• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Right now, I think GTS is one of the best examples of GAAS games can work for the benefit of the players. The game has pretty much doubled the content there was at launch, and while PD could use a bit more of transparency, the fact that for almost 2 years now they've supported the game monthly with new tracks, cars, events, scapes and more is incredibly impressive and surprising even, considering how established paid DLC is in racing games.

And the most impressive thing is that even delivering the content for free, their standard of quality hasn't lowered one bit. No PS2 ports (nor PS3, for that matter), no black void cars, it's really great. Their objective was to end with at least 400 cars, so the game likely still has quite a bit of support ahead, but man if this support carries over to Gran Turismo 7 it's going to be one of the best games ever made.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah. The constant stream of content helps keep the game fresh. PD is doing a great job.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
They get tons of praise. I hate how cars are too fucking expensive for my liking. I really hate that a few of the cars I want are 20m and I don't play this game enough. Love the circuits, but this game was half-assed as fuck at launch.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
What is with Era and praising developers who launched incomplete games and after months and years reaching somewhat complete product? I understand praising Ubisoft for supporting AC Odyssey for example or Ghost Recon Wildlands. But cases like this or Anthem or even Battlefield V are not worth praising in my opinion.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
without the updates, the game probably would have been forgotten about already It was very lacking at launch. So yeah, great updates but I disagree about it being GAAS done right. It should've launched with more tracks and the GT league sp mode.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
Doubling the content since launch doesn't mean much when there was barely anything there at launch.

What is with Era and praising developers who launched incomplete games and after months and years reaching somewhat complete product? I understand praising Ubisoft for supporting AC Odyssey for example or Ghost Recon Wildlands. But cases like this or Anthem or even Battlefield V are not worth praising in my opinion.

Ubisoft really trumps everyone else when it comes to releasing games jammed full of content and providing even more content for years

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You got a point.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe

I agree with this. GTS was released in a shockingly bare state. The very least PD could do was get the game in a state that approaches the money many of us paid. As it stands now the number of cars and tracks is still behind some similar games.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Precisely. People forget just how barebones GT Sport was at launch, the fact they even charged full price for it is something else. If anything the game now is where the game should have been at launch or at worst, a few months after.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Post launch support? The base game was basically early access, it had absolutely no content for full price, what they've been adding in the last 2 years is the absolute minimum I'd expect to make a halfway acceptable retail product.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The state the game is in now certainly seems much better than what it was when it was released. Now if they would just add a useful offline mode, I'd be in.

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
GT Sport was half backed at launch (euphemism).
Nowhere near the greatness of a full GT title.

And still today it's far away from the quality and quantity standard of, for example, GT6.

I really hope the next GT will be GT7 and not "Sport 2".

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, they add monthly cars that you have to buy in-game, either through earned currency or through real money mtx (that they've also added since launch).

It's fair to say that the 'free' content updates are probably making them a good amount of money.

Nov 4, 2017
The game definitely was bare bones, but they have done a No Man's Sky level turn around on it. I think it deserves some recognition when in comparison MS dropped the half baked Forza 5, then just replaced it 2 years later with a new full priced game. Have they even fixed the shitstorm that is online racing in Forza 7?

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
The game definitely was bare bones, but they have done a No Man's Sky level turn around on it. I think it deserves some recognition when in comparison MS dropped the half baked Forza 5, then just replaced it 2 years later with a new full priced game. Have they even fixed the shitstorm that is online racing in Forza 7?
But this is a thread about content. Base Forza 5 and 7 still has more content than gt sport in 2019.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ehh, as someone who put well over a thousand hours into Gran Turismo 5 due to the insane content it had and car selection, I can't really give credit to Polyphony Digital for bringing the game to the bare standard of what the series is known for and even then it is heavily lacking.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice that they're supporting the game.... but it's because they had no other choice and they're in what I believe to be a steady damage control mode.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It's good they have supported the game, but at launch it was sorely behind other games in the series. From what I heard it doesn't even have dynamic day/night time when GT6 on the PS3 pulled it off.

PD have done what they needed to do to restore trust, but for GT7 they need to learn from past games and what other developers are doing if they want the series to go back to being number 1. For starters, they need a classic campaign.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, they certainly do!
I read Kaz said something about how PD pioneered GaaS with their support of GT5 and 6... Hell no Kaz. This isn't what the west calls GaaS, where it's lootboxe and micro transactions galore. This is the gift that keeps on giving!
Fact is, the big review sites should revisit this game and re-review it, people need to know the game has grown immensely since launch... and all for free!
PD deserves alot of credit for what tbeir doing.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to neglect the lack of content of the vanilla version, but the hard cut was needed for the series. I'm also full for developers cutting their desire to fill their games with content. All it does is mostly stretching the game with boredom.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They indeed deserve a lot praise, about to hit 2 years with constant updates for free.

Eh, they add monthly cars that you have to buy in-game, either through earned currency or through real money mtx (that they've also added since launch).

It's fair to say that the 'free' content updates are probably making them a good amount of money.
They are free content, no need to write it like that and downplay it.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Looks like people are still pinning very hard for CaRPG.

It was a great driving experience with tracks, just wish they supported VR a bit more.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I enjoy the post launch content, all they have been doing was putting in the features that should have been there at launch. I bought this game for $60 at launch and I still feel like it has a ways to go for it to match the value I paid.

CassiusClay99

Oct 28, 2017
Half-baked game from the start...they are just finishing it... I can't believe poeple praise that.

The game was released almost 2 years and still no rain btw (supposed to arrive in the next update)...

AND thay added microtransactions.

Why anyone would praise PD for this is beyond me.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Half-baked game from the start...they are just finishing it... I can't believe poeple praise that.

