• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Pope requests Roman Catholic priests be given right to marry - The Telegraph https://apple.news/AwpiHU1v4TYuBsPo-xSCVzA

Desperate times I guess
Pope Francis has placed a request for Roman Catholic priests to be allowed to marry in Brazil on the agenda of a forthcoming synod on the Amazon region, in a controversial move that is likely to outrage conservatives in the Church, Vatican sources say.
The pontiff took the decision to put a partial lifting of priestly celibacy up for discussion and a possible vote by Brazilian bishops following a request made by Cardinal Claudio Hummes, the president of the Episcopal Commission for the Amazon, Il Messaggero newspaper quoted the sources saying.
Cardinal Hummes reportedly asked Francis to consider ordaining so-called viri probati, married men of great faith, capable of ministering spiritually to the many remote communities in the Amazon where there is a shortage of priests, and evangelical Christians and pagan sects are displacing Catholicism.
The cardinal's request has been echoed by Monsignor Erwin Krautler, the secretary of the Episcopal Commission. He has also suggested that the bishops attending the synod in 2019 on the Amazon, now being prepared in Rome, should consider ordaining women deacons as priests.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
It never made sense to me. Especially since a lot of priests act as marriage counselors.
Like... shouldn't they be able to experience life if they want to preach on life?

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It never made sense to me. Especially since a lot of priests act as marriage counselors.
Like... shouldn't they be able to experience life if they want to preach on life?
It made more sense back in the day but nowadays it is pretty outdated, yes. I believe I know a priest that is married but it is not the catholic church.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Paul's desire to remain single isn't and was never meant for everyone, anyways. Also, I think many priests need an appropriate outlet for their stress.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Especially if you hold that marriage is a divine union, it made no sense that it would be something that priests couldn't partake in.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They are supposed to be representations of Jesus, hence the celibacy.

Of course many fall short of acting like Jesus in most areas and even the best priest can't really live up to Christs standards so yeah, it never really made much sense.

Priests not being allowed to marry or date is a human construct, it should be changed.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
*reads thread title*
Wow, how have I not heard of this earth-shattering news?
*reads article*
Ah, that's why.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
Wow, this is big. If they allow priest marriage in Brazil, I'm sure they will try to introducing it in other countries too at some point. I'm all for it, celibacy isn't normal. I went to a Jesuit school and have seen fathers drop out of the order to pursue reliationships with women. They often didn't lose their faith, they just couldn't reconcile it with the lonely life they were supposed to live.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Considering what some of them do as a workaround or loophole to celibacy just fucking let them

DopeToast

Oct 27, 2017
Wow wow wow. This is a huge news and something I didn't expect in my lifetime.

I hope this ends up so that men and women can be priests and married, before and during their time as priests.

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only in Brasil though

Hell, maybe we'll see a drop in child abuse if this comes to pass

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This should happen all over. Its way beyond time they got away from this practice. People need human touch and affection all the way to a physical level. Might allieviate some priests to not develop some of the more perverse sex acts some seem to have i wonder if the celibacy is a factor.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
telegraph title seems to be jumping the gun a bit

pope requests conversation about allowing priests to marry
in brazil, specifically remote communities within the amazon
because they're losing to evangelicals and pagans

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great, before you know it, ill walk in on my archbishop banging some nun in the confessional booth. Thanks a lot Pope!

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
...I'm so tempted to make an off-colour joke here, but I'll leave that to Team Four Star's Hellsing Abridged and just say "That'll do, Pope".

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
telegraph title seems to be jumping the gun a bit

pope requests conversation about allowing priests to marry
in brazil, specifically remote communities within the amazon
because they're losing evangelicals and pagans

Thread title doesn't help either, should be changed, it's very misleading.

Oct 29, 2017
1. Misleading headline for the reasons stated above.

2. This is very old. Since at least 2014, it's an issue Francis has been publicly taking seriously.

3. There are already some married Roman Catholic priests (primarily converts from other Christian denominations).

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Sounds better than it is, but even if it's just about conversation in a specific area, it's a good step IMO.
With some luck, I'll be around for 70 more years. Gimme those married priests, gimme some lady priests, go go go.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Cardinal Hummes reportedly asked Francis to consider ordaining so-called viri probati, married men of great faith, capable of ministering spiritually to the many remote communities in the Amazon where there is a shortage of priests, and evangelical Christians and pagan sects are displacing Catholicism.
Or how about you just fucking leave them alone and let them choose their own faiths? Religious colonialism is vile.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I wonder if they'll change their stance on women not being allowed to be priests as well.

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting. I wonder if they'll change their stance on women not being allowed to be priests as well.

IMO, they'll never go there. If anything, this is a reminder of how beautifully committed they are to the subjugation of women. After all, their religious colonialism and expansionism would be more successful if they allowed women to become priests (and help out with the empire building). But few things are more sacred to the Roman Catholic Church than the superiority of men.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's only for a select group, but this is still huge news regardless. I love this guy.