• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
cFXiInW.png
(Banner credit goes to SP33Dl2acer)

And with the thread title, the Portlandia reference and Era reference criteria for the thread are met.

Welcome fellow Portlanders! As a Beavertonian, I'm being pretty liberal with what qualifies as "Portlander." If you live here, work here, play here, or want to do any of the above, welcome!

Local Resources
Whether you're a long-time resident or a newcomer, you'll find something to like in this list! The regional icons are taken from the original Downtown transit mall. Trimet has stopped using them on signs, but you can still see them around Downtown in various places.

akTga4C.png

Bar
Food
svDo6zo.png

Bar
Comedy
Food
Parks & Rec
fSeTwoV.png

Bar
Food
Parks & Rec
38IxaSx.png

Food
Parks & Rec
ccBvzUP.png

Bar
Comedy
Food
Parks & Rec

Contributing
The links we have are contributed by people in the community. If you've got a spot of any kind you want to recommend, please use the following format:
Code:
[URL='SITE_URL']SITE_NAME[/URL] TYPE [[URL='YELP_URL']Yelp | [URL='MAPS_URL']Map[/URL]]
Legend:
  • SITE_URL is the URL of the location's website, if they have one. If they don't, use the Yelp link.
  • SITE_NAME is the name of the place
  • TYPE is something descriptive of the venue's genre, if applicable. Like for a restaurant, it'd be the type of food; for a music club, the style of music.
  • YELP_URL is the URL for the spot's Yelp review page. Yelp sets up a different page for different locations, so make sure you grab the right one.
  • MAPS_URL is a Google Maps link.
TIP: For the Google Maps link, all you need to do is urlencode the street address as a single line and append it to the URL below:
Code:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/

Example: the address "123 Any St, Portland, OR 97215" would end up looking like:
Code:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/123+Any+St,+Portland,+OR+97215
Following this template makes it easy for me to copy/paste it into the OP.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gblues

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
So a bit about me—I was born in Portland and lived in one part of town or another until 2004. Moved back in 2013 and have lived in Beaverton ever since.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Here we go again! I've heard good things about 4-4-2 on Hawthorne, Dart. I haven't been there myself though. I also have been meaning to check out The Toffee Club (also on Hawthorne).

Last edited:

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Weird kept searching for a Portland OT, but couldn't find it til now for some reason. I was seriously about to make one myself LOL. Glad I didn't though. Lemme know if you need any graphics or help building out the OP gblues. I was decently active on the thread on that other site under a different name.

Anyways checking in from deep SW, like Tigard, Durham, Tualatin deep.

Excited for Portland-ERA!

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone hit up the PRGE or Depeche Mode or... any of the other fine things that have taken place in the last few days? Took my daughter to the Retro Gaming Expo again this year. It felt, I don't know, a bit smaller this year? I can't really say for certain. I'd be interested to see some numbers. That night she took ME to see Poppy at Hawthorne Theatre. Oh... goodness. I am pretty sure I am in a Cult of Poppy now.

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went to PRGE with a few friends. It felt a lot more crowded to me, but I also get overwhelmed by crowds so maybe I just interpreted it wrong. Still was a blast though, as it is every year.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I should have been a little more specific. I feel like the overall space they were given was the same, but this year it seemed like the Ground Kontrol / Pinball / Arcade side was larger and quite busy but there seemed to be less vendor space/fewer vendors? I could be totally wrong about last year. Either way, yes, we had a great time too! Didn't end up getting much for myself, but grabbed a Junes T-Shirt and a few other things for others. Not a whole lot on my lists these days, and most of my PS1/2 collection is where I want it.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely had more vendors at the PRGE this year. Some had to be pushed over the arcade side. It also felt busier to me, but I only go Sunday morning. It's a fun time and I think it would be cool if, in the future, they are able to convince some publishers/devs to show up with new games, to make it more of an event. Some people would hate that, I'm sure, but it seems like Portland is ripe for a true games show.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we were just there early enough on Saturday that it seemed a bit easier to move around! That's awesome though. They deserve it. I definitely loved it in the past where there were bigger dev/publisher areas. First time I was introduced to Killer Queen was at a past PGRE. Same with Behemoth games, I believe they had an early playable floor demo of Battleblock Theater one year. It was great.

