• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Link: http://www.polyphony.co.jp/products/

What it has:

With sell-through sales totaling 80.4 million units worldwide*, Gran Turismo has become an international sensation, with strong followings in Europe and North America in particular. It burst onto the video game scene in 1997, steadily evolving alongside the PlayStation® console, and continues to promote the enjoyment of driving to people of all ages all over the world.
*as of May 5, 2018

This is what it had before they updated the page:

http://web.archive.org/web/20180226220432/http://www.polyphony.co.jp/products/

With sales totaling 77.02 million copies worldwide*, Gran Tursimo has become an international sensation, with strong followings in Europe and North America in particular. It burst onto the video game scene in 1997, steadily evolving alongside the PlayStation® console, and continues to promote the enjoyment of driving to people of all ages all over the world.
*as of September 2017
+ Sales figures by game and region as posted in a few posts below here.

Edit:

Sony posts PR about GT franchise sales without giving any sales figures for GTS.

Now polyphony suddenly updates and removes their sales data for each title and regional sales.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still seeing the usual page personally ? That's strange. I'm going to save those numbers though, just in case

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/products/

ZPAA1By.jpg

dieter

Oct 27, 2017
It still seems to show it for me.

-edit: OP cleared things up, makes more sense now.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I can't see the number from the sites. Did you press anything different?

Nope but I just refreshed the page and it's gone for me too. I've saved all the data though ^_^

It was good while it lasted I guess, but those kind of transparent data were kinda unusual for Sony. You could never find the same thing for Uncharted or God of War, and I guess they wanted to take back the control of the data.

No need to expect any update about GT Sport exact sales now I guess.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Umm. for those still seeing it. Are you guys sure you are checking the sites or you checking the archive sites?

Nope but I just refreshed the page and it's gone for me too. I've saved all the data though ^_^

It was good while it lasted I guess, but those kind of transparent data were kinda unusual for Sony. You could never find the same thing for Uncharted or God of War, and I guess they wanted to take back the control of the data.

No need to expect any update about GT Sport exact sales now I guess.

Ahh i think, what happen on your browser there is you have visited it before so it shows you the offline page first then they updated with the current states of the sites which is why it is gone.

Losing the data is lame though. Guess they don't want GTS number to be shown at all.

Oct 27, 2017
GT Sport is at the very least above 3 million, maybe 4.

1) GT franchise wat 77 million shipped in september 2017 (so maybe 76 million sold ?)
2) Then is was 80,4 million sold in may 2018

That doesn't tell us the exact figure but we have an idea.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Wow, that's pretty shitty.
I guess that they'll do like the Vita sales now, just combine it with other products in some big number so nobody knows how badly or how well something sold...

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
GT Sport is at the very least above 3 million, maybe 4.

1) GT franchise wat 77 million shipped in september 2017 (so maybe 76 million sold ?)
2) Then is was 80,4 million sold in may 2018

That doesn't tell us the exact figure but we have an idea.

Thats counting if other title like GT6 literally sold zero copies though?

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I guess that they'll do like the Vita sales now, just combine it with other products in some big number so nobody knows how badly or how well something sold...

Maybe they're pulling a Microsoft. Straight out of the MS playbook.

GTS is an awesome game though.

Oct 27, 2017
Thats counting if other title like GT6 literally sold zero copies though?

Maybe not zero, but how much copies do you think GT6 (launched on PS3 in december 2013) possibly sold between september 2017 and may 2018 ? I give it 200K at the very best and I'm being really generous just for you.

All the others titles before GT6 totally stopped moving if it wasn't obvious enough, I remember that pretty well since I visited the Polyphony stats regularly.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Maybe not zero, but how much copies do you think GT6 (launched on PS3 in december 2013) possibly sold between september 2017 and may 2018 ? I give it 200K at the very best and I'm being really generous just for you.

All the others titles before GT6 totally stopped moving if it wasn't obvious enough, I remember that pretty well since I visited the Polyphony stats regularly.

even less:

SEP 30, 2016
Gran Turismo 6 – 5,060,000

SEP 30, 2017
Gran Turismo 6 – 5,220,000

and GT5 + GT PSP sales were already dead at that time.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I did a quick reseach too and found how much copies of GT6 were shipped between march 31 2016 and june 30 2016.

GT6 was 4,960,000 million at 31 march 2016, then 5,010,000 3 months later. And that was in 2016.

So yeah forget about that 200K. When the GT franchise moves from 77 million to 80,4 million, it's because of GT Sport and nothing else.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
3.3 millions for GTS is prety anemic. The game seriously underperformed outside of Europe (and It could be argued that it also underperformed there).

Low GT6 sales were blamed on the system (PS3), what are we going to use for GTS (which is at about 60% of GT6 sales with numerous timed/permanent price drops)

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
But they don't have to show anybody how much it sold in the first place. So how is that shitty? Don't think any dev owes to gamers to show their sales data.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Public releases on data like this are a courtesy from the publisher, but losing access would be a bummer for data-heads if this is an actual change (and not just shuffling stuff around on their site).

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gran Turismo was once a prestigious series and the biggest IP Sony had.

...now it's getting outsold by GoW in a matter of days. I'd also try to sweep those numbers under the rug.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Because they did it before, both for investors and non-investors. Now they do it for neither.
Only for investors it's shitty. They are either just not going to show anymore or they're updating the page with sales according to regions as the change has been made in the last hour. Let's see.

