• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
EA's licensed properties would not go along with this most likely. Stuff like Madden, Star Wars, FIFA, etc would probably have options to revoke the licenses on their properties

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know what let's spitball these for a minute:

If Microsoft got EA I wouldn't be surprised if they let them keep publishing games on Nintendo and PlayStation. They let Minecraft continue to publish under every platform under the sun. There comes a certain point where Microsoft-owned software penetrates so much it doesn't make sense to restrict it to Xbox and Windows. Madden and Fifa have reached that point. They're more like MS Office than other video games in terms of popularity.

If Microsoft somehow got Valve I also believe it wouldn't kill Steam, only take it over. Maybe SteamOS and Steam Linux would slow down and eventually die off, but Microsoft would probably see more gain by profiting off a store that basically encompasses 50% of PC gaming, than by killing it.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
I have absolutely no idea where people get the idea of exclusive games for Xbox even if there is some truth to this rumor.

If MS is shelling enough money to buy EA, it will be more to expand their games business model which means they will retain the games as they are, and reap the benefits of the business along with it. They did the same with Minecraft so it is not a new thing for them. They aren't going to drop such big bucks just to make some Xbox exclusives.
Yup.
Same situation as Minecraft.

ZER0

Oct 28, 2017
Not interested in EA games, but as long as they do the same thing like they did when they bought minecraft(keep supporting other platfroms) I wouldn't really care.

I just hope they won't buy the good 3rd parties away.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft pulls this off and we may finally get that highly anticipated Nintendo PlayStation console

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
That is unexpected because EA is really really expensive but makes sense.

MS need 3rd to GamePass works and nothing better to increase the portfolio than a EA that has games in almost all genres.

The next pass is spread GamePass across all platforms... profit.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Redmond isn't going to sanction the purchase of a $40b publishing house. They can afford 10x over, but that is way too much money that is better spent investing elsewhere in the business. This reads like fanboy nonsense.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This would be awful for the industry overall given how big EA is, but personally it wouldn't affect me much as neither company really puts out anything interesting anymore. If anything MS may force EA to make something interesting once in a while.

I don't really think it has a huge chance of happening. The acquisition would be in the billions which is more than the gaming division is probably allowed to spend.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Unless they treat it like Minecraft and continue to put out games on all platforms, I can't imagine EA partners like Disney and NLF would be too pleased with a drastic cut in audiences.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I mean why? madden and fifa do crazy numbers because they're on everything. To spend 36 billion for some sports games, battlefield and bioware is absurd lol.

They can build studios and just buy out studios completely for way fucking less.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Utterly insane rumor. They would have to drop much cash to get EA but it would be a massive get for MS.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Would be completely hilarious if this was true and Madden, Fifa, Battlefield etc and everything went PC/Xbox only buahahahahaha

The internet would implode

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sounds a lot like Disney's purchase of Fox, when you consider the implications on their on-demand/streaming service. With MS clearly going all-in on their Game Pass, it would make sense for them to fill out their stable with other significant properties that they could put as exclusives within Game Pass.

I doubt this will happen, though.
My thoughts exactly. At least with Disney-Fox, Disney didn't purchase Fox News or Fox Sports, which alleviated some of the monopoly concerns. In this case, I could see such a buy-out being a legitimate concern for the gaming industry considering how big EA is as a third party publisher.

Could Microsoft buy EA, sure. But I'm not sure if EA would even want to be bought out.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
MS going the disney route of evil monopolistic mega corp? Just start grabbing up all the major pubs around you and then, no competition!

Doffen

Oct 28, 2017
This would pretty much only make sense if they were going third party.

You can get Office 365 on Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android. I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox (as in Game Pass) eventually appeared on other systems than Windows and Xbox.
The Netflix of the video gaming industry.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
That would be so expensive, but that would shake things up pretty big. Never really thought an acquisition like that would be feasible.

Oct 25, 2017
If they would with no exclusivity deals then that about wraps in up for the Xbox brand of console.

That'd be the surest signal we've ever gotten that MS wants out of the hardware game yet.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
Good for them if true. It'd actually give them exclusives worth something, but I still ultimately wouldn't care about the Xbox brand.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that would be absolutely huge if they did. it would be a real sign of intent from MS going into next gen and if managed properly could change the very state of the whole gaming industry. just think..microsoft having the likes of battlefield, fifa, star wars, in their catalogue.

BT-787

Oct 26, 2017
I have absolutely no idea where people get the idea of exclusive games for Xbox even if there is some truth to this rumor.

If MS is shelling enough money to buy EA, it will be more to expand their games business model which means they will retain the games as they are, and reap the benefits of the business along with it. They did the same with Minecraft so it is not a new thing for them. They aren't going to drop such big bucks just to make some Xbox exclusives.
Exactly. The entire narrative to buy EA to make a bunch of exclusives doesn't ensure any return of investment. Makes me wonder what Polygon was thinking before putting their piece together. Unless of course they know what's going to happen and are teasing what's next.