I know we have a ridiculous amount of people in the comic industry (artists, writers, Oni, Dark Horse, etc.) here in town, I am actually not too sure how we fare with gaming industry professionals.

arecibo

Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
Salem here, hope you'll allow me to join in the fun! Went up to PRGE last Sunday for the excellent Retronauts panel.

OP
OP
gblues

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
OK, food spots are posted!

I went through the old OP and:
- Removed locations that were closed
- Updated dead links
- Got Yelp links for every spot
- Got Google Maps links for every spot

I might eventually remove the "South" section since there really isn't an official South portland, and might rename "West" to "Northwest". I'm leaving them as-is mainly so I don't lose the imgur links.

OP
OP
gblues

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Well, to be fair, so was the old OP. ;)

If there's anything you'd like added to it, lemme know. As long as it's not a dumb Portlandia reference.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Huzzah! Let me just pull out my Portland credentials... Born in Milwaukie (Oregon, not the one people actually know about in Wisconsin), but my parents dragged me back over to inner Southeast within a couple hours of birth. Grew up in the Hawthorne neighborhood. Went to Sunnyside Elementary even though I was in the Buckman neighborhood solely because my parents were nervous about me crossing TWO busy streets as opposed to one. Mt. Tabor Middle School, Franklin High School, Lewis & Clark College. I've lived in Portland my entire life save 5 months in Springfield, MA (if you ever get a chance to go to Springfield, pass). Now I'm in NoPo near the Mississippi district.

As to the OP, how about adding in the stuff tourists always ask about? Powell's Books, Ground Kontrol, maybe Multnomah Falls. A lot of times I saw this thread getting bumped with the "going to be in Portland for a couple days, what should I do," so having a FAQ for that seems like a good idea (obviously the restaurant piece is already in place). It doesn't help that as a local, whenever people ask me what sights they should see, I manage to draw a complete blank.

We need to flesh out the North Portland restaurant list. Tasty n Sons, Kayo Ramen, Ecliptic Brewing, Life of Pie Pizza... There's some good stuff around here.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
I think that makes sense. Maybe even links to things like Tri Met or Car Share sites. I agree that largely traffic was spurred on most recently by people that were visiting or interested in moving out here.

Don't know that I'd want to make it a list of hotels and the like, but some transit and city/neighborhood info would be useful to most to nearly everyone!

OP
OP
gblues

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Yeah the tourist-y stuff from the old OP is next to go up. Probably this evening.

For specific spots (like, say, Rock and Roll Chili Pit), use the following format:
Code:
[URL='LINK']NAME[/URL] TYPE [[URL='YELP_LINK']Yelp[/URL] | [URL='MAPS_LINK']Map[/URL]]
Legend:
  • LINK is the link to the spot's homepage
  • NAME is the name of the spot
  • TYPE is a genre description, like for the food spots it would be the food style; for a music club it'd be the style of music, etc.
  • YELP_LINK is self-explanatory. Make sure you grab the link for the actual site you're linking since Yelp creates separate pages for separate locations of the same restaurant.
  • MAPS_LINK is a link to Google Maps
Tip: to keep the MAPS_LINK from being ginormous, just take the street address and append it to the url below, replacing spaces with '+':
Code:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/
So if a place is at 6000 Browns Ave, Portland, OR 97206, the link would look like:
Code:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/6000+Browns+Ave,Portland,+OR+97206

Following these instructions means I can just quote your post and copy/paste the UBB into the OP.

I'll edit the above into the OP in a "contributions" section.

OP
OP
gblues

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Oof.

The restaurant list was actually surprisingly stable--there were maybe 3-4 places that had to be cut.
The comedy list fared far worse. Only two regular gigs are still going.

McNagah

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, I didn't even know there was a Portlandgaf. Currently in Vancouver WA and lived there for most of my life. Nice to meet my fellow people.