• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Live stream

Portland is bracing for a right-wing rally and a left-wing counter protest Saturday at the downtown waterfront. Several events have been moved or canceled, and the Portland Police Bureau is encouraging Portlanders to spend time other parts of the city that day.

Police sent out a release Tuesday morning about the demonstrations with a map of Portland, showing a variety of events happening throughout the city Saturday, saying "The area of impact is a very small portion of Portland."

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Are Proud Boys a big thing in Portland or are these people flying in?

God, imagine requesting time off and booking a flight to match with the fucking proud boys.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Is the portland cop that was texting with these guys still on the job?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why bother having a counter protest? That's what these idiots want.
Fuck racist shit heads.

God, imagine requesting time off and booking a flight to match with the fucking proud boys.
Driving in.
Is the portland cop that was texting with these guys still on the job?
Most likely.

edit: Yup, now one of the Lieutenants in charge of use of force (fucking Christ). https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeff-niiya-52399188/

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Damn Im going to Portland in a few weeks for vacation. Hope all this shit is over with by then, lol.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
When you are so crazy that gavin mcinnes leaves you, then congrats you are the worst people in the country.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018

A reporter that outs white supremacists got chased out of her home by proud boys from other states. They have no problem flying those assholes out.

When you are so crazy that gavin mcinnes leaves you, then congrats you are the worst people in the country.

Didn't he leave because they were officially labeled a hate group and didn't want the heat? My understanding is he didn't leave because they were too crazy, he's just a coward who couldn't own up to his own actions.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why bother having a counter protest? That's what these idiots want.
Because letting Nazis freely walk the streets and continue indoctrinating our youth is actually a bad thing that deserves having people stand up to?

The fuck?

Hopefully no violence. Never stoop to their level
White supremacists and Nazis are inherently violent. Like its intrinsic to their core beliefs and has a storied history of violent atrocities. The tut tuting over possible violent resistance to this is baffling.

Oct 25, 2017
Because letting Nazis freely walk the streets and continue indoctrinating our youth is actually a bad thing that deserves having people stand up to?

The fuck?
No one is saying 'let them indoctrinate our youth' but genuinely wondering which is more effective or more likely to have that effect: counter-protesting or ignoring, particularly if they are going just to be opposed. This is arguably how they get their ideas in the news on a broad scale and build their organization.

Do we have data on this? Is it even possible to get data on this?

I 100% understand the perspective that they must be opposed, that their hate must be met with resistance and not given free reign, but I personally do not know which is ultimately most effective at ensuring their garbage isn't disseminated or adopted.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So just let Proud Boys go unchallenged? Fuck that.

At this point all these guys want is a fight so by showing up to counterprotest you are just feeding into them.

It's the reason they are protesting in Portland of all places one of the most progressive cities in America.They are only there to incite violence.

Oct 27, 2017

The fuck?

White supremacists and Nazis are inherently violent. Like its intrinsic to their core beliefs and has a storied history of violent atrocities. The tut tuting over possible violent resistance to this is baffling.

Happens in every thread. Sometimes punching assholes in the face works. Hell, we used to shoot the fuckers.

At this point all these guys want is a fight so by showing up to counterprotest you are just feeding into them.

It's the reason they are protesting in Portland of all places. They are only there to incite violence.

This is also very true though.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No one is saying 'let them indoctrinate our youth' but genuinely wondering which is more effective or more likely to have that effect: counter-protesting or ignoring, particularly if they are going just to be opposed. This is arguably how they get their ideas in the news on a broad scale and build their organization.

I 100% understand the perspective that they must be opposed, that their hate must be met with resistance and not given free reign, but I personally do not know which is ultimately most effective at ensuring their garbage isn't disseminated or adopted.
Deplatforming works, ignoring has a history of allowing them to grow unimpeded. Richard Spencer is nowhere near these rallies or going to colleges anymore. And it has everything to do with him being punched in the face. Not that I am advocating that people should be using violent means to protest or deplatform, but that among the most notorious and powerful supremacists in this country, its been a rather large success. Other forms of protest involves going to these events and photographing everyone there. Then trying to find out where they work and let their employers know about it. Regardless of the actual means of counter protesting, I think its incredibly important to let these people know that if they want to show up and have a parade about white supremacy and nazism, that theyre going to face strong resistance and hopefully strong consequences.

Nov 2, 2017

Are you seriously asking if it's more effective to just let nazis spread their propaganda or to fight back against them? Because, come the fuck on, this sounds like a bad troll.

If you leave food out and you start to notice that you have ants, do you clean your house? Or do you ignore them because you're worried that cleaning up might attract more ants and if you just leave the ants alone they're sure to just go away on their own?

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018

I haven't seen a group as big as the Unite the Right rally since Charlottesville. I believe it's because these counter protests work. The more afraid they are to spread their hate the better.

Edit: Although I will admit they do this because they know the news cycle and the shitbag right will paint Antifa as the villains. But they're going to do that anyway.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I hope the Antifas defend themselves and the community to the fullest of their ability.

Fuck Nazis.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully all my antifa peeps keep an eye out on the cops too. You know those fuckers are on the PB side.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When will the majority of era realize that staying civil, keeping the "higher ground", and no violence is worth it, is EXACTLY why fascism is growing unchecked in this country, dems and liberals are so concerned they keep handing shit over to appear civil and more moral.

Oct 25, 2017
Are you seriously asking if it's more effective to just let nazis spread their propaganda or to fight back against them? Because, come the fuck on, this sounds like a bad troll.

If you leave food out and you start to notice that you have ants, do you clean your house? Or do you ignore them because you're worried that cleaning up might attract more ants and if you just leave the ants alone they're sure to just go away on their own?
This is at least an interesting analogy but I'm not sure it works? Cleaning my house definitively helps prevent the spread of ants. Cleaning my house will not then be broadcast to other insects that there are ants and maybe there are caterpillars with unarticulated frustrations and biases and bigotry and gee ants have some attractive ideas and may provide them with a sense of identity of group belonging that they'd been unable to find elsewhere so maybe becoming an ant is something they could explore.

What are the actual scenarios here (ie, with antifa and without)? This is now an international news story and the event hasn't even happened yet. Would it have been that way without the city bracing for conflict? Or would the fascist fucks have spent some time downtown shouting into the abyss while the rest of the country and world went unaware?

Again, I think counter-protesting has an impact on framing and shaming their views but it also helps disseminate their ideas and give publicity to their organization. What is the net effect over time?

I haven't seen a group as big as the Unite the Right rally since Charlottesville. I believe it's because these counter protests work. The more afraid they are to spread their hate the better.
If that's the case then that's exactly what I want to hear. Protesting is important. My only concern is the viral nature of ideas and how they are spread now in modern society.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
When will the majority of era realize that staying civil, keeping the "higher ground", and no violence is worth it, is EXACTLY why fascism is growing unchecked in this country, dems and liberals are so concerned they keep handing shit over to appear civil and more moral.
Forcible suppression of opposition is part of the definition of fascism. I think there is a fine line to be walked. If the far left is perceived as instigators of violence then the message is lost and you play right into how the right will spin things. Why give them ammo? Self defense on the other hand is perfectly justifiable.

Oct 27, 2017
My only concern is the viral nature of ideas and how they are spread now in modern

I think videos of them walking in downtown PDX with no push-back just emboldens the fascists to replacate that elsewhere. If these assholes have to worry that one of them goes off and hurts or kills someone--especially a bystander--they're gonna be splashed on the news, doxxed and then probably fired if they're employed, they're gonna think real hard about showing up to support the bois