• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
www.polygon.com

Xbox Series X will have Microsoft’s ‘most diverse collection of first-party games’

Games that you can also play on Xbox One (and elsewhere)
First Party Investment:
Xbox Series X will also launch with a major investment in game studios from Microsoft. Over the past two years, the company has added Ninja Theory, Obsidian Entertainment, Undead Labs, inXile Entertainment, and others to its internal stable. It spun up a new studio, The Initiative, to create something still unannounced. It also has the likes of Rare, 343 Industries, and Turn 10 Studios developing original and franchise games for Xbox and PC. The result of that growth is "the most diverse collection of first-party games that we've ever had," Spencer said.
Halo Infinite:
"There's been a ton of learning in the studio around what does it mean to actually have a collection, the kind of totality of the Halo lore and stories and experience inside of one Halo world, one Halo UI, and platform," Spencer said. "As 343 has gone through this journey, they've seen some of the benefits of not requiring that our customers make a decision between 'Do I want to play this one or that one?' I feel like in a way, the games almost compete with each other. You see that with some of the annualized franchises that are out there — which clearly Halo's not annualized — but you see that where you spend a lot of energy actually trying to move the customers who are already playing your game to a new version of your game. I think as gaming has evolved, there's a view of 'Our customers are our customers and we should respect them where they are.' It's similar to our Xbox message, and I think you'll see that in terms of the way Infinite is talked about — even the structure of what the game is itself."
Diversity In Games:
What's more, those games should represent not just a diversity of ideas, but the diversity of creators and a diversity of the audience that plays games, Booty said.

"We are also always on the lookout to try to build relationships with studios that are founded and run by people that are different than what we've had in the industry for the last couple of decades," Booty said. "I'm very proud of the fact that Minecraft is run by a woman, Helen Chiang. My particular leadership team of looking across the studios has got people like Bonnie Ross. It's got Shannon Loftis, running Age of Empires. You know Ninja Theory, founded by Nina [Kristensen]. ...
"Obviously, there's more that we can do. I think you'll see some of the titles that we've got in our showcase coming up hopefully represent work that we're trying to do there to bring in different groups and really represent them with respect. And I think it's important that we do that, because that's how people will come into the industry, right? People that have maybe felt that the game industry is closed and not for them, they need to see themselves in the content, because that telegraphs that, 'Look, this is a place for you. We want your ideas. We want your voice. Come join us in making these games and not just playing them.'"
Everwild:
"I think we're definitely idea-first," Rare studio head Craig Duncan told Polygon. "We will bet and incubate and nurture the idea we think is great, and then we'll assume that all the business side of it will figure itself out as we go.
"We learned a lot from Sea of Thieves," Duncan said. "At its heart, we love the idea of Sea of Thieves [and] players creating stories together. I think with Everwild, Louise [O'Connor] and her leadership team are really passionate about giving players a world that they can just lose themselves in — you know, a lot of nature feels magical. So the notion of, 'What does it mean to nurture a world? What does it mean to be in nature?' Part of the reason we haven't talked a lot about Everwild is because we're still feeling a lot of these things out. We're still playing around with gameplay ideas. We'll have plenty to say in the future on that, but … we have an idea we feel really passionate about, and we think there's something special. I have a team of people that wake up every morning with the desire to make this game that they're really, really passionate about."
The Initiative:
...Xbox Game Studios head Matt Booty said, "I think people are going to be pretty excited when we start to talk about what's going on there."

"We've got things like Halo and Minecraft and Forza, Gears of War, Age of Empires, Flight Sim," Booty explained. "In many cases, these are franchises that are a decade or more established, which is fantastic. A big franchise like that comes with its own things that you can do. There's a lot of room within a big world to innovate on its own. But it's a separate thing when you think about how you manage that production. And then we've got some of the studios that we've acquired that came with their own culture. And when we think about — how are we going to keep ourselves from sitting still, and how are we going to kind of mix things up a little bit?
...We decided, let's try something new. We've got these big franchises. They sort of have their own way of doing something. We acquired some studios that came with their own culture. How do we start something from ground zero?"
The Game Pass Effect:
...Spencer said Game Pass was built on a plan to "give us a larger creative canvas to build on," where not every game's success is measured by how many units it sells.

