money with the current Fifa than ever before cause they have now the marketing deal with Sony = Europe Domination and they will get rid of all that to serve under someone who is dead outside of 2 markets in which they get beaten easily too by Sony?Makes sense!

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
That would be pointless given their sports franchises (eg FIFA) require them to be multiplatfom. Unless Microsoft is going... No I won't say it :p

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
Jesus, talk about a game changer. I can't imagine how the landscape would change if this is true.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
How would that work with the licensed games EA makes? Would they need to renegotiate with FIFA and the NFL?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
There's a way to make the PapEA comic applicable to this situation but I haven't figured it out yet

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Why? Almost all of EA's value is based off of profits from lootboxes in their yearly sports franchises. Seems like an awful purchase.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This seems borderline illegal. Obviously not actually illegal, but there should be steps in place to prevent it from happening.

The only way I could see this being a worthwhile investment for Microsoft is if they plan to get out of the console business entirely, and want to use EA's infrastructure to basically become the unquestioned king of third party publishing. Maintaining EA as a subsidiary would be way too expensive for someone who still wants to run a console business.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Sounds a lot like Disney's purchase of Fox, when you consider the implications on their on-demand/streaming service. With MS clearly going all-in on their Game Pass, it would make sense for them to fill out their stable with other significant properties that they could put as exclusives within Game Pass.

I doubt this will happen, though.

Oct 25, 2017
If it did happen they'd just be buying the name EA.

EA wouldn't be able to hold their biggest properties. Madden wouldn't be the name in football anymore. They'd lose Fifa. They'd lose Star Wars.

It's be tens of billions in an acquisition and they'd get little for it.

I'd say false. If not false then mindbogglingly dumb.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
So would Nintendo and Sony have to get their own sports games from now on, then?