• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't think those people are bad cops per se. History has shown that speaking out, especially against the cops, can really fuck up your life. To me its more like a good chunk of cops are bad, and the rest of them are just trying to get home to their families without stirring the pot. The cycle only gets worse, because the cops that want to speak out are pushed out of their jobs through retaliation, leaving only the corrupt and the meek.

Cops that don't speak out against bad cops are complicit.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think those people are bad cops per se. History has shown that speaking out, especially against the cops, can really fuck up your life. To me its more like a good chunk of cops are bad, and the rest of them are just trying to get home to their families without stirring the pot. The cycle only gets worse, because the cops that want to speak out are pushed out of their jobs through retaliation, leaving only the corrupt and the meek.
I posted before about this. I'm not gonna pretend it doesn't suck to be targeted by your coworkers and to potentially lose your job. It sucks even more though to not have any trust in the institution built to protect and treat you fairly as a citizen. I don't eschew anyone who says all cops are bad because we as citizens literally bear the brunt of the damage caused by police corruption. We are the ones who have to deal with being framed, crippled or shot dead and end up never receiving justice. In that context I'm not sure why anyone is stressed on the "harsh" and "unfair" language of acab. If you don't want to stir the pot then you don't get to complain when the people who end up as victims have no respect for or interest in watching their language. We don't get paid to respect cops, they get paid to do that for us.

Last edited:

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Old boy could have put makeup on before the robbery to hide his tats. Movie stars do it all the time and what have you. The guy in the mugshot looks dead on the guy in the bank videocam still shot. And i say this as a person thatbelieves implictlty that we have a enormous problem with police corruption in this country.

Robbers ears and suspects ears are a different shape and size. Even taking the angle into account.

I noticed that almost immediately.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
I just cannot agree with this. There are no headlines for cops doing their jobs correctly, because there's no story there. Cops are out there putting their lives on the line, but the dumbfuck cops are the ones being reported on. That's fair. That's journalism. I agree, the Institute is not very good and we need to find a better way of training and unifying community and police force. But I know tons of good people that are cops so disappointed by the takes such as this. Yes there are people that become cops for the wrong reasons, and those are the ones in the headlines. There are also people, an overwhelming majority, that are doing it for the right reasons.

Everyone wants to read the headline that says Cop Does His Job, but no one will actually read it. No one wants to read the headline such as this, but everyone will read it.

The state of the police force is fucked right now, but to say that overwhelming amount of people become cops are bastards? Give me a break.
Have any of the good cops that you've met ever spoke up about all the injustice and crimes other cops commit or do they just stay silent and try to ignore and move on?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Have any of the good cops that you've met ever spoke up about all the injustice and crimes other cops commit or do they just stay silent and try to ignore and move on?
I used to work security and had regular talks with cops, and this might surprise you but, they all thought of themselves as victims, despite their position of power and the fact that the system in place is designed to protect them from any kind of responsibility for their bad actions, including the killing of others when it wasn't necessary.

This was before cameras were required, but goddamn did they bitch about the idea of cameras. I heard it all. Thugs, pay, cameras. You'd think they would just quit the had it so bad but of course they never would.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can argue that police officers who stay silent are not bad people. But a police officer that stays silent while the law is being broken is not upholding the law and is allowing harm to come to those they are sworn to protect. This makes them bad cops, by definition. Their failings as a human, their personal life situations, all that jazz...it just explains why they're a bad cop. It doesn't excuse them, and frankly it's irrelevant.

Out of curiosity, when Trump or his followers claim "all Mexicans are rapists or drug dealers", you think they actually refer to "all" Mexicans or would you call such an assessment hyperbolic as well?
This isn't a topic about Trump's racist remarks, and if it was you'd probably be doing poorly in that discussion as well.

Again:
Cops who break the law are bad cops and criminals.
Cops who protect or ignore criminals are also bad cops.

The vast majority cops fall under one of these categories. I think it's an easily defensible stance to have, especially given how silent police forces are whenever there are incidents of misconduct. That belief is the foundation for my presence in this thread and you've yet to actually address your issue with that specific opinion.

Your reliance on pedantry and semantics as if anyone in this topic gives a damn about whether or not 92.435% or 100% of police officers are rotten just solidifies my disdain and unapologetic hostility for people like you who try to defend American police in the face of overwhelming evidence of their corruption.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can argue that police officers who stay silent are not bad people. But a police officer that stays silent while the law is being broken is not upholding the law and is allowing harm to come to those they are sworn to protect. This makes them bad cops, by definition. Their failings as a human, their personal life situations, all that jazz...it just explains why they're a bad cop. It doesn't excuse them, and frankly it's irrelevant.

This isn't a topic about Trump's racist remarks, and if it was you'd probably be doing poorly in that discussion as well.

Again:

The vast majority cops fall under one of these categories. I think it's an easily defensible stance to have, especially given how silent police forces are whenever there are incidents of misconduct. That belief is the foundation for my presence in this thread and you've yet to actually address your issue with that specific opinion.

Your reliance on pedantry and semantics as if anyone in this topic gives a damn about whether or not 92.435% or 100% of police officers are rotten just solidifies my disdain and unapologetic hostility for people like you who try to defend American police in the face of overwhelming evidence of their corruption.

Go easy on him, dude. English is not his first language...

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Robbers ears and suspects ears are a different shape and size. Even taking the angle into account.

I noticed that almost immediately.

Since you're the only one to actually mention the original topic in ages, I'll reply to you.

This truly is fascinating to me, but I honestly cannot see any of these conclusive differences you and others seem to have spotted. Ultimately I guess it comes down to each individual brain's interpolation of a direct frontal shot into a semi-profile perspective with largely obscured eyes and involving very different attire, lighting, image quality, etc, but fuck if I can't make my own eyes see anything but an entirely plausible similarity.

