• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Decarabia

Oct 25, 2017
CdHQiwj.png

Now, it's time to reward those that made 2017 worthwhile in a different way. A category that will, no doubt, get its own share of controversy! Check out the "winners":
1. Katy Perry's Witness era (86 points, 18 votes)
Z7ftSyn.png

"Katy Perry, so much shit talking and grandstanding about being above it all but couldn't produce any true hits this era to shut up her adversaries"
"Katy Perry live-streaming her meltdown and desperately clutching at anything LGBT in an attempt to retain relevancy"

2. Miley Cyrus's Younger Now era (30 points, 7 votes)
ODF3LtQ.png

"Miley Cyrus - EVERYTHING, talk about a regression, not that she wasn't always awful, but damn that jump to country was... a choice definitely. Now not only is she a talentless hack, but a boring one too. Sad!"

3. Taylor Swift's Reputation era (22 points, 5 votes)
exWTaeD.png

"Taylor Swift, she can't even make being a mean girl work even when that is closer to her true form "
"Taylor Swift's 'rapping' "

4. Mariah Carey's New Years Eve (20 points, 4 votes)
xIjMVVW.png

"Biggest flop has to be Mariah Carey starting the year off right with the most horrendous New Years Eve performance ever. Should have known 2017 was going to be a dumpster fire with a start like that. Way to go Mariah!"

5. Lady Gaga in 2017 (12 votes, 3 votes)
JQXbWMU.png

"Lady Gaga ending her own career"

6. Fergie's Double Dutchess era
Neo[redacted]'s demise (10 points, 2 votes)
8. Charli XCX's album leak (9 points, 2 votes)
9. Azealia Bank's messiness (8 points, 2 votes)
10. Rita Ora's attempts at relevancy (8 points, 2 votes)

11. Ed Sheeran & those who like him (5 points, 1 vote)
"anyone who continues stanning Ed She-ran(as fast as she could) in 2017 needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror and contemplate how they'll ever find a way to love and respect themselves again"

12. Beyoncé as a feature
Drake's More Life (4 points, 1 vote)
14. Charli XCX's Bounce performance at Jimmy Kimmel
Eminem's Revival (4 points, 1 vote)
16. Dua Lipa's performances
Kendrick Lamar's DAMN.
Nicki Minaj in 2017 (3 points, 1 vote)
19. Fifth Harmony's floppage
Harvey Weinstein's sexual harrassment scandal (3 points, 1 vote)
21. Hollywood in general
PopERA's stance on Taylor Swift in this category (2 points, 1 vote)
"POPERA, for probably voting for Taylord in this category even though she's slaying bitches left and right in every aspect of the game, all because she told a half-truth about a phone convo with Kanye once."

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely voted for that number one. The others are out of order for me. I did not put Taylor down because she was still the number one artist of 2017 when it comes to album sales, and actually thoroughly enjoyed her album (even if she is a snake).

speedwagen

Oct 27, 2017
UK, London
I was a fan of tears, track 10, femme bot and backseat my self. I'm pretty new to pop tbh, I just came from industrial :-P

Last edited:

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I love tears. Def check out Chairlift or any of Caroline Polachek's solo ambient work. She got a way better traditional singing voice than Charli. The cover they did of Beyoncé's party with Kool AD is so dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiLy0o2CFkY

EDIT: also I know that Katy Perry was largely clowned on here but I actually liked quite a few tracks on her album.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was a fan of tears, track 10, femme bit and backseat my self. I'm pretty new to pop tbh, I just came from industrial :-P
I don't know what industrial is, but Pop at the moment is an interesting, transitional phase. Women Pop fell off the face of the earth popularity wise with only Taylor getting a #1 last year. I recommend: Lana Del Rey's "Lust for Life," Kesha's "Rainbow," Taylor Swift's "Reputation," and Lorde's "Melodrama." At least for 2017 women pop wise.

I love tears. Def check out Chairlift or any of Caroline Polachek's solo ambient work. She got a way better traditional singing voice than Charli. The cover they did of Beyoncé's party with Kool AD is so dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiLy0o2CFkY

EDIT: also I know that Katy Perry was largely clowned on here but I actually liked quite a few tracks on her album.

Most people like a few tracks off of Witness, but agree that it probably should have been shortened. Roulette by Katy Perry is often the most quoted as song.

I personally like: "Witness," "Hey Hey Hey," "Roulette," "Swish Swish," "Miss You More," "Chained to the Rhythm," "Bon Appetit," "Save As Draft," and "Pendulum."

