• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Eh9pDZmX0AcH0cS.jpg:large

Patricia Hernandez said:
Nintendo released a software update for Nintendo Switch on Monday, and while most of the changes are under-the-hood "system stability improvements," one tweak will be noticeable to folks trying to make new user accounts or send messages.

According to Nintendo modder and tinkerer OatmealDome, Ver. 10.2.0 expands the number of banned words on the platform, including terms such as KKK, slave, nazi, and ACAB. The ban list also includes terms such as coronavirus and COVID. Polygon tested these words out while making a new user on a Nintendo Switch lite and found that while they resulted in a warning message, the acronym BLM was allowed by the system. Most of these words seem to be a response to the current political moment in America.

Source: Polygon

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
So does this mean Nintendo is Pro Police Brutality as no other reason you would ban the Acronym ACAB?

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
And that is worldwide? while I agree with ACAB, not all B are equally bad (or trigger happy, to be more precise).
EDIT: Because I don't want any confusion, I'm not condoning police brutality, racism, or making whataboutism. Simply questioning if it has been tested worldwide or the ban affects just the US.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So does this mean Nintendo is Pro Police Brutality as no other reason you would ban the Acronym ACAB?
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and just imagine they don't want an acronym with the word "bastard" in it, it's not a very family friendly word.

But people still have a right to be upset over it of course.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Only thing I can think of is ACAB being All Cops Are Bastards and banning it for the swear.

Do they also ban WTF and other acronyms that use swears? Because if not then yeah, just seems like supporting police...

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I know Twitter has a lot of folks that added ACAB to their nicknames lol.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why ACAB, Nintendo?

Because the B stands for Bastards or do you actually believe "not all cops are bad apples"?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and just imagine they don't want an acronym with the word "bastard" in it, it's not a very family friendly word.

I'm guessing this is the reason as well, but no matter how you look at it, it's still not a good look.

ACAB can easily be "All Cops Are Bad", but then again I guess that's like someone saying "O.P.P." stands for "Other People's Property"

collige

Oct 31, 2017
How is the filter actually implemented? What happens if I decide to call myself "xXmacabreGamerXx"?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
stupid shit

Why is a virus a negative? We are going to ban anything else related to disease?

Also, ACAB. Fuck off Nintendo.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Are you asking for permission to believe that? If that's what you want to believe, go for it. But I believe that no-one should be looking at Nintendo's username system on the Switch as a political statement.

May 26, 2018
This is some wild shit. Banned the word coronavirus? What is Nintendo's model, whistle the day away like some kind of Twilight Zone episode?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
All Cops Are Bad

I never used it with bastard, especially considering how many women are cops. Either way this is stupid and Nintendo looks bad here IMO.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Cant allow ACAB when youve got a cop in Arms and Astral Chain I guess
Funny enough, Byte & Barq are the bottom of the barrel in popularity (Min Min is #1, Twintelle & Ninjara are #2 depending on the region) & competitive viability (Dr. Coyle is top-tier, with Min Min & Twintelle right below her).

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, I see. It's besides the point - but that's still a bummer. Wii U and 3DS were so much more advanced than this. Such a shame.
The pedophile targeting stuff that happened in Japan really spooked Nintendo. But instead of focusing on parental controls, they basically neutered their online messaging and went with an awkward Smartphone app approach. Kinda nuts how Miiverse was so much more advanced than anyone on the Switch, which has no semblance of community at all.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017

Should they ban games with Bastard in the title?

www.nintendo.com

Void Bastards for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy Void Bastards and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Well, I've played games of Splatoon with people named "ChinaVirus" and "Trump 2020" recently, so maybe let's work on banning those eh?

Oct 27, 2017
The pedophile targeting stuff that happened in Japan really spooked Nintendo. But instead of focusing on parental controls, they basically neutered their online messaging and went with an awkward Smartphone app approach. Kinda nuts how Miiverse was so much more advanced than anyone on the Switch, which has no semblance of community at all.
I think it's because parents largely don't use parental controls anyway

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017