• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
***This thread is posted on behalf of Pkrockinomega, via the Adopt-a-User Thread***

Pnm_logo.png

latest

Pop'n Music is a rhythm game series created by Bemani and published by Konami. With the first game releasing in 1998 on the original Playstation, it has continued with consistent yearly releases since, with the 24th installment being released at the end of last year.

POP_500.jpg

The two most notable aspects of the games are the controller and the art style. The controls have remained the same since the first entry, with some deviations appearing only in spin-off titles such as Pop'n Stage and Pop'n Music Wii. The controller consists of nine large color-coded buttons, in two rows. The rows are asymmetrical and heavily emphasize constant movement of the hands, which contrasts with similar games like Beatmania which rely more on precise finger movements. While this does lead to some pretty simplistic gameplay at lower difficulties, crank that difficulty to EX and you've got yourself a frantically fast-paced challenge ahead, hence the thread title.

maxresdefault.jpg

The second most-notable aspect of the series is the many characters that have been introduced throughout the games and the art style they are presented in. The style, like the controller, has also remained largely unchanged throughout most of the series. Its simplicity leads to plenty of versatility, leading to a wide range of different designs and archetypes being displayed throughout. Starting with the 22nd entry, Lapistoria, the title screen and menu character art has taken on a different style, giving the characters more realistic proportions and making them more "anime"-esque. The actual in-game art remains the same, however.

latest

Now it really goes without saying, what's a good rhythm game without a kick-ass track selection? Well, Pop'n has that covered. Not only does it have an absolutely stellar ensemble of original tracks, but many games have featured guest tracks from artists such as DJ Yoshitaka (a name I'm sure you're familiar with if you've had even the slightest interest in rhythm games), as well as a healthy amount of licensed music. There's even a huge selection of music originating from anime, spanning across series like Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, Attack on Titan, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Madoka Magica and so on.

Now I'll go ahead and give a rundown of nearly all of the games released so far, and the best ways for you to get into them.

maxresdefault.jpg

Playstation Era (All games also given arcade releases first, and 1-4 were also ported to the Dreamcast.)
  • Pop'n Music (1998)
  • Pop'n Music 2 (March 1999)
  • Pop'n Music 3 (September 1999)
  • Pop'n Music 4 (March 2000)
  • Pop'n Music 5 (November 2000)
  • Pop'n Music 6 (April 2001)
title.gif

Playstation 2 Era

• Pop'n Music 7 (November 2001)
  • Pop'n Music Best Hits! (February 2003)
  • Pop'n Music 8 (July 2003)
  • Pop'n Music 9 (February 2004)
  • Pop'n Music 10 (November 2004)
  • Pop'n Music 11 (July 2005)
  • Pop'n Music 12 いろは (March 2006)
  • Pop'n Music 13 CARNIVAL (September 2006)
  • Pop'n Music 14 FEVER! (Arcade release 2006, PS2 release July 2007)
latest

Arcade-Only Era
  • Pop'n Music 15 ADVENTURE (April 2007)
  • Pop'n Music 16 PARTY♪ (March 2008)
  • Pop'n Music 17 THE MOVIE (March 2009)
  • Pop'n Music 18 せんごく列伝 (January 2010)
  • Pop'n Music 19 TUNE STREET (December 2010)
  • Pop'n Music 20 fantasia (July 2011)
  • Pop'n Music 21 Sunny Park (December 2012)
  • Pop'n Music 22 Lapistoria (June 2014)
  • Pop'n Music 23 éclale (November 2015)
  • Pop'n Music 24 Usagi to Neko to Shounen no Yume (December 2016)
Beyond these, there are many spin-off titles that have been released through the years, such as ANIMELO, Portable, Utacchi and so on.

One burning question that may be with you currently is: "How can I get into these games?"
Unfortunately, the vast majority of the titles mentioned remain exclusive to Japan, with very scarce international imports of the cabinets. One very useful tool to find these cabinets is zenius-i-vanisher.com's arcade finder page. Scroll down to the search area, then click the series dropdown and select "pop'n music." This will bring up every arcade in the world that has a pop'n music cabinet running. The majority of these in the United States appear to be contained in New York and Southern California.

