• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lately, I've found myself debating whether or not full-on purchasing new games was actually the wisest decision in the face of a cheaper option. When Gears 5 was released, for example, my Xbox One offered two choices: I could snag the game for $59.99 ... or I could pay $9.99 for an Xbox Game Pass subscription and play it right away. I wouldn't truly own Gears 5, of course, but I thought to myself: How long would I actually be playing it, long-term? Do I need to have Gears 5 "forever"? Couldn't I just save some money now and buy it later if I really wanted it?

Paying full price for a game has always been a foolish choice, of course. Without fail, seemingly every new title gets knocked down 10-20 dollars within a couple of weeks now, if not more.

More at the link

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
Thats pretty much my reasoning. I'll play Gears 5 now for a dollar and rebuy it later for 10 if I still want to play. This only applies to xbox exclusive games though.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's funny that the market keeps driving price expectations down, yet people like Jim Sterling trot out "make games more expensive" as a magical solution to microtransactions.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Even if you ignore subscription options, Walmart straight up sells games with 60 dollar MSRPs for 50 now.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I wish games were cheaper but I don't want to encourage this type of thinking because it would basically ensure that literally every game will be GAAS garbo.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Just reminds me how much I'm gonna miss my GCU pretty soon. I already rarely buy games at $60 new. I have no issues waiting for a sale for them to come down in price.

Nintendo games are the only exception because it takes forever and a day for that to happen.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am definitely spending less than £40-50 on games as of late. The days of Evolve are long over.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Besides xbox exclusives they know the games on gamepass can change and you can't play that game anymore... I'd rather have the games I want and play whenever I want. Also some of the games are classics I want to keep.
Lastly, if all games went to subscriptions then guess what! Microtransactions would be heavily implemented to make up the cost of $60 retail

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't see a point to spending 60 on a game if you're not getting release day/week, and it's not a Nintendo title.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would rather pay one time for a game and know I always have that disc in my house than staple my credit card to some parasite of a corporation and lose access to it when I don't want to put up with it anymore or if I need to cut costs and cancel the subscription.

If I can get something on sale, awesome, but subscription models are the damn worst.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Honestly yeah, but not because of this Netflix model shit.

It's easy enough to wait a couple of months for a game's price to drop like a rock, especially when I have so much else to play.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that the market keeps driving price expectations down, yet people like Jim Sterling trot out "make games more expensive" as a magical solution to microtransactions.
Jim is in favor of making games with micro transactions free, and thinks the "if we didn't have them the game would have to be more expensive" argument is bullshit

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It doesn't? Is this somebody playing weird bootlicker corporate defense for micro transactions and gambling mechanics?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yep, but not because of Gamepass.

Every non-Nintendo game is $20 or less after a few months.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Well, this only applies to Xbox. You still need to play $60 for Sony and Nintendo games if you want to play then day1.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the "market" that did it, it's publishers. They keep putting games on deep discounts very quickly. People are still willing to pay full price for Nintendo games because they know it's going to be difficult to get those for cheaper.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
"Spending $60 on a game* doesn't make sense anymore"

Translator's note: "Game" means "specific xbox exclusive games."

yeah ok. Microsoft wants to get as many people subscribed to gamepass as possible, so is willing to take a loss on games like Gears to do so. This model will bankrupt most AAA third party games, it isn't profitable enough. You want to play Call of Duty at release, prepare to cough up $60.

That being said, it's never made sense to spend this unless you're one of the hardcore who HAS to play the game at release. Most games drop 50% or more of the $60 MSRP within a couple of months.

Ownership is a construct.

Society is "a construct." it doesn't mean that Ownership as currently defined lacks value.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Subscription services and streaming services are fine and all, but I'm not confident in corporations not taking advantage of no one owning their games anymore if they become the standard.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
The inverse of this debate is that games are devalued too quickly now and any further devaluation will result in more predatory monetization practices.

In short I am happy paying full price for games that deserve it and I don't play games that don't.

I often skip sales for games from publishers/devs I respect because of my respect for them.
Conversely I won't buy a game from EA, 2K, or Activision even if its basically free.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I would rather pay one time for a game and know I always have that disc in my house than staple my credit card to some parasite of a corporation and lose access to it when I don't want to put up with it anymore or if I need to cut costs and cancel the subscription.

If I can get something on sale, awesome, but subscription models are the damn worst.
Or you could just pay for one month and play what you want then cancel until the next game(s) interest you.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky

Yeah, same here. I really don't like subscribing to anything other than FFXIV.

Oct 31, 2017
It's all about services and recurring engagement and payment models going forward. This will and does have deep ramifications on game design. We are already seeing it in many ways.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
"Polygon: Spending 60 dollars on an XBOX game that's available on GamePass Day 1 doesn't make sense anymore".

FTFY Polygon. Seriously...

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If you're unwilling to pay, you shouldn't have demands either.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017

This

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah lets make sure devs get less money or let's increase the amount of MTX in games! The reason why $60 doesn't make sense is because it should cost more, we've been paying $60 for years now...

Sep 14, 2019
The cheap side of me agrees.

The practical side of me thinks I should just be more practical in my spending. That's what demos and reviews are for. Is the game worth $60? No? Then wait for a sale.

The developer-in-the-making side of me thinks prices are fine. Big companies should just be more practical in how they fund their games and for CEOs not to be overpaid.

Oct 27, 2017
Forget the subscription service, I just wait a few months. Most games drop their price like crazy after the first month or so.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, by that logic you probably shouldn't buy much of anything Day One because if you wait long enough,it'll invariably be cheaper.

Oct 27, 2017
Ownership is overrated. How often are you going back and replaying games you own? Maybe some select favorites, but I've been gaming for over two decades now and I don't give a fuck about owning most games, I just want to play them. I think the premise of the article undervalues games though, it's kind of a slap in the face to devs/publishers.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Just reminds me how much I'm gonna miss my GCU pretty soon. I already rarely buy games at $60 new. I have no issues waiting for a sale for them to come down in price.

Nintendo games are the only exception because it takes forever and a day for that to happen.
At least Walmart has been selling $60 games for $50 which is 17% off.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
I don't buy games on a monthly basis so I can't subscribe to a monthly basis so I can make companies more richest meantime i get poorer paying a service I don't have time to play more than one game in the entire month