"We now have a platform that can really support us taking more creative risk," Spencer said. "I think absolutely there's an opportunity for us to do that with more franchises, whether it's ... kind of spinoff genres, or even revisiting things like Flight Sim, and bringing those back. They're actually part of the same lens for us of, 'What is it in our portfolio that we have? And what ideas would we either like to go back and revisit or experiment with more?'
"Game Pass really helps us do that, because you can look at something like [Gears Tactics], and say, 'Hey, could we make a turn-based strategy game out of Gears. What does the success metric look like for that?' Your normal process [is] some business people would go off and use Excel and tell you what the average selling number is for a PC turn-based strategy game. You say, 'OK, and we want to bring that to console.' So you kind of add those two numbers up and you evaluate it. But now we can say, 'Well wait a minute, we have over 10 million subscribers in the subscription. How many of those people will play and get retained and be a part of the subscription?' It really creates a different way for us to evaluate what games we go off and build, and allows us to do some things that frankly, we wouldn't go do if we were just driven by the retail dynamics of the industry."
"I don't think we want a portfolio of any one kind of game," Spencer said. "We want a breadth of offerings in the portfolio, which is why we've been investing in such a diverse slate of games and studios over the last couple of years. And one thing I really noticed on the [July] 23rd show, as I've been sitting back and watching the narrative unfold, is it's got to be the most diverse collection of first-party games that we've ever had, when I look at art style and size — I mean from some big, big, big teams and big, bombastic overtures to smaller, more bite-sized things — and I think that's our strength."

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
EDIT 2: Removed for the sake of this thread. I keep getting quoted for an obvious mistake of not reading the title and just responding on the clickbait title. My apologies.

Continue.

Last edited:

xem

Oct 31, 2017
looking forward to their improvement. Hoping for the best Xbox teams

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The way the thread title is written makes it sound like a statement of all first parties, you left out the "we've ever had" part. Really click bait title you went for OP.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I really want that everwild and PD from the initiative.

*looks at PS4 library and then at Xbox One library*

Yeah.... I don't think so.

giphy.gif

easy, warrior.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
the most diverse collection of first-party games that we've ever had

maybe next time read the article?

I did. I just have a very, very hard time believing they have learned from their mistakes and are going to be more ''diverse'' then what they showed the past 10 years.

I would love to be proven wrong.

Oh, don't give me that shit with pointing a finger at me by ''thinking'' I am a console warrior. Check my post history if you want proof that I am definitely not one.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
People that have maybe felt that the game industry is closed and not for them, they need to see themselves in the content, because that telegraphs that, 'Look, this is a place for you. We want your ideas. We want your voice. Come join us in making these games and not just playing them.'"

As a cartoon bear with a bird in his backpack, I don't feel represented in the closed game industry anymore. I look forward to seeing my mumbling gibberish voice heard in an upcoming first-party game.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
great to see them pushing their own xbox division of gaming into something more fruitful for everyone involved. pretty happy about the push and this interview is what i like to read. Matt booty is just a great individual with putting people first when looking to build relationships. not looking for an IP first, but the people and how their teams have worked together. great stuff.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Considering the studios they've acquired, I don't doubt it. Whether the games are actually good or not remains to be seen.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
Talk about clickbait headline lol. The actual quote is ""the most diverse collection of first-party games that we've ever had,"

Key words being "we've ever had" which of-course is true. Polygon knows what its doing though with that headline those heathens.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if halo infinite is going to be a games as a service type thing where they just keep adding to it rather than developing sequels. Kind of like how bungie is doing with destiny 2.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I can't wait to see what they've got going on. With their renewed focus on pc my interests in Microsoft software is at an all time high.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is great to hear. I really like that each of the big 3 is going to cover different bases. Like Microsoft's burgeoning focus on RPGs. Obsidian, InXile, Playground's second team, 3 big budget RPGs is an absolute treat for me.

Gaming is better with diversity of both people and games. Microsoft just trying to be another Sony or Nintendo would be a bummer. They're carving their own niche.

