• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAGERK

Oct 27, 2017
Sydney
So they are happy to bend the rules for those that subscribe to their religion but they will go out of their way to campaign against the rights of people that don't. Good for him.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not Catholic but from what exposure I've had, married deacons can act as marriage counselors already, which makes a bit more sense.

Yes. Wife and I started out with communication problems (me getting into rages) when we firsr got married and I said we need a marriage counselor. So she got our parish deacon to council. Not what I was expecting.

As for the article. I'm glad it went into detail in what the Pope was saying. Was worried about reactionary headlines like "POPE OKAYS PRIESTS GETTING MARRIED". This isn't new. Pope Francis has been suggesting this for a while now.

Sadly as for women priests, like it said in the article, its like what I said in that other forum a fee years back: I believe the Catholic Church will allow gay marriage before we see our first woman Catholic Priest. I was shot down but prove wrong in 30 years.

As for this current topic? I expect it to be debated for another 20 years or before a decision is made.

What's the actual logic behind the forbiddance of priests and nuns to marry anyway?

Is it the whole giving all of oneself to God or something like that?

Two answers: The one you posed and the other was a history of dirty priests and bishops and popes leaving their amassed wealth and power to their children.

How do you say "This is why we don't have nice things" in Latin?

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Now to be clear, though even the article in the OP appears to be misinterpreting things, this is Francis asking for a specific exemption only for men who are ALREADY married to be allowed to be ordained as priests. This doesn't suddenly mean all currently ordained Catholic priests are back in the dating pool, and once ordained you're still expected to no longer date/marry. Diaconate ordination already functioned similarly, so there is precedent here as well.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Now, if the pope would kindly stop saying stupid things about transgender people...

It's weird, he seems to say some really liberal things that make sense and then suddenly he'll come out with some hateful shit. I wonder how much of the hateful shit is actually his own opinion or just his underlings telling him what to say.

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird, he seems to say some really liberal things that make sense and then suddenly he'll come out with some hateful shit. I wonder how much of the hateful shit is actually his own opinion or just his underlings telling him what to say.
There's also the possibility of someone being a relatively decent person in some ways, but biased/backwards/uneducated in others.

There are horrible people, but I also believe there are some only partly horrible people.

Earendil

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It never made sense to me. Especially since a lot of priests act as marriage counselors.
Like... shouldn't they be able to experience life if they want to preach on life?

Here's something to think about. Back in the early days of the church, many men who became priests were landowners and had some modicum of wealth. If those men were not permitted to marry and have children, who became the beneficiary when they died?

EDIT: What Westbahnhof said...

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is going to piss off every dude of the cloth that had one of those conflicts of following his heart or his faith.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Forbidding priest to marriage has to do with the empire roots of the Catholic Church. When priest couldn't have heirs, they couldn't pass down their wealth, so the church took their property. This was when priests were rather wealthy in both status and material wealth.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else notice the bit at the end about ordaining women deacons as priests? That is just as huge.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
What you said is often stated, an possibly why people accept it today, but the original reason was simply keeping the wealth on the church.
Can't have spouses and children taking all that gold.

Here's something to think about. Back in the early days of the church, many men who became priests were landowners and had some modicum of wealth. If those men were not permitted to marry and have children, who became the beneficiary when they died?

EDIT: What Westbahnhof said...

Woah, is this true? 0_o is there any resource or link that I can read that can illuminate me on this? I'm interested on the subject.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Mentioned this to my Catholic mother. She seemed in favor of broad implementation declaring it was "better than women on the alter".

I...what?