• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
DM-ztnsX4AA5XS0.jpg:large

(Real art by Olly Moss, videogamesman and artiste. One day we'll have a banner, I swear.)

Welcome one and all to ResetEra's all-encompassing poster and print thread, colloquially known as Fancy-PosterEra. Here you'll find a small, but ever growing community of collectors, connoisseurs, and insane people devoted to the hoarding and, sometimes, display of a wide variety of printed art, ranging from the cheap and mundane to the absurd and absurdly expensive. If you're returning, welcome back to the treadmill. If this is your first time here, we have some info for you to help you get started.

Section 1: $100.00 for a poster?

1985-lamborghini-countach-lp5000-s-quattrovalvole.jpg

(So sick)

Well, yes. No doubt you've been putting those glossy, mass-produced posters on your walls. Shiny images of a sick, cherry red Lamborghini Countach or maybe a Dragon Ball Z wall scroll. No more! You're an adult now, time to start collecting and paying like one. The prints we're usually talking about are a step above in both quality and, perhaps more importantly, exclusivity. That is to say: while there are endless copies of that DBZ wall scroll, there may only be five hundred copies of the DBZ screen print you're looking to buy (and, oftentimes, far fewer than that). You are also now, in effect, partaking in the world of collecting art, a world that can be both extremely volatile and extremely competitive. As such, you're not just dealing with the popularity of an image, but that of the person who made it. Who's hot this month can affect price and availability as much as anything else. As for production, you'll most likely be looking at three different types of prints: seriagraphs (screenprints), giclees, and lithographs. For more info on the various methods of printing, see here.

I would say that the majority of the art that you'll find in this thread will be of the screen printed variety, but there are more and more artists coming up whose work is too difficult to produce adequately in this fashion and are releasing giclee prints (artists whose work is closer to traditional painting tend to favor giclees).

Along with varied methods of printing you will find a vast array of subjects. Pop culture art has exploded over the last few years, and you may have already seen some of the tidal wave of movie and video game art that has been produced. But there's also art from street and graffiti artists, concert posters (a market that has existed for decades now), and fine art prints. There is a staggering amount of print art out there, catering to most anything one might be interested in. Let's take a look at where you can go to get your fix.

FINE, where do I buy these things?

• Mondo: The Behemoth. Regardless of what you think of their output as of late, I think it cannot be disputed that they are the biggest name in pop culture posters, if only for the time being. If this is your first time here, there is a good chance that what brought you here was a Mondo print. Make an account, log in before the drop, and keep your fingers crossed while you hammer the F5 button on drop day.
  • Bottleneck: They started out small, but in the past year their output has grown by leaps and bounds in both quality and quantity and have expanded into non-pop culture prints from a wide range of artists.
  • Black Dragon Press: BDP's portfolio of prints has been steadily on the rise, producing work for films from directors like Tarkovsky and Herzog, as well as prints for literary works such as Watership Down and a small but impressive collection of art prints. Keep an eye on these guys.
  • Gallery1988: Two galleries in LA with a regular new shows covering a spectrum of pop culture subjects. Some big names really blew up courtesy of these guys.
  • Hero Complex Gallery: Leaning more towards the video game end of the spectrum, but plenty of tv and movie work in there as well.
  • Postersandtoys: Headed by Mitch Putnam of Mondo, you'll often find smaller releases and Artist Proof's from Mondo talent sold here. Tougher to get a drop here and prices are marked up based on aftermarket value.
  • Grey Matter: Leaning more towards horror, Grey Matter has slowly been building a catalog of great prints.
  • The Vacvvm: One of the newest players, The Vacvvm is artist commune also headed by Mitch Putnam, and headlined by Aaron Horkey, that releases art prints by some of the the hottest up and coming artists.
There are a TON of other places to buy prints from, including directly from the artists. Check out Section 4 for a list of other galleries and artists's websites.

Section 2: Storage and Display.

So now that you have a glut of paper taking up room in your house, what do you do with it. Well, there are a few options:

Storage:

Before you even get into storing these prints, make sure they are flat! I think it's safe to say that many of us keep them rolled up in their delivery tubes when we are first starting out. While this is convenient, the longer they stay rolled up, the harder they will be to flatten out. Do yourself a favor and get your prints out of the tube as quickly as possible. I like to let them relax for a few days before I start flattening them out. You can use use anything (books, for example) that doesn't damaged the paper to weight down the corners or use the the foam board method mentioned below. You can even buy poster weights to help with the flattening process.

41363_X.jpg

(Baby steps.)