Which is different from the thread title

Shouldn't matter if people actually read the OP and not just jump into the thread to post their take as fast as they can.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
This article/thread title shouldn't be present as a quote since that's obviously not what he said.

It also seems pretty likely that it'll actually be true soon enough, though. Microsoft being into so many different genres currently is what makes them interesting imo.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Title needs to be changed before console warriors start shitting this thread up because as usual people read the title and post without actually bothering to read the article.

As for the topic, I have no trouble believing that with the amount of talent they've acquired over the past several years.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I did. I just have a very, very hard time believing they have learned from their mistakes and are going to be more ''diverse'' then what they showed the past 10 years.

Oh, don't give me that shit with pointing a finger at me by ''thinking'' I am a console warrior. Check my post history if you want proof that I am definitely not one.

Dont need to look at your history. You got called out for a silly comment. Take the L and move on.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
"We learned a lot from Sea of Thieves," Duncan said. "At its heart, we love the idea of Sea of Thieves [and] players creating stories together. I think with Everwild, Louise [O'Connor] and her leadership team are really passionate about giving players a world that they can just lose themselves in — you know, a lot of nature feels magical. So the notion of, 'What does it mean to nurture a world? What does it mean to be in nature?' Part of the reason we haven't talked a lot about Everwild is because we're still feeling a lot of these things out. We're still playing around with gameplay ideas. We'll have plenty to say in the future on that, but … we have an idea we feel really passionate about, and we think there's something special. I have a team of people that wake up every morning with the desire to make this game that they're really, really passionate about."

Oh, I thougth this was gonna come earlier, but it seems it is still a couple years to go.

It's ok, we can wait, that looks really good.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
What a clickbait article. OBVIOUSLY it's going to be more diverse with 15 studios than with 5.

The only interesting thing is the new publishing philosophy allowed by a subscription service.

Oct 27, 2017
STOP 👏🏽 COPYING 👏🏽 SHITTY 👏🏽 TITLES 👏🏽 FROM 👏🏽 ARTICLES
You're in FULL control of your OP. If an article has a misleading or clickbaity title that doesn't jive with its contents, you're under no obligation to paste it as is. This is a discussion forum not a news aggregator.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
lol at the Polygon title.
But yeah, we can't deny or agree with his statement(we haven't saw everything that they have in hands), but if Everwild is a hint to anything, then is a good possibility that what Phil is saying is true.
Just 3 more days.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

In 2020 alone they're putting out a flight simulation game, a shooter, a metroidvania, a SRPG and a CRPG. That's pretty damn diverse.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Terrible clickbait headline.

On topic, MS have let so many IP's go to waste, it will be an abomination if they don't improve on where they have been this generation (I'm pretty sure they will fwiw).

Oct 25, 2017
OP basically ruined their own thread with that title lol, so many people aren't going to bother reading the article itself and will just focus on the title. As for the article itself: I love seeing the confidence of the Xbox team, it makes me pretty excited for the future.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
*looks at PS4 library and then at Xbox One library*

Yeah.... I don't think so.

EDIT: For the sake of the thread getting derailed far, far too much. I am not that important guys.

I have a very, very hard time believing they have learned from their mistakes and are going to be more ''diverse'' then what they showed the past 10 years.

Console warriors flying in here at the speed of light for their shitty takes.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Title makes it look like it's Polygon reporting that, but it's actually Phil saying it. Yeah, their first party investments have been clear for a couple of years now, I'm hoping to see something really interesting this week, besides Halo and Hellblade II of course.

May 17, 2018
For better or worse, I feel like it should be revised to say "Xbox will have the most diverse collection of first party games we've ever had" because all of these games will also be on XB1, no?

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Well yeah, more investment will = a more diverse library, I'm particularly excited to see what they do in the RPG front.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yes but how many third person narrative driven action adventure games with lots of foliage will it have?

It's on that scale which Microsoft's first party will be judged.. on Era :)

Seriously though more competition is great. Will be nice to have all three platform holders firing on all cylinders this time around (.. and Stadia too?)