What about the ears looks different to you? What other specific features look different, and how do they look different? (beyond, of course, the central issue of the facial tattoos)

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Cops who do this deserve live in prison as far as I'm aware. These cops get paid to protect citizens but instead they spend their time trying to get innocent people imprisoned, letting the actual criminal also go in the process. Fuck 'em.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I thought Portland was supposed to be a very progressive city?

It is, but there are old remnants of a dark past still present in Portland and Oregon as a whole. I'm real sick of people bashing Oregon for the history though. The state turned things around considerably and it's now one of the most progressive states in the country with a democratic supermajority in the legislature. Let me know when Alabama and Mississippi—or for that matter MOST states—pass half the progressive legislation we've passed in the last two decades. Let me know when other states have a movement with the sole purpose of pushing back against the far right. People complain about Americans not protesting enough, but that's exactly what Antifa is doing. Yet because it's not a very diverse state somehow we're not progressive enough? Naw bruh.

These Proud Boy dbags are largely from out of state. They don't represent us.

edit: woops, looks like I'm in the wrong thread. >_>

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Deep fakes and AI generates content will soon be very prevalent in public life and used to manipulate and sway public opinion and policy. Police will use to frame innocent people or imprison political rivals.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Deep fakes and AI generates content will soon be very prevalent in public life and used to manipulate and sway public opinion and policy. Police will use to frame innocent people or imprison political rivals.

The cyberpunk future is here, just not quite how we imagined it.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
LMAO, look at this cornball shit right here, lol.

Lol. I know people are actually saying that all cops arent bullshit in this thread.

Just for the record. Usa cops are part of a broken institution. So theyre all bad at their job.

Mainly because they have 0 accountability to anyone besides their unions. So its not really like they have to risk their lives whrn they can shoot innocent people in 4K hd and not have any negative impact on their career. At all.

Thats why i respect firemen and soldiers far more than some dumbass with barely any training shooting at his own shadow daily.

Fuck those clowns.

Deleted member 11046

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here we have a thread about a police force doctoring evidence to frame an American citizen ostensibly innocent of the crime in question. It's heinous, disgusting, outrageous and all manners of upsetting. And yet...this is your first contribution. That sentence, and not the OP and subject matter, is what got you to hit "post reply" in this thread.

People's lives are being ruined and utterly destroyed by police every day and this thread is just yet another example of it. But hey, look at this cornball shit right here. Laughing my ass off. Laughing out loud.

Let's be clear: Wannabe defense force posters who attack low hanging fruit with weak ass drive bys instead of replying to those who will force them to actually engage in the topic at hand are cowards, with not even the self respect to stay fucking silent like the even more pathetic members of American police departments who sit back and watch things like the OP happen.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cops that don't speak out against bad cops are complicit.

Correct.

I posted before about this. I'm not gonna pretend it doesn't suck to be targeted by your coworkers and to potentially lose your job. It sucks even more though to not have any trust in the institution built to protect and treat you fairly as a citizen. I don't eschew anyone who says all cops are bad because we as citizens literally bear the brunt of the damage caused by police corruption. We are the ones who have to deal with being framed, crippled or shot dead and end up never receiving justice. In that context I'm not sure why anyone is stressed on the "harsh" and "unfair" language of acab. If you don't want to stir the pot then you don't get to complain when the people who end up as victims have no respect for or interest in watching their language. We don't get paid to respect cops, they get paid to do that for us.

You know what I realized from this conversation? Its that my privilege has insulated me from police brutality. I do feel that complicit police officers are not necessarily bad people, but I definitely understand the reasoning behind why you can call them bad cops, and I agree.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
16609.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Why do y'all keep trying to explain simple shit to people who are either intentionally disagreeing for the sake of trolling or are just too stupid to understand why cops are trash in the first place? Over and over and over again, y'all make the same arguments to the same people who have already decided to not agree with the message.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. I know people are actually saying that all cops arent bullshit in this thread.

Just for the record. Usa cops are part of a broken institution. So theyre all bad at their job.

Mainly because they have 0 accountability to anyone besides their unions. So its not really like they have to risk their lives whrn they can shoot innocent people in 4K hd and not have any negative impact on their career. At all.

Thats why i respect firemen and soldiers far more than some dumbass with barely any training shooting at his own shadow daily.

Fuck those clowns.
While I don't know what impact such a thing has on anyone's career I wouldn't say US soldiers (or their officers) get held accountable for innocent deaths either...

Firefighters are prob alright though

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't anti-fascist groups try to become police in the way that far-right groups do? If enough were on the same police force I would like to believe they could support each other when standing against bad cops. Is this not a possibility?

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
Seems like Portland police are pretty bad. Why aren't there national reports about their misconduct over the years like with the Phoenix PD? (Or maybe there are and I missed them?)

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Again:

Pretty much this.

The theoretical cop that believes in truth and justice AND ALSO acts out against the instances within their own ranks not only barely exists if at all, but it should be the STANDARD for a cop, not the outlier.

Like, I work in healthcare, if I see someone fucking up I have to report that shit, because holy fuck I'm in healthcare and it's important that we do our jobs correctly. Why would police not be held to the same standard? Purely corrupt bullshit.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
Why don't anti-fascist groups try to become police in the way that far-right groups do? If enough were on the same police force I would like to believe they could support each other when standing against bad cops. Is this not a possibility?

While possible, I would say a good amount of leftists disagree with the concept of a state entirely. So you end up with a problem that the people who gravitate to positions of centralized power and authority (Cops, Politicians, Judges, etc.) tend to be those who either directly enable or are passive to fascist action.