• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.polygon.com

The fallout of Spider-Man’s recasting on PS5 has been swift and ugly

Fans will miss Spidey’s old face model

More in the link

Over on Jordan's announcement post on Instagram, the top and most visible comment currently reads, "I'm sorry but you're definitely not my PS4 Spider-Man." That thread has devolved into over 100 replies, all folks either arguing for or against Jordan's appearance in the game. If you look at Insomniac's replies on Twitter, many of the studio's recent ones are attempts to explain and defend the change to fans who are confused or upset.

Meanwhile, the official trailer on the PlayStation YouTube channel detailing the tweaks for Spider-Man Remastered has racked up more than twice as many downvotes as upvotes, as of this writing. The top comment says, "I really hope there's an option to switch back to the default face."

Screen_Shot_2020_10_01_at_9.33.00_AM.png

On Twitter, there's currently a hashtag with a viral post that reads #BringBackBubniak.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I hate this whole situation. I understand not liking that they changed the model, but I don't know why you would care THIS much. I would argue the voice actor is more important, since you hear him whether you're Peter or Spider-Man.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a logical explanation for the bones thing? Like is there really a technical issue?

Oct 25, 2017
And I'm done. I can't with this. If this is where people are choosing to put their energy........ I just... I give up.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
99.9% of people don't care, or will get over it after playing for 15 minutes. This is definitely a "don't feed the trolls" situation.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
People ragged on Marvel's Avengers for being 'discount MCU" but this here is peak discount MCU. Much prefer the older design but it is what it is if they had to change it over technical problems.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
"I'm sorry but you're definitely not my PS4 Spider-Man."

Imagine caring enough to go to a human being actor's post and typing this

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
I really don't get the hate behind it, I'm a fan of the new face and it's weird that they changed it but it really doesn't seem like this big of a deal to me. But this is also the same game with the puddle drama so.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who never played Spiderman on the PS4, seeing the face model comparison with no prior context I can say the remaster face looks better.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This article is a day late the new outrage is the Steve Minecraft addition lmao

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I really do think the new model looks better, but I understand that changing a character model people had grown accustomed to can be a little offputting.

Personally, I never liked the original model enough that this bothers me, since I prefer the new one.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
Is there a logical explanation for the bones thing? Like is there really a technical issue?
Facial capture, and motion capture in general works best when it's the voice actor doing it. The new model is a lot closer in appearance to the voice actor, so theoretically it'll look more natural?

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the new look is less fitting of the voice performance and doesn't appear to emote as well in the one scene they've shown us, but in no world should anyone harass the new face model, that's awful.

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
Bloody hell, this is just another harass the based actor/actress thing, just like the recent TLOU2 harassment. Poor guy best get off social for a week or two.

Oct 27, 2017
People like complaining, and social platforms allow them to express their endless complaining and outrage about everything. I tend to filter out the noise on these type of things, the response is always so predictable from the usual crowds on places like YouTube and Twitter.

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Are they retroactively editing the original version for people who inexplicably prefer OG Pete? If not, there's the easiest solution in the world to this...

Gamers. Don't your legs get tired?

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I really hope they don't go back on anything. It's clear the facial performance is a lot better and everybody will forget about this when the next thing for gamers to get upset about happens. Which was only two hours ago.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
This is the hill they chose to die on. A fucking face swap. Not harassment accusations, not bigotry, not crunching. A face swap.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, they'll all be back for Spider-Man 2. None of this matters.

rajinus

Banned
Sep 2, 2020
Fallout? This is a tempest in a teapot. Will be utterly irrelevant in the real world. Just like 95% of internet outrages when it comes to anything video game related.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even understand the explanation — "We had to recast so the face matched the capture model". Okay, so why didn't you cast a proper match in the first place? Why didn't you have the original actor do the mocap?

Will the new guy be in Miles Morales and Spider-Man 2?

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
Who even still cares about thi? His face is covered for 90% of the game and the new face is fine regardless