The game was released almost 2 years and still no rain btw (supposed to arrive in the next update)...

People praise no man sky for its turn over.

Gt sport is the same

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think GT Sport was barren at launch at all. I played it obsessively at launch and had the best times with the game in the online Sport races. The post launch support has been above and beyond but I don't support shitting on the launch version at all.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
People praise no man sky for its turn over.

Gt sport is the same

I think there's fair criticism of GTS that isn't applicable to NMS though to be fair. NMS didn't just add 'more', it restructured the game. How the game plays and is structured is completely different now to how it was at launch. It drastically altered the campaign and how you move through it as well as expanding the activities in the game and adding huge new features post launch like creative modes, online multiplayer, land vehicles, mounting creatures etc.

GTS has added more stuff. More cars and more tracks and more tournaments (and tuned physics and stuff obviously). But it's essentially still the same game as at launch. I think it's a mistake to assume that the poor impressions at launch were solely down to the lack of content. For a lot of people it disappointed in other ways. Structurally, progression wise etc. How it prioritised online racing over a traditional GT campaign. If you didn't like the style of game that GTS was at launch (compared to traditional GT games or other similar simcade racers) then you're probably still not going to get much out of it. They should absolutely be commended for the amount of 'stuff' they've added to the game. But they 100% haven't done a No Man's Sky.

nismopower

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think GT Sport was barren at launch at all. I played it obsessively at launch and had the best times with the game in the online Sport races. The post launch support has been above and beyond but I don't support shitting on the launch version at all.
lNUh0uV.gif

Its my gotg easily. And the post launch support is unrivaled.
Playing since the beta and play it almost every day.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely OP, and I hope it continues the Sports trend with GT7 in a big way. I can not go back to shitting on dumb AI with OP cars anymore.

Black Duke

Dec 2, 2017
Astonishing post-launch support, and one of the best racing games of the past few years.
Can't wait for GT7.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can only buy cars that cost less than 2 million credits through microtransactions. And those are the ones you'd actually have trouble getting since you can easily grind out 2 million credits ingame in around an hour.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, the game launched in a pretty abysmal state. My view is that the content they're releasing is to be expected based on how little content it had at launch. It still has a lack of tracks for example, and the singleplayer is still subpar to previous releases.

I'm still disappointed that they changed a singleplayer-focused franchise and turned into a MP focused one. Really hope they go back to their roots.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
You can only buy cars that cost less than 2 million credits through microtransactions. And those are the ones you'd actually have trouble getting since you can easily grind out 2 million credits ingame in around an hour.

Nope, they adjusted that cap earlier this year. They'll now sell you cars up to 10 million credits (for about $15 a piece).

CassiusClay99

Oct 28, 2017
I think there's fair criticism of GTS that isn't applicable to NMS though to be fair. NMS didn't just add 'more', it restructured the game. How the game plays and is structured is completely different now to how it was at launch. It drastically altered the campaign and how you move through it as well as expanding the activities in the game and adding huge new features post launch like creative modes, online multiplayer, land vehicles, mounting creatures etc.

GTS has added more stuff. More cars and more tracks and more tournaments (and tuned physics and stuff obviously). But it's essentially still the same game as at launch. I think it's a mistake to assume that the poor impressions at launch were solely down to the lack of content. For a lot of people it disappointed in other ways. Structurally, progression wise etc. How it prioritised online racing over a traditional GT campaign. If you didn't like the style of game that GTS was at launch (compared to traditional GT games or other similar simcade racers) then you're probably still not going to get much out of it. They should absolutely be commended for the amount of 'stuff' they've added to the game. But they 100% haven't done a No Man's Sky.

Indeed.

NMS updates were game changers...
GTS's were just adding stuff that should have been there from the start. GTS release was postponed for a year IIRC.. and the content/game structure/features were (and still are) soooo light.

To me, GTS production was a total mess...

And PD is probably the only big dev that won't even release a roadmap. How sick is this?

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
As others have said, the game launched in a pretty abysmal state. My view is that the content they're releasing is to be expected based on how little content it had at launch. It still has a lack of tracks for example, and the singleplayer is still subpar to previous releases.

I'm still disappointed that they changed a singleplayer-focused franchise and turned into a MP focused one. Really hope they go back to their roots.

Couldn't agree more. It's a shame and I hope that they come back full force on PS5.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017

GTSport launched with the best online component of a racing game this gen and it's not even close, and it's why it's the best racing game I've played this gen. Yes of course there weren't as many cars/tracks which is a valid complaint but I don't really understand the half-baked comments beyond that since they were going in a completely new direction, more online orientated, they didn't want to do the same old formula of past GTs with the rpg grind of buying/selling cars and going through a long single player campaign of running same races against A.I. over and over. I do expect the next GT to have more campaign stuff but with Sport it was about the online component, and like I said, it's brilliant and it was the same at launch.
Since then every months there's been updates with cars and tracks added and that still continues and all free which is why this thread was made, post launch support has been pretty good.
MTX update isn't even a big deal with Sport also, there's an option to hide them completely so you never see them, and you can't even buy the really expensive cars using them, and the in-game economy hasn't changed at all so it still takes like 30mins to an hour depending on the car to get enough money to buy what you want, it's really a time saver of like an hour or so.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
without the updates, the game probably would have been forgotten about already It was very lacking at launch. So yeah, great updates but I disagree about it being GAAS done right. It should've launched with more tracks and the GT league sp mode.
Nailed it. Credit where credit is due, but not when post-launch support like this doesn't erase all memories of a bare-bones launch.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I was only looking over my PS4 collection today and remembering all the great times. Then I got sad when I realised there wasn't a GT7 among those.

GT Sport is fine.