• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Random question since I know many of you are knowledgeable on food around Portland: Anywhere make a deep fried Monte Cristo? I swear anymore the only ones made are the pan friend french toast style but I've been wanting a deep fried one and haven't spotted one on a menu yet. I haven't looked super hard but I keep my eyes out on occasion with no luck.

VuiP0un.jpg

Only this weekend sadly, but hopefully Nightlight does this again cause damn.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Roads are fine as of now up off Williams and Killingsworth. Hope this changes overnight, hahah.

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I wanted to work from home and thankfully the snow gave me a double reason to do so. Not only could I argue I just didn't want to walk both ways in the snow but 30 minutes before I was thinking of starting I got a call that the office was closing early.

Thankfully now I almost never drive so snow isn't that big of an issue. I live a block away from Fred Meyer so I can easily walk over and get anything if we do get a bunch of snow as I saw predicted earlier.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of that general area, have you checked out the dive bar Pops? I was there drunk one evening and think I like it.
Tis the Oregon way.
No! I moved up here a few months ago from SE and I still have tons of exploring to do. I'll check it out!

Does anyone know of any good soccer bars in the area? I'm getting laid off in a month and I can't seem to find any, so I was thinking that maybe it's time for a change and I should open one.

Also, does anyone know what makes up the sauce that goes on the green machine? I had one the other night and I can't figure it out. I think it's an aioli with cilantro and sweet chile sauce?

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
Driving up to Portland from Corvallis tomorrow morning for work, so hoping it's all a bunch of hype and the roads are fine. What're my chances?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Yeah, I know both of those. I was thinking something similar to 442 but without the shitty owner. I'm not really a fan of Prost.
Bazi Bierbrasserie, just off Hawthorne on 32nd, has an excellent selection of European ales (strong emphasis towards Belgian) and they always have soccer playing. Granted, I haven't been there in a year or more, but they had pretty good food as well. Not cheap, but if you like soccer, they tend to have it running on a projector.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Hey portlanders, gonna be in Portland for a few days in may. What are the top coffee spots to check out? I've had Stumptown based on availability in Southern California, nothing else. I'll probably yelp it but I want to know the must visits.

You guys have a great OT, can't wait to visit for my second time.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Hey portlanders, gonna be in Portland for a few days in may. What are the top coffee spots to check out? I've had Stumptown based on availability in Southern California, nothing else. I'll probably yelp it but I want to know the must visits.

You guys have a great OT, can't wait to visit for my second time.

Portland roasting is one of my favorites. But I'm not real picky about coffee, so I don't know how coffee snobs rank them.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind "not picky" I'm more of a snob than my gf. If it's got a good environment (the store itself and some surrounding shop areas) and solid coffee, we're set.

Any shops must sees in Portland? I'm a nerd and we both like shopping for clothes. We're easy to please tbh.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind "not picky" I'm more of a snob than my gf. If it's got a good environment (the store itself and some surrounding shop areas) and solid coffee, we're set.

Any shops must sees in Portland? I'm a nerd and we both like shopping for clothes. We're easy to please tbh.
Coffee Time and Commissary have good atmosphere and relatively close to each other. My GF loves their lattes.

Guardian Games is an overwhelming board game/hobby shop.
Game Knight is a board game bar.
Pioneer mall has some decent clothing boutiques and the consignment shops in Portland are really good.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe check out Upper Playground and Compound next door to it if it seems interesting to you and you'll be downtown.

Kiriko a shop opened by Compound's owner is also worth checking out for something a little different.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

If you like books at all, you have to visit Powell's. It's a massive bookstore in downtown Portland, pretty conveniently located to other downtown attractions.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Going out to portland for the first week of may! What are some must dos?
Perfect weather for outdoor stuff:

-Japanese Gardens and Rose Gardens (rose is free and Japanese has a fee, but also has guides for history/info).
-lots of parks and trail - really can't go wrong with any.
-just go walking and exploring around downtown and Pearl districts.

I'm always on the lookout for recommendations as well, haha

_swee_

Oct 26, 2017
Portland OR
Weather is hit or miss until like June/July, that's when it gets warmer. Might be some rain here or there but should be in the 50's or low 60's.

Like what is it that you are wanting to do here?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Weather is hit or miss until like June/July, that's when it gets warmer. Might be some rain here or there but should be in the 50's or low 60's.

Like what is it that you are wanting to do here?

Food and sight seeing. We're there for a job interview but are going to be staying for almost a week.

_swee_

Oct 26, 2017
Portland OR
Food and sight seeing. We're there for a job interview but are going to be staying for almost a week.

Food:
Alder st. Food Cart Pod
SW 5th and Stark Food Cart Pod
Tasty and Sons (brunch)
Screen Door (southern)

Neighborhoods: they will have tons of food options and bars
Alberta
Hollywood
Boise
Hawthorne
The Pearl
Division Street
Mississippi Ave

Sightseeing:
Japanese Gardens
Washington Park
Forest Park
4T Trail is a hike that will take you through the city as you take the train, tram, trolley, hike
Providence Park for Timbers game
Walk the waterfront
Walk the pedestrian bridge
Powell's books
Ground kontrol

More info:
https://www.travelportland.com/things-to-do/

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Food:
Alder st. Food Cart Pod
SW 5th and Stark Food Cart Pod
Tasty and Sons (brunch)
Screen Door (southern)

Neighborhoods: they will have tons of food options and bars
Alberta
Hollywood
Boise
Hawthorne
The Pearl
Division Street
Mississippi Ave

Sightseeing:
Japanese Gardens
Washington Park
Forest Park
4T Trail is a hike that will take you through the city as you take the train, tram, trolley, hike
Providence Park for Timbers game
Walk the waterfront
Walk the pedestrian bridge
Powell's books
Ground kontrol

More info:
https://www.travelportland.com/things-to-do/

Thanks!

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
msdstc go get a Korean Pork Shoulder sandwich from Lardo (there is one downtown and one on Hawthorne). It may be my favorite sandwich in town.
x4isuj.jpg

My mouth waters just thinking about it.

Last edited: