• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
The game definitely was bare bones, but they have done a No Man's Sky level turn around on it. I think it deserves some recognition when in comparison MS dropped the half baked Forza 5, then just replaced it 2 years later with a new full priced game. Have they even fixed the shitstorm that is online racing in Forza 7?

There is no comparison. FM5 still had more features than GTS. FM7 is a fine game.

Also, why you still talking about FM5....?

DP ain't getting no praise from me. Sorry

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I feel like some people just don't get how much of a bitch it was transitioning from PS3 to PS4 for some devs. PD obviously had some issues and it took them some time. They will come out firing no doubt about it on PS5. Probably launch game I would assume. They pretty much have everything in place, and the only major thing missing is a great single player mode. They have had plenty of time for that. With the tracks where they are now, all they have to do is a lot of graphical details and what not and bam GT7 will be there for people. It's not going to be like it was before guys. PS4 to PS5 is essentially the same kind of thing.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I've (foolishly) been made to believe PD was adding content to this game out of the goodness of their hearts. Didn't know it was all microtransactions. At least the circuits seem to be actually free.

It ain't really that praiseworthy.
All circuits are free for everyone, but you gotta spend in-game money for the cars yeah (tbf, every car needs to be bought or obtained by the daily free car). Usually the ones they put on updates are very cheap, but they've added a couple of 20mil cars, those can't be bought with mtx.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want another one on this console. PD works like a sloth. They need to 1000% concentrate on delivering a premium ass product for PS5.

I've wondered whether they were going to do some kind of cross-gen release, leveraging the PS4 BC but still having a GT title at launch. Given they've never had one (GT HD Concept not withstanding), might not be realistic but they've always had two GTs per gen, so the timing would line up.

I hope they're using GTS as a content creation platform for GT7 though... if they are going to create all new car models next gen, we literally won't see it until 5 or 6 years in.

With the tracks where they are now, all they have to do is a lot of graphical details and what not and bam GT7 will be there for people.

I hope you're right, but PD has literally never given anyone any reason to think they could pull that off.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The negativity around PD's amazing post-launch support is very disappointing to see.

"They said there wouldn't be MTX!" - Maybe the scale and duration of the post-launch support exceeded their initial plans, and it's only shortcuts for sale, no big deal. What's the total so far, something like 14 dlc tracks and 134 dlc cars, all for free? What do people expect for free these days? Seriously.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
"The game launched with less content than earlier GT's!" - And it launched at a cheaper price because of it.

It didn't? It was $60 at launch. It dropped fast but it was a full price game at launch.

It launched with three versions. Standard, limited and deluxe. $60, $70 and $80.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The negativity around PD's amazing post-launch support is very disappointing to see.

"The game launched with less content than earlier GT's!" - And it launched at a cheaper price because of it.

"They said there wouldn't be MTX!" - Maybe the scale and duration of the post-launch support exceeded their initial plans, and it's only shortcuts for sale, no big deal. What's the total so far, something like 14 dlc tracks and 134 dlc cars, all for free? What do people expect for free these days? Seriously.
The game launched at $60

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
But are you sure about that?
I remember it was a full priced videogame. Internet remember the same.
The fact that you could buy GT Sport for just 20 Dollars after a couple of months is another story...

The problem wasn't just the lack of cars or tracks.
Important feature were missing, feature that we already had in others GTs titles.
And they are still missing.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
My mistake, I saw a post in this topic saying it launched at $40, and didn't see the corrections after that. I ended up getting it for $20.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, past GT games were trash with cars and handling on a lot of them. This game is so far above those shitty handling models it's not even funny. There is barely anything I would take from those past games. GT3 is the last one I truly enjoyed. GT5 was pretty cool for a bit, but got boring very fast.

Not saying this game is perfect, and yes parts of it do suck for some people, but dear lord the improvements are so vast.
Yeah Sports feels like a proper generational leap over previous games. Until that point it was all about piling up car and track count, add more and more useless events, half-ass your way through features like day-night cycle and weather, fuck up a 60fps lock, and take the XP/credit grind to ridiculous levels like a JRPG. All the while the handling, tyre model, sound design, AI, mission structure, online etc was stuck in PS1/PS2 era.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
GTS in its current form could have come out as GT7 and I would more or less be fine with it. I'm not really asking for much though, it has been since the PS2 days that they made one that really clicked for me.

The things that GT doesn't do or never did I have just come to terms with never happening.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Its my favorite Gran Turismo by now. I never had so many cars in my garage in a racing game, and most i got them from the daily thing i forgot the name :P Still have a shitload of ingame credits to spend on the more exotic cars that i still didnt got.

Farming credits is also pretty easy with the single player races they added. Google if you need to farm credits to learn the best track and cars to use for great amount of credits in a short period of time. (Enough to buy a Ferrari after beating one 10-15 minute race)

The post launch support is incredible, aside from the cars and tracks they keep adding, they also keep addding more and more races to the single player mode.

Even with much less content than previous GTs they are building a great foundation for the next GT. And GT Sport is by far the best online racing game i ever played.

And all these montly updates for free. Only other game that i can think of with an identical amazing post launch support completly free is No Man Sky. My problem with NMS right now its that they struggle with legacy saves, so everytime they introduced a new big update , it also brake alot of stuff in my game to the point it changed my old ship design and other annoying bugs.

So yeah, they deserve all the praise they can get for all this free content post launch.

Last edited:

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
What is with Era and praising developers who launched incomplete games and after months and years reaching somewhat complete product? I understand praising Ubisoft for supporting AC Odyssey for example or Ghost Recon Wildlands. But cases like this or Anthem or even Battlefield V are not worth praising in my opinion.

Gran Turismo Sport was never an incomplete game.

CassiusClay99

Oct 28, 2017
Gran Turismo Sport was never an incomplete game.

Almost 2 years later, we are still waiting for the rain. (probably tuesday though). So how can you deny the game was released incomplete?

Just like GT6 was incomplete until we got the track editor. Promised features should be in day 1, or the game will factually be incomplete.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Almost 2 years later, we are still waiting for the rain. (probably tuesday though). So how can you deny the game was released incomplete?

Just like GT6 was incomplete until we got the track editor. Promised features should be in day 1, or the game will factually be incomplete.

Did they promise rain pre-release?

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Rain was not promissed. Game lacked single player content at launch but that was that. They told this game would not have dynamic weather or rain from the beginning.

Jan 17, 2019

SunhiLegend
The state of GTS online at release was a terrible mess from my experience: the penaltys were a catastrophe, people cutting corners averywhere, lag,... bugs... I really can't agree with you.

Got much much better...but the way online is designed is still very flawed if you ask me... having to wait forever to start a race (I get some people love that... but this is some elitist shit to me "well... it forces you to be involved... serious business... blablabla" or, it's because the player base is too low to offertoo many options: both explanations are weak imo) , not being able to chose your track/car for a whole week, lobbies that lack so many features they are useless if you want to improvise a race ... and the most shocking of all being the lack of "INVITE FRIEND" feature. If I m not mistaken, you still can't invite a friend in your lobby...in 2019, in a AAA online focused game... this is ridiculous.

So yes: GTS has great highs...but way too many lows to be praised imo.

The state of online at launch was great. Matchmaking was fast and without problems either in US region or EU region. I tried at first US region even i'm from EU region. EU region is absolutely much tougher competition. Penalty system is always "work in progress". Sometimes it works fine, sometimes don't, but in majority of time, it works. Btw. there is a huuuge difference between A,S rank and B, C, D. You can't expect the same sportmanship. When you reach A rank, you'll experience better sportmanship - much, much less to no cutting corners and so on. Btw. Penalty for cutting cornes always is working, since launch. I prefer much more races to last one week than 1 day before. I don't have so much time to chase the best time and then drive.....in 1 day.

You have other option to INVITE FRIEND. Create a lobby, send a PM to a friend. It will take you the same time like a dedicated "invite a friend" option. Really! I tried the same in Driveclub. About lack of options in lobby...i really don't know what the hell you talking about. Lobby has bunch of options. Make a rules on your own, after race you can vote which track is next, especially Qualifiers is now added

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
LOL what, are we talking about GT5 or Sport?
Smh, people in here arguing in bad faith and changing topics consistently.
There's no bad faith. I mean why bring up another franchise at all and even then one form many years ago? That's one deep rabbit hole for any other franchise in regards to content compared to Gran Turismo through the years.

History shows Gran Turismo always had a large amount of content per-title. Gran Turismo Sport is the first not to be at the threshold of a tonne of content yet still Kaz and his team soldier on to provide content for nothing. Free.

