• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about popcorn nearly as much as the fucking people who decide to open wrappers halfway through the fucking movie. The constant eating at movies is ridiculous. I promise you'll survive two hours without shoving overpriced garbage into your face.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Fuck that. Screw people who eat popcorn at the movies. Yesterday I went to watch Alita and it was the worst experience I have ever had. On the left, people eating popcorn like a bunch of animals, chewing and making discomforting noise. On the right, a couple opening every fucking bag of chips, chocolate and whatever they came up with and making sounds for the whole fucking cinema to hear. Do people realize they are not the only ones in the room? From now on I will only watch movies on the IMAX room as these peasents rather pay the difference in drinks and shitfood rather than a better experience therefore the room is usually empty.

Fuck popcorn.
Chillaaaaaaax bro. You sound like a real downer. Let the people eat their popcorn and stop being a pompous asshole. I bet you are the life of the party huh guy? You probably walk around the party making sure people use coasters. Popcorn and movies goes together like hot dogs and buns. Don't be a chump, be a champ

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I feel sorry for the people who buy theatre food. It's always expensive. You're wasting 30+ just to see a movie and eat food, and it's usually just skittles, a large soda, and giant popcorn (which will make you want to eat real food after). Just be smart and get some to-go sushi and bring it in. Don't be scammed, be like me.

The theatre in my town gives you a large soda, huge bag of popcorn, a chocolate bar and a ticket to the movie for $18 CAD. I usually only eat like a quarter of the popcorn so I take the rest home and eat it over the next few days. Pretty awesome deal.

You can also go in the theatre any time and get just the food. I go in to buy a big bag of popcorn for like $5 without seeing a movie and it lasts me 3-4 days.

OP
OP
esseesse

esseesse

Oct 27, 2017
Chillaaaaaaax bro. You sound like a real downer. Let the people eat their popcorn and stop being a pompous asshole. I bet you are the life of the party huh guy? You probably walk around the party making sure people use coasters. Popcorn and movies goes together like hot dogs and buns. Don't be a chump, be a champ

You know this isn't just about popcorn.
You are in room to watch a movie. You are supposed to be quiet. Not open wrappers and try the best you can to find gold at bottom the popcorn bucket.
It's like, people think they are alone in the room. The chocolate bar couple even said one to other "This chocolate bar is great".

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I went to see A Quiet Place at the cinema and a person in front was rustling their popcorn for the entire first scene in the drug store. There was a definite moment when they realised the movie would be this silent for the majority of the runtime, and the rustling slowly decreased until they just stopped eating it lol.

Just give me the ability to watch cinema releases at home for a premium and I am there, day 1.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
You are in room to watch a movie. You are supposed to be quiet. Not open wrappers and try the best you can to find gold at bottom the popcorn bucket.
It's like, people think they are alone in the room. The chocolate bar couple even said one to other "This chocolate bar is great".
Exactly. It's a room full of people watching a movie. You need to let people eat and stop being the sound police. Plus they sell the food at the movies. Its completely normal for people to eat the food they bought at the snack bar while watching the movie. Otherwise there would be a no food or drink rule, which would be truly ridiculous. Now talking during the movie I would agree with. But just eating? Nah. You get the gasface.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
When you are getting upwards of hundreds of people in a room, it's not reasonable to think that everyone will have the same adherence to sound volume.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Popcorn is okay, but I usually go for the Chicken Strips basket at my local Regal. The food there is actually pretty good and not terribly priced.

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If max brightness screens bother you in cinema why shouldn't popcorn bother me? We're all in the same room and paid the same. I'll keep rolling my eyes and preach quietly until you chew with your mouth closed.
You can be sure that I would be the first person throw popcorn at you for using a phone during the movie. If it doesn't help I will shout everyone will know who is destroying the experience for everybody else. Popcorn is part of cinema! Phones are not.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
You can be sure that I would be the first person throw popcorn at you for using a phone during the movie. If it doesn't help I will shout everyone will know who is destroying the experience for everybody else. Popcorn is part of cinema! Phones are not.
So you're gonna incite a fight over someone using a phone?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Yeah I've never understood why cinemas pick such fucking noisy food.

Plus I'd rather have a nice sandwich than shitty popcorn, nachos or hot dogs. Sandwiches are quieter and tastier.

And yeah wrappers can be annoying - for some reason nobody has enough of a functioning brain stem to open their shit before the movie starts.

OP
OP
esseesse

esseesse

Oct 27, 2017

What if popcorn destroy the experience for some? Am I allowed to shout?

I haven't got an exact problem with popcorn itself in case some of you realize. I do, however, with annoying screech and squeak sounds interrumpting my experience. Half of them is because people don't know how to respect others.

