• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
There are a lot of them who are genuine leftists, AfterEllen for example is still a genuine feminist left wing site, it's just a site that also happens to hate trans people.

There is a huge risk at just acting like all the trans hate is a product of the right wing...

How are they on the bisexual women front ?

TERFs are basically 3 big pillars of hating on sex workers, bisexuals and trans women.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess TERFism happens once you engage in radicalism but only up to a certain point in time. Once you permanently lock yourself into the perspective of, say, the 80s, you actually become a conservative.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
oooh I thought TERFs were like exclusively on the left (US left) because they are "feminists"

Some are and some aren't.

TERFs do try to at least frame it as feminist. A TERF tries to tell you that a feminist should oppose transgender people to keep women's spaces free of penis. Alt-righters and other traditionally right-wing transphobes just appeal to "nature" and basically the same arguments homophobes gave 10 years ago.

In reality of course it's a mixed bag. If you go on a TERF subreddit like r/GenderCritical it's the one place you can see alt-reichers who think women should be a slave class and ludicrous misandrists who unironically discuss exterminating men more or less cohabiting.

Ombra

Jan 22, 2018
User Banned (1 month): Transphobia
What debate is there to be had? That trans women are somehow erasing lesbians by merely existing? That argument has about as much weight as the argument that black people are erasing white people by merely existing, which is to say it has absolutely no basis in reality and is just bigoted garbage.
When you're done putting words in my mouth and using the trite and true sexual orientation / race analogy, hit my PM's if you really want to know my thoughts.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol for some reason the UK is like saruman's orc breeding cave for legions of the most vitriolic terfs on the planet, what the fuck is in their water

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Whilst it's anecdotal I've seen TERFS be friendly to Jordan Peterson when he's referenced their articles/books. It wouldn't surprise me if there are some parts of the community that consider their anti-trans agenda more significant than their 'feminism'.
I'm pretty sure they believe trans women are a world-wide conspiracy by biological men to subjugate women by replacing them.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
There's been some interesting research showing that the TERF rise in the UK has been astroturfed by American evangelicals to weaken feminism and attack transgender women. The idea being that you lie about who you are to sew these hideous TERFy ideas about bathroom attacks and such to divide and conquer.