• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
I've found subscription services are an quick way to "own" everything and value nothing. Actually buying a game, even at a massive discount, hugely improves my chances of eventually playing it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we can have both in the future. I rarely spend 60€ on a game, but in November I for sure will spend 60€ on Death Stranding. And I don't see these kinds of games survive with pure subscription services. The subscriber number must be massive to sustain single-player AAA games without MTX.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Just because one doesn't go back and replay MOST of their games doesn't mean they should sacrifice the ability to go back and replay ALL of them.
The only game I would play today from the PS1 era might be Tekken 3. The games I would play from the PS2 era are Tekken 5, WRC and GT4. The games I might go back to from the original Xbox are Rallisport Challenge, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Ninja Gaiden 2. The game from the PS3 era is The Last of Us.

Game ownership made a lot of sense because the tech was not there. Going forward though, we will see more and more companies embrace subscription models just because they make a lot more sense if the volumes are there. And these companies will try and generate volume by simply making their offerings available on other platforms, the first being PC.
It is not a matter of if, but when.

Feb 24, 2018
I'm one of those people who do like owning the games I love, while not opposed to streaming, I would also like an option to own those games as well in case anything happened like a licence ran out, something like PT, a patch that screws up the game or they try to do something like what Bethesda did with the Doom games on 360.

That being said, it's harder and harder to justify full price games here (reminder that the "Games never raised their prices" isn't true worldwide as games in the UK Have risen from £39.99 to £49.99-£54.99 in the past decade) when so many of them aren't of value at release, with most of the content coming later with only crappy pre-order bonuses or "event exclusives" (rolls eyes) to attempt to lure people.

WB games are the worst for this as their like clock work and why buy a WB game at launch when it's cheaper and more content rich when I buy the GOTY a year later?

Edit: Ownership laws really need to be updated for digital goods, even if you don't care about owning your games, laws as they are can be very exploitative and consumer rights are important for all purchases besides games. We shouldn't give up our rights just for convenience.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I am annoyed that Game Pass is not available in my country. It's nice that you can get all those benefits of services and subscriptions, but until they are truly globally available, stop saying the "old ways" are stupid.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
If a game like god of war would cost only 40 day one it would even sell more obiously. 60 is just an established price they don't undercut because people are used to it and still pay the price. With your logic you would even pay 200 for the game if they charge you what would decrease the audiance and possibility of a sequel even more.

Imagine not everybody has enough money to throw it just away and I assume those people are in the majority otherwise the week one numbers would be much higher.
Take Gears 5 as an example. A not so easy approachable game for the mainstream audience. If it wouldn't be day one in game pass I am sure not even 2 million would have played it in its first week due to the high price tag of around 60 dollar euros pounds or what ever.

Making a game accessable for as many players as possible due to a low entry fee is a good thing in any case otherwise a developer wouldn't even make use of this idea if they would be existence threatening.

Problem is is that whilst there are more people playing games it hasn't resulted in a general growth for individual titles, most games have a natural ceiling they hit before plateauing out.

We already live in an age where a majority of third party games in particular have massive discounts but niche titles still sell 3m, good third party titles 3-6 million and the odd game that does super well and reaches 10-15million. Nothing as really changed in that regard. But budgets and time have changed and that does result in new problems for publishers to overcome.

For the publishers there is probably a big difference in the cut they take between a £50 game and a £30 game and i don't know if the numbers are there to make up that shortfall.

There probably is room to experiment but, whilst some publishers have abused their position with monetisation it is a fine margin between success and failure.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My local public library let you rent an handful of all these games for free during 28 days.

040-A3-A50-C15-B-46-AA-9039-B27721-D4298-E.jpg

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I've found subscription services are an quick way to "own" everything and value nothing. Actually buying a game, even at a massive discount, hugely improves my chances of eventually playing it.
I do find I've become a bit of a tourist. The amount of games I play has increased, but my time spent per game has decreased. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing but I'm certainly seeing less of the later levels of games.