A cinema is a cinema. You are there to watch movies. Not eating your dinner!

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
The OP reads like a parody of a first world problem. Can't believe he's actually that stuck up.

I mean I could relate to a lot of troublesome audience habits. Loud talking during a movie, and sure, I could understand the annoying sound of someone messing with plastic wrap, and maybe open mouth chewing (though I've never really experienced that last one). The one that gets me is people leaving their phones on. I mean hearing a notification chine is annoying, but I hate when people decide to leave it on in their lap or holding it in their hand as they're watching with the bright screen annoyingly during my eyes and making me unable to focus on the movie screen. Ugh that really annoys me.

Now before OP looks at this and says, "SEE? SEE! Popcorn's JUST LIKE THAT!"

It really isn't. Why we would have all these PSAs about turning off your phone and not eating popcorn? You're being obnoxious and you're 1000% wrong.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
My only problem is that my soda is gone too quickly. I'll then wait for the ice to melt and try and suck all the water out that I can. Also, I usually have to give the entire cup a good shake once in awhile so the remaining ice does not freeze together. Then, it's time to see if I can get anymore liquid from the cup. After 30 minutes of that, it's time to pop the lid off and crunch on the remaining ice!

Oct 26, 2017
You know what i really hate about movies? All these privileged assholes sitting in chairs. When i was a kid we were so poor we couldn't afford chairs. Standing only. What, you guys are too good to stand?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If max brightness screens bother you in cinema why shouldn't popcorn bother me? We're all in the same room and paid the same. I'll keep rolling my eyes and preach quietly until you chew with your mouth
Because you know that eating during a movie is normal and encouraged. Playing around with your phone isn't. They aren't equivalent. Film is largely a visual medium, your phone is more distracting than some guy chewing popcorn.

Deleted member 13642

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
mm, damn, hits me right in the sweet spot when I open an era thread and it's exactly what I was hoping for.

On the off chance I ever end up in a movie theater again, I'm gonna get the wettest buttery popcorn I can, plop down right behind op, and just smack it up until he snaps. A little husk might fly out and land on your ear.

Free asmr bro

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
My partner and I always get the couple's combo.

2 large drinks and a medium popcorn for 10 dollars.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
The other day I had someone with a giant fucking pizza right next to me. Lord knows how they were able to bring that shit into a movie theater.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always get popcorn at the movies. Always. I don't care if people are eating or drinking during the movie. That's part of the experience. If you don't like it then don't go. Simple as that.

battousai

Oct 25, 2017
Popcorn is nothing; I went to a movie where someone thought it was a good idea to eat sunflower seeds from start to finish. That was a miserable time.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I'm with ya OP! It's why I stopped going to the cinema.

It's not about NO FUN ALLOWED for me it's just being respectful to people around you... Even in the loudest cinemas for me it's just extremely distracting.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
I'm with the OP. Popcorn and other snacks at the movies are a nuisance that I wish would go away. Going by obesity rates one would think that people could abstain from eating a couple of hours.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I went last night. There were only five of us in the theatre, but one couple had popcorn. They were really quiet and I didn't hear it even though we were in the same row.

I'm with the OP. Popcorn and other snacks at the movies are a nuisance that I wish would go away. Going by obesity rates one would think that people could abstain from eating a couple of hours.

Movie popcorn is a staple, and it's something people go for. It's not going anywhere.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
If you go to a movie theater, you accept that you're going to have a social experience, it's not just the movie you're buying. If you don't want that (I don't want it too), don't go to the theater. The giant screen and dolby surround are nice but not really necessary.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
You are the odd one out here.

Popcorn has been part of the moviegoing experience for ages now. In fact I cannot go to a movie and not get popcorn. Movie theater popcorn is the best.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Don't go to the theater then. I definitely sympathize though; I fucking hate it as well, I can't stand any noise people make at the movies. So I fixed it by staying home.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
While we are moaning about stuff people do in public....

Loud music on shitty headphones that seem to leak out more to the outside world than the person actually listening to it on public transport.

Thankfully I don't commute anymore but I did for 15 years and it used to drive me crazzzzzzzzzy. Just want to sit there quietly before work damnit!!!

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If it's shining in my face

cinema-film-horror-jack-nicholson-movie-scary-favim-com-79491.jpg

???

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
I feel sorry for the people who buy theatre food. It's always expensive. You're wasting 30+ just to see a movie and eat food, and it's usually just skittles, a large soda, and giant popcorn (which will make you want to eat real food after). Just be smart and get some to-go sushi and bring it in. Don't be scammed, be like me.

You realize if no one bought theater food theaters would cease to exist? The theater makes pennies on the dollar for ticket sales. Concessions sales is what keeps them in business.