1591165edb.png

The next best method, if you just so happen to have a Playstation 2 and a few hundred dollars lying around, is to import any of the PS2-era games. This will require hacking your PS2 to remove the region locking if you have a non-Japanese unit. You can find sales pages for import copies on Amazon, Play-Asia and eBay. Fever is the newest game in the PS2 era, so you may want to consider picking this one up the most. As for the controller, it is simply waaaaaaay too much to import a pre-made controller as well. Luckily, if you don't mind getting down and dirty, there is a guide available for building your own controller, complete with PS2 parts + cable. It can be found here.

That about wraps up this first post, I hope you were properly informed and are now maybe even interested in checking these games out.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Oh mab ive been interested in thai series ever since i read about it some time ago
What would u say are the best games in the series to play?

dubsky

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Oh mab ive been interested in thai series ever since i read about it some time ago
What would u say are the best games in the series to play?
It really depends on the track lists each game has. Mechanically the games don't have too much of a difference, so you should be fine with just jumping into any that you can. I'd recommend taking a look at each game's entry in the Pop'n Wiki, as the full tracklists are viewable in each game's page on there. Do keep in mind that on top of this a lot of songs are brought back from previous entries, especially the immediate predecessor to whichever entry you pick.
As for the tracklists themselves, pretty much all of the games have their own hidden gems. Hell, my favorite track in the entire series comes from Pop'n 12, a game I haven't even gotten the chance to play yet.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So what you're saying is that I should buy all the PS2 games? ;P

Thanks for the info will look up the soundtracks of the games.

dubsky

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
So what you're saying is that I should buy all the PS2 games? ;P

Thanks for the info will look up the soundtracks of the games.
Not all, but you should be fine with just picking up whatever one that'll set you back the least.
Though if that isn't too big of a problem, I'd recommend picking up Fever, as it's the last game released on the PS2 and as such has the largest tracklist available.
You can find the full tracklist here:
https://remywiki.com/Pop'n_music_14_FEVER!_Full_Song_List

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey, had no idea this thread was going to go up! Watching.

If anyone is interested, we have a music game players Discord we've been using for a few weeks now. PM me if you want an invite!

Oct 25, 2017
oh neat, pop'n thread

been playing CS for a couple years now and started being able to play AC locally this year. right now i'm working through (modern scale) 47s

please play pop'n. not enough people play pop'n

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
The three times I played Pop'n it was awesome. Out of all the Bemani Music Games, it's easily the one I wish I could play the most.

dubsky

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
oh neat, pop'n thread

been playing CS for a couple years now and started being able to play AC locally this year. right now i'm working through (modern scale) 47s

please play pop'n. not enough people play pop'n
I'm in South Florida so unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any arcades near me with a cabinet, so my best bet is probably gonna have to be building my own controller.
I have heard that people have brought cabinets to cons before, I do have Supercon where I am so I might have to check that out at some point, though I won't get my hopes up for that specifically.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, what a great OP!

Pop'n has been a constant in my life since ~2005 when I built this thing

I've owned a DJ Dao a couple times but I've always wanted a cabinet of my own. After a few deals falling through I was finally able to import one this year

I even got DJ Dao to retweet it, haha

I haven't had a lot of time to play it lately, but I love it and I'd only see myself getting rid of it for an HD cab, but for that price, I think I'd rather get an IIDX.

Also, Pop'n 24 is ugly as sin :(

dubsky

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Yo, what a great OP!

Pop'n has been a constant in my life since ~2005 when I built this thing

I've owned a DJ Dao a couple times but I've always wanted a cabinet of my own. After a few deals falling through I was finally able to import one this year

I even got DJ Dao to retweet it, haha

I haven't had a lot of time to play it lately, but I love it and I'd only see myself getting rid of it for an HD cab, but for that price, I think I'd rather get an IIDX.

Also, Pop'n 24 is ugly as sin :(
Wow, someone's rolling deep. I'm insanely jealous over that cab.
How long did it take you to make the DIY controller? Would you recommend it?

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, someone's rolling deep. I'm insanely jealous over that cab.
How long did it take you to make the DIY controller? Would you recommend it?
I only keep it around because it has sentimental value.