Somehow that's not regarded as a meaningful endeavour by Polyphony Digital.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think GT Sport was barren at launch at all. I played it obsessively at launch and had the best times with the game in the online Sport races. The post launch support has been above and beyond but I don't support shitting on the launch version at all.
You say that but people gave reasons why they think the game lacked content and all you bring is "no". I mean, you can still find fun in what's in a package but GTS lacked in single player part and anyone disagreeing with that can of course do so but that's more arguing with an opinion than with facts.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I find it ironic that pd turned out to be so good at getting the update content out. I was expecting much worse. But here we are and they are doing at least as well as anyone else does it.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you compare everything to other games then you could call a lot of games "incomplete" just because they aren't as big as the biggest ones which just doesn't make sense.
It had less content than almost every other racing game on the market and of course it gets compared - games get constantly compared to other games, why not?
GTS still doesn't have rain officially (but I heard soon), something that got cut off from its direct predecessors. Shall we not mention that?

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It had less content than almost every other racing game on the market and of course it gets compared - games get constantly compared to other games, why not?
GTS still doesn't have rain officially (but I heard soon), something that got cut off from its direct predecessors. Shall we not mention that?
Super Mario World didn't have the Tanooki suit while SMB3 had it, was it an incomplete game then?

Gran Turismo Sport is light-years away from the PS3 games in pretty much every way. Yes, those games have insane car counts, and yes they had dynamic weather but on the actual races you'd see PS2 models because the car list was bloated with ports from previous games. Every single car in GT Sport has a completely new model, which meant cutting down some of the fat in favor of more quality.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
The main confusion with GT Sport is that it didn't launch with a GT Mode which for many meant no single player. What's also true is, even at a fraction the size of GT6, there was plenty of single player content.

I think it's fair to not be impressed considering the behemoths GT5/6, but Sport has a skewed reputation when it comes to single player.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Pretty sure again it had to do with their engine needing a lot of rewrites and them just being a slower team. I expect PS5 version to be very smooth sailing. It sucks it took this long, but like I said we have a great foundation now. I like Forza a lot, and a couple others too, but GT has the best racing to me anyway and the best cars/tracks.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
The main confusion with GT Sport is that it didn't launch with a GT Mode which for many meant no single player. What's also true is, even at a fraction the size of GT6, there was plenty of single player content.

What's also true is that the vast majority of that content consisted of simple challanges, with just a few full track races. In other words, the kind of content that would be a mere side distraction in a game with a more fleshed out single player campaign, including past Gran Turismos, but here it was either that or nothing (again, in terms of single player).

So no, I wouldn't say that the game's reputation is particularly skewed.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
What's also true is that the vast majority of that content consisted of simple challanges, with just a few full track races. In other words, the kind of content that would be a mere side distraction in a game with a more fleshed out single player campaign, including past Gran Turismos, but here it was either that or nothing (again, in terms of single player).

So no, I wouldn't say that the game's reputation is particularly skewed.

That's true, though Sport had a rep of little to no single player, that is what is confusing people even today.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Super Mario World didn't have the Tanooki suit while SMB3 had it, was it an incomplete game then?

Gran Turismo Sport is light-years away from the PS3 games in pretty much every way. Yes, those games have insane car counts, and yes they had dynamic weather but on the actual races you'd see PS2 models because the car list was bloated with ports from previous games. Every single car in GT Sport has a completely new model, which meant cutting down some of the fat in favor of more quality.
It's light years away because it's quite a different game. The new focus was perhaps clear to people on forums but casual people bought/buy GT because of the name and customer reviews showed that many people didn't expect such a GT game because the single player content was not only lacking but also different to what it was before and it still is, after all these updates. It's fine to say that the change is welcome and it's also fine to say it was needed (personally) but GT was the biggest franchise for PlayStation since PS1 and people expected something different after 6 iterations and two decades.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Lmao as far as car count and tracks it still had more than PC sims. The only game series it had less than was Forza. Even more than arcade racers such as The Crew.

GT3 had the least amount of content of any GT barring the original.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Rain was not a promised feature, and lack of rain does not render Gran Turismo Sport "incomplete".

There are plenty of launch reviews out for GTS. It was critcised for it's relative lack of content (cars, tracks) compared to previous games in the series but it shipped as a fully-featured game on day one.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
One could say they supported it too much.

I hope they're making the next GT behind the scenes.