• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
If it's altered, it shouldn't be admissible, and anything that came from that evidence should be thrown out. If that's all they had to ID this man, then he should be free.

I'm 100% against what they did.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Old boy could have put makeup on before the robbery to hide his tats. Movie stars do it all the time and what have you. The guy in the mugshot looks dead on the guy in the bank videocam still shot. And i say this as a person thatbelieves implictlty that we have a enormous problem with police corruption in this country.

This is my thought. The cops should not have altered the photo and the DA should be forced to argue about such a possibility to a judge, though, full stop. Abuse of power out the ass to frame a suspect.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, the good cops:

dd0.png

Post should be used every time when talking about not all cops.

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are also people, an overwhelming majority, that are doing it for the right reasons.

If the majority of cops are good, why are not the majority of police officers decrying the murderers and otherwise lawless among them? They can't, you say, for they will be ostracized. But how can that happen... if the majority of them are good?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the majority of cops are good, why are not the majority of police officers decrying the murderers and otherwise lawless among them? They can't, you say, for they will be ostracized. But how can that happen... if the majority of them are good?
Right. Like if the argument is "well good cops can't speak up because the cops that do speak up are fired"...then you are basically admitting that being a 'good cop' (speaking up about abuses of power) requires one to no longer be a cop. So you've just admitted that remaining an officer means remaining complicit.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
The entire police organization is a gang and they can all fuck themselves. Every one of them should be in prison. Fuck the police. Better off without them.

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even if some random cop is a personally nice person, the job of the police is inherently immoral. So, ACAB.

Deleted member 11046

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A cop that doesn't uphold the law and/or knowingly allows it to be broken by other officers is a bad cop.
A cop that knowingly breaks the law is a bad cop.

Pretty easy, right? If we made a diagram the majority of police officers would fall in one of those two categories. "All" might sound hyperbolic if you're being pedantic, but if you've got to resort to semantics you already lost the point, the plot and the argument.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
This generalisation is just plain stupid.

You think you're better than Trump supporters when you call out every single cop as bad? Guess what, you're not. You're as brain dead as them.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
On Kitchen Nightmares, multiple cooks featured on the show know the basics of using ingredients to make food that can be consumed and digested. The show is pointedly about how that does not make these cooks good or decent at best. What the show and Ramsey reveal is that being a cook/resturaunt owner in general is about more than just doing the bare minimum. It requires multiple considerations beyond just having a kitchen, utensils, and ingredients. Several of the cooks anger Ramsey because they believe that just because their resturant exists, it means they are or should be respected when that isn't the truth. The same goes for law enforcement. Responding to killers, robberies and other crisies is literally the bare minimum of the job. People attend police academies being aware of this. The part that actually makes an officer good is how they relate to and build trust among their community, how they choose to address situations and most importantly how they respond to criminality that happens right in front of their faces. Being a good officer means actually caring enough about the integrity of the job and the citizens you have immense legal authority over to risk life and reputation to reinforce those very ideals. If you want to be insulted by people calling all cops bad, feel free. But the people in law enforcement across the country who turn a blind eye to these situations and say nothing in response while the levers are pulled to allow this corruption to continue are not good cops.

You think you're better than Trump supporters when you call out every single cop as bad? Guess what, you're not. You're as brain dead as them.
Yes we are better because we aren't in favor of or support policies that directly harm officers. We simply want them to do better at their jobs which we literally pay them for and which again isn't a religion, race, gender or sexuality.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
"if you don't add the disclaimer that not every single cop that exists is bad when you say "all cops" then you are just as bad as Trump supporters!"

What I just said but make it into that Spongebob meme.

Is every cop out there bad? Nah, some are even decent people, just trying to make a living. The problem is, the whole police institution is rotten to the core and anybody that participates in it is by extension part of the problem especially when it's extremely rare for a cop not to side against their "police family" even when it's the morally right thing to do.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I do agree with this sentiment. Probably the most logical post to come out of this debacle, so thank you. I don't know what I was saying in regards to participation, I guess I'm just confused as to how we would get around this and how police joining the force now would have anyway of doing good right from the get go.

I'm genuinely curious, not trying to be cheeky, but how would you change the Police Force?

Did... did I just reach and change the mind of someone I disagreed with online? Did all the time I've wasted on Era just become worth it?

If I could wave a magic wand to change anything I like, I'd probably eliminate the need for a police force to begin with. But since that wand doesn't exist, it falls to individuals to decide with every interaction they make every day they're on the job to place empathy and equality above institutional loyalty. That can mean anything from doing everything possible to deescalate a dangerous situation instead of reaching immediately for your gun to refusing to circle the wagons the moment it looks like a cop might face the slightest hint of consequence for their wrongdoing and instead calling out those abuses of power. If you're a cop joining the force today, do that and try to convince your colleagues of the value in doing so until they fire you. Then you'll have done all that could ever be expected of you and will have earned the elusive moniker of "good cop." If you still really care after that, leverage your time on the force to lobby for institutional change from the outside.

Frankly I think the whole concept of community policing only really works in the fantasy where their ranks are selected from the very best among us to represent our noblest ideals, but that's never going to be the case.

Last edited:

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
And these are the cops that are supposed to protect people from the Proud Boys. Okay then.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Did... did I just reach and change the mind of someone I disagreed with online? Did all the time I've wasted on Era just become worth it?