Acid free foam board and glassine sheets: Here's the most basic setup you can get. Grab some big sheets of acid free foamboard from an art supply store and separate prints with acid-free glassine sheets. Clamp down the edges with binder clips and your print sandwich is done and you can hide it under a couch or bed so that no one can see your shame. As previously mentioned, helpful for flattening prints even if you don't ultimately store them this way.

Arseny_-1000.jpg

(This is fine. Everything's fine.)

Display portfolio: Here's where many start to get serious. A display portfolio is great if you don't have room for a flatfile, and it's also easily hidden away. Sizes can range from 8.5" x 11" to up to and beyond 24" x 36". Bottleneck has begun making presentation cases and is one of the only places to get the larger, 24" x 36" case. The biggest downside to a presentation case is that the pages can be expensive and a bit fragile.

flatfile1.jpg

(My girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband is leaving me, but at least I have these prints.)

Flatfile: If you are really serious about hoarding paper, and you have the room, you'll want a flatfile. Made from a variety of materials in a variety of styles, these multi-drawered pieces of furniture are the made to store large pieces of paper. Best bet for finding one is to check Craigslist. People have done some really interesting things with them as well, like putting a glass window in the top and using them as a coffee table.

Display:

Believe it or not, some people actually buy prints to display, as in hang them up so that other people can look at them. I know, it's crazy. There are a number of things to take into account when framing art. The biggest concerns when framing prints are going to be light exposure, humidity, and chemical degradation. These are the archiving concerns, and are completely separate from those of aesthetics. I could probably fill up an entire page's worth of posts regarding the ins and outs. Thankfully, much of this work has been done already by more committed and experienced people, so get ready for some links.

Frame Destination's in-depth framing information.

Smithsonian Museum Conservation Institute: Housing and Environment Options for Display of Documents

Frankly, you can get crazed with this stuff. The short version is this:

• Make sure to use spacers or a mat to keep the paper from touching the glass, unless you will be rotating prints in the frame.
  • Make sure to protect the print from direct sunlight. Use glass with UV protection or rotate images to avoid fading.
  • Make sure the print has room to expand and contract within the frame.
  • Make sure the print can be easily removed from the mat/frame. Hinges should not use strong adhesives and NO DRYMOUNTING.
  • Make sure mat, hinges, and backing boards are acid free (This goes for any storage, including the presentation cases I mentioned above. Just like mushrooms, the only paper acids you should be working with are the ones that let you see the face of god.)
This is all stuff to keep in mind if you take your prints to a professional framer. The good ones will know all of this. Be careful when going to the bigger stores, like AC Moore or Michael's. Could be you get someone who knows what they're doing, but it's just as likely that you'll get someone working part time in the framing department. That's not a knock against those people, it's just the reality of those stores.

Lastly, here's a great article for beginners ordering a frame online from places like Frame Destination or American Frame.

Section 3: Further References and Worthwhile Websites

Expresso Beans The premiere poster collecting website on the internet. Well, maybe not, but one of the more popular places to buy, sell, and argue about poster art.

OMGPosters! Print blog run by Mitch Putnam (that dude really gets around). Good source of upcoming releases.

Inside the Rock Poster Frame Like it says on the box, this mostly deals with concert (or gig) posters but they also update on gig-poster artists' releases as well.

Cult Collective Good news section for releases. They also have a small store of their own.

(Big thanks to sushigod7, fallengorn, FilthySlug, Blingaling, and Dreweyes for their help with the new OP and of course an enormous thanks to Mockingbird, without whom this thread might not exist.)

An ENORMOUS thanks to fallengorn for organizing the Discord channel and getting us here. You rule, dude!

Last edited:

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definite shoutouts to the mods of the poster discord, you guys were awesome.

OP
OP
IronRinn

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry about any broken links or formatting, guys. Will fix. Also, we need a banner already!

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Now we can once again discuss the merits of which Moss Garfield is best, and why it's #21

eAQlriu.png

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm an avid lurker, but great to see this community here and in tact (and Olly's Inktober too lol).

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Really happy this thread survived the exodus. 'Twas an honor waiting out those few dark days with fancy poster-GAF on Discord.

Veritigo

Oct 25, 2017
Glad this thread made it over! Kinda just started lurking the old one since my wall is all filled up (plus too much in storage...) but I always enjoyed seeing the new stuff.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Back at my desktop. Just wanted to say, thanks to you guys for making an awesome community here. If it weren't for you guys... I'd be bailing a Fancy Pins group.

D_N_G

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't pass up Geddes Imperator. Timed edition went live for 24 hours last Sunday night during all of the turmoil
Imperator-website-1-950x500.jpg
Imperator-website-3-950x500.jpg
Imperator-website-2-950x500.jpg

Browny

Oct 25, 2017
Something something something new thread smell.
Something something my wallet.