I'd only recommend it if you already have the tools and are more interested in the building it yourself aspect. Otherwise I'd just wait till Dao has some controllers for sale from his US shipping site.

By the way, I don't live in SoFla anymore but I used to be a Manager at The Nexus. From what I understand our old Pop'n Music cab is now at some place called Bird Bowl? It's been a few years since I've heard that but I'd check it out if youre close.

Last edited:

dubsky

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I only keep it around because it has sentimental value.

I'd only recommend it if you already have the tools and are more interested in the building it your aspect. Otherwise I'd just wait till Dao has some controllers for sale from his US shipping site.

By the way, I don't live in SoFla anymore but I used to be a Manager at The Nexus. From what I understand our old Pop'n Music cab is now at some place called Bird Bowl? It's been a few years since I've heard that but I'd check it out if youre close.
4adc1a6034.png

I think this is it. Never heard of it before but I'll definitely give it a look next time I happen to be in Miami.
That's really cool though, thanks for the pointer.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I've been waiting the past ~5 months for Black Friday or Christmas, both of which last year DJ Dao controllers were put on sale to get my hands on a Pop'n controller for a more reasonable price. Nervous looking at the US Warehouse stock.
It's a shame as beyond the need for (and my lack of) powertools and woodcutting skills, Pop'n controllers are the most simplistic to DIY as it's just a box with 9 holes, no need to worry about dials or turntables, yet the most expensive base Dao controller, aside from Jubeat.
And the official home controller isn't arcade accurate in the slightest (the mini one). By comparison I was able to pick up a Beatmania controller for only $30 which is already very close, which I was then able to mod samduck buttons into with a few days of dremeling into it. Awesome controller for under $100, though I still need to figure out a base for it (I was thinking of gluing 1inch wooden blocks).
Speaking of buttons, I've read that the buttons that the Dao controller comes with is prone to sticking and that the samduck pop'n buttons are a huge upgrade.

I adore the aesthetic of Pop'n and the music selection is really refreshing, and the 2-Player 3 button mode is super cool for casual play. Hope I can dig into it late this month.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
The buttons alone are why the controller is expensive. It's actually quite difficult to get buttons of that form factor that play well enough; the market is flooded with cheap knockoffs that work fine in redemption games but control terribly for a music game requiring timing precision. I haven't personally tried Samduck but a full set of Sanwa buttons ran me nearly $300 all things considered, but it was the only button we tried that we were happy with.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had sticking issues with my DAO, but the buttons are totally different than AC. They're raised higher, less sensitive, and significantly louder.

It looks excellent and is a really well made controller, but it's hard to justify the cost when you're going to spend the same price replacing the buttons with Sanwas (like StarCreator said, I think it's the only way to go.) Building from scratch and getting Sanwas is probably the most practical option to get as close to AC at home.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The buttons alone are why the controller is expensive. It's actually quite difficult to get buttons of that form factor that play well enough; the market is flooded with cheap knockoffs that work fine in redemption games but control terribly for a music game requiring timing precision. I haven't personally tried Samduck but a full set of Sanwa buttons ran me nearly $300 all things considered, but it was the only button we tried that we were happy with.
Last time I looked into it, I was under the impression that DAO uses istmall's 'IST 401' buttons, which sell for 7,200 won, or about $6.50, assuming they don't get a bulk discount. I'm not sure if that's true, or why they would when samduck's seem to be much better received at an increase of only 300 won, but assuming that is the price they get them at then the set of nine shouldn't cost them any more than $60. They definitely aren't using Sanwas, at least.
During their long summer sale I missed it was $219 US shipped compared to the current $289, I think it's more that they hold an effective monopoly and that they aren't a huge seller, myself. More niche, more expensive. IIRC they've sold less than 20 from their US warehouse the past 5 months, assuming no restocks.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unlike DDR, Pop'n features the FULL version of Daikenkai!

Played Pop'n Music for the first time at an arcade convention and I IMMEDIATELY recognized the anime dude. I was like "No way it's...IT IS!"

My brother and sister weren't into much at that convention but they LOVED Pop'n Music, afterwards tried to find out how much it would cost to get a home version and...well that dream died fast.