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My songs of the year

1. Frank Ocean - Chanel
2. Frank Ocean - Provider
3. Charli XCX - Tears
5. Bjork - Arisen My Senses
6. Charli XCX - Lucky
7. Fever Ray - This Country
8. Charli XCX - Track 10
9. Fever Ray - To the Moon and Back
10. Drake - Get it Together

Pretty cool year for pop IMO

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I feel like pop music is more popular than it's ever been. People that were previously able to do their own things with indie projects now write songs for bigger pop stars like Beyoncé. 2017 was supposed to be the return of the indie rock bands with most of the 2000's bands like Cut Copy, Grizzly Bear, Dirty Projectors, etc. releasing new stuff but it seems like kids don't care about rock music anymore.

speedwagen

Oct 27, 2017
UK, London
I just meant industrial like nin, kmfdm and prick etc. I will definitely check out some Caroline's solo work, I also want to check out some tove lo.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like pop music is more popular than it's ever been. People that were previously able to do their own things with indie projects now write songs for bigger pop stars like Beyoncé. 2017 was supposed to be the return of the indie rock bands with most of the 2000's bands like Cut Copy, Grizzly Bear, Dirty Projectors, etc. releasing new stuff but it seems like kids don't care about rock music anymore.
Kids like rap music more. There's a reason it's the #1 genre. I feel like if any band is going to be popular it has to sound somewhat poppy. The only popular bands I can think of this decade are: Imagine Dragons, Bastille, 21 Pilots, Fallout Boy, The Black Keys. Maybe a few others that I am forgetting.
I just meant industrial like nin, kmfdm and prick etc. I will definitely check out some Caroline's solo work, I also want to check out some tove lo.
Oh I still don't know what that is lol! Tove Lo's albums are: Queen of the Clouds, Lady Wood, Blue Lips. My personal favorite is Lady Wood, but Queen of the Clouds and Blue Lips have some great songs too.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Even the bands who might have previously been categorized as indie rock are basically just pop bands. Lany, bleachers, he'll even most electronic music is just pop music. Rap music is more popular than its ever been but people still watch the voice. You painting this picture of pop music needing a boost when Britney and j lo and these chicks still having Vegas shows.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Caroline's solo work is def not pop. Chairlift was mostly famous for a song that got bought for an iTunes commercial but their last album they went pop and Beyoncé ended up using one of her songs.

https://youtu.be/ZQ9hLOHj8ag

Bruises was sorta a twee throwaway sorta cute song but chairlift's 2nd album was incredible.

https://youtu.be/6RRc0T3l1Co

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It kills me this two track single was pulled from digital release worldwide last year due to the duo breaking up. Couldn't find it anywhere, though you can buy that particular track via another release.

I didn't even realize I posted the Japanese version. I love like everything from that album though. She does really interesting stuff with her voice.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos

This cover slays and after "Worth My While" I hope this is really good, but GIRL, please give us an album this year. It feels like it's been forever since Por Vida.

Decarabia

Oct 25, 2017
CACyNol.png

Uhh, I kinda expected this, but this category ended up being a mess. In any case, let's celebrate the fact that 141 songs were nominated. Maybe I should make a playlist? Hmmm...

1. New Rules - Dua Lipa (16 points; 5 votes)
New_Rules_%28Official_Single_Cover%29_by_Dua_Lipa.png

2. Bon Appétit - Katy Perry ft. Migos (14 points; 5 votes)
Katy_Perry_-_Bon_App%C3%A9tit_%28Official_Single_Cover%29.png

3. The Cure - Lady Gaga (14 points; 4 votes)
The_Cure_-_Single_Cover.png

4. Havana - Camilla Cabello ft. Young Thug (14 points; 3 votes)
Havana_%28featuring_Young_Thug%29_%28Official_Single_Cover%29_by_Camila_Cabello.png

5. Bodak Yellow - Cardi B
Cut to the Feeling - Carly Rae Jepsen (13 points; 4 votes)

Cardi_B_-_Bodak_Yellow.jpg
Cut_to_the_Feeling.jpg

7. Cherry - Lana Del Rey (13 points; 3 votes)
8. Backseat - Charli XCX ft. Carly Ray Jepsen (12 points; 4 votes)
9. Look What You Made Me Do - Taylor Swift (12 points; 3 votes)
10. Supercut - Lorde (11 points; 3 votes)

