• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool, xxracerxx is taking us out on a boat.
a5ff10e1-d3da-4ee6-a3osjog.jpg

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best. If I had the space to store one, I would buy one as well since they are surprisingly not that much.
I had an old sorta affiliated program manager who had one, and invited me and some other teammates out on it one summer afternoon. It was absofuckinglutely superb. I work from home these days, so I don't really have the same office/socializing benefit. Frankly, I don't socialize nearly as much as I used to. If anyone wants to meet up and watch a Timbers game, hit me up hahaha. I've (FINALLY! AFTER SEVEN YEARS!) got a Timbers Army season ticket, so yeah.

_swee_

Oct 26, 2017
Portland OR
I had an old sorta affiliated program manager who had one, and invited me and some other teammates out on it one summer afternoon. It was absofuckinglutely superb. I work from home these days, so I don't really have the same office/socializing benefit. Frankly, I don't socialize nearly as much as I used to. If anyone wants to meet up and watch a Timbers game, hit me up hahaha. I've (FINALLY! AFTER SEVEN YEARS!) got a Timbers Army season ticket, so yeah.
I soooo wanna go to one but damn tickets are crazy pricey. My physical therapy office is right across the street from Providence park and seeing the new addition to the stadium is nice

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I soooo wanna go to one but damn tickets are crazy pricey. My physical therapy office is right across the street from Providence park and seeing the new addition to the stadium is nice
It's pretty easy to get tickets for face value the day of, provided you go to the right places. Surprisingly, Twitter is actually good for this, and the Facebook exchange page is excellent as well. It's also possible to get some at the Fanladen (Google it).

BadAlchemy

May 2, 2019
I don't want to stereotype, because just the other week I met a perfectly wonderful and fantastic TSA agent, but at the same time I have a hard time being surprised when an ICE contractor turns out to be a fascist.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
Cinetopia shutters all three Portland-area movie theaters
Whoa! Didn't see this coming. All the Cinetopia locations are shutdown. Went to the one in Progress Ridge all the time for tightwad Tuesdays. Wouldn't mind in the slightest if AMC buys them out and upgrades the theaters to Dolby Cinema and Atmos though.
You should check out Studio One in Southwest Powell. From what I heard, it's the guy who originally started cinetopia and it just opened earlier this year.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Cinetopia shutters all three Portland-area movie theaters
Whoa! Didn't see this coming. All the Cinetopia locations are shutdown. Went to the one in Progress Ridge all the time for tightwad Tuesdays. Wouldn't mind in the slightest if AMC buys them out and upgrades the theaters to Dolby Cinema and Atmos though.

You should check out Studio One in Southwest Powell. From what I heard, it's the guy who originally started cinetopia and it just opened earlier this year.

EDIT: TangoTango beat me to it!

Oddly enough I just had a conversation about Cinetopia this past weekend with an employee of Studio One Theaters. Apparently the owners of Studio One were the original owners of Cinetopia before they sold to AMC. AMC then promptly let a ton of people go. The former owners then opened Studio One. I highly recommend checking the place out. It is SE on 39th and Powell. We saw John Wick 3 last weekend and the place is cushy as hell. Tickets aren't bad either and movies before noon are 5 bucks.

hNJf1TV.jpg

We were in one of the larger chaise/bed type seats below.
d5poj2f.jpg

We walked around and saw a couple of their other auditoriums (we were in the New York room which I believe is their largest) and one has a chaise swing mounted to the ceiling! Waiters before the film, very awesome staff, ours was actually a former Cinetopia Vancouver employee that they snatched up for this place. Definitely recommend it!!

My only issue had nothing to do with the theater itself... Sadly the guy and his date that were next to us apparently thought Living Room Style theater meant MY Living Room Style theater. He was awful.

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
TangoTango Doombear I actually saw End Game at Studio One. Probably one of the better theater experiences I've had out here. Definitely will be going back and also checking out their $5 matinees. While on the topic Bagdad is a def. classic and go to staple too. Just thought the Cinetopia closures was a surprising bit of news.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear positive impressions for Studio One. I've got tickets to see Detective Pikachu there.

I like the Bagdad as well, but not my preferred place to see popular movies on opening weekend.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah SP33Dl2acer I definitely would have been a bit more surprised by that news had I not just spoken with the guy at Studio One last week! I remember 7 or 8 years ago when I started going to the one in Vancouver (it was the only one back then) it felt like a truly unique experience. Of course it wasn't long after that that the chain theaters revamped and started yanking seats out and putting the lounge style chairs in, and rolling out reserved seats.

We have some fond memories of Cinetopia from back then.

I am actually happy that Studio One exists though, and that style isn't completely gone. Of course there is Living Room Theaters downtown by Powell's, but that place is kind of a mix between the two styles. It's still very structured as far as layout but it has restaurant style dining. Studio One is much closer to me in the SE, so it's great.

Anyway, I'll stop talking about it now =) Enjoy the movies everyone!

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Didn't they renovate it in the past year or so?
I'm not sure exactly when but there's two big new rooms now, one with a huge projector and a second bar. Pretty slick, I had a lot of fun. Slightly disappointed in the lack of 4-player games, especially racers.

Not having a 4-player arcade racer in an arcade, even Rush 2049 or something, should be a crime.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Well this was a little wild.

The ol' NE was living through a tropical storm for a bit there this afternoon.
My wife was watching this out our back window and saying "that looks like a tornado... what the fuck are we supposed to do for a tornado?" This is the Pacific Northwest dammit. We know how to handle earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, general flooding and wild fires; tornadoes are a complete mystery. It touched down about a mile or two from us, and really did look like it was gearing up to drop directly on the house. So, yeah.... that was cool, I guess? It actually struck the neighborhood of the most recent hire in my department, and I don't have his contact info to make sure he's OK. Scary stuff.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

My wife was watching this out our back window and saying "that looks like a tornado... what the fuck are we supposed to do for a tornado?" This is the Pacific Northwest dammit. We know how to handle earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, general flooding and wild fires; tornadoes are a complete mystery. It touched down about a mile or two from us, and really did look like it was gearing up to drop directly on the house. So, yeah.... that was cool, I guess? It actually struck the neighborhood of the most recent hire in my department, and I don't have his contact info to make sure he's OK. Scary stuff.
Yeah that would be pretty scary.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
He's OK, but the path of the tornado fell within a block of where he lives. It took down a tree and some power lines and he was without power for the entire night. Apparently it's the same neighborhood where a water main exploded in March and flooded several blocks. I think I would take that as a sign that some higher power was trying to force me out of my home but he seems pretty optimistic about things.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I think we need to have a Portland meetup once that Round 1 arcade opens in Vancouver. I hope they have plenty of driving games!

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What makes Round 1 better than Ground Kontrol? It looks to be one of those arcades that have the mega sized games that are pretty terrible.