Instead of going the normal god damn route of being a snarky asshole about things and just yelling, you actually stayed levelheaded lol Something I'm much more prone to listening to.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

Oh, let's dig into this a bit more. How do you draw a reasonable corollary between Trump supporters who by and large support fascist anti-minority police action, and our side who do not?

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
The point of "ACAB" is that the system of policing is inherently corrupt and oppressive and you cannot be "good" in it unless you no longer be a cop.

Both sides!

Deleted member 11046

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Every single cop who breaks the law is a bad cop.
Every single cop who allows other cops to break the law is a bad cop.
Every single cop who shields other cops from the law is a bad cop.
Every single cop who stays silent before, during, or after the law is being broken by other cops is a bad cop.

Generalization? Exactly what part of this do you disagree with, Bitch?

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Not all cops are corrupt, or racist... However, the cops that are not, do not speak up against the ones that are.

Perpetrating and perpetuating means that all cops are bad.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
careful y'all. Left people are being mean on the internet, that's a reason to vote for Trump if I ever saw one. Let's try some #civility.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And yet we never here about a single set of good cops ever protesting the bad cops actions. All cops are trash

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week) - inflammatory point of comparison
A cop that doesn't uphold the law and/or knowingly allows it to be broken by other officers is a bad cop.
A cop that knowingly breaks the law is a bad cop.

Pretty easy, right? If we made a diagram the majority of police officers would fall in one of those two categories. "All" might sound hyperbolic if you're being pedantic, but if you've got to resort to semantics you already lost the point, the plot and the argument.

Out of curiosity, when Trump or his followers claim "all Mexicans are rapists or drug dealers", you think they actually refer to "all" Mexicans or would you call such an assessment hyperbolic as well?

But seriously, you know damn well that unlike yourself some people here are not capable of seeing the nuances here, for them, every cop is bad, and for others out there every Mexican is a rapists or drug dealer, literally. There's simply no room for admitting there are good ones among them, too. Those are the ones I was referring to. And yes, I think people with such a mindset are plain stupid. Both sides, indeed.

Oh, let's dig into this a bit more. How do you draw a reasonable corollary between Trump supporters who by and large support fascist anti-minority police action, and our side who do not?

Simple answer? I wouldn't draw my line there at all. Just because I hate Trump and his followers that doesn't mean I'm automatically on your side, wherever that actually is on the political spectrum.

Last edited:

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, when Trump or his followers claim "all Mexicans are rapists or drug dealers", you think they actually refer to "all" Mexicans or would you call such an assessment hyperbolic as well?

But seriously, you know damn well that unlike yourself some people here are not capable of seeing the nuances here, for them, every cop is bad, and for others out there every Mexican is a rapists or drug dealer, literally. There's simply no room for admitting there are good ones among them, too. Those are the ones I was referring to. And yes, I think people with such a mindset are plain stupid. Both sides, indeed.

Ah yes now we are comparing chosen professions to ethnicity. Cool

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

Being Mexican is not the same thing as being a cop. A cop is a job. A race/ethnicity isn't. Cops choose to work and be paid for that work by the taxes of citizens. Hispanic and Latinx people are born and live their whole lives as a class of people frequently disenfranchised by actual policy in multiple arenas of society from health, to finances, to policing and their own basic human rights. Also, what was significant about Trump saying all Mexicans are rapists and drug dealers is the intent he has as a powerful figure with a wide-reaching influence to treat that rhetoric as reality and to punish thousands of thousands of people based upon his own prejudice for, again not the career they choose but rather immutable skin color. People saying ACAB on this board do not have that same power. This is dead simple shit.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

People were born being police?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
So wait are you saying people are born cops the same way people are born in Mexico? You know they choose to do that right? These things are not remotely similar

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

What in the world is this post? LOL

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On Kitchen Nightmares, multiple cooks featured on the show know the basics of using ingredients to make food that can be consumed and digested. The show is pointedly about how that does not make these cooks good or decent at best. What the show and Ramsey reveal is that being a cook/resturaunt owner in general is about more than just doing the bare minimum. It requires multiple considerations beyond just having a kitchen, utensils, and ingredients. Several of the cooks anger Ramsey because they believe that just because their resturant exists, it means they are or should be respected when that isn't the truth. The same goes for law enforcement. Responding to killers, robberies and other crisies is literally the bare minimum of the job. People attend police academies being aware of this. The part that actually makes an officer good is how they relate to and build trust among their community, how they choose to address situations and most importantly how they respond to criminality that happens right in front of their faces. Being a good officer means actually caring enough about the integrity of the job and the citizens you have immense legal authority over to risk life and reputation to reinforce those very ideals. If you want to be insulted by people calling all cops bad, feel free. But the people in law enforcement across the country who turn a blind eye to these situations and say nothing in response while the levers are pulled to allow this corruption to continue are not good cops.

I don't think those people are bad cops per se. History has shown that speaking out, especially against the cops, can really fuck up your life. To me its more like a good chunk of cops are bad, and the rest of them are just trying to get home to their families without stirring the pot. The cycle only gets worse, because the cops that want to speak out are pushed out of their jobs through retaliation, leaving only the corrupt and the meek.