• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.wweek.com/news/city/201...right-wing-organizer-read-all-the-texts-here/

Read this if you need a refresher on the Patriot Prayer assholes. You can read all the texts at the link. They are really disturbing!

Choice excerpts:

In the wake of WW's reporting on texts between a Portland Police lieutenant and Patriot Prayer organizer Joey Gibson, Portland's mayor and a city commissioner have condemned the content of the texts and called for internal and external investigations of the Police Bureau's contact with the right-wing group.

Mayor Ted Wheeler says he directed Police Chief Danielle Outlaw to conduct a "thorough investigation" of bureau communications with Patriot Prayer, a right-wing protest group that has frequently drawn white supremacists and other extremists to its rallies.

"The released text messages, which I learned about in today's Willamette Week, are disturbing," the mayor said in a statement. "It is imperative for law enforcement to remain objective and professional, and in my opinion, these text messages appear to cross several boundaries. They also raise questions about whether warrants are being enforced consistently and what information is being shared with individuals who may be subject to arrest."

Money quote from city commissioner Jo-Ann Hardesty (who just so happens to be the first and only African-American on Portland's city council):

"I am not shocked, and I am not surprised at today's reporting of Lt. Jeff Niiya's collaboration with Patriot Prayer leader Joey Gibson over text to provide aid and support for their hate marches," Hardesty said in a statement. "This story, like many that have come before it, simply confirms what many in the community have already known – there are members of the Portland police force who work in collusion with right-wing extremists. The time for indignation and feigned outrage is past, and the time for meaningful accountability is here. "

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This BTW makes Portland PD directly or partly responsible for the stabbing murder on transit during that first march.

Edit. Reading all the links - if Niiya is able to keep his job. Wow. He literally identified, located and sicced Nazis on peaceful unrelated protests and effectively promised not to arrest specific individuals, all while complaining about the leadership of "antifa" which he seems to think is everyone except Nazis and cops.

Does make you think hard about Trump's "very fine people on both sides" - he said that days after the Charlottsville murder - so instead of speaking from the usual top of his head reflex or ignorance, he'd been briefed and discussing how to avoid throwing organized Nazi groups under the bus. And specific individuals. Not the normal red meat for the base broad acceptance of racism, but specific protection of the Nazi organizers and that underlying movement. I suspect that Miller is heavily involved in that kid of briefing.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The police are in league with white supremacists?

Nooooo.

Couldn't be!

OP
OP
Cat Party

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Strong words, but they're still only that - words. I'll believe that they'll be held accountable when it actually happens.
I think the mayor of Portland is a good dude. But like most everywhere else, state laws unreasonably protect police officers from punishment. The mayor is the police commissioner, but under state law, he can't actually fire cops, even for cause!

I'm hopeful that the state laws will be changed because of this, and some other recent situations around here.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just typed this out in the Portland thread.

I'm fucking pissed. It's been pretty obvious for a while that something fishy was happening, but ffs. Ted Wheeler needs to resign as Police Commissioner. Chief Outlaw (like, fucking seriously with that name?) needs to get fired as well. The whole PPD needs some housecleaning.

Oct 27, 2017
I just typed this out in the Portland thread.

I'm fucking pissed. It's been pretty obvious for a while that something fishy was happening, but ffs. Ted Wheeler needs to resign as Police Commissioner. Chief Outlaw (like, fucking seriously with that name?) needs to get fired as well. The whole PPD needs some housecleaning.
1. That name is radical.
2. I wasn't expecting a woman of color to be a police chief in Portland.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jo-Ann Hardesty continues to be the best member of city council. I'm very happy with my vote for her. She also delayed a settlement to a racist cop who "joked" about shooting black people.
Captain Mike Kruger of Portland PD erected memorials to fallen Nazi soldiers in the early 00's. Yup.
Others have also detailed a history of him being a nazi sympathizer as well. And Portland gave him an extra payday, and wiped his record clean because someone dared to (accurately) call him a nazi.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I still feel like saying white supremacists infiltrated law enforcement is like saying tomatoes infiltrated marinara sauce

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I still feel like saying white supremacists infiltrated law enforcement is like saying tomatoes infiltrated marinara sauce

No doubt. I remember a cop on back on gaf making a thread about getting invited to a massive private Facebook group for police and it was apparently really bad.

He asked for advice and then had the thread closed. Clearly nothing came of it.

"some of those that work forces..."

Oct 27, 2017
In the wake of WW's reporting on texts between a Portland Police lieutenant and Patriot Prayer organizer Joey Gibson, Portland's mayor and a city commissioner have condemned the content of the texts and called for internal and external investigations of the Police Bureau's contact with the right-wing group.

I can already give you a preview of the internal investigation's results
tenor.gif