11. Track 10 - Charli XCX (10 points; 3 votes)
12. The Weekend - SZA (10 points; 2 votes)
13. HUMBLE - Kendrick Lamar (9 points; 3 votes)
14. LOYALTY - Kendrick Lamar ft. Rihanna (9 points; 2 votes)
15. Green Light - Lorde
Roulette - Katy Perry (8 points; 2 votes)
17. Chained To The Rhythm - Katy Perry ft. Skip Marley
I Did Something Bad - Taylor Swift
It's Okay To Cry - SOPHIE
Love Galore - SZA
Mo Bounce - Iggy Azalea
Supermodel - SZA (7 points; 2 votes)
23. Boys - Charli XCX
Malibu - Miley Cyrus (6 points; 2 votes)
25. Love - Lana Del Rey (5 points; 3 votes)

26. ...Ready For It? - Taylor Swift
Bad Liar - Selena Gomez
Breathe - Astrid S
Delicate - Taylor Swift
Disco Tits - Tove Lo
Perfect Places - Lorde
Praying - Kesha (5 points; 2 votes)
33. 3 AM (Pull Up) - Charli XCX
Chanel - Frank Ocean
Drew Barrymore - SZA
LMK - Kelela
Red Flavor - Red Velvet
Roll With Me - Charli XCX
The Louvre - Lorde
Trigger Bang - Lily Allen ft. Giggs
Witness - Katy Perry
Would You Call That Love - Kelly Clarkson (5 points; 1 vote)
43. 13 Beaches - Lana Del Rey
Arisen My Senses - Björk
Blue Light - Kelela
Bounce Back - Big Sean
Distraction - Kehlani
Don't Blame Me - Taylor Swift
Gone - ionnalee
Hard Feelings/Loveless - Lorde
Hate The Way I Love You - Loreen
hey you got drugs - Tove Lo
Jump Up Superstar! - Super Mario Odyssey
Nothing Not Nearly - Laura Marling
Ric Flair Drip - Offset & Metro Boomin'
Rockstar - Post Malone
Rollin - Brave Girls
Sober II (Melodrama) - Lorde
Sometimes - Snoh Aalegra
Strip That Down - Liam Payne ft. Quavo
Third Of May - Fleet Foxes
Tsunami - Katy Perry
Want You To Say - Playback ( 4 points; 1 vote)
64. Again - Noah Cyrus
Bb - MØ
Beautiful Trauma - P!nk
Butterfly Effect - Travis Scott
Cave Me In - Gallant
Cyber Stockholm Syndrome - RINA
Deeper - MNEK
Desafio - Arca
Everybody Knows - Kimbra
Halsey - Walls Could Talk
Homemade Dynamite - Lorde
Let Me Go - Hailee Steinfield
Liability - Lorde
Losss - Björk
Lucky - Charli XCX
Mind Maze - Katy Perry
New - Yves
Nuestra Planeta - Kali Uchis
Portland - Drake ft. Quavo & Travis Scott
Provider - Frank Ocean
Stranger - Tove Lo
Strangers - Halsey ft. Lauren Juaregui
Take Me Apart - Kelela
Tonya Harding - Surfjan Stevens
Waitin' - Kelela
Whatever You Want - P!nk
XO Tour Lift3 - Lil Uzi Vert (3 points; 1 vote)
91. Lemon - N.E.R.D. ft. Rihanna (2 points; 2 votes)
92. Afterlife - Rina Sawayama
American Teen - Khalid
Anywhere - Rita Ora
Believer - Imagine Dragons
Call Me Mother - RuPaul
Can You Hear Me - Charli XCX
Chasing Highs - ALMA
Crew - Goldlink
Déjà Vu - Katy Perry
Despacito - Luis Fonsi ft. Daddy Yankee
Disconnect - Clean Bandit ft. Marina and the Diamonds
Drugs - Charli XCX ft. ABRA
Eso no va a suceder - Ha*Ash
Femmebot - Charli XCX ft. Dorian Electra & Mykki Blanco
Future Forever - Björk
Gucci Gang - Lil Pump
GUY.exe - Superfruit
I Knew It - Sonamoo
Know No Better - Major Lazer ft. Travis Scott, Camila Cabello & Quavo
Lipgloss - Charli XCX ft. CupcakKe
Night So Long - Haim
No pasa nada - Ha*Ash
Ponyboy - SOPHIE
Redbone - Childish Gambino
Savior - St. Vincent
Shape Of You - Ed Sheeran
Sideline - Niia
Sorry Not Sorry - Demi Lovato
Swish Swish - Katy Perry ft. Nicki Minaj
The Apprentice - Gorillaz
Timmy's Prayer - Sampha
Top of the World - Kimbra
Where we go - P!nk
Without Love - Alice Glass (2 points; 1 vote)
126. Babyface - WJSN
Boots - Kesha
Crying On The Bathroom Floor - MUNA
Edible High - Brandy
Feel It Still - Portugal. The Man
Fetish - Selena Gomez ft. Gucci Mane
Fruit - JAWS
Get Free - Lana Del Rey
Hey Hey Hey - Katy Perry
Miss You More - Katy Perry
Never Call Me - Aiko
Not My Baby - Alvvays
Rainmaker - Sleigh Bells
That's So Us - Allie W
What About Us - P!nk
Young, Dumb and Broke - Khalid (1 point; 1 vote)

Deleted member 6562

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the way it was wighted. My #1 was 33rd (which I expected since most haven't heard it, yet) but my #3 was #1. Interesting that pretty much Katy's whole album is on the list.