Glad to be back - thanks to fallengorn and IronRinn for their hard work, and everyone else for making this a great community.

I've actually bought nothing at all this year - just a couple of frames for the Cyclops Frozen prints for my daughter's room. My aim is to frame Anne Benjamin's Amelie for my other half, either for Christmas or her birthday in January.

Other than that, I think I'll sweep up a couple of prints in the new year (Whalen's Civil War being one), depending on available funds.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
Jock posted on his instagram that he's going to have his pan's labyrinth print and the variant at mondocon

I bet they're already sold

omgkitty

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville
I definitely have bought more up to this point this year, than last year. I've got mixed feelings about it.

I just need to shed some prints that I don't want anymore, but I'm too lazy to do it.

Same for me. I had actually backed off buying shit and then I realized James Jean is pretty cool and it's all been down hill from there.

OP
OP
IronRinn

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely have bought more up to this point this year, than last year. I've got mixed feelings about it.

I just need to shed some prints that I don't want anymore, but I'm too lazy to do it.
As omgkitty noted earlier, shedding prints is easier said than done. I wish bling was in here. I'd like to know how effective setting up a temporary bigcartel store was for him.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Aha! I found you guys.

I haven't bought too many prints lately. Last one was that Mumford Rick & Morty print from Bottleneck. Still love looking, though.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017

My purchases are definitely way up. Last year I had gotten some mondo stuff, and a few things from local artists, but this year I found bottleneck and hero complex and I think I have about 3x as many, even before mondocon

I also have mixed feelings

Filthy Slug

Oct 25, 2017
As omgkitty noted earlier, shedding prints is easier said than done. I wish bling was in here. I'd like to know how effective setting up a temporary bigcartel store was for him.

To be honest, I don't really see the point in that. Because you still have to manually pimp the url, and then you're just giving away whatever percentage bigcartel takes. You're basically creating an ebay store without the built-in exposure.

OP
OP
IronRinn

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I don't really see the point in that. Because you still have to manually pimp the url, and then you're just giving away whatever percentage bigcartel takes. You're basically creating an ebay store without the built-in exposure.
True, but it automates the process of selling on EB. I mean, if I want to point to EB for my trades, there's still a process of having to message back and forth for price, shipping, etc. And that assumes you already have an EB account.

Filthy Slug

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and also, I'd say for now at least, FB has taken over the EB marketplace. And the FB groups get flooded with sales, and there's definitely a popularity aspect to who's selling. Which blows booty.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a good lead on supplies (weights/glassine/foam board) in Canada? My flat file storage solution is pretty haggard, but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells basic supplies without massive shipping fees.

OP
OP
IronRinn

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
MondoCon stuff incoming:

snow-white-and-the-seven-dwarfs-mondo-poster-600x400.jpg

Tom Whalen. 36″ x 24″ screen print. Numbered edition of 395, $65

justice-league-mondo-poster-600x400.jpg

Lee Bermejo. 36″ x 24″ screen print. Numbered edition of 400, $55

goodfellas-mondo-poster-402x600.jpg

Marc Aspinall. 24″ x 36″ screen print. Numbered edition of 225, $50

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
not sure how to not post full sized images, but mondo(through collider) just revealed 3 more of their mondocon posters

Tom Whalen's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

• Artist: Tom Whalen
  • 36″x24″ Screen Print
  • Edition of 395
  • $65

Lee Bermejo's Justice League

• Artist: Lee Bermejo
  • 36″x24″ Screen Print
  • Edition of 400
  • $55
Marc Aspinall's Goodfellas

• Artist: Marc Aspinall
  • 24″x36″ Screen Print
  • Edition of 225
  • $50

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
I generally like Bermejo's art, but there's something about that one that just doesn't work for me. Is this the first licensed print that he's done for a company like Mondo?

OP
OP
IronRinn

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
I generally like Bermejo's art, but there's something about that one that just doesn't work for me. Is this the first licensed print that he's done for a company like Mondo?
It's because Superman is in it and if you've watched the commercials then you know that he is obviously not in this movie.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
It's because Superman is in it and if you've watched the commercials then you know that he is obviously not in this movie.
That must be it! I actually just think his pose is awkward, and I guess I'm just imagining him lazily hovering forward towards the action with his fist out. For some reason, I seem to be exceptionally critical of any posters featuring jumping-punch poses like the Mondo Iron Fist print that came out a little while ago.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any updates on that Legend of Korra statue that Mondo is doing? They revealed it A while back (at SDCC maybe?) and then it dropped off the face of the Earth.