• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've eaten a lot of pizza so far this week. The best slice I've had by FAR was the Frito pie slice from Blackbird up north.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a sign about pizza week, but I don't know the significance of it. Do we get free pizza or something?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
just got back and a few things of note

Pros
- Caught the nice weather! Good amount of spots made for easy walking. Went to Powells and branched out from there
- Alberta street was nice. Stopped in some of the shops and grabbed some food, not bad!
- Friendly people everywhere. We had quite a few spark up conversation just passing by
- St. John's I think it was called? Great for walking around. We went out there for homegrown smoker (underwhelming unfortunately), and ended up loving the area. Stopped at a bar called "fixin' to". Nice area, rude af staff
- The mountains were scenic and pretty as expected

Cons
- The roads are pretty strange, I know that's funny coming from somebody from boston, but god damn I've never seen layouts like some parts of portland. Almost everything was a one way especially in the city. one thing that got me twice was getting onto one of the highways, it stays an exit off-ramp that leads you right to the oregon zoo. If you don't make your way over fairly quick you're stuck to that exit and the turnaround isn't for a couple miles. Coming back on that same path was strange as well since there were no lane changes allowed at a certain point, so if you don't know the area, ya fucked.
- "keep portland weird" is cool and all, but god damn we went to a place "Rimsky Korsakoffee". I get that it being run down and weird is part of the "charm", but what a dump.

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I don't think you'll get too many people defending road layouts. I still occasionally get caught on a surprise exit lane not aware I was needing to get over earlier and get stuck having to correct my directions.

But Boston is also a bit shit to drive in. I haven't done a ton of driving there, in total only a couple hours, but there was some really backwards behavior as well.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I don't think you'll get too many people defending road layouts. I still occasionally get caught on a surprise exit lane not aware I was needing to get over earlier and get stuck having to correct my directions.

But Boston is also a bit shit to drive in. I haven't done a ton of driving there, in total only a couple hours, but there was some really backwards behavior as well.

That's why I'm saying Boston is pretty awful as well, although that particular turnaround was absolutely brutal. Storrow is the worst I can think of in boston and they have exits everywhere to help mitigate the issue if you overshoot. The particular one that I got looped in twice added 10 minutes to my trip both times

_swee_

Oct 26, 2017
Portland OR
That's why I'm saying Boston is pretty awful as well, although that particular turnaround was absolutely brutal. Storrow is the worst I can think of in boston and they have exits everywhere to help mitigate the issue if you overshoot. The particular one that I got looped in twice added 10 minutes to my trip both times
Glad you had a good time. Yea, the roads aren't the best and in the city, it's mostly just one way streets.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Oregon has some of the most inadequate road signage in the entire US. You're constantly guessing which lane you need to be in. They've made some improvements in the ten years I've lived here but it used to be so stressful to drive into the city center when I was new.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
I need to try Pizza Jerk. Lately I can't stop eating Scottie's Pizza. Way more into the thinner NY style slices, but damn Ranch PDX looks pretty damn good as well. I keep hearing about both, gonna have to try one this weekend.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need to try Pizza Jerk. Lately I can't stop eating Scottie's Pizza. Way more into the thinner NY style slices, but damn Ranch PDX looks pretty damn good as well. I keep hearing about both, gonna have to try one this weekend.
Pizza Jerk is so fucking good. Their deep dish is incredible. I normally dig toppings on my pie but I can eat a cheese deep dish from there no problem.

Anyone going to the Timbers/Sounders rivalry game this weekend?

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
How's the rent on average throughout the area, has it gotten more expensive lately?

Are there any tech jobs there, specifically data science/machine learning?

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Anecdotally when my lease ended in Beaverton last October my new rate was $200/month more than the previous lease I was on. That was around a 15% increase from what I recall.

So yeah, rent is still going up.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know it's not just me that's all hyped up for these upcoming Samurai titles being shown at E3.

OQzlnnL.jpg

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Totally saw one today. Had no idea an ICE office was literally right next to my work.

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm trying to cut down on stuff I own since I'm moving in a couple weeks. Instead of going to the B/S/T thread I'd prefer to check if anyone in the Portland area would be interested in some gaming stuff before I try and get rid of it on Craigslist or whatever. I'm not really aiming to make much on most of the stuff as it's just things from collector's editions, I have two computer towers (one sealed and new, the other was opened with a couple panels popped off but ended up not using it), some older gaming consoles, etc.

I don't really want to list everything in here and make this thread a mess as it's not really the intended purpose but I'd also like folks in Portland to have a chance at this stuff before I attempt it on some strangers. Just PM if curious and feel free to give a general idea of what you may be interested in (older stuff, newer stuff, boxed PC games, computer parts, etc.).

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate those proud boy fucks. Why can't they just stay away from this city. Ugh

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
The Proud Boys and their pathetic friends are focusing on Portland because they know people will fight back. And having footage of violence in liberal cities is all that matters to them.

SynthFetish

Oct 27, 2017
Nosgoth, Leviathan
Meanwhile, apparently the police found a FUCKING GUN CACHE owned by patriot prayer people and they did nothing about it? WHAT THE FUCK.

https://www.oregonlive.com/expo/news/erry-2018/10/7d2bb561246607/what-we-know-about-patriot-pra.html

And the Oregonian also endorsed Knute Bueler or however you spell his name. Ughhhhh

This is seriously fucked up. Have no idea why the police just let this slide.

The Oregonian is owned by Advance Media which owns stake in a cable company, so make of that what you will.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And the Oregonian also endorsed Knute Bueler or however you spell his name. Ughhhhh
It was a complete bullshit endorsement, that tried to paint him as a moderate, and opened with lying about him being pro-choice. It never brought up any of his other awful positions, like being anti-immigrant, anti-vaccines, or pro death penalty. Such a garbage tier paper.

Edit: Forgot about Buehler also being against any serious measures to combat climate change. We can't afford a moron him to be in charge of anything.

Last edited:

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I hate Buehler on the merits but I really hate him because of his stupid ads that run on Hulu.

There's even an ad where his wife is talking about what a great guy he is. Yeah, no shit that your wife is voting for you, pal. No go away so I can watch the Good Place.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I hate Buehler on the merits but I really hate him because of his stupid ads that run on Hulu.

There's even an ad where his wife is talking about what a great guy he is. Yeah, no shit that your wife is voting for you, pal. No go away so I can watch the Good Place.
This is the problem with endorsements in general. I hate hate hate the way that information is pedaled in politics.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
PGRE time tomorrow. Super excited for that and the Talking Simpsons live show!

Also curious about what the Intellivision thing turns out to be.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Giving this the ol' bump to revel in election results. All the shitty measures failed, and Brown gets a full term and a supermajority in both chambers. Very excited to see what's coming down the pipe.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I was really surprised that 103 didn't pass, and it failed by a pretty large margin.

Usually if you say "no tax" people will let you do just about anything.