New Rules is still climbing the charts, hits 11 this Saturday.

Bad Liar deserves more love. Selena's best song of 2017, IMO.

I agree, I voted for it in my top 10. To be fair I had to look up the release date because I thought maybe it was 2016.

Last edited:

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
Saw that Ally Brooke gif multiple times earlier today on discord and its become one of my favorite gifs. Also, she's the only one I care about in Fourth Harmony.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This Camilla cabello album is so mediocre. Nothing mildly interesting outside of that Havana song they play 40 times a day

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like the way it was wighted. My #1 was 33rd (which I expected since most haven't heard it, yet) but my #3 was #1. Interesting that pretty much Katy's whole album is on the list.

New Rules is still climbing the charts, hits 11 this Saturday.
My #1 was 17, which means someone else had Chained to the Rhythm as their #3. New Rules is great. Everyone should listen to the 80's remix

I liked Bad Liar, but I thought "it Ain't Me" was Selena's best. I listened to that song at least once per day for months.
It Ain't Me was probably my favorite as well. Followed by Wolves, then Fetish then Bad Liar.
This Camilla cabello album is so mediocre. Nothing mildly interesting outside of that Havana song they play 40 times a day
I think it's a good debut pop album. It will probably rank pretty high on my year-end list. It helps that it's only 10 tracks. Not having OMG feat. Quack was a mistake.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The only thing I remember about Wolves is that it is possibly the worst artwork ever created for a mainstream pop artist ever.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Everytime I hear the beginning of Bad Liar I think Spotify has fucked up and somehow started playing Talking Heads during my female pop vocal session.

Decarabia

Oct 25, 2017
i7VCqLQ.png

As we venture into the new year, it's time to check which artists the community is checking for. Nothing too surprising, but a nice list nonetheless.

1. Rihanna (53 points; 12 votes)
9b2G7i6.png

2. Carly Rae Jepsen (28 points; 6 votes)
KUQS5Tn.png

3. Madonna (24 points; 6 votes)
MpJZFs4.png

4. Grimes (24 points; 6 votes)
iKnEhHo.png

5. Ariana Grande (20 points; 6 votes)
6gg581u.png

6. Camila Cabello
Lady Gaga (16 points; 4 votes)
8. Charli XCX (15 points;5 votes)
9. Azealia Banks (13 points; 4 votes)
10. Beyoncé
Kanye West (10 points; 2 votes)

12. Janet Jackson (8 points; 2 votes)
13. FKA Twigs (7 points; 2 votes)
14. Christina Aguilera (6 points; 3 votes)
15. Lily Allen (5 points; 2 votes)
16. Blackpink
Britney Spears
Cardi B
SOPHIE
Troye Sivan (5 votes; 1 vote)

21. Alessia Cara
Brandy
Florence + the Machine
ionnalle (4 points; 1 vote)
25. Nicki Minaj
The Weeknd (4 points; 1 vote)
27. Chance The Rapper
Kylie Minogue
Shawn Mendes
SZA (3 points; 1 vote)
31. CupcakKe
Justin Timberlake
Kehlani
Kimbra
Travis Scott (3 points; 1 vote)
36. Craig David (2 points; 1 vote)
37. JoJo
Selena Gomez (2 points; 1 vote)
39. Charlie Puth
Jazmine Sullivan
Post Malone (2 points; 1 vote)
42. Fallout Boy (1 point; 1 vote)
43. Marina and the Diamonds
Meghan Trainor (1 point; 1 vote)

Oct 27, 2017
Top 10 Songs are absolute basura, but I am perched for Rihanna and Carly so it evens out. Also RIP at Beyonce not being anticipated for people in 2018. PopERA should be EUTHANIZED.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Carly Rae will do a 2000's throwback and be crowned as the Queen of Pop.

Top 10 Songs are absolute basura, but I am perched for Rihanna and Carly so it evens out. Also RIP at Beyonce not being anticipated for people in 2018. PopERA should be EUTHANIZED.
Beyonce is on the three-year route I feel like. That's why I didn't vote for her. Cause I ain't expecting anything until 2019.