Wouldn't be surprised if they hid it from now tho.

SnowFlakeCake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could it now possibly, finally, be the time Yamauchi does not just get to do what the fuck he wants anymore? He's no longer the crown jewel for Sony, other studios have far eclipsed PD from the first party portfolio.

He's run the franchise to the ground, needs to fuck off and have someone with common sense take charge.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Only for investors it's shitty. They are either just not going to show anymore or they're updating the page with sales according to regions as the change has been made in the last hour. Let's see.

Wouldn't be surprised if they hid it from now tho.
They won't show it at all anymore.
You don't update a website then again some days later because you notice you forgot a big part of the previous layout.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Could it now possibly, finally, be the time Yamauchi does not just get to do what the fuck he wants anymore? He's no longer the crown jewel for Sony, other studios have far eclipsed PD from the first party portfolio.

He's run the franchise to the ground, needs to fuck off and have someone with common sense take charge.
GT Sport is by far the best, most polished, Gran Turismo do date. From physics, to car models, sound and game structure, it makes even GT6 look archaic.

There's little doubt online racing is the way forward for the entire sim genre. Despite scepticism (including from myself), Sport is the most addictive racing I've experienced. To the point I've well over 50% of the traditional single-player campaign still to do.

GT Sport continues to be the biggest sim by a considerable margin, and will clear 5m by the end of the gen. Once GT Sport's full DLC roster is complete, that will basically be whatever GT7 is.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This i agree. You don't run the most successful IP for Sony to the ground just like that. GT6 start the downfall then GT Sport also happen. No wonder they are sweeping everything under the rug fast.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Sony Japan and polyphony really goofed with this series
I stil believe that GT6 should have also been ported to ps4 ( along with 2013 sony ps3 titles and even some 3rd parties ) seemed like a no brainer would have provided games to play , easy sales and gotten devs familiar with the ps4 faster

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
This i agree. You don't run the most successful IP for Sony to the ground just like that. GT6 start the downfall then GT Sport also happen. No wonder they are sweeping everything under the rug fast.
Isn't GT outselling all of its competition, and by a considerable margin? I don't actually know the figures so it's a legitimate question, I just thought that was the case.

Maybe it's just a genre that isn't as popular as it used to be.

mango.

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't GT outselling all of its competition, and by a considerable margin? I don't actually know the figures so it's a legitimate question, I just thought that was the case.

Yup.

Project CARS 2 went "bigger and better", and just flunked, Forza 7 was praised for its graphics and easy to play, and it flunked.
F1 2017 is the best F1 in ages, it flunked. Dirt 4 followed Dirt Rally's great success and it flunked.

NFS Payback seems to be doing alright though and Forza Horizon managed to become a stronger brand than its parent Motorsport.

And the loss of audience was felt in major, real life, racing series as well. They finally began to scramble to connect to newer audiences.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
GT Sport couldn't be more different to GT6, a far superior product, on every level. I've little doubt it will be the template for all serious sims moving forward. It's brought the genre into the modern, multiplayer era, in a mass market friendly manner. I'm a single-player guy for story driven games. But motorsport is competitive.

3.4m after 6 months is not what the series used to do, but it continues to grow, adding 60k+ accounts per week. Other series in the genre struggle to achieve 1/3rd of those sales.

At this moment PD are running a World Tour event with 30 of Europe's best drivers at the Nurburgring.....with public competitors invited over the weekend. It's the start of other such World Tour events, plus the official start of the FIA series.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
3.3 millions for GTS is prety anemic. The game seriously underperformed outside of Europe (and It could be argued that it also underperformed there).

Low GT6 sales were blamed on the system (PS3), what are we going to use for GTS (which is at about 60% of GT6 sales with numerous timed/permanent price drops)
Since when is 3.3 60% of 5.2? Regardless, it should pretty easily catch up if not pass 6 eventually. This is just after half a year.

But yeah, still not a great position if you're comparing yourself to a game that flopped because it released after the PS4 released.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I mean........Fighting game is also considered as one of the genre that is not as popular as in the past. But when you have literally the biggest IP for that genre, you should be able to still hold the sales or at least make sure the decline is not as huge as GT5-6-Sports.

And that is not counting how long each GT come out there. So there is a reason if SOny would want to put a stronger reign towards Polyphony there.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

GT games tend to have extremely long legs. Three million plus in seven months with the launch they had is solid.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

Yup, still the highest selling game in its genre. If this is running it in the ground then other racing games should just cease to exists (most already did sadly)

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
GT Sport is by far the best, most polished, Gran Turismo do date. From physics, to car models, sound and game structure, it makes even GT6 look archaic.

There's little doubt online racing is the way forward for the entire sim genre. Despite scepticism (including from myself), Sport is the most addictive racing I've experienced. To the point I've well over 50% of the traditional single-player campaign still to do.

GT Sport continues to be the biggest sim by a considerable margin, and will clear 5m by the end of the gen. Once GT Sport's full DLC roster is complete, that will basically be whatever GT7 is.
We don't know what it's sells are but I'm guessing it's probably already over 4M judging by that guy who tracks online profiles. I bet by year